Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2015 11:30:59(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Dear all, out of interest, is it difficult to convert one of these Marklin locos to a 2 rail one. I no you can easily do that to other Marklin locos like the traxx budget ones. What about the more pricy recent new models like the SNCF 40100 or SNCB 1800?
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 11 June 2015 11:52:14(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The TRAXX Hobby locos can easily be converted because they have plastic trucks and plastic axles.

If the locos in question have metal axles, then new wheelsets will be needed.

RRP for such a wheelset (SNCF 40100) is € 15 - and you will need six. The Trix wheelsets are not available.

Long story short: better buy a Trix loco in the first place.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline danmarklinman  
#3 Posted : 11 June 2015 12:13:53(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

The TRAXX Hobby locos can easily be converted because they have plastic trucks and plastic axles.

If the locos in question have metal axles, then new wheelsets will be needed.

RRP for such a wheelset (SNCF 40100) is € 15 - and you will need six. The Trix wheelsets are not available.

Long story short: better buy a Trix loco in the first place.

Thanks, I'm better of staying with 3 rail I think. And converting 2 rail stuff to 3 rail?
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 11 June 2015 14:11:56(UTC)
H0

I checked the spare parts list for Trix 22576.

Go to https://www.maerklinshop.de/
Click "English". Click "Trix". Click "Spare parts". Click page 10.
I couldn't find a way to set a direct link ...

There's a drawing and a spare part list in the manual. Wheels are around 41 through 46 - they have grey traffic lights when you check the spare parts list in the shop.

Other liveries (locos with other ref. numbers) might have different wheels which might be available.

I don't have such a loco. Maybe you have to replace more than just the wheelsets.

The TRAXX locos are ideal as they have plastic axles and wheel sliders on both sides.
So carefully compare the explosion diagrams for Märklin and Trix before you order anything for your 40100.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2015 23:50:41(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
For the SNCF 40100, there are models from Trix and from LS Models that are designed for the 2 rail system. You can convert the Maerklin model to 2 rails by using parts from the Trix version of the locomotive. It may be more complex to convert as you will likely have to convert the wheel sets, ground contacts and perhaps even the PC board to get it to work.
As far as the SNCB 1800, if you are referring to the 36608, that is one of the hobby Traxx locomotives and can relatively easily be converted.

The other option would be to search on European forums for somebody who has a DC chassis and wants to swap it for your AC one.

Regards

Mike C
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 12 June 2015 03:21:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 12 June 2015 07:27:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
And converting 2 rail stuff to 3 rail?
Usually more easy.
Some two-rail locos run fine on Märklin track. Some need AC wheelsets or at least an adjustment of the wheel spacing.

I converted a Piko loco (and four AC wheelsets where cheaper than one MäTrix wheelset). I converted several Trix locos and the wheelsets are OK.

Finding a place for the slider is sometimes the biggest challenge.

Which locos are you after? My converted Piko loco has SNCF livery - the three-rail version was sold out long ago, but spare wheelsets where still available.
It could be more difficult with brands that never made three-rail models.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline danmarklinman  
#8 Posted : 12 June 2015 07:47:11(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
And converting 2 rail stuff to 3 rail?
Usually more easy.
Some two-rail locos run fine on Märklin track. Some need AC wheelsets or at least an adjustment of the wheel spacing.

I converted a Piko loco (and four AC wheelsets where cheaper than one MäTrix wheelset). I converted several Trix locos and the wheelsets are OK.

Finding a place for the slider is sometimes the biggest challenge.

Which locos are you after? My converted Piko loco has SNCF livery - the three-rail version was sold out long ago, but spare wheelsets where still available.
It could be more difficult with brands that never made three-rail models.

Thanks Tom for your help. I must admit, I was not thinking straight in turning to two rail. When I have a layout builtConfused A convertion would be better all round I think. I have in mind for conversion to 3 rail a Jouef HJ2275 SNCF CC14100 heavy freight locomotive. I am not sure if there would be enough room, or weather I am better of running it from the overhead. As I have fitted the old style Marklin wires. I am however a little worried about running analogue from the wires and digital from the track?
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 12 June 2015 08:06:50(UTC)
H0

I am however a little worried about running analogue from the wires and digital from the track?
Install a decoder and run centre rail and catenary from the same controller.

If you run the catenary with analogue DC, never make a short between catenary and centre rail while there is power on the catenary. With a bit of discipline (always turn off power before fiddling with trains) this should also be rather safe - unless the catenary falls down and touches the centre rail.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline danmarklinman  
#10 Posted : 12 June 2015 14:31:54(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
I am however a little worried about running analogue from the wires and digital from the track?
Install a decoder and run centre rail and catenary from the same controller.

If you run the catenary with analogue DC, never make a short between catenary and centre rail while there is power on the catenary. With a bit of discipline (always turn off power before fiddling with trains) this should also be rather safe - unless the catenary falls down and touches the centre rail.

Thanks for letting me know. Ufortunately i have recieved no comment from Hornby Jouef about the limit of radius on the item i was thinking about. I know quite a few companys dont cater for table top layouts know ,and therfore there locos are only able to run around above 40radius curves. I was interrested in a Roco SNCF CC7200 diesel. Roco themselves told me that was the limit 40 radius, if you cut parts off!! So i am very careful about what i order. always Marklin. As unlike others i have had no problems with there quality.
I have spent 12 yeas building my little layout and i cant bring myself to brake it up to run just one or two locos which cant take 36 radius curves, so i will plod onLOL
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan