Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2015 03:39:33(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Hello all,
Last night I was running couple of my trains with the infrared controller that came with my 29163. After controlling with the remote for sometime, it stopped working. When I tried with another IR control, which I had, the trains moved. What could be the reason for this? I checked batteries, power feed connector and the transformer. No problems found with them as the trains moved with another remote. Please help
P.S.: Even though I have MS2, I rely heavily on IR control when it comes to quick set up and tear down.

Here is an image of the IR remote:
Link from google Image Search

Edited by user 19 August 2015 03:37:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2015 11:52:30(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Madhu,

I think the infra red remotes have an auto-shutoff when they've been left with trains running for a while. Could this have been your problem?

I hope you get it sorted soon!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2015 12:16:41(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Madhu,

The easiest way to check if the remote is OK is to point it at digital camera, like your computer or mobile phone.

You will see the flash when you press a button.

Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2015 19:21:22(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Madhu,

I think the infra red remotes have an auto-shutoff ...........

Ray, I was operating the buttons in quick succession. So definitely inactive time limit was not at all reached. I just started one train, switched on the light, increased the speed. That's it. It just stopped working

Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Madhu,

The easiest way to check if the remote is OK is to point it at digital camera, like your computer or mobile phone.

You will see the flash when you press a button.

Whoa! that was cool! I checked it against my mobile phone camera and the remote is working. i.e. I do see the flash when I press the buttons. But the trains just wont move. However with another IR remote, it just works fine. Weird!

Regards,
Madhu
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2015 19:28:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post

Ray, I was operating the buttons in quick succession. So definitely inactive time limit was not at all reached. I just started one train, switched on the light, increased the speed. That's it. It just stopped working

Is the light a fluorescent lamp or low energy lamp? I have had problems with these when turned on and then I immediately try and use the TV remote. It seems that during the warm up phase they emit enough infrared or UV light to overwhelm the remote control receiver. A minute or two later (like the amount of time it took you to get the other controller) the lamps will have warmed up enough and the receiver will see the controller again.

Shouldn't be a problem with old tungsten filament light bulbs or LED lamps.

Have you tried the 'faulty' controller again with the lights off? If you haven't it is probably worth doing.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#6 Posted : 17 August 2015 19:58:51(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Is the light a fluorescent lamp or low energy lamp? I have had problems with these when turned on and then I immediately try and use the TV remote. It seems that during the warm up phase they emit enough infrared or UV light to overwhelm the remote control receiver. A minute or two later (like the amount of time it took you to get the other controller) the lamps will have warmed up enough and the receiver will see the controller again.

Shouldn't be a problem with old tungsten filament light bulbs or LED lamps.

Have you tried the 'faulty' controller again with the lights off? If you haven't it is probably worth doing.

I tried the steps suggested by you, KiwiAlan. After a little while it worked. Thank you!
But I still did not understand why this is happening now? I've been operating with this remote since 4 years. Could you explain this sentence of yours a bit more " I have had problems with these when turned on and then I immediately try and use the TV remote." ?

Regards,
Madhu
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 18 August 2015 18:01:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I tried the steps suggested by you, KiwiAlan. After a little while it worked. Thank you!
But I still did not understand why this is happening now? I've been operating with this remote since 4 years. Could you explain this sentence of yours a bit more " I have had problems with these when turned on and then I immediately try and use the TV remote." ?

Regards,
Madhu

In our lounge we have some wall lights that are fitted with candle type low energy bulbs, these were the 'fluorescent lamp' type which take a little while to warm up to full brightness (they are now LED ones, so the problem doesn't happen now). I could use the TV remote to work the TV (change channels or volume, etc) but immediately after turning on the wall lamps the remote would no longer work. After a couple of minutes the remote would work again, once the bulbs had 'warmed up' and were putting out full brightness.

I suspect you are seeing a similar effect, without knowing your house layout and type of bulbs you are using.

happy to help.

Alan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Jay  
#8 Posted : 18 August 2015 19:51:58(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi Madhu thanks for starting the topic and Alan for the explanation and a remedy for the problem.I have not encounted the problem myself
but am fascinated by the phenomenon.
J
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jay
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#9 Posted : 19 August 2015 03:37:02(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   

In our lounge we have some wall lights that are fitted with candle type low energy bulbs, these were the 'fluorescent lamp' type which take a little while to warm up to full brightness (they are now LED ones, so the problem doesn't happen now). I could use the TV remote to work the TV (change channels or volume, etc) but immediately after turning on the wall lamps the remote would no longer work. After a couple of minutes the remote would work again, once the bulbs had 'warmed up' and were putting out full brightness.

I suspect you are seeing a similar effect, without knowing your house layout and type of bulbs you are using.

happy to help.

Alan

Lovely explanation Alan! Thank you and I'm changing the status of this question to solved.

Best regards
Madhu
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 19 August 2015 18:18:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

happy to help.

Alan

Lovely explanation Alan! Thank you and I'm changing the status of this question to solved.

Best regards
Madhu

You are welcome Madhu, I must admit it is an odd problem.

@Jay, I haven't come across it elsewhere, I suspect it is only a limited range of these bulbs that do it, some take a while to 'warm up', others do seem to give full light output almost immediately, and I suspect they won't have the problem.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Jay
Offline Webmaster  
#11 Posted : 19 August 2015 19:50:56(UTC)
Webmaster

Low energy bulbs can indeed take a while before they are fully functional after turned on, and indeed they emit reddish/purple - at least some of them, before they are fully shining after several minutes...

Interesting phenomenon, this effect on IR remotes - you learn something new in the forum every day... ThumpUp
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline baggio  
#12 Posted : 20 August 2015 03:29:36(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I guess you checked the back of the remote to make sure you matched the position input (1,2,3,4) to the train you were trying to control?

Also, did you try to lift the loco off its tracks and put it back on? When I did this on my set, the loco sound came back....

Offline madhu.gn.71  
#13 Posted : 20 August 2015 05:18:11(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
I guess you checked the back of the remote to make sure you matched the position input (1,2,3,4) to the train you were trying to control?

Also, did you try to lift the loco off its tracks and put it back on? When I did this on my set, the loco sound came back....

Yes Baggio. All the basic troubleshooting was done. Address was set right, hard reset was done by unplugging the transformer from the wall socket, loco re-positioned and battery checked. If I may recall, just before this incident, one of my loco's pantograph (this is a dummy pantograph on the loco from start pack 29752) brushed against the tunnel portal ceiling and the loco got derailed. I disconnected the main AC power source immediately, lifted the train and placed it back in position. After that remote had stopped working.

Now it is working fine