Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2014 20:35:49(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Greetings All,

Just purchased a factory new Maxi Rossle 3 axle steamer,my first Maxi loco ever.
Price of Euro 179.- looked a real bargain to me.
I has horrible LGB claw couplings USA style,the original Marklin couplings are still in the box.

Would there be a way to replace the claw couplings with more realistic hook couplings as on sale for Marklin 1 loco's or is Maxi not compatible in that respect?
I have not been able to find information on internet about that and indeed the manual packed with the loco holds no information about couplings.

A further question is about the PCB enclosed in the box.
I understand that the loco runs on DC,and runs on AC when the PCB is fitted underneath.
Is that correct please?
Again,the manual is unclear,at least to me.

Thank you in advance for your input,much obliged.

Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2014 21:13:29(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Paul,

The Märklin couplers 56101 cannot be mounted to MAXI-Models. But you can use original couplers from a small - series manufacturer. HEGOB also offers spring - buffers which are needed to run buffer to buffer for Maxi-Models: http://www.hegob.de/aktmaxi.de.htm .

The locomotive is delivered with two PCBs: One of the PCBs (usually installed ex-works) has a dip-switch. This one is used for AC or digital operation. For AC-operation all dip - switches must be "OFF". The other PCB (with two diodes) is for DC-operation.

When changing the PCBs you should mark which side is the front of the covering plate. It has a front and a rear which is not easy to identify. Be also aware not turn around the locomotive when the cover-plate is not on its place: The axles will fall out of the chassis...

Regards

Markus

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2014 10:25:13(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul,

The Märklin couplers 56101 cannot be mounted to MAXI-Models. But you can use original couplers from a small - series manufacturer. HEGOB also offers spring - buffers which are needed to run buffer to buffer for Maxi-Models: http://www.hegob.de/aktmaxi.de.htm .

The locomotive is delivered with two PCBs: One of the PCBs (usually installed ex-works) has a dip-switch. This one is used for AC or digital operation. For AC-operation all dip - switches must be "OFF". The other PCB (with two diodes) is for DC-operation.

When changing the PCBs you should mark which side is the front of the covering plate. It has a front and a rear which is not easy to identify. Be also aware not turn around the locomotive when the cover-plate is not on its place: The axles will fall out of the chassis...

Regards

Markus

Many thanks,Markus,i will try it out!
I am totally unfamiliar with Maxi,so i need to learn a lot i guess.
Running is not so important to me,i will put these Maxi items in a displaycase anyway,i just like the sight of them,next target is the Maxi Glasskasten in black.

Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline gcanton  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2014 16:05:38(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
With Maxi if you can see the coding switches with either of the Marklin decoders, simple as delivered or the much nicer 60955 high efficiency replacement you have it in correctly.

I believe there is no damage to the original decoder if it is upside down but a loco with LED's would be very possibly damage the lamps.

Graham