Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rmsailor  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2015 16:29:10(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
According to an e-mail from Hornby, Thomas the tank Engine will be seventy this year and they bringing back the models at the end of the year, though I suspect that not many people here will be buying unless they have young children. However ;probably most will be familiar with the books.

I did have the pleasure of meeting Audrey in I think 1968 or 69 at a London exhibition at I think Westminster Central Hall. He had a small layout based on the books and he put on a real show with a running commentary of what was happening. I managed to have a very pleasant conversation with him.

Bob M.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2015 18:10:04(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have Hornby email newsletter today.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline rmsailor  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2015 21:05:34(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
When Audrey wrote the books he based them on good railway practice and was quite upset at some of the things that were done in the television series. Even the race with the steamroller was based on a real event that happened in Ireland.

Although not named, Audrey does make a cameo appearance in book number 22,as thin clergyman. He is accompanied by the fat clergyman who is obviously from the illustrations the late Rev. Teddy Boston. The latter was famous for having a narrow gauge railway round his vicarage. This happened after he discovered that he could buy a real locomotive from Wales for less than he could have a model live steamer built.

Bob M.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline Angus  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2015 09:31:18(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Thanks for the information Bob, my boys are Thomas crazy. Glad to hear they will be bringing them back, need to complete the collection. James & Toby being at the top of the list of "to get"
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Angus
Offline rmsailor  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2015 15:55:16(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
The books of course were known as The railway Series" and at least in Audrey's original 26 were not specific to Thomas who indeed did not make an appearance until book 2. The book I referred to above, The Small Railway Engines, was number 22 and was about a fifteen inch gauge line that was based on the Ravensglass and Eskdale Railway in the Northwest of England and not very far away from where the fictional island of Sodor was supposed to be.

Bob M.
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2015 22:44:12(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rmsailor Go to Quoted Post
According to an e-mail from Hornby, Thomas the tank Engine will be seventy this year and they bringing back the models at the end of the year, though I suspect that not many people here will be buying unless they have young children. However ;probably most will be familiar with the books.

I did have the pleasure of meeting Audrey in I think 1968 or 69 at a London exhibition at I think Westminster Central Hall. He had a small layout based on the books and he put on a real show with a running commentary of what was happening. I managed to have a very pleasant conversation with him.

Bob M.

Bob or Steven, is it possible to post that email here, or a link to it??

Thanks
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Angus  
#7 Posted : 14 May 2015 09:06:14(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
If you have a look at the Hornby website (www.hornby.com) you will see the Thomas stuff available for pre-order.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#8 Posted : 14 May 2015 12:17:48(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Bob or Steven, is it possible to post that email here, or a link to it?

Of course, here's an online version of the newsletter: http://hornby.hornbynews...-8EDC-302AP08S20/cr.aspx

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/