Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MalinAC  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2015 16:45:21(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi guys ,I was checking out ebay and came across a db800k / 3016 rail bus .Nobody had bid on yet so I put in the starting bid to see how high it would go.Well nobody else bid so I won it .The add said it was unboxed and might need some work.Its the model with clear traction tires ,reverse lever under the body and both ends of the power unit has a roof winow and trailing unit has one roof window. I cleaned it all up and oiled it ,put in new brushes but when I went to change the slider which is grooved and has a bent spring on it, I found the wire which goes to the slider is soldered to it and has no slack.As my hands shake too much I cant change the slider.When I ran the unit I had to turn the switch to max speed before it would run and then I could set the speed to a more realistic one. Then every time I changed direction I had to go to max speed and once running lower the speed. Is this a reverse unit problem or is the bad slider causing it. The grey paint around the windows has faded in places and both units are a different red .It did come in an orange Marklin box and a black and white sticker with 3016 on it.The number on the power unit is 959190 . I would appreciate any help Confused Confused
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2015 18:07:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
I cleaned it all up and oiled it ,put in new brushes but when I went to change the slider which is grooved and has a bent spring on it, I found the wire which goes to the slider is soldered to it and has no slack.

When you say 'cleaned it up', how far did you dismantle it? This sounds like it could be wear on the gears or axles, or there may still be old gummy oil around. This could well be why you need to go to max speed to start it running and can then turn the speed down.

On a unit of that age I think you need to have a close look at the gears, I remember my dad servicing locos that had been run so much the gear teeth were thin spikes instead of nicely formed gear teeth they were that worn. Also make sure the motor shield is properly centered on the motor axle shaft. Take the brushes out and you should be able to spin the motor readily by pushing the wheels with your thumbs. If it won't turn readily slacken the screws that hold the motor shield and try pushing the wheels with your thumbs again, then nip the screws up and check it still turns OK.

It sounds like someone had problems soldering the wire when replacing the pickup shoe sometime in the past, and has cut the wire back to make a new joint. I'm sure you could find someone around nearby who could solder in a new piece of wire for you. Anyone with experience in electronics should be able to help you, they don't specifically need to be model railroad oriented to do that.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline MalinAC  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2015 18:25:11(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Alan, when i said cleaned it I should have said any dirt or hairs etc I could see without actually taking anything apart. What I could see of the gears looked good.I will take out the brushes and see if it moves ok. If it is a case of bad gears or axles is it worth the trouble and expence to repair it as it only cost me £20. Thanks Eddie
Offline Shamu  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2015 06:49:51(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Eddie,

Great buy for the money...... at least you'd never find one locally for that sort of dosh and no way the pair.

So long as the gears are in decent shape and its not gummed up in hidden places the worst case scenario you splurge on a 60943 5 pole motor kit and a cheep decoder of your choice and Bobs your uncle BigGrin Or I'm sure someone on here could donate a FX or older one to drive it. I'm positive I've got a spare new virgin FX which would fit in a letter to spud country for bugger all.

OH, and a new shoe Blushing
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline MalinAC  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2015 08:10:22(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Thanks Shane, I should have said it only cost 20 Euro, not £.My laptop only has £ $ icons. I do have a new slider for it.I will do some more checking out on it. As it does still run I might just leave as is. Take care Eddie Cool Cool Cool