Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Don Greenwood  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2015 17:05:37(UTC)
Don Greenwood

United States   
I bought a circa 1959 Marklin 3005 locomotive on eBay. The right front spoked wheel is in good condition and clean. However, the left front wheel is in poor shape. It was pitted and appeared dirty. I cleaned all the wheels and I gently sandied this particular wheel with a fine grit sandpaper, and it helped the appearance. However, in doing so, could I have unbalanced the wheel assembly? It now derails occasionally, although I clean all the wheels periodically. I run it on the old M-track, and my layout is still a work in progress. I have not secured the track to the substrate, which probably does not help the condition. Does anyone know the correct part assembly for the front wheel set so I can replace it? Thanks.
Offline scarfo  
#2 Posted : 07 June 2015 18:33:51(UTC)
scarfo

India   
Hi don - I take it you mean the leading pony truck wheel set? These are often pitted on this older loco but shouldn't really cause derailment especially if you have tidied it up a bit, so long as the flange is OK. I think first you should check the back to back - compare it with other axles on the loco and tender - its very easy to push the wheels too far onto the axle especially when working on a wheel. If that's OK, then look at the flat spring sandwiched between the pony truck and the front coupling bar - if this is bent up too far it will not press down sufficiently to push the truck wheels onto the track - bend down to suit. You can check this quite easily - place the loco on a flat piece of track and lift up the front truck with a screwdriver or similar - you should feel the spring resistance to the truck lifting - if not then the spring definitely needs adjustment. If this doesn't solve the problem, then maybe the wheel is too far gone and the pitting is making the flange ride up onto the rail.
Hope this helps
Regards - Charles
Offline Don Greenwood  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2015 19:30:29(UTC)
Don Greenwood

United States   
Thanks, scarfo. I'll check it out and see if your suggestions improve things. I am also going to check all my track for proper alignment and connection. I've since noticed that it seems to happen at the same spots on the layout.