Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nite0wls  
#1 Posted : 14 August 2015 15:59:22(UTC)
Nite0wls

United Kingdom   
Dear all,

I've recently joined the forum. I have been driving Marklin H0 since I got my first train set for my 8th Birthday not over 40 years ago.
Due to moving around a lot of the time it has been mothballed but I have now taken up the challenge to convert the whole set I have to Digital, as that was what I did set out on about 11 years ago.

I recently converted the Steam loc I got in my first set to a High Performance (HP) Engine 60943 and a digital decoder. The loc was running fine on the old Analog SFCM engine but after conversion the engine makes a terrible sound when it gets to a higher speed and the loc performance degrades with the sound.

When I press sideways against the axle from the rotor, the sound disappears so I figured that there was some issue with the bearing of the rotor. The old rotor has a slightly longer part that sticks into the metal of the loc than the new rotor has, about 2mm more, what, I guess, is quite a significant difference for the stability of the rotor.

I found that the new rotor has a give in the axel direction of .5 mm and the permanent magnet pulls the rotor that .5 mm out the bearing, what leaves a meager 1.5 mm of support. so I tried to fill the space between the rotor and the cover plate with a small ring to prevent the .5 mm movement (unfortunate that ring is .6 mm so I need to keep the motor plate screws lose to not lock the rotor).

It solved the problem of the awful squeaking noise at higher speeds and the performance degradation that came with that, but I need some proper shim washers with a inner diameter bore of 1.5 mm and an outer diameter of 3.5 mm max and a thickness of .3 or .4 mm max

I've been browsing internet now for a good week but have not been able to find anything that is usable.
Because the ring is going to be on the collector side of the rotor, I'm looking for some non-metalic shim washer.

Does any of you have knowledge, idea's or suggestions of such a product?
Thanks and warm regards!
Rudy
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 14 August 2015 20:41:40(UTC)
Webmaster

At a glimpse, to me it sounds like there is a drop of oil needed where the rotor axle end goes through the plastic motor cover....
That is one of the 5-pole DCM drawbacks, that point must be oiled now and then or there will be a "screeching pig" noise and a stuttering in harmony with the noise.

Could the motor cover be ever so slightly misaligned, or the motor cover screwed on too tight? Very easy to do with these conversions, have done it myself...

Regarding the shim needed, I don't know where to find such except to make it yourself... A piece of plastic material and a drill paired with patience...
Others might know of better solutions...

The closest thing I can find is this, a spare part for glasses. Maybe a visit to your nearest optician can solve it? Just a crazy idea...

plastbricka.JPG
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2015 22:54:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Which screws did you use to assemble the motor with - the original screws or the screws that came in the kit? The screws that come in the kit can often be a bit longer than the originals (sometimes they are needed if the new magnet is thicker than the original field coil), and if they are used they can cramp up the motor too tight. If you used the kit screws, try using the original screws to see if this fixes your problem.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!
Offline Nite0wls  
#4 Posted : 15 August 2015 00:12:42(UTC)
Nite0wls

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
At a glimpse, to me it sounds like there is a drop of oil needed where the rotor axle end goes through the plastic motor cover....
That is one of the 5-pole DCM drawbacks, that point must be oiled now and then or there will be a "screeching pig" noise and a stuttering in harmony with the noise.

Could the motor cover be ever so slightly misaligned, or the motor cover screwed on too tight? Very easy to do with these conversions, have done it myself...

Regarding the shim needed, I don't know where to find such except to make it yourself... A piece of plastic material and a drill paired with patience...
Others might know of better solutions...

The closest thing I can find is this, a spare part for glasses. Maybe a visit to your nearest optician can solve it? Just a crazy idea...

plastbricka.JPG

Hi,

Thanks for that advice, I looked at that and the lubrication but no joy. I'm located in the UK, so I'll try the opticians to see if they can help.
Tightness of the screws was not the issue, the horizontal space is definitely causing a problem here.
Thanks and warm regards!
Rudy
Offline Nite0wls  
#5 Posted : 15 August 2015 00:18:28(UTC)
Nite0wls

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Which screws did you use to assemble the motor with - the original screws or the screws that came in the kit? The screws that come in the kit can often be a bit longer than the originals (sometimes they are needed if the new magnet is thicker than the original field coil), and if they are used they can cramp up the motor too tight. If you used the kit screws, try using the original screws to see if this fixes your problem.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

I used the new screws, the original ones are to short. I can't make the rotor lock up by tightening the screws, like I said when the screws are normally fastened the rotor stile has an horizontal give of 0.5 mm.

Thanks and warm regards!
Rudy
Offline Nite0wls  
#6 Posted : 30 August 2015 19:09:59(UTC)
Nite0wls

United Kingdom   
Update on this,

For one a bit oil did the trick, for nr. two, it didn't.
No luck with the rings, no optician here seems to "repair" glasses these days...
Thanks and warm regards!
Rudy
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nite0wls
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 31 August 2015 09:34:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
In my experience, this squeaking noise is often related to the pressure exerted on the brushes by the little coil springs. Remove the brushes, check for signs of wear and reduce the tension on the springs a little. Let me know if this solves the issue.

Regards

Mike C