Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline anderspihl  
#1 Posted : 19 July 2015 12:53:10(UTC)
anderspihl

Denmark   
Dear fellow Märklin users

Since I put my 20 year old Rheingold wagon set into operation on my layout, I experience regularly blinking signals accompanied by a tiny squealing sound. The Rheingold wagons with a classic interior light and pickup shoe is the definite root cause. I know because the issue disappears when I remove the car with the pickup shoe. According to the CS2 info there is plenty of power. So what can be the reason and what is the solution ?

Any ideas out there 😀

Best regards

Anders Pihl Knudsen

Best regards
Anders Pihl Knudsen
--
CS2 60213+MS1, 60052 60VA Trafo, K-tracks, Viessmann 5211 (K83)
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2015 13:20:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: anderspihl Go to Quoted Post

Since I put my 20 year old Rheingold wagon set into operation on my layout, I experience regularly blinking signals accompanied by a tiny squealing sound. The Rheingold wagons with a classic interior light and pickup shoe is the definite root cause. I know because the issue disappears when I remove the car with the pickup shoe. According to the CS2 info there is plenty of power. So what can be the reason and what is the solution ?

Any ideas out there 😀

Best regards

Anders Pihl Knudsen

The pick up shoe can produce some noise that can appear to be high pitched. It may be worth checking the spring pressure on the pickup shoe, there is a diagram in the pamphlet that comes with the coaches that shoes the correct position for the shoe.

Also if the shoe has 'vibration' marks in the wear pattern where it has rubbed the track studs then it is probably worth replacing it as this exacerbates any tendency for the shoe to make noise.

As to the behaviour of the signals, it could be that the vibrations of the pickup shoe on the coach is creating an interference signal that is interfering with the signal decoders, and causing them to think there is a message on the track that is changing the state of the signal.
Offline efel  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2015 13:24:45(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,

Squealing (and bad contact) may be due to the ground spring contacting the axel. Some graphite on the axle improves things.
Pencil with B lead grade-or so- will do the job.

Fred
Offline anderspihl  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2015 18:22:32(UTC)
anderspihl

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Any ideas out there 😀

Best regards

Anders Pihl Knudsen

As to the behaviour of the signals, it could be that the vibrations of the pickup shoe on the coach is creating an interference signal that is interfering with the signal decoders, and causing them to think there is a message on the track that is changing the state of the signal.

Thanks for replying kiwiAlan and others.

For the record: It's an "electrical" squealing similar to the sound when an MFX decoder is read for the first time. The squealing sounds in sequences of aprox 5. There is about 10 seconds between each sequence. The " squealing rythm" matches the blinking of the signals, and it also appears even when the wagons are stopped. I suspect the interior lightning for inteferring with the track power, but I am not sure if this is a valid theory, or how to remedy.

BR

Anders

Best regards
Anders Pihl Knudsen
--
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2015 21:18:20(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

20 year old interior lightning might have capacitors, which is a "killer" for the digital signal.

( I don't know, just guessing )

There should be a rectifier as the first thing in the electrical system in the coaches.

Can you take a picture of the interior lightning in one of the coaches?

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2015 04:07:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Anders:

Which model number are your Rheingold coaches? There were several editions of the 4228. There were sets with steam engine and other sets with just coaches: 26506, 26750, 26751, 41928, 41929 and 42283.

Most, if not all of these sets came with current conducting couplings.

The first suggestion would be to test the coach with the slider alone. If the slider is the cause of the noise, it should occur if the coach is running alone.
Do you have another coach equipped with a slider and current conducting coupler? If yes, test this coach with the rest of the Rheingold consist to see if there is an issue with the consist itself. If yes, remove one coach at a time until you have narrowed down the problem to a specific coach.
You should also inspect the axle (ground) contacts, as they can cause friction against the axles and a weak spot can cause sparks which could cause signal lights to dim if the signals are powered from the same source as the track.

My next question is whether the problem only appears when the train is moving or does it also occur when stationary (Stopped)?
The first would likely be mechanical in nature and the latter likely electrical.

When you refer to blinking signals, are you referring to the track signals (red/green) or to the train markers (end of train)?
The track signals get their power (lights) from the ground (brown) and from a separate yellow cable from the transformer. The blue is used to carry a live signal to the solenoid to activate the function.
I believe that this requires a separate power source than a MS2/CS2. You will need to connect the brown from a transformer to the outer rails and the yellow to the signals in order to have proper operation of lights. The signal (only if controlled by a decoder, gets the solenoid power via the track) and likely still needs a separate power source for the lights.

If after all this, you continue to have issues, please post with as much information as possible so that we can further assist you.

Regards

Mike C
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2015 14:25:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

The track signals get their power (lights) from the ground (brown) and from a separate yellow cable from the transformer. The blue is used to carry a live signal to the solenoid to activate the function.

Well, as he states he is using a CS2 I am assuming he is using an s88 or similar for the signals, in which case the CS2 will be supplying the power for the signals, not a seperate transformer.

Yes it is an assumption on my part, and needs clarification, but the statement above is an even bigger assumption without any reason to believe they may be powered that way.

Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2015 20:40:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am not an expert on digital operation of signals. Do they fully use the track voltage and digital controls or do they still require the connection of an external power supply to power the LEDs/bulbs as the case may be?

Regards

Mike C
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 21 July 2015 18:39:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I am not an expert on digital operation of signals. Do they fully use the track voltage and digital controls or do they still require the connection of an external power supply to power the LEDs/bulbs as the case may be?

Regards

Mike C

k83 devices use the track power. Viessmann made a k83 equivalent that could be run from separate power if desired. I am not familiar with the current k83 derivatives that marklin make, so don't know if they can use separate power.

Previous posts I said s88 when I should have said k83 ... Blushing

Offline anderspihl  
#10 Posted : 22 July 2015 11:13:04(UTC)
anderspihl

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

20 year old interior lightning might have capacitors, which is a "killer" for the digital signal.

( I don't know, just guessing )

There should be a rectifier as the first thing in the electrical system in the coaches.

Can you take a picture of the interior lightning in one of the coaches?

Per.

Cool

Hi Per,

Sorry for the late response. Family holiday keeps me away from trains and computers BigGrin

Anyway, below please see two pictures of the lightning

2015-07-21 15.39.24.jpg2015-07-21 15.38.59.jpg

BR

/Anders
Best regards
Anders Pihl Knudsen
--
Offline anderspihl  
#11 Posted : 22 July 2015 11:45:59(UTC)
anderspihl

Denmark   
Anders:

Which model number are your Rheingold coaches? There were several editions of the 4228. There were sets with steam engine and other sets with just coaches: 26506, 26750, 26751, 41928, 41929 and 42283.

Most, if not all of these sets came with current conducting couplings.

The first suggestion would be to test the coach with the slider alone. If the slider is the cause of the noise, it should occur if the coach is running alone.
Do you have another coach equipped with a slider and current conducting coupler? If yes, test this coach with the rest of the Rheingold consist to see if there is an issue with the consist itself. If yes, remove one coach at a time until you have narrowed down the problem to a specific coach.
You should also inspect the axle (ground) contacts, as they can cause friction against the axles and a weak spot can cause sparks which could cause signal lights to dim if the signals are powered from the same source as the track.

My next question is whether the problem only appears when the train is moving or does it also occur when stationary (Stopped)?
The first would likely be mechanical in nature and the latter likely electrical.

When you refer to blinking signals, are you referring to the track signals (red/green) or to the train markers (end of train)?
I believe that this requires a separate power source than a MS2/CS2. You will need to connect the brown from a transformer to the outer rails and the yellow to the signals in order to have proper operation of lights. The signal (only if controlled by a decoder, gets the solenoid power via the track) and likely still needs a separate power source for the lights.

If after all this, you continue to have issues, please post with as much information as possible so that we can further assist you.

Regards

Mike C

Sorry for the late response. Family holiday keeps me busy.

1) Train set number
The train set number is 4228 with current conducting couplers gaining power from the luggage car with the pickup / slider.

2) Testing
I tested like you proposed and the results are remarkable:

• The waggons do not seem to CAUSE the pulsing
  • The pulse is present permanently but silently. Mostly with only one pulse 1 per 10 seconds, but sometimes 10 pulses per 10 seconds.
  • However two of the cars (without slider) amplify the pulsing, adds resonance aka. the squealing sound, and pulses remain 10 per pulse sequence.
  • The phenomenon occurs both when driving and at stand still.
  • Cleaning wheels does not change anything, so I intend to replace all current conducting couplers with new ones.

3) Blinking
    The blinking refers to the track signals and lamps on the switch tracks. They are connected to Viesmann 5211 (k83) solenoid decoders according to instructions including light (yellow) wire. Perhaps I will add a separate power source in the future.

So:

I think I can conclude that the waggons are not the root cause of the pulsing issue, but they seem to amplify it somehow. Maybe new current couplers can reduce the issue. Time will show.

Thanks.

/Anders

• Best regards
    Anders Pihl Knudsen
    --
    Offline anderspihl  
    #12 Posted : 22 July 2015 12:21:05(UTC)
    anderspihl

Denmark   

Well, as he states he is using a CS2 I am assuming he is using an s88 or similar for the signals, in which case the CS2 will be supplying the power for the signals, not a seperate transformer.

Yes it is an assumption on my part, and needs clarification, but the statement above is an even bigger assumption without any reason to believe they may be powered that way.

Hi,

Please receive this elaboration:

The general wiring conept is as follows:

CS2 -> Patch panels
    Patch panels -> Feeder tracks
    Patch panels -> Viessmann K83 decoders

CS2 details:
    --
    Red -> "Red" patch panel
    Brown -> "Brown" patch panel

Track power:
    --
    Red patch panel -> multiple feeder tracks
    Brown patch panel -> multiple feeder tracks

Viessmann 5211 decoders:
    --
    Red patch panel -> Red power feed in the decoder
    Brown patch panel -> Brown ground plug in the decoder
    Further cabling follows the instructions in the Viessmann manual

Signals:
    --
    Red -> Viessmann 5211 (K83) red
    Green -> Viessmann 5211 (k83) green
    Yellow -> Viessmann 5211 (k83) yellow
    Ground: Separate brown in the ground plug in the signal base -> brown ground at separate transformer

K-tracks Switches / turnouts
    --

I hope it makes sense BigGrin

BR

Anders
    Best regards
    Anders Pihl Knudsen
    --
    Offline efel  
    #13 Posted : 22 July 2015 13:46:08(UTC)
    efel

France   
    Hi Anders,

It's not quite clear to me:

Red patch panel -> Red power feed in the decoder
    Brown patch panel -> Brown ground plug in the decoder
    Further cabling follows the instructions in the Viessmann manual

Viessmann manual allows 2 cabling possibilities: with or witout external trafo. Which one do you use? If you use an external trafo, it must not be the trafo used to power the CS2, but a extra trafo.

Signals:
    --
    Ground: Separate brown in the ground plug in the signal base -> brown ground at separate transformer

Is the "separate transformer" an extra trafo? If yes, where is connected the "hot" trafo output?

As a rule: the trafo that feeds the cs2 must be connected ONLY to the CS2, without any other electrical derivation. If you want to connect the 5211 to a trafo (it's not mandatory) , it must be extra one.
    The ground of the signal bases must not be connected either to the ground of the trafo feeding the CS2.

BR

Fred
    thanks 1 user liked this useful post by efel
    H0
    Offline Shamu  
    #14 Posted : 22 July 2015 13:47:43(UTC)
    Shamu

Australia   
    Hi Anders,

Just curious..... are these the only metal passenger coaches you have ???

Going off on a tangent I'm thinking they are acting like a aerial.
    Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
    Offline anderspihl  
    #15 Posted : 22 July 2015 15:47:57(UTC)
    anderspihl

Denmark   
    Originally Posted by: efel Go to Quoted Post
    Hi Anders,

Viessmann manual allows 2 cabling possibilities: with or witout external trafo. Which one do you use? If you use an external trafo, it must not be the trafo used to power the CS2, but a extra trafo.

Hi Efel/Fred, thanks for joining my topic.

I don't use external trafo for the Viessmann 5211 decoders. They are fed by the red / brown track power. However, to ensure maximum throughput, I distribute track power via the previously mentioned patch panels and direct cabling. I only feed components that are allowed feeding by track power.

Is the "separate transformer" an extra trafo? If yes, where is connected the "hot" trafo output?

Separate transformer = external trafo = extra trafo. Signals only use ground / brown. They get light/yellow from the yellow plug on the decoder.

As a rule: the trafo that feeds the cs2 must be connected ONLY to the CS2, without any other electrical derivation. If you want to connect the 5211 to a trafo (it's not mandatory) , it must be extra one.

True. My CS2 trafo only feeds the CS2 and nothing else.
    But let me be clear about the Viessman decoders: They must be connected to the digital cirquit aka. track power to operate solenoid devices, which in the end means being connected to the CS2 trafo BigGrin . I presume you refer to the optional exernal power as the one intended for current to throw a device. I do not utilize this feature .

The ground of the signal bases must not be connected either to the ground of the trafo feeding the CS2.

True, and they are not. The signal bases are grounded to the extra/external trafo.

Best regards
    Anders Pihl Knudsen
    --
    Offline anderspihl  
    #16 Posted : 22 July 2015 15:49:36(UTC)
    anderspihl

Denmark   
    Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
    Hi Anders,

Just curious..... are these the only metal passenger coaches you have ???

Going off on a tangent I'm thinking they are acting like a aerial.

Hello Shamu and thanks for joining my topic.

I have other metal coaches on the layout.

BR

Anders.
    Best regards
    Anders Pihl Knudsen
    --
    Offline efel  
    #17 Posted : 22 July 2015 16:00:37(UTC)
    efel

France   

Separate transformer = external trafo = extra trafo. Signals only use ground / brown. They get light/yellow from the yellow plug on the decoder.

Sorry, I understand that the "ground" of the extra transfo (black or brown plug) is connected to the ground of the signals, but I have still not understood where is connected the "red" (or yellow") plug of the extra trafo.

BR

Fred
    H0
    Offline anderspihl  
    #18 Posted : 22 July 2015 18:05:03(UTC)
    anderspihl

Denmark   

Sorry, I understand that the "ground" of the extra transfo (black or brown plug) is connected to the ground of the signals, but I have still not understood where is connected the "red" (or yellow") plug of the extra trafo.

BR

Fred

Hi Fred,

I understand. I made this basic drawing showing the wiring. I hope it clarify

BR

Anders

wiring.jpg
    Best regards
    Anders Pihl Knudsen
    --
    thanks 1 user liked this useful post by anderspihl
    Offline efel  
    #19 Posted : 22 July 2015 18:45:03(UTC)
    efel

France   
    Hi Anders,

There is only 1 wire connected to the "blue" transfo (the ground). Then, it is useless.

I see 2 possibilities:

1- connect the signal ground to the track ground. But in that case, the lights will be fed by the digital voltage (rectified and filtered by the 5211), i.e. something like 22V. It's not good for the bulbs lifetime!

2_ connect the "E" plug of the 5211 to the blue transfo (accessory output) , following 5211 manual. The signal ground being connected to the blue transfo ground.

As I don't own that kind of signal, my suggestion is based on my reading of the manuals. May be you may wait for confirmation by a forumer who owns those signals.

Best Regards,

Fred

Edit: The marklin "blue" transfos don't meet anymore the security standards!
    Offline kiwiAlan  
    #20 Posted : 22 July 2015 23:27:11(UTC)
    kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

• However two of the cars (without slider) amplify the pulsing, adds resonance aka. the squealing sound, and pulses remain 10 per pulse sequence.
  • The phenomenon occurs both when driving and at stand still.
  • Cleaning wheels does not change anything, so I intend to replace all current conducting couplers with new ones.

• You do not say how much other stuff you have operating, or if you have the layout split up into sections and using boosters to power those sections, but these points suggest to me that you are running into the output power limitation of the cs2, and it is shutting down the output momentarily.

Try removing some other powered or lit items from the layout and see if these coaches still produce the same problem. One loco may be enough to remove, but I would remove other coaches that have lighting (assuming you have some).

Any other lights such as building lighting should also be disconnected from the cs2 if that is how you are supplying it.

Offline anderspihl  
    #21 Posted : 26 July 2015 19:55:58(UTC)
    anderspihl

Denmark   
    Hi Anders,

I see 2 possibilities:

1- connect the signal ground to the track ground. But in that case, the lights will be fed by the digital voltage (rectified and filtered by the 5211), i.e. something like 22V. It's not good for the bulbs lifetime!

2_ connect the "E" plug of the 5211 to the blue transfo (accessory output) , following 5211 manual. The signal ground being connected to the blue transfo ground.

Best Regards,

Fred

Thanks for your advices. I will keep them in mind and implement them later.

Take care

BR

Anders
    Best regards
    Anders Pihl Knudsen
    --
    Offline anderspihl  
    #22 Posted : 26 July 2015 20:08:18(UTC)
    anderspihl

Denmark   

You do not say how much other stuff you have operating [...],

Any other lights such as building lighting should also be disconnected from the cs2 if that is how you are supplying it.

Hi kiwiAlan,

The layout is organized as one big section, but with 4 feeder tracks. Total track length is around 30-40 meters.
    4-5 trains run similtaniously. Remaining locos stationed
    The layout is powered by a 60 VA 60052 Märklin trafo. The CS2 tracks current shows <50% load
    All other components than the three signals is powered by an extra exernal classic trafo.
    7 Viessmann 5211 decoders
    32 digital turnouts.
    No boosters.

I consider tips from Fred to see if it helps.

Thanks for taking your time with me.

BR

Anders
    Best regards
    Anders Pihl Knudsen
    --
    Offline efel  
    #23 Posted : 27 July 2015 07:40:19(UTC)
    efel

France   
    All other components than the three signals is powered by an extra exernal classic trafo.

Hi Anders,

I understand there are 3 trafos:
    -The 60052
    -The blue one shown on your picture above, whose the only connection is to the ground(s) of the signal(s). (red and yellow plug not connected)
    -That "extra external classic trafo"
    ?

Best regards

Fred
    Offline anderspihl  
    #24 Posted : 27 July 2015 09:56:48(UTC)
    anderspihl

Denmark   

Hi Anders,

I understand there are 3 trafos:
    -The 60052
    -The blue one shown on your picture above, whose the only connection is to the ground(s) of the signal(s). (red and yellow plug not connected)
    -That "extra external classic trafo"
    ?

Best regards

Fred

Hi Fred,

I apologize the confusion.

I have only two trafos - the 60052 and the blue one. Besides acting as the previously mentioned ground (Brown only) for the signals, the blue trafo also powers a turn table and 5 lamps in a roundhouse (yellow and Brown). For simplicity reasons I did not add them to the drawing.

wiring.jpg

Best regards
    Anders Pihl Knudsen
    --
    Offline efel  
    #25 Posted : 27 July 2015 10:37:21(UTC)
    efel

France   
    Hi Anders,

That is what I tried to know from the beginning: There is something connected to the "hot" (yellow or red) plug of the transfo. That explains that the signal lights work, but NOT properly!

As a rule, the ground of the blue trafo should be connected also to the ground of the track. But as I don't know exactly ALL your connexions to the blue trafo, I would recommand to connect the bases of the signals to the ground of the track, instead of the trafo ground.
    As I pointed before, the bulb voltage will be too large, and the lifetime of the bulbs reduced (should be the same if the blue trafo ground was connected to the track ground). A resistance should be added between each signal base ground and the track ground.
    You could use a value around 100/200 Ohms, 1W (I can't be more accurate for I don't know the power of the bulbs: I don't own that signals). The resistance will be hot.
    There are other possibilities, but I think that is the easiest way if you are not familiar with electronic.

Fred
    Offline anderspihl  
    #26 Posted : 27 July 2015 14:28:22(UTC)
    anderspihl

Denmark   
    Hi Anders,

That is what I tried to know from the beginning: There is something connected to the "hot" (yellow or red) plug of the transfo. That explains that the signal lights work, but NOT properly!

As a rule, the ground of the blue trafo should be connected also to the ground of the track. But as I don't know exactly ALL your connexions to the blue trafo, I would recommand to connect the bases of the signals to the ground of the track, instead of the trafo ground.
    As I pointed before, the bulb voltage will be too large, and the lifetime of the bulbs reduced (should be the same if the blue trafo ground was connected to the track ground). A resistance should be added between each signal base ground and the track ground.
    You could use a value around 100/200 Ohms, 1W (I can't be more accurate for I don't know the power of the bulbs: I don't own that signals). The resistance will be hot.
    There are other possibilities, but I think that is the easiest way if you are not familiar with electronic.

Fred

Thanks Fred

Appreciate your feedback. Smile

BR

Anders
    Best regards
    Anders Pihl Knudsen
    --