Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sedgar2  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2015 13:25:04(UTC)
sedgar2

United States   
Hello Again,

I read some posts from a few years back about the TEE early (3070) and accompanying car (4070) and the problem with windows falling into the car. Last evening I attempted my first repair. After closely examining the model I found the four plastic release tabs at the ends. It seems that the factory had juct gobbed adhesive around the window opening and the gotten the windows in w/o any excess glue on the window area. I first scraped some of the area around the windows and then the tabs on the windows themselves. I used a FALLER glue bottle with the needle applicator and waited a few hours (4-5). I initially did only four as the clamps were in the way of adjacent windows. After the waiting period, it took anly slight pressure on the windows (as though you were picking the car up for a closer look), to have them pop out again. My question is to those who have done this repair successfully. What was the procedure and what adhesive was used? Thanks.
Offline biedmatt  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2015 14:11:38(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I use this stuff when I can't keep windows in a passenger car. It is a roll with just adhesive, no film. It is easy to apply and will not flow into or over the window, nor will it fog like CA. Think of it as two sided tape but there is only the adhesive. It is also immediate with no need to wait for a glue to cure.

http://solutions.3m.com/...55+3294274806&rt=rud

Edited by user 11 May 2015 21:44:02(UTC)  | Reason: Added the important operative word "no" In the last sentence.

Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline sedgar2  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2015 14:53:30(UTC)
sedgar2

United States   
Thanks Matt,

I have a roll on the way from amazon. Can you elaborate on your procedure for the window resecure? Steve

PS If your experience is with these coaches, what if anything did you do about the clealy visible internal wiring? Kind of takes away from the ascetics, looking at lit cars and seeing the gray wire, like a big snake......
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2015 21:42:42(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I cut it into small squares or rectangles that fit between the end two windows and a third spot in the middle. Then just firmly press into place. It is neat stuff. Sort of like tape but no film, only the adhesive. It has no tensile strength, but is perfect for hold things together. The only agrivation is the adhesive will gum up your scissors and you need to wipe them clean with a solvent.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 12 May 2015 05:10:41(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was able to reattach the windows that fell out of my 3071 using generic model glue from the local hobby shop. I applied a few dabs to the edge of the window pane with a toothpick and then pressed it into place. After 24 hours to set, they have been trouble free since then. It's the other windows that keep popping out that are problematic.

Just make sure that you have the pane properly aligned so that a) it goes in the right way and b) you don't get any glue on the window frame or the rim of the actual window itself.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 19 May 2015 04:22:54(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Adhesive cut to size and placed between window frames

UserPostedImage

Backing paper removed exposing opposite side of adhesive

UserPostedImage

Window placed back in place and then squeeze to seat adhesive between window plastic and coach body

UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 19 May 2015 06:19:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Unlike the photos in Matt's post, the 3070/3071/3471 and 39700 have windows that are individually inserted and are not part of a panel where there is a larger surface to attach glue or tape to hold the windows in place.

This is what the actual windows look like: http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...siert-RAR-/361299777273?

See my post above for details on how to apply glue to put the windows back in place.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2015 12:10:55(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Unlike the photos in Matt's post, the 3070/3071/3471 and 39700 have windows that are individually inserted and are not part of a panel where there is a larger surface to attach glue or tape to hold the windows in place.

This is what the actual windows look like: http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...siert-RAR-/361299777273?

See my post above for details on how to apply glue to put the windows back in place.

Regards

Mike C

Well then, there is only one option. This is the glue to use on any clear parts. You will never fog or damage any clear plastic with this glue.

http://www.microscale.co...OD&Product_Code=MI-9

https://www.bare-metal.c...decals/microscale_3.html
Matt
Era 3
Offline sedgar2  
#9 Posted : 19 May 2015 13:30:51(UTC)
sedgar2

United States   
Oh that the windows were all linked.....I applied the tape across the openings individually and when the adhesive backing was pulled not all the adhesive came away from the openings. Another member mentioned 'sausage-like' fingers....he and I must be related. I'll look into the recommended glue...the mounting tabs on the clear inserts are none to generous. Thanks for the replies, Steve
Offline biedmatt  
#10 Posted : 19 May 2015 13:34:27(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: sedgar2 Go to Quoted Post
Oh that the windows were all linked.....I applied the tape across the openings individually and when the adhesive backing was pulled not all the adhesive came away from the openings. Another member mentioned 'sausage-like' fingers....he and I must be related. I'll look into the recommended glue...the mounting tabs on the clear inserts are none to generous. Thanks for the replies, Steve

I did not realize the windows were different with these coaches. No wonder they fall out and think of the time it takes to assemble when each window is an individual panel. They should shoot the engineer who designed them this way, but I bet he retired many years ago.
Matt
Era 3
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 19 May 2015 20:29:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
As I stated above, I was able to glue the loose window pieces back in place by applying a drop of Testors glue to the rim of the window pieces and then carefully popping them back into place. I dropped a few drops of glue onto a sheet of aluminum foil, gathered a small dab of glue on a toothpick and then used the toothpick to apply it to the window piece. I then secured the window to the shell using a little spring loaded clip (for about 12 hours) and then left the coach body for another 12 hours so that the glue would set. I have not have any problems with repaired windows popping out, but do still have to repair other windows whether the original glue gives out.

If you have the original windows and they are not lost, it is easy to fix. If you have lost the window parts and need to source them externally, you need to make sure that the windows are for your model. The 3070, 3471 and 39700 had windows with metal painted rims. The 3071 had windows with clear (non painted rims).

Regards

Mike C
Offline biedmatt  
#12 Posted : 19 May 2015 21:36:15(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
You have some big stones Mike if you are using plastic model cement on clear plastic. Microscale Kristal Klear was developed specifically for clear plastic. You could get the stuff all over the windows (or painted surfaces for that matter) and as long as you wipe it off with a damp rag or sponge before it dries, there will be no trace of the stuff. It is what I used to glue in the windows of the Dammtor station and the window frame to the clear plastic main center window.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3