Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roman  
#1 Posted : 25 June 2015 22:24:19(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Hello all,
I have a few of Marklin's DDR locomotives and would like other types not made by M but for use on an analog layout. Does anyone have a few model numbers they can share? Brawa's current offerings have analog but in DC and the inexpensive Pikos have decoders and I don't know what limitations they have operating on analog only. Thank you.
Roman
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2015 08:25:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Roman,

Any digital loco for 3 rail will also work in analogue, providing no-one has swapped the decoder for a purely DCC one.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
H0
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2015 22:42:50(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I have some of those, but in post-DDR liveries. I don't normally run them in analogue mode.

But as Ray wrote, the factory-installed decoders of three-rail locos will work in analogue AC operation. And modern decoders are plugged in, so if they do not work as expected it is easy to replace them with decoders that work better.

IMHO digital locos usually operate better in analogue operation than purely analogue locos, but may require a higher voltage to get going.

If you have blue transformers, check the reversing voltage before you put digital locos on the track. Try to activate the reversing voltage for fractions of a second only and remember that digital locos won't jump and won't flash their lights when reversing.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#4 Posted : 27 June 2015 01:20:55(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I am a bit confused.

I thought Roman's questions had to deal with NON-MARKLIN locos. The answers he got, seems to me, deal with Marklin digital locos running on a Marklin analogue layout.

I am myself unclear as to whether a Piko loco with a DCC decoder would run on a 2-rail DC analogue system.

Thanks.

Offline witzlerh  
#5 Posted : 27 June 2015 02:24:10(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
The point is all recent Marklin loks are all digital but all can work on analog.

As for other makes, MOST DCC decoders are set up to allow running in analog but not all.
ESU has all their recent V4 decoders handling DC. I am not sure if V3 and V2 also could handle DC.
I have worked with other NA brands and some support DC but older ones do not.

A quick check on the web or a quick call or email can confirm this....I would say that 90% of the digital loks can handle DC.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 27 June 2015 07:39:04(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
I thought Roman's questions had to deal with NON-MARKLIN locos.
My answer was about non-Märklin locos running on three-rail track with AC (analogue). On this forum I assume three-rail track unless the question indicates two-rail.
The question mentions locos with decoders. Except for Trix and ESU you can still get analogue two-rail locos, so another indicator for three-rail.
The question contains "but in DC", for me another indicator that AC operation is intended.

Not many DDR locos from Märklin anyway. Therefore Roman asks about locos not made by Märklin.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Roman  
#7 Posted : 29 June 2015 07:18:49(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Thank you for the replies. Disregarding any DCC locomotives are there any model numbers of non M locomotives in DR liveries for analog use only? I guess I should have stated that better. I saw a post from RayF if I'm not mistaken who found a Piko locomotive but I've been unable to find a model number for it.
Roman
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 29 June 2015 07:41:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Roman Go to Quoted Post
Disregarding any DCC locomotives are there any model numbers of non M locomotives in DR liveries for analog use only?
This would be locomotives that are at least 10 or 15 years old (still assuming three-rail).
Three-rail AC locos need a reversing unit - and since several years ago a decoder is the better choice for manufacturers.

I had a quick look at the pages of Mr HFKern, but found no analogue DR locos:
http://www.bahn.hfkern.de/Roco/Dt_E118.html
Hold out for locos marked "AC", not "AC LMD" or "AC MD". Old locos with 43xxx numbers should be analogue, some early locos with 69xxx numbers are analogue.

With Fleischmann you cannot tell analogue or digital from the number - they used the same ref. numbers for years and for some models the same number could be analogue or digital.

BTW: some of those analogue locos have electrical reverse units that have a lithium battery soldered on. In some cases those batteries are empty by now and start making trouble. A bad design not made to last for decades.
I saw such batteries with HAG locos, but I think I also had one in a Fleischmann loco.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage