Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GalacticAndrew  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2015 16:22:34(UTC)
GalacticAndrew

United States   
I have some analog locomotives (3047, 3048), c-track, and the materials for digital conversion. What I would like to know is:

1. For era 3 German trains would Märklin 60945/65 or ESU loksound m4 decoder be better (or a different one)? Both for sounds and general performance.
2. For either of these, which controller do I need (Do I have to get a central station for $500?!)?
3. Is there a guide for making scenery/what tips do you have?

Thanks.
Offline GalacticAndrew  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2015 21:54:20(UTC)
GalacticAndrew

United States   
Please look
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2015 00:27:18(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: GalacticAndrew Go to Quoted Post
1. For era 3 German trains would Märklin 60945/65 or ESU loksound m4 decoder be better (or a different one)? Both for sounds and general performance.
The answers to this question will be primarily opinion-based.
I've reached a point where I think that ESU decoders are better with respect to sound and performance. I decided not to buy any more MSD for own conversions. Other people think that MSD are good value for the money.
I don't need mfx, so either ESU V4 or V4 M4 will do for me - whatever I can get cheaper.

Märklin have about five ref. numbers that allow you to order decoders with different pre-installed sounds.
With ESU decoders you will find 100+ different ref. numbers.

Current ESU decoders have more than 500 CVs and a LokProgrammer is very useful to set them up. It also allows you to download sound projects from the web and load them onto the decoder (or have them uploaded by the dealer when you buy decoders).
With MSD you can also download sound projects from the web and upload them with a CS2 (or have them uploaded by the dealer when you buy decoders). Märklin only offer few sound projects for different prototype classes.

It seems Märklin are selling out the sound decoders. Maybe there will be a new generation soon.

Originally Posted by: GalacticAndrew Go to Quoted Post
2. For either of these, which controller do I need (Do I have to get a central station for $500?!)?
Both decoders are compatible with a wide range of controllers.

Märklin CS2, ESU ECoS II, Märklin MS2, Viessmann Commander, Uhlenbrock Intellibox II, ...
You have to decide which controller best suits your needs - with respect to what you want to do, how you want to do it, and how much budget you have.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0