Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahnhof fan  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2015 23:11:43(UTC)
Bahnhof fan

United States   
DSC05399.JPGDSC05388.JPG

Of all the places I've visited in Europe, I found Cologne to be the most interesting. Before World War II, it had the busiest train station in Europe. The style complimented that of the gothic cathedral nearby. I am trying to model a small section of prewar Cologne... The Cathedral, train station, Hohen zollern bridge and other buildings. I began with the Cologne Cathedral. I used 2 different Cardboard kits as templates, then revised my model with actual photos and plans made available by the ZENTRAL-DOMBAU-VEREIN ZU KÖLN, the organization in charge of the upkeep and rennovation of the cathedral.

Hopefully Marklin will produce some era 2 models of Wagon Lits coaches, like the ones used by express trains that travelled thru Cologne, like the Nord Express, Ostende Wien Express, etc...

Edited by user 18 June 2015 23:50:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 23 users liked this useful post by Bahnhof fan
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2015 13:17:01(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Absolutely stunning!

That must have taken a considerable time to work onScared

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline glight1  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2015 18:20:09(UTC)
glight1

United States   
Outstanding work!

Which cardboard models did you start with? Is there any polystyrene used anywhere on the model? Any bass wood or balsa?

Regards, Gary
Offline Bahnhof fan  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2015 21:59:50(UTC)
Bahnhof fan

United States   
Thank you! I've spent about 3 years on just the western end of the Cathedral. I used cardboard models from Taschen verlag and Schreiber-Bogen. I enlarged them to a scale of about 1:100.
I compared these lithographed prints with actual on-line photos and made adjustments where necessary. I also contacted ZDV and asked the staff about structural details. The cardboard models provided a general starying point. Some of the actual details varied greatly however! There are differences between the north and south towers especially on the 3rd floor! North tower had stained glass (duirng war this was blown out) South tower there are no windows on the 3rd floor! There are sound baffles which bounce the sound of the chiming bells back down to street level. Some of the window details are very different as well.

I used basswood for structural support and trim detail. I used Artboard reinforced with basswood for the walls and cardstock for the filigree window trim. Milliput putty was great for forming the statue figures and forming curves where needed. For the windows, I used a rigid polyester... I looked at many photos, including some I took on my own of the cathedtrals windows from the exterior... very little of the colorful stain glass color is apparent when view from the outside. There is a strong greyish cast with hints of color.

I have to finish the remainder of the Cathedral... the long naive, north and south portals and the rounded eastern end... along with all the buttresses, flying buttresses and figures. It will take me at least another 2 years or so. then I'll work on the adjacent structures... They will be easy compared to this!
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Bahnhof fan
Offline PJMärklin  
#5 Posted : 13 June 2015 21:07:26(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bahnhof fan Go to Quoted Post
Thank you! I've spent about 3 years on just the western end of the Cathedral. I used cardboard models from Taschen verlag and Schreiber-Bogen...................

Hello Bahnhof fan,

What wonderful work, you are very talented!

Regards,

PJ
Offline Mark5  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2015 19:30:27(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Congrats on a beautiful job, Bahnhof fan.
I am very impressed with your time commitment to the job.
And you have obviously spent a great deal of time with the details.
It would be wonderful to see some closeup shots of the facade with some H0 scale figures in front to get a sense of the scale.
Also to continue to inspire other modellers to work with cardboard and alternative materials.

Thanks so much for posting this and telling us about your process.
- Mark5
Originally Posted by: Bahnhof fan Go to Quoted Post
Thank you! I've spent about 3 years on just the western end of the Cathedral. I used cardboard models from Taschen verlag and Schreiber-Bogen. [.......] It will take me at least another 2 years or so. then I'll work on the adjacent structures... They will be easy compared to this!

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2015 13:42:25(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Great job!

I share your admiration for this magnificant piece of architecture!

Every time we are in Cologne i need to see the inside,to be overwelmed by the timeless magical atmosphere.

Have you checked on the guys building the LEGO version?

Here is my favorite clip on the Cologne Dom,it catches the peaceful atmosphere rather well:

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200