Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mymarklin  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2015 03:00:22(UTC)
mymarklin

United States   

Fellow Marklinists,javascript:insertsmiley('BigGrin ','/forum/Images/Emoticons/msp_biggrin.gif')

Just wanted to take a moment and upload some pictures of a refurbished CCS-800 version 1 from early 1947.
As said, I came across this CCS-800 last November. I was in pretty good shape but there were some items I needed to replace.
I wanted to keep as much of the original as possible, replacing only what was needed. I purchased this
Marklin CCS800 from a gentleman in California. It looked like it was in pretty good shape.

Some of the wheels were suffering from zinc pest, which as many of you know was prevalent in that material from that time frame.

I knew that I would have to order some spare parts from Ritter in Germany to bring this gem back to its original glory. I did however want to retain as much of the original equipment as possible, replacing only what was absolutely necessary. Luckily the main frames, motor housing and main bodies were all zinc pest free. Attached are some photos of the before and after cleaning, repair and restoration. Parts replaced, the front and rear bogies - original wheel sets were reused and not replaced. From the 12 main drive wheels, 6 were replaced - 6 are original. One coupler was replaced. Everything else was completely disassembled, meticulously cleaned, oiled and reassembled. Complete with the early 1947 Schlitz Schrauben.

I contacted the seller and sent him some photos of the completed locomotive.

He actually gave me some back ground history on this locomotive which was kind of neat.

Below is his story.

Hello,

I'm speechless...absolutely superb restoration! You truly own one of the best examples of the Marklin ~Holy Grail~!
I have forwarded the pictures to my friend, Pierre who I sold it for, he will be god smacked for sure...

A bit of a history on the Crocodile:

Pierre was the son of a WW2 Swiss diplomat who was somewhat of a playboy and separated from his mother when Pierre was a small boy. Pierre's father would still visit with Pierre once every year or two and always have a present to smooth things over vis-a-vis his extended absences from Pierre's life.

Usually, the presents would be Marklin train cars and engines but he would never give Pierre the Crocodile which his father kept in a display case in his apartment in Switzerland along with many other quite rare HO trains from his life of collecting.
When Pierre's father passed away some years ago, Pierre was happy and sad all at the same time to discover the Crocodile still in his fathers Swiss estate.
He packed it up with everything else and shipped it back to California where it graced HIS display cabinet for 25 years or so, until he needed to raise funds for the school in Cambodia.
The upside to whole saga is that Pierre was able to hire two more teachers at his school with the funds from the sale!

So, there you have it, dusty memento's turned into education to make our world a better place...

Regards and Enjoy,
mymarklin attached the following image(s):
IMG_20150301_145755335.jpg
IMG_20150301_145828070.jpg
IMG_20150301_145911938.jpg
IMG_20150301_145925492.jpg
IMG_20150301_145938512.jpg
IMG_20150301_150029301.jpg
IMG_20150304_220938670.jpg
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by mymarklin
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2015 05:02:10(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Great loco and a wonderful story behind it BigGrin

Paul
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2015 09:28:53(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Great crocodile, I note the red light.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Janne75  
#4 Posted : 07 April 2015 10:40:21(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Lucky you! Wonderful Crocodile! It´s always a pleasure to see these old things in such a good condition ThumpUp .
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.