Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Frankenbahner  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2014 14:53:50(UTC)
Frankenbahner

Some repaints of Wiking models of the MAN NL 202. Wiking was the only firm to release a large-series model of the NL 202 bus - unfortunetaly, they didn't offer many different versions - such as those of Berlin, Aachen, Hanover, the Austrian Post and a few phantasy liveries.

So have a look at these repaints - I gave them to a fellow club member for airbrushing, finally I re-decorated them with self-created decals.

For my repaints, I decided to use the "Expo 2000" livery which is available on Ebay for low prices:

http://www.modellbus-archiv.de/model.php/363

Omnibusverkehr Franken GmbH, operating under the "DB Frankenbus" brand name. This bus operates as a line 253 service to Bubenreuth (a village near the City of Erangen):

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Stadtwerke Dachau - City of Dachau, Upper Bavaria - I used "GIMP" to extract the design with those arrows and points from photos taken of the 1:1 scale busses:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Florian

Edited by user 06 September 2015 23:33:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

H0 3-rail AC with DCC, MM and mfx, 2-rail DC streetcars, and N gauge
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2014 19:18:33(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Very professional looking repaints, Florian!

ThumpUp
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Frankenbahner  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2014 13:19:00(UTC)
Frankenbahner

Some new repaints have been completed last week.

Another version of the MAN NL 202 bus, this one in VAG (Nuremberg) livery, operating as a line 30 - Thon to Erlangen service:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Three Mercedes O407 busses and one Mercedes O305G articulated bus, in livery of Stadtwerke Fürth (City of Fürth, Bavaria):

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Florian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline Brakeman  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2014 16:25:19(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Originally Posted by: Frankenbahner Go to Quoted Post
Some new repaints have been completed last week.

Another version of the MAN NL 202 bus, this one in VAG (Nuremberg) livery, operating as a line 30 - Thon to Erlangen service...

Excellent work! How did you do the white decals?
Juha
Offline Frankenbahner  
#5 Posted : 01 July 2014 20:31:13(UTC)
Frankenbahner

Most of the decals of the VAG bus, such as the VAG emblems, came from a fellow modeler who also did the airbrushing of this model. He got these dacals printed several years ago, they came on a transparent decal film. These decals also included the destination diyplays for the Stadtwerke Fürth busses.

The decals of the DB Frankenbus and Stadtwerke Dachau busses, however, were designed by myself. I worked with GIMP - "GNU Image Manipulation Program". A software with a lot of features one can download as freeware. It allows you to edit the angles / the perspective of a picture.

I "extracted" those picture areas showing the vehicle body (below the windows) and roof edges (above the windows) of these busses (decorated with arrows and points) carefully correcting them to a rectangular shape and right size. This became some quite extensive work, meaning to spend a few long evenings in front of the computer. I also removed all letterings from these picture areas. Never change letters with a image manipulation software - quality and legibility will suffer! All graphics have then been copied and included into a Microsoft word file, where they finally got new lettering. The destination diyplays of the DB Frankenbus and Stadtwerke Dachau busses were created with Microsoft Word as well.

The license plates of all busses have been created with this "license plate generator": http://www.auto-fachforu...ennzeichen-generator.php

The graphics have been copied and pasted into the Word file, where they have been resized for H0 scale.

Finally, I send the Word files to another fellow modeler from Munich, who did the printing. He was not able to print white, so if you wanted a white lettering like on the DB Frankenbus bus you had to underlay white letters with a red background. This also meant that white decal paper was the only choice.

All busses finally were coated with a thin layer of Tamyia semi-gloss clear varnish to protect the decals.

Regards,
Florian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline Frankenbahner  
#6 Posted : 06 September 2015 23:26:50(UTC)
Frankenbahner

After a long pause, I'm going to continue this thread now.

I'm starting with a "What if?" model: what, if the United States would have delivered busses as part of the Marshall plan aid to Europe in the 1940s?

The city of Vienna recieved streetcars from the discountinued New York tram system, which then continued service on the Vienna system well into the 1960s. Even before the Marshall plan started, the SNCF had recieved delivery of 1323 class 141R Mikado steamers. The order had been shared among different locomotive builders in the US and Canada, so such a large number of units could be produced within only two years. These steamers were technically far more advanced than those the SNCF bought from French locomotive builders in the late 1940s.

Regarding busses, manufacturers in continental Europe had fallen into some technological gap as a result of WW II. American designs of the 1940s included details such as underfloor motors with rear-wheel drive, while Europan designs still featured busses with front motors on a truck chassis.

Transit companies all over Europe were in need of new busses, as many of their old ones had been destroyed or heavily damaged by the war. Those who had survived the war were often in a bad technical state, due to reduced and bad maintenance during wartime. So, what if GM would have taken the chance to sell busses to European transit companies as part of the Marshall plan?

If they would have done, the busses would have most likely been "GMC old look busses", GM's standard transit bus model of that era.

Surely, the Nürnberg-Fürther Straßenbahn (the tram and bus company for Nuremberg and Fürth until the late 1950s) would have recieved some of these "Marshall plan busses".

This is an idea how such a bus could have looked. This one operates on line 80, an interurban bus service to Erlangen (nowadays line 30).

The model is based on a "Classic Metal Works" bus, originally in a neutral orange / beige livery, airbrushed by a fellow club member.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Florian

Edited by user 07 September 2015 10:33:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Frankenbahner  
#7 Posted : 06 September 2015 23:44:06(UTC)
Frankenbahner

Still in 2014, I extended my Stadtwerke Dachau bus fleet.

A MAN NL 263, based on a Rietze model, originally in a Northern German livery:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Most of the old Stadtwerke Dachau busses have been quitting running since 2013, when this transit company started to acquire new NL 280 busses from MAN. They also replaced their articulated busses. Car DAH-V 260 has been withdrawn from service, shortly after I had completed this model - originally a Rietze model of a Chemnitz city bus. In fact, 30 decals had to be fitted on the bus!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Florian
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline petestra  
#8 Posted : 07 September 2015 03:12:41(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Florian. Very nice work there. When I was a little kid in New York City (born in '53) I remember seeing those buses as in post #6 on the streets

of my city well into the 60s. Cheers,Peter.ThumpUp Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Frankenbahner  
#9 Posted : 07 September 2015 17:51:13(UTC)
Frankenbahner

Wiking is a firm which has missed many chances. They had nice bus models - but often in fantasy liveries, or with very poor print. Collectors like this brand, but for real modellers, Wiking items are an ideal basis for repaints and conversions. Detailing itself of the Wiking models wasn't that poor, they just need some repaint to look good.

So I now present you another Wiking repaint: a Mercedes O405, operated by the VAG - the "Verkehrs-Aktiengesellschaft Nürnberg", which also operates the city bus lines at Erlangen. City transit in Erlangen started in the 1920s with line 80, which connected the city to Nuremberg. This line was run by the "Nürnberg-Fürther Straßenbahn", which became the VAG in 1959. So, all over new lines which were added to the network eventually, were also operated by this company. Nowadays, the City of Erlangen owns the busses, while the operation itself is still done by the VAG.

This series of busses were in service from 1986 to 2002.

This bus runs as a line 285 service to Buckenhof.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Florian