Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline petestra  
#1 Posted : 20 August 2015 13:26:23(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I have a question for you digital experts here in the forum. I have been operating digital with 2 x MS2s for almost 2 years now. I was wondering if

I switch over to the Central Station will I have to change all of my red wires to the larger gauge wire? Right now my whole layout uses the standard

sized Marklin wire. I have feeder wires every 8 track sections throughout the layout and it operates beautifully with the MS2s. If I must rewire all

red wiring can I just make a red wire loop with the larger gauge wire and connect up existing red wires to it or must I use the larger gauge wires

all the way to the track sections? Cheers,Peter Smile
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2015 14:31:06(UTC)
H0

Hi, Peter,

Official Märklin information is: You need thicker wires for the 100 VA power supply. And you must not use the 100 VA power supply for H0 layouts.

However, even with the 60 VA power supply (IIRC only 55 VA for US) you still may need thicker wires if overload detection does not work reliably on distant spots of the layout.

If you upgrade: upgrade red and brown wires at the same time.

Do you know the gauge of your current wires? Preferably in mm² ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2015 16:32:59(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Peter,

Official Märklin information is: You need thicker wires for the 100 VA power supply. And you must not use the 100 VA power supply for H0 layouts.

However, even with the 60 VA power supply (IIRC only 55 VA for US) you still may need thicker wires if overload detection does not work reliably on distant spots of the layout.

If you upgrade: upgrade red and brown wires at the same time.

Do you know the gauge of your current wires? Preferably in mm² ...

Hi Tom. No, I don't. But it's the boxed wire that Marklin, Brawa sell. It would be a very big job to bring those wires to every 8 sections of track. The overhead I would

leave for analog control as I have now when I switch over and back from analog to digital and back. As I am converting more and more loks to digital I am running

analog less and less. I think I'll keep the MS2s. I was hoping that you'd answer. Thanks so much for your super expert advice. Cheers,Peter Cool
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2015 16:57:04(UTC)
H0

For the 100 VA power supply Märklin require a minimum diameter of 0.5 mm².
The cables from the 71060 pack have 0.75 mm² - enough for any CS2.

Some cables have 0.14 mm² - just enough for the MS2 with 1.9 A.
Some cables have 0.27 mm² - I think that's enough for a CS2 with up to 60 VA.

I think Brawa sell cables of different gauges.

If your cables are much thicker than those coming out of the MS2 trackbox, then they should be OK for a CS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline rbw993  
#5 Posted : 20 August 2015 17:17:03(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Peter,
You don't have to replace all the feeder wires to the track. You can just connect the track feeder wires to a heavier main bus wire. All of the smaller feeders in effect add up to a larger wire anyway.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 20 August 2015 18:51:57(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Peter,
You don't have to replace all the feeder wires to the track. You can just connect the track feeder wires to a heavier main bus wire. All of the smaller feeders in effect add up to a larger wire anyway.

Regards,
Roger

Hi Roger. Yes, I was wondering about just making new thick wires red and brown loops and connecting the reds/browns to their respective loops of thick wire? I assume

this is what you mean? Thanks, PeterCool
Offline rbw993  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2015 19:03:48(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Exactly Peter. That will provide the red and brown main.

Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline petestra  
#8 Posted : 21 August 2015 14:02:00(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi. I just received this info from Märklin;

Dear Mr. Fragasso,
thanks for your question.
The copper conductors of stranded 7100 and the following consists of 24 individual wires each of diameter 0.10 mm, giving a total cross-section of 0.19 mm².
We hope that this information help you.

Sincerely yours,

your account manager
Selma Reisert

Thanks again for all you help, Tom and Roger. Peter.
Offline biedmatt  
#9 Posted : 21 August 2015 14:42:12(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
The concern over wire gauge and available power (VA or watts) is if you use to light a guage wire and there is a short circuit, the wire may burn up before the short circuit protection can prevent the burned wire. Like wiring a house, use 10 gauge wire with a 30 amp breaker. Use a 15 amp breaker with 14 gauge wire. Use 14 gauge wire on a 30 amp breaker and you may end up with a charcoal lump in which to live. The breaker won't trip, the wire will overheat and you will have a fire. For those who may be unfamiliar, the smaller the gauge wire, the larger it is and it can handle more power without burning up.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 21 August 2015 15:07:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tom. No, I don't. But it's the boxed wire that Marklin, Brawa sell......Cool

If it is the Brawa 3152 wire that Peter refers to, the cross sectional area is 0.140 mm2.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz