Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2014 15:28:48(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good Morning,

Seems that I have read and reread so many articles about wiring a large layout that I'm suffering from over analysis paralysis!

I'm in the process of wiring my large Marklin layout with the ESU ECoS. My model train room is 45' X 12' (13.7 X 3.65 metres) For instance my double track mainline is approximately 126' long (36.5 metres) My layout will have 2 ECoSBoost sections and also be detected by the ECoSDetector. The track has been installed and all blocks have been isolated and feeder wires installed.

Now that I am ready to wire everything together I have a question?

Should I do as I have previously done and have one location for all the devices to wire into an electrical cabinet? Or should I make separate (satellite) locations to keep the wires shorter to prevent possible interference?

Regards,

Michel
Offline MikeR  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2014 17:34:32(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Michel

With such a large layout I would definitely use the satellite technique for wiring. I would however try and put all the ECoSDetectors close to the edge of the layout for easy access. The same with the decoders to operate your points. It is easiest to run wires from each booster to the section which that booster will power and then to take power from these "busses".

In my opinion running all the wires to a central point will give you a huge tangle of wires which will be very difficult to debug if you have a short or other problem. The satellite system will be easier to debug.

Good luck with the wiring- it is a big job to connect everything together!
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MikeR
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2014 00:10:30(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: MikeR Go to Quoted Post
Hi Michel

With such a large layout I would definitely use the satellite technique for wiring. I would however try and put all the ECoSDetectors close to the edge of the layout for easy access. The same with the decoders to operate your points. It is easiest to run wires from each booster to the section which that booster will power and then to take power from these "busses".

In my opinion running all the wires to a central point will give you a huge tangle of wires which will be very difficult to debug if you have a short or other problem. The satellite system will be easier to debug.

Good luck with the wiring- it is a big job to connect everything together!

Hello Mike,

I concur! After reading your reply this morning and totally agreeing with you, I started to wire my layout with the, "The satellite system!"

I have also started to make the new named, "ECoSDetectors and SwitchPilot pods" facing the front of my layout. They are 5 inches inside the bench work from the facia facing forward so that the "ECoSDetectors and SwitchPilot pods"will alway be facing the front of the layout, easy to see and also trouble shoot! No more installing devices under the layout and crawling for me again!

Thank you very much!

Michel
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr