Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2015 12:29:01(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
hi everyone,

I',m just trying to fix 4 locos from a friend of mine, 2 x 37160 (both sound), 1 BR 78 (sound) and a BR 288 (sound).

He has send the locos to the appropriate Märklin dealer and came back the same way or with the same problem with other words they haven't been fixed at all.

1.) BR 78 has no sound (speaker faulty)

2.) 37160/1, motor faulty, sound decoder faulty (factory fault), new motor again available from Märklin in July and I will ask the question whether there is a warranty available including sound decoder

3.) 37160/2, motor worm gear with excess grease (common problem and fault), loco jerked and I investigated the rods, 1 was bent and why ? wrong screw (too long) was inserted into 2nd axle and therefore interfered with side rod ( as the wheel turned it got caught with the side rod.

4.) BR 288, double diesel loco, had one of these but without sound, his loco has sound but the motor sound is not working (F2) F3 is working (horn) F1 is very faint sound., there are adjustments one can make to turn off or on the sound (F1-F4) why they have such an option is beyond my understanding, when you buy a loco with sound why would you turn the sound function off (keyboard) this is already available by pressing the F1-F4 buttons. + you have a volume adjustment, the volume adjustment is right next to the permanent magnet with a cover put over the circuit board so it doesn't touch the perm. magnet, this loco was also send back to the dealer and was send back again, they couldn't find a fault and everything is working fine, he put the loco onto the track and again there was no motor sound.

the point I'm trying to make here, it is hard to he Märklin factory like this or it was sold as a second hand determine whether the loco left the Märklin factory like this or the loco was sold as a second hand loco with the above mentioned faults and sending them back was a waste of money because it is my opinion (37160/2) with its wrong sized screw, the owner, after I've asked him how is the loco running he said it's ok it runs fine, so an innocent buyer buys these locos in good faith and isn't aware of any faults associated with any of the locos.
the repair costs if I wouldn't have found the fault could have been devastating for my friend, possible side rod assembly, possible motor, possible sound decoder because if the loco would have seized any of the options could have happened.
this should also be a warning to others, to make sure when they buy locos cheaper from a dealer and it doesn't work to send it back and demand a refund.

make sure the wheels or slider hasn't got any track usage and again if this is the case , send the loco back and demand a refund.

the indication with all the locos (except 37160/1 = 9 pages of complaints (Stummi forum)) a short most probably has caused the failure of the sound decoders in the first place.

I've mentioned this before, guarantee here in Australia is worthless, unless you send the loco YOURSELF to Märklin to get anything done with it (and there is no guarantee it will work when it is returned) and the dealer, as it appears, he doesn't want to spend the postage to Germany.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2015 20:38:31(UTC)
Goofy

Hello John!
Märklin do have new BR 094.
I´m not sure,if it´s same motor like 37160.
Is it possible to change out the broken motor to an new one?
If sound decoder or and the speaker is default,you can choise to new with the ESU M4.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy