Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2015 16:07:19(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello Everyone:

I am considering building a very simple oval to add to my layout. This new oval would be used as an experiment to see how Marklin and non-Marklin locos, running in DC, can be run on the same tracks, albeit one set at a time.

Asking around, including reading on another Forum, I have come across a suggestion that K tracks can be used to run both types of trains, WITHOUT making any changes or cutting anything. The cutting would take place only when one needs/wants to add turnouts.

Does anyone have any direct experience in doing this?

In addition, can one use the flexible K tracks as part of this simple oval?

If it makes a difference, for now I would only run analogue locos on this new test project.

Thank you, and have a great Sunday.

Silvano
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2015 19:34:35(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I used C track for my two-rail/three-rail test loop - and I would do it again.
It is easy to cut the connection between the outer rails.

With K track you have to cut nothing. You can use normal track pieces, the flex track, and even slim turnouts without modification. Do not use the feeder track or the turnouts with the small radii.
The frogs of the turnouts do not provide power and small two-rail locos will stop there. I had no problems with longer locomotives.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2015 19:39:25(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thanks, Ho.

What feeder track should I use?

I was thinking of using one feeder track for the Marklin and a separate, but identical one for the DC. Each would have to be isolated from the rest of the layout depending on which set I want to run.

Am I right?

Thanks.

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2015 20:57:53(UTC)
H0

I'd make a feeder track with three wires (left rail, centre rail, right rail) and place a two-pole switch (on-on or on-off-on) between the feeder rail and the two power supplies.
Use one pole of the switch as selector for the left rail, use the other pole as selector for the right rail.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage