Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 17 June 2015 08:17:38(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Well my package of 3 Brawa loco's arrived this morning and I must say I'm very impressed. Without a doubt compared to the majority of loco's I have or have even seen they are incredible in the details. I can up to a point understand the exorbitant prices they sell for, not that I would pay retail for one in a blue raging fit. Half price is another matter.

First off is the 40353 BR74 compared to a Marklin 29161 Starter pack loco, both are 2009 models .

BR74 compare1.jpgBR74 compare2.jpgBR74 compare3.jpgBR74 compare4.jpg

You can see in the second photo (above) the Brawa is a tad shorter than the Marklin however this may be due to the different versions/manufactures of the T12/BR74.

BR74 compare5.jpgBR74 compare6.jpgBR74 compare8.jpgBR74 compare9.jpg

The Marklin is for the money a nice little lok but can not be compared to the Brawa for detail, of course its a lot more fragile Crying
The Marklin comes in at 175.4gm's, the Brawa at 263.7gm's. A substantial difference. ThumpUp

BR74 compare7.jpgBR74 compare10.jpg

Likewise the size of the lights and buffers is noticeable, perhaps a difference between acetylene and electric Confused as well they are lower than the Marklin buffers. Maybe a issue with wagons on minimum curves Unsure .

Next on the list is the 40153 BR57, like the BR74 also with sound and smoke out of the box. Both have Loksound V3.5 decoders.

BR57a.jpgBR57b.jpgBR57c.jpgBR57d.jpgBR57e.jpgBR57f.jpg

And for my final trick something I really didn't expect to get but it was part of a bulk deal, a 44153 ET89.....

ET89a.jpgET89b.jpgET89c.jpgET89d.jpgET89e.jpgET89f.jpgET89g.jpg

It has a Loksound V4. The detail on this little beauty is amazing, no way known the grandkids are getting anywhere near it. The wire holding the marker lights on the roof are thinner than my beard hair. I am still of 2 minds what to do about it as I have studiously avoided buying any electric loco as I have no desire to run catenary..... too much trouble in my books.

But this may convince me to run a single mountain line just for it LOL ... will have to think about it some more. If it does go Tom J and Dusan get first dib's.

Edited by user 15 October 2015 13:10:01(UTC)  | Reason: Typo & edit

Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 17 June 2015 08:34:12(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Shane,

Great purchases! ThumpUp

I like your comparison between the two Br74 locos. They represent slightly different prototypes, and the Marklin loco is a "Hobby" version, but it's still interesting to see the differences. Watch out for those lower buffers, they can catch on Marklin close couplers. I made a few tests on my Brawa Br53.8 and mine is fine with Marklin couplers pulling Marklin stock, but I've seen problems on other locos.

That railcar is to die for! I've been watching a couple on ebay for a while, and I might take the plunge soon.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline countrylink  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2015 08:38:03(UTC)
countrylink

Australia   
Shane I hope you told the FD about these purchases.Wink
I don't have any Brawa loks at the moment but I have a
few pieces of rolling stock and as you said the detail is amazing
Anyway enjoy your new purchases.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by countrylink
Offline Shamu  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2015 08:46:39(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Thanks Ray.

I could only find 1 ET89 for sale (€319 sticks in my mind) and none in past sales so really had nothing to go by for price.

Yes I figured that also the Marklin 74 being a post war variant most likely had been modified substantially since the pre war Brawa version.

One thing I forgot to bitch about is the pathetic excuses for driver/fireman in the cabs. Aside from being painted the same colour as the cabs the paint work is on par with the el-cheep'o Chinese bulk packs. For loco's that cost the better part of $1000 here new it is inexcusable to have such rubbish figures in the cabs.

My whinge for the day Laugh
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Shamu  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2015 08:53:13(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: countrylink Go to Quoted Post
Shane I hope you told the FD about these purchases.Wink
I don't have any Brawa loks at the moment but I have a
few pieces of rolling stock and as you said the detail is amazing
Anyway enjoy your new purchases.

Yes Peter, she knew....... had to bribe her with a plane ticket......... just hope the second package of 3 Marklin loco's gets here before she gets home........ god I need help, another grand gone Crying
Offline countrylink  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2015 11:00:51(UTC)
countrylink

Australia   
Shane bribing usually works for me as well.
I just tell the wife I have a rare disease that is
only managed not cured when parcels arrive in the post.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by countrylink
Offline foumaro  
#7 Posted : 17 June 2015 11:20:17(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
The railcar have amazing details.You must handle it with care.It is just perfect,i think it is the first time we see this item in the forum.ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 17 June 2015 20:22:04(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
You can see in the second photo (above) the Brawa is a tad shorter than the Marklin however this may be due to the different versions/manufactures of the T12/BR74.
The Brawa model is "BR 74", but not pr T 12. The Märklin model is a pr T 12, but it is not BR 74, it is BR 74.4-13.
pr T 11, later BR 74.0-3 ("BR 74" is correct, but deprecated): length 11190 mm, 520 PSi
pr T 12, later BR 74.4-13 (not "BR 74"): length 11820 mm, 870 PSi

Two different models of two different prototype classes.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Shamu  
#9 Posted : 15 October 2015 13:17:46(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
I had decided that I would be buying no more trains or anything to do with them until next year but after a rather stressful month and a kind offer from my favourite German seller I took the plunge and just bought a 44181 VT137 for €260 delivered.

44181 VT137.JPG

My photos to follow in a week or so.
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline petestra  
#10 Posted : 15 October 2015 15:44:15(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Wow, beautiful set, Shane, and the price wasn't bad either. Does this set have sounds? Cheers,Peter ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Shamu  
#11 Posted : 16 October 2015 00:24:56(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
No Peter no sound.

But it is ready for a speaker and its just a matter of swapping in a sound decoder and putting a speaker in, I'm sure I could find something to put its current decoder into.

Of course that will be down the track if I can find a ESU sound decoder for peanuts. I already have the green VT137 from Lilliput but it is analogue and a real nightmare to get at the motor so I would have to send it off to be converted. Also being pre Bachmann Liliput I have my doubts about getting parts for it in particular the motor. Think it may end up in the "possibly for sale" pile.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Shamu  
#12 Posted : 26 October 2015 11:47:04(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Well it arrived last monday (19th) in what would have to be the quickest package from the fatherland I've ever had.

By no stretch of the imagination can it be compared to the ET 89 for detail but then again its a semi streamlined railmotor so there isn't a lot of fiddly bits to hang off it. Although it comes with a bag of add on steps and some other bits and bobs.

44181a.jpg44181b.jpg44181c.jpg

Spring loaded buffers as to be expected from Brawa, well at least with all my items so far.

44181d.jpg44181e.jpg

The units are connected by a 10 pin DIL connector with latches on the sides.

44181f.jpg

Also note the odd setup with a single buffer on each end of the units.

44181g.jpg

The speaker and the decoder are both accessed via a hatch under the drive unit.

44181h.jpg

Comes with a V4 ESU decoder, not a sound decoder unfortunately but for the price I'm more than happy. I might keep a eye out for one later on down the track.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 26 October 2015 12:16:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Looks great Shane! ThumpUp

I've had my eye on one of these for some time. I might just take the plunge when I catch up on my budget! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF