Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages«<789
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline klarinettmeister  
#401 Posted : 26 March 2022 09:55:33(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
I don't care anymore where they are made as long as they are not from Russia and the quality is there.
Of course I'd like my Märklin models made in Germany except for the electronics but as it'd take the prices to yet higher levels then I'm fine with my models being produced in China.
I think I have alot of Chinese produced Märklin models and only been having one problem with zinkpest sofar (Märklin 45702). My 39241 and 39243 are one of my favorite models.

And as many point out it's impossible nowadays to get something with electronics that aren't produced partly in Asia.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline Norbstarted1969  
#402 Posted : 28 March 2022 04:03:11(UTC)
Norbstarted1969

United States   
All of this discussion reminds me of an article I read in a woodworking magazine in the 1990s about power tools made in Taiwan. The article stated that in that part of the world, the prevailing attitude among manufacturers is that "quality is the responsibility of the purchaser". In other words, companies like Marklin need to carefully watch their Chinese contractors or own the factory, such as the case with Piko. Overall, the Chinese Marklin I have has generally been made to a high standard and I haven't been disappointed, so their current QA program appears to be adequate.

While it may be distasteful to buy goods from a country run by a hostile and despotic government, the bottom line is that products from China can be made to a high quality standard at a cost that will increase profits for the manufacturers or maybe even keep them afloat, so we might as well accept the situation and deal with it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Norbstarted1969
Offline shannon  
#403 Posted : 28 March 2022 12:48:39(UTC)
shannon

A country which can build real high speed train is not worth worring about quality of train in scale model by 1/87.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by shannon
Offline marklinist5999  
#404 Posted : 28 March 2022 14:45:32(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, I agree David, Norb, and Shannon!
Offline Mr. Ron  
#405 Posted : 28 March 2022 23:07:54(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
In every country, quality is a commodity. You have to pay for quality. Manufacturers will only provide the quality you pay for; no more, no less. This is true of all countries. They make their profit based on how much it costs to make an item. No one is in business to lose money.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline 60904  
#406 Posted : 30 March 2022 23:23:06(UTC)

Germany   
For many years Märklin has stopped writing Made in Germany on boxes.
Greetings
Martin
Offline H0  
#407 Posted : 31 March 2022 09:12:18(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: 60904 Go to Quoted Post
For many years Märklin has stopped writing Made in Germany on boxes.
Yeah. But "Made in EU" or "Made in China" can be found on Märklin StartUp and Märklin MyWorld boxes.
Only the boxes for the "professionals" never have a "Made in ..." imprint.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mbarreto  
#408 Posted : 25 February 2023 20:33:57(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
I don't know if this is the best thread for post this, anyway it was one I found where I think it applies...
Probably some of you, after read what I wrote below, will think I am heretic BigGrin

The price of the turnout motors is high. It could be interesting that some good Chinese manufacturer produce a turnout motor 4 times cheaper. Didn't need to have the built in switch.
It could have 2 effects:
1- We could buy them in case it proved to be good and save;
2- Märklin perhaps would lower the price of their turnout motors.

Regards,
Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline kiwiAlan  
#409 Posted : 25 February 2023 21:26:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
It could be interesting that some good Chinese manufacturer produce a turnout motor 4 times cheaper. Didn't need to have the built in switch.

There are two reasons for the switches in the turnout motors: -
1. They turn off the current when the motor reaches its movement limit to stop the coil overheating when someone holds their finger on the button or a train stops on a switch track.

2. When used with the Marklin push buttons thee position indicator on the buttons gets illuminated by the switch that is still closed. When the motor moves to the other extreme the other LED glows to indicate the change.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Toosmall  
#410 Posted : 25 February 2023 21:40:26(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
One can make anything cheap enough if you can amortize all the cost. Even a cheap computer would be half the cost today if you removed all the licence costs on components.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline mbarreto  
#411 Posted : 26 February 2023 09:14:13(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

There are two reasons for the switches in the turnout motors: -
1. They turn off the current when the motor reaches its movement limit to stop the coil overheating when someone holds their finger on the button or a train stops on a switch track.

2. When used with the Marklin push buttons thee position indicator on the buttons gets illuminated by the switch that is still closed. When the motor moves to the other extreme the other LED glows to indicate the change.

Those are good reasons for the switch to exist, although probably in most cases they are simply not needed.
Although until now I had no problem with those switches, I read several members of this forum complaining, so I assume the switch maybe a source of problems.
Considering both points above, it could be interesting for the existence of motors with and motors without the switch.
It is not a big issue anyway.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Goofy  
#412 Posted : 26 February 2023 19:21:26(UTC)
Goofy

I did see a video about Märklins new high speed train set with the rainbow color stripes.
It was a flop at € 700,00!
Are this train set made in EU or China?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline marklinist5999  
#413 Posted : 26 February 2023 22:41:13(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Why was it a flop Goofy? It's an ICE 3. The ICE 4 costs that much. Regardless of where asssembled.
The way I see things, China is good enough to purchase a 2.6 billion dollar plot of framland in North Dakota for a proposed grain mill in 2002. Therefore the USA, and other nations are good enough to sell to China, and us to buy goods which they produce as well.
Offline Goofy  
#414 Posted : 27 February 2023 06:23:42(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Why was it a flop Goofy? It's an ICE 3. The ICE 4 costs that much. Regardless of where asssembled.
The way I see things, China is good enough to purchase a 2.6 billion dollar plot of framland in North Dakota for a proposed grain mill in 2002. Therefore the USA, and other nations are good enough to sell to China, and us to buy goods which they produce as well.

The person did tested ICE and found out wagons too light in weight so they derailment of the tracks. Yes it was a flop at €700,00!! Are the train set made in China or EU?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#415 Posted : 27 February 2023 09:56:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Are the train set made in China or EU?
We have seen "Made in China" stickers on boxes of the ICE 4. I don't know where the ICE 3 is being made.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mvd71  
#416 Posted : 27 February 2023 17:51:24(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   

Why don’t you try to buy 2.6 billion plot of land in China and see how far you get??

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline marklinist5999  
#417 Posted : 27 February 2023 19:16:38(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, I know how far I'd get. To a Bejing prison, probably. They're sending surveilance ballons here now too. I don't know if the west does it there, but Google maps obtained images somehow.
Anywho, if the grandkiddies end up being forced to learn mandarin, and work in hard labor, I can't make it my problem. I'll be dead. My dad told us not to buy from China in 1986 because their Govt. kept most profits, meaning the people were still enslaved.
Offline dzug  
#418 Posted : 27 February 2023 19:33:26(UTC)
dzug

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

The person did tested ICE and found out wagons too light in weight so they derailment of the tracks. Yes it was a flop at €700,00!! Are the train set made in China or EU?

I have seen that video on Youtube and also another one about the revised Roco ICE model costing twice as much that cannot hold its place on a grade of any type.

Regardless of where it is made, I would say those failures are a failure of design and engineering done in Germany not manufacturing.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dzug
Offline marklinist5999  
#419 Posted : 27 February 2023 19:49:28(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
My #37780 ICE 3 says "made in Germany" on the box! It's from about 2004.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Toosmall  
#420 Posted : 27 February 2023 21:26:37(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Maybe because they were putting on the body shells in Germany. A bit like sewing on the clothes label tag in Australia.... 'Made in Australia'... really... about 0.1% of the value of the finish product!

Made in 'country X' is a 128, 128, 128 grey area these days!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline H0  
#421 Posted : 28 February 2023 08:51:33(UTC)
H0

We have 2023 and Märklin have only about 200 production workers left in Germany.
Rumours say that Märklin used "Made in Germany" labels at the beginning of the century even for products that did not really deserve that label.

Things can be different for 2022 ICE 3 models.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline dickinsonj  
#422 Posted : 28 February 2023 13:22:56(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I see the "Made In" labels for all of my Marklin products sourced from dealers here in the US. I buy mostly special and highly detailed locos and only my Insider models have been made in Germany for quite some time now.

Luckily I find the quality of the Chinese made models to be equivalent to the models made in Germany, so I don't obsess over where they were made anymore. If you can't handle models made outside of Europe you will pretty much have to abandon Marklin completely at this point.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline maico  
#423 Posted : 28 February 2023 15:45:49(UTC)
maico

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I see the "Made In" labels for all of my Marklin products sourced from dealers here in the US. I buy mostly special and highly detailed locos and only my Insider models have been made in Germany for quite some time now.

Luckily I find the quality of the Chinese made models to be equivalent to the models made in Germany, so I don't obsess over where they were made anymore. If you can't handle models made outside of Europe you will pretty much have to abandon Marklin completely at this point.

Do the C-track boxes say where it is made? I've got a lot of Trix C-track of various vintages.
Offline dickinsonj  
#424 Posted : 28 February 2023 15:50:57(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: maico Go to Quoted Post

Do the C-track boxes say where it is made? I've got a lot of Trix C-track of various vintages.

At least some of my C-track boxes are labeled "Made in Germany", although I don't know if that is always true.

The real difference is whether they are the new plastic formulation or the old.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline H0  
#425 Posted : 28 February 2023 16:06:44(UTC)
H0

At least some of my C-track boxes are labeled "Made in Germany", although I don't know if that is always true.
Older C track has the 24 prefix (e.g. 24188) and "Made in Germany" engraved in the roadbed. And older tracks are likely to become brittle.

With newer track, the 24 prefix was dropped. "ASA" denotes track made from the new plastic formula.

UserPostedImage
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline JohnjeanB  
#426 Posted : 28 February 2023 16:23:10(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Is Märklin made in China?
Where is Märklin designed?

These questions are complex to answer but the little I know is:
- except for cooperation with other manufacturers (like Brawa, Viessmann, Fleischmann, etc) the design is made in Germany, mostly in Göppingen (Hauptfabrik)
- since the Märklin bankruptcy in Feb 2009 (Märklin Pleite), the purchasing firm Simba Dixie has tried to subcontract some manufacturing in China to lower the production costs.
- since some difficulties with Chinese subcontractors (bankruptcy, quality), since 2015, some production has been moved back to Europe (Györ and Göppingen, mostly)
- Märklin is very discreete about its subcontractors but most assembly of locos is made in Göppingen, while cars, track, etc are made in Hungary.

Since there are different rules in the EU and in the USA, locos sold in Europe are not branded made in (EU, Germany, Hungary), while when sold in the Americas, there is a sticker "Made in China". I have strong doubts that the ENTIRE production of a Märklin model labelled "Made in China" is made there but only parts.

This is all a matter of personal opinion. I believe Märklin does not want to be dragged into a legal claim hence the label made in China.

Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#427 Posted : 28 February 2023 16:45:47(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Oh, designing of anything can be done abroad. Probably mostlty still Germany, because they still take great pride in makinga "masterpiece" so to speak. It could also be Hungary, etc.
I see 3-D printing firms advertise, and all sorts of design firms advertise from Germany.
As for China, I can tell you that my brother in law is a Jeep "Stelantis" V.P. of concept design, and they do have a studio in China. I don't kmow if they do any domestic models for here, but the mid sized Cherokee is called the Grand Commander there.
Offline H0  
#428 Posted : 28 February 2023 16:53:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
- except for cooperation with other manufacturers (like Brawa, Viessmann, Fleischmann, etc) the design is made in Germany, mostly in Göppingen (Hauptfabrik)
I remember episodes of Märklin TV where persons in Hungary explained the CAD drawings, so I assume some models are primarily designed there.
It would not surprise me if some models are actually designed in the far east.
Not all co-operations are declared by Märklin: We know that the UP 844 was made from moulds leased from BLI.

Since there are different rules in the EU and in the USA, locos sold in Europe are not branded made in (EU, Germany, Hungary), while when sold in the Americas, there is a sticker "Made in China". I have strong doubts that the ENTIRE production of a Märklin model labelled "Made in China" is made there but only parts.
US require "Made in China" stickers if the last important production step was done there.
One example given in the US documentation is furniture assembled in Mexico from parts made in China: It deserves a "Made in China" label as the pure assembly is not that important.

Chinese companies can to zinc diecasting - they do it for Roco, for Piko, for Brawa, and for Märklin.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline maico  
#429 Posted : 28 February 2023 17:49:14(UTC)
maico

United Kingdom   

I think all the Trix was probably ASA plastic and OK due to it's later date of introduction.

The sample below is date stamped 2006 and the shade of brown is lighter than the later stuff. The circuit board is gold Love rather than the later green.
IMG_3559.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by maico
Offline kiwiAlan  
#430 Posted : 28 February 2023 19:40:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I remember episodes of Märklin TV where persons in Hungary explained the CAD drawings, so I assume some models are primarily designed there.

IIRC Viessmann had designers and engineering done in Romania for the Car Motion items introduced last year. They made quite a point of this in their NI video.

Not all co-operations are declared by Märklin: We know that the UP 844 was made from moulds leased from BLI.

The impression I get is that Marklin are doing similar to Hornby, doing all the design in house, and then when not producing in house they send their tooling to the subcontractor. What is evident from the TV series "Hornby, A Model World" is that Hornby do the design in house, but all the tooling is done by their subcontractors in China, but I get the impression that Marklin do the tooling themselves.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline maico  
#431 Posted : 28 February 2023 21:17:20(UTC)
maico

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

IIRC Viessmann had designers and engineering done in Romania for the Car Motion items introduced last year. They made quite a point of this in their NI video.

The impression I get is that Marklin are doing similar to Hornby, doing all the design in house, and then when not producing in house they send their tooling to the subcontractor. What is evident from the TV series "Hornby, A Model World" is that Hornby do the design in house, but all the tooling is done by their subcontractors in China, but I get the impression that Marklin do the tooling themselves.

Here's some tool-making at Roco, a painstaking process. Also note the in-house motor production line.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by maico
Offline maico  
#432 Posted : 28 February 2023 21:55:57(UTC)
maico

United Kingdom   
We have 2023 and Märklin have only about 200 production workers left in Germany.
Rumours say that Märklin used "Made in Germany" labels at the beginning of the century even for products that did not really deserve that label.

Things can be different for 2022 ICE 3 models.

Have you seen this Marklin factory tour video made 3 years ago? Some locos and carriages can be seen being made. Also investments in modern CNC machinery can be seen in other videos on the tube.

Offline H0  
#433 Posted : 28 February 2023 22:07:07(UTC)
H0

Have you seen this Marklin factory tour video made 3 years ago?
I had a guided tour through the factory a few years ago: Some locos with metal bodies were assembled, but no plastic stuff like ICE 3.
I don't see ICE 3 on that video either.

It's a fact that Märklin drastically reduced their workforce in Germany in the last 25 years or so.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline rmsailor  
#434 Posted : 01 March 2023 09:23:11(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   

The way "made in China"tends to be regarded reminds me of the way "made in Japan" was regarded in the 1950's, something cheap and nasty. No one would say that about Japan now. When it came to model railways, the period saw the emergence of the limited production fine scale brass models from the likes of Tenshodo at a time when most US home production was limited to generic style models produced in a variety of liverieries.

Bob M.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline marklinist5999  
#435 Posted : 01 March 2023 13:47:25(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
You can't say it about China now either. They've come a long way in quality. They build to specs. which companies pay for. Cheap, or quality.
Japan began outsourcing labor in the 1980's to Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore. Now those nations have done so to China as well.
Offline maico  
#436 Posted : 01 March 2023 19:47:39(UTC)
maico

United Kingdom   

This video shows the track-making machines at work in Hungary. Also shows hand painting which makes sense to do in a lower labour cost location.