Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#151 Posted : 28 December 2013 21:27:13(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The BR 81 has a worm drive. I don't think you will hear noise when the worm drive runs dry - but it will get damaged when it runs dry.
I didn't find a maintenance interval in the manual. With 20 (or 24) hours you should be on the safe side. I think you should grease the worm drive as specified.

Thanks Tom,

So I will give it a very short maintenance break every day around 6 PM. I will use the same grease for lubrication as I use with my RC cars gears.

I just calculated that it will run without breaks around 835,7 meters per hour, so 20057 meters in 24 hour. If I will do the maintenance lubrication work fast in around 4 minutes it will still go 20000 meters = 20 km in 24 hours. So total in 7 days is then 140 km! If this little steamer will survive this "trip" BigGrin which is as long as the distance for me to go to my workplace in Helsinki and back home, it will get a special place in my collection no matter in which condition it is then... 7 days is 168 hours, so then it is used total around 170 hours as it was running before for around two hours.

Has Märklin ever done public long endurance tests to their locomotives? I have only seen some pulling tests done with German Crocodiles.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Janne75  
#152 Posted : 28 December 2013 21:42:11(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post
Hi Janne,

I have also a Br81 with a can motor.
A second hand certainly from the 29160 starter set.

She runs perfectly an smoothly an you can see her running here slowly in analog mode:
Marklin-Br81-and-t-boxes

So no problem for me with this can motor but needs grease on the worm and some drops of oil though ...

Best regards
Joël

Thanks Joel,

I will lubricate her every 24 hours. Worm drive and (maybe) some drop oil to axles. Yours run as smooth as mine too. No problems with her running. I think my outer mainline will be very clean after this endurance test as it will "see" much more running than before. And no rolling stock with possibly dirty wheels or oil etc. Soon 5 hours continuosly running and so far everything ok ThumpUp .

PS. I'm glad that I have separate transformers for layout lights (houses and lamps) and also a separate one for signals so I could shut them off. But my CS2 will be on as long as this test goes Mellow . It is also a endurance test for it. My turnout lanterns have lights which are continuously on when track power is on. But they are leds.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline H0  
#153 Posted : 28 December 2013 21:43:44(UTC)
H0

A Z gauge loco once ran 1219 hours (720 km) without maintenance, hauling a train. That was 1978, so it was a three-pole motor "Made in Germany".
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kbvrod  
#154 Posted : 28 December 2013 21:45:09(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   

I will lubricate her every 24 hours. Worm drive and (maybe) some drop oil to axles. Yours run as smooth as mine too. No problems with her running. I think my outer mainline will be very clean after this endurance test as it will "see" much more running than before. And no rolling stock with possibly dirty wheels or oil etc. Soon 5 hours continuosly running and so far everything ok ThumpUp .

PS. I'm glad that I have separate transformers for layout lights (houses and lamps) and also a separate one for signals so I could shut them off. But my CS2 will be on as long as this test goes Mellow . It is also a endurance test for it. My turnout lanterns have lights which are continuously on when track power is on. But they are leds.

Cheers,
Janne

Blink

Offline H0  
#155 Posted : 28 December 2013 21:48:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post
So no problem for me with this can motor but needs grease on the worm and some drops of oil though ...
It's my experience that these can motors run fine with Märklin fx decoders or ESU decoders (but not really good with Märklin mfx decoders).

No problem with those hobby locos that don't have sound. But I'm not satisfied with the hobby locos that have mfx sound. Same for premium models with mfx and sound and new standard motor.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#156 Posted : 28 December 2013 21:50:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Has Märklin ever done public long endurance tests to their locomotives?

I don't know about Marklin, but watching 'James May's Toy Stories' where they laid track for 10 miles or so and ran trains from one end to the other gives you some idea how well Hornby trains last. I always thought they should have used Marklin track and locos - might have been more reliable.

I think there was a display a while back where Marklin set up a demo with a number of their H0 locos pulling a real passenger coach, but I don't know about any endurance runs of H0 locos (Tom has reminded us about the Z Gauge loco running).

Edited by user 29 December 2013 01:58:03(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline jeehring  
#157 Posted : 28 December 2013 21:54:57(UTC)
jeehring

A Z gauge loco once ran 1219 hours (720 km) without maintenance, hauling a train. That was 1972, so it was a three-pole motor "Made in Germany".

Are you sure?.....I always thought that the record in Z gauge of 12xx hours was about the "new" five poles motor for miniclub

Offline H0  
#158 Posted : 28 December 2013 22:05:59(UTC)
H0

It seems the record was in 1978 (not 1972). It seems the five-pole motors came 1999. So I'm pretty sure it was a three-pole motor that set the record.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#159 Posted : 28 December 2013 22:19:53(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

Very impressive record anyway. 720 km in 1219 hours is 590,6 meters every hour, around 14,18 km every 24 hours. So it took around 50,8 days and without maintenance and with Z gauge 1:220! Scared So it didn't run as fast as my BR 81 is running now, but in it's scale 1:220 vs. our H0 1:87 scale much faster.

Regards,
Janne
Offline lgbjohann  
#160 Posted : 28 December 2013 23:38:46(UTC)
lgbjohann

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I don't know about Marklin, but watching 'James May's Toy Stories' where they laid track for 10 miles or so and ran trains from one end to the other gives you some idea how well Hornby trains last.

BigdaddyNZ,

Oh man, saw this show as a re-run on BBC America just the other night and it was hilarious. It seems that the motors were up to the task but the use of over-voltage on some models caused them to burn out prematurely.

The "sauerkraut-liquor" powered engine used by the German team was particularly interesting. Blink

To your point, I too was amazed at how well the Hornby "Flying Scottsman" held up to the task and finished the race. Mr. May's does acknowledge that it had been a cherished model from his youth (1972) and he re-built the motor prior to the race. Still, not bad for a model of this vintage! The ability to repair the motor or at least find a suitable replacement is, of course, a concern.

However, as Mr. May's summarized, the passion for the hobby inspired the imagination and creativity to find the solution to repair his old model. Applying this to a race involving fellow hobbyists from Germany as well as the UK, was just icing on the cake.
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by lgbjohann
Offline H0  
#161 Posted : 29 December 2013 00:05:06(UTC)
H0

The Loxx layout at Berlin, Germany, once made a longevity test with five H0 models from the V 160 family. The results of the test have vanished from their site, so I have to rely on information available on the net.
The rules were simple: they took two locos from each brand, one made the test and the other was donor for spare parts.

Piko was out on 17.11.05 after 537 km and 337 hours
Roco was out on 7.4.06 after 1597 km and 1058 hours
Brawa was out on 24.4.06 after 2254 km and 1474 hours
Source: http://www.drehscheibe-f...d.php?10,2952070,2952925

So Piko made 337 hours with two motors - so about 150 hours per motor like the Hornby manual states for Hornby locos.

The Märklin loco ran 1,656 hours.
http://www.fleischmann-h...s/nieuws-2006/200617.htm

It seems the Fleischmann loco was stopped after 1,936 hours.
Source: http://www.forum.hag-inf...p;postID=78007#post78007

I don't know whether the Märklin loco had a three-pole AC/DC motor or a five-pole DC motor.
Results may be quite different with e.g. a new Märklin V 100 (37000) or a BR 94.5. But some Fleischmann locos also have "maintenance free" can motors.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline jeehring  
#162 Posted : 29 December 2013 01:24:50(UTC)
jeehring

The Märklin loco ran 1,656 hours.

It seems the Fleischmann loco was stopped after 1,936 hours.
Source: http://www.forum.hag-inf...p;postID=78007#post78007

I don't know whether the Märklin loco had a three-pole AC/DC motor or a five-pole DC motor.
Results may be quite different with e.g. a new Märklin V 100 (37000) or a BR 94.5. But some Fleischmann locos also have "maintenance free" can motors.

I quote the link :

I read
Fleischman 2995 km
Marklin : 2546 km
Roco : 1596 km
brawa : 2200 km (amazing)
piko : 537 km
I remember this test it was a comparison between all V 160 from the market . It was with the basic Marklin V160 with Marklin 3 pôles motor from a starter set.
Interesting : the reason of breakdown. For Marklin : worn out collector . (quite normal for the 3 pôles motor....Just change rotor & collector for few euro)
the Marklin 5-pole motor would have done much more km , I think
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#163 Posted : 29 December 2013 02:02:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: lgbjohann Go to Quoted Post
Oh man, saw this show as a re-run on BBC America just the other night........

I think you might have seen the 2nd show on the model trains. The first attempt had a number of trains fail (including James' Flying Scotsman), and they failed to complete the distance. There was a 2nd show made in which they had a 2nd, more successful attempt.
Offline lgbjohann  
#164 Posted : 29 December 2013 03:58:02(UTC)
lgbjohann

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: lgbjohann Go to Quoted Post
Oh man, saw this show as a re-run on BBC America just the other night........

I think you might have seen the 2nd show on the model trains. The first attempt had a number of trains fail (including James' Flying Scotsman), and they failed to complete the distance. There was a 2nd show made in which they had a 2nd, more successful attempt.

Right you are! Yes the first show was interesting and we did see it. Yet, the second show seemed more to your point about practicality in servicing motors (all along the race, as it turns outBigGrin ) and the skill some hobbyists have in quickly knowing what to do when there is a problem.
John
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#165 Posted : 29 December 2013 03:59:07(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
A useful site if you want to understand some of the jargon going on here, DCC-based.
An article on motors and terms used

LINK Now gone...

Edited by user 19 April 2014 01:50:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mulldog Lemon
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#166 Posted : 29 December 2013 04:04:31(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
A useful site if you want to know how much these buggers really cost.
Buy some motors

Link now gone

Edited by user 19 April 2014 01:50:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mulldog Lemon
Offline Goofy  
#167 Posted : 29 December 2013 07:10:35(UTC)
Goofy

Let´s hope Marklin choise coreless or and 5 pole skewed motor!!
Kato is an well famous company who produce very good motor.
I did had once an Kato american HO model and with flyweels.
You can beat that this locomotiv did run smoothe full!! ThumpUp
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Janne75  
#168 Posted : 29 December 2013 10:54:12(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

Endurance test for my can motored BR 81 has lasted now for a little less than 18 hours continuos running. Everything ok and no unusual noises. I took time for it again around outer mainline and it was around 1 minute 10 seconds (actually 69,5 seconds).

I read this BR 81 (29539) instructions and it does not have any service times written like 40 hours or something else? It only has the recommended lubricants Märklin oil 7149 for axles and Trix gear lube for worm drive. As I don't have these I will use instead for axles Faller lightweight oil like always. It must be very similar oil.

For worm drive I will use the same lubricant as for my nitro powered 1:8 scale RC buggys steel pinions and gears from Australia:

"Eureka Pro Racing Products

GEAR, PINION and BELT LUBE

A Superior Lubricant for Steel or Plastic Gears, Pinions and Belts

GEAR AND BELT LUBE
A synthetic Polymer fortified lubricant for use on all remote controlled hobby equipment. A true performance product where waterproof lube and high residual lubrication is required.

APPLICATIONS
Crown Wheels, Pinions, Clutch Bells, Spur Gears, Pulleys and Belts, Suitable for use on Steel, Aluminium, Plastics, Titanium, Nickle and Chrome.

KEY BENEFITS
Smoother & quieter operation
Superior lubrication
High anti-wear
High water resistance
High residual Lubrication

DIRECTIONS
Apply a small amount and remove excess. Re apply when necessary

Made in Australia
info@rcmodelcars.com
Net 30g"

I think that it is suitable for this application as in RC 1:8 nitro buggys this lubricant has MUCH worse operating conditions RollEyes .

Regardless of the locomotive manual without the recommended service interwalls I will lubricate the axles and worm drive after every 24 hours continuos running time. Locomotive is very silent now and it will be interesting to see and hear if this different lubricant has some effect to gear noise level. Most "noise" comes from it's slider/pick up shoe and wheels/rails.

If someone knows a different manufacturer for more silent sliders/pick up shoes that could be used in newer Märklin locomotives I would be very interested in them Cool .

Cheers,
Janne
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline RayF  
#169 Posted : 29 December 2013 11:13:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
What I have deduced from the above articles is that 5 pole is not necessarily better than 3 pole, and a good 3 pole motor is better than a bad 5 pole motor, although generally the better motors tend to be 5 pole. Also, in small motors, 3 pole gives more torque than 5 pole. A 3 pole skew wound motor has almost as little cogging and more torque than a 5 pole straight wound motor.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Janne75  
#170 Posted : 29 December 2013 11:33:51(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
I would be very interested in knowing which Märklin part numbers are for higher quality can motors and what there is inside? 3 or 5 pole armature and if it's skewed or not. Also in which Märklin models these possibly better quality can motors are used by comparing motors part numbers. In my opinion it would be a better choice from Märklin to use some different can motor types to be able to use cheaper (not neccessarily bad ones) in their cheaper models and high quality can motors in their high end premium models.

How could we find this information? Maybe from some Märklin spare part pictures for their locomotives. Is there one for the newer BR 45 for example?

Cheers,
Janne
Offline H0  
#171 Posted : 29 December 2013 11:42:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Also, in small motors, 3 pole gives more torque than 5 pole.
Right so. But if five-pole is strong enough to get the wheels slipping then three-pole and five-pole will give the same tractive effort, but five-pole probably runs smoother.

When Märklin introduced the five-pole locos 35xx, they advertised that the new motors had higher torque and more torque at the same voltages than the older three-pole motors.

Torque depends on many factors.

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
A 3 pole skew wound motor has almost as little cogging and more torque than a 5 pole straight wound motor.
Märklin made the move from five-pole skew wound motor to three-pole straight wound motor. More torque, much more cogging, therefore these new motors are a bigger challenge for the load regulation of the decoder.

And that's one of the problems of the new locos: the load regulation of the decoder is not on the level with other decoders IMHO.

Another "problem" is the fear that the new motors will last only 150 through 200 hours.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Hoffmann  
#172 Posted : 29 December 2013 16:03:00(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

HI all,

Good Brushless motors can be had for less then $ 20.00 RETAIL. Maerklin should have no problem getting these at a better Price.

The Question is Do they want to.

http://www.hobbypartz.co...h50-bl-motor-2900kv.html

Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline TimR  
#173 Posted : 29 December 2013 17:22:08(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

And that's one of the problems of the new locos: the load regulation of the decoder is not on the level with other decoders IMHO.

I agree.
Even with the DCM standard motor, I always find that ESU-made M4 decoders perform better compared to in-house MFX.

Another "problem" is the fear that the new motors will last only 150 through 200 hours.

Now that's the big question mark....

In the good old days, we know that the third party manufacturers of bell-shaped armatures for Marklin models are quite reputable.....(Maxxon, Faulhaber, to name a few),
even if they're famously quite pricey...

The current generation of Marklin motors (from the photos I've seen), which look and feel "el-cheapo", is of unknown origin... Marklin won't tell...
..... High-efficiency Propulsion, they say......

This actually made it safe to assume that they are probably bought in large bulk from any unknown Chinese manufacturer in Alibaba.com (as posted above).

Is opting to use a cheap motor really compensate for the benefits of the better/more expensive motors?

I prefer to have models with a more expensive motor that comes with guaranteed quality, rather than brand-unknown el-cheapos...
AND honestly, I thought Marklin had always pride themselves in the quality of their motors???
Opting to go down this route does't really sit well in my mind.

The other problem:
Why go for new models with downgraded motor, when there's a vast market of second hand models / old stock with markedly better quality motor, that have good running qualities, and well-known reliability?

We are fully informed about them...
As far as I know, I haven't seen a lot of enquiries about BR18.1 (one of the first Marklins w/ bell-shaped motor) ever require a replacement motor...

Edited by user 30 December 2013 09:19:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline Janne75  
#174 Posted : 02 January 2014 11:35:48(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I did some searching from Märklin website and here is the results for 7 Märklin locomotives. Two are older Märklin 3425 (small can motor) and 3611(Faulhaber motor):

Model

29411 "Circus Mondolino" Motor 106 144 Small size? can motor with flywheel
29539 BR 81 Motor 105 817 Normal size? can motor with flywheel
37165 BR 94.5 Motor E169 872 Normal size? can motor with flywheel
37455 BR 45 Motor mit Getriebe E191 443 Unknown motor type? Or photo was from previous model 37450? Looks like Faulhaber round motor, but integrated "getriebe"
3611 BR 18.1 Motor / Getriebe 602620 / 280560 Faulhaber motor
3425 Kittel Motor 68 9360 Miniature (very small) size can motor with flywheel
37902 BR 290 Motor 103 405 SDS with shafts at both ends

See here:

Märklin Ersatzteile

Cheers,
Janne

Edited by user 02 January 2014 20:46:33(UTC)  | Reason: 37902 = SDS motor

Offline H0  
#175 Posted : 02 January 2014 19:05:23(UTC)
H0

Hi!

37902 (BR 290) is the SDS.

The Trix Re 481 22631 has motor 127093 - a five-pole motor with skewed armature, spare part cost € 19.95.

Other can motors:
Lok;BR;Motor;Motor (new);Price (2013)
37405;139;E154000;;59,50
37061;E 17;E176308;E181219;15,00
36420;Ludmilla;E408905;;29,50
36240;BR 24;129454;E190778;29,50
37740;BR 216 (Lollo);E162120;;29,50
37309;Rh. 1012;120939;;34,95; 5-pole motor with skewed armature
37906;V 90;E230562;;180,00
22631;Re 481;127093;;19,95; 5-pole motor with skewed armature
22604;BR 120;120939;;34,95; 5-pole motor with skewed armature
37581;ET 91;E156328;;45,00
37165;BR 94.5;E169872;E235322;29,50
39340;BR 182;E192730;;29,50
39860;BR 189;E192730;;29,50
37778;BR 403/404;E169227;;19,50
37566;Ce 6/8 II;E178182;;29,50

I don't know which of these are 3-pole motors - and I don't care as long as a loco runs smooth.
Frightening how many different numbers there are.
E 17, 24, and 94.5 have two numbers: the old number from the printed manual and the new number from the database (whatever that may mean - could mean the spare parts have a different quality than the motors that were shipped with the locos).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline BrandonVA  
#176 Posted : 02 January 2014 20:09:39(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
There has been some mention of standardized motors in this thread. When I purchase a loco, I add it to an inventory spreadsheet. I also add common spare parts for each loco to the inventory, helps me to buy brushes, sliders, bulbs, etc in bulk when I purchase spare parts. One thing I have added is the motor part number (at time of purchase for the most part) for all my locos. Here is a list of some from the last 10 years that do not have SFCM/DCM motors:
Loco number
36080 411222 (V80)
36120 108070 (Thomas)
36242 E190778 (BR24)*
36826 322099 (Kof)
37140 229475 (BR89.70-75)
37256 145536 (Kittel)
37811 E163818 (BR50)*
37906 E230562 (V90/290)*
39646 116002 (BR64)
29740 E162120 (V160/216 Lollo)*

Granted, many of these are before the "new 3-pole motor", but the disappointing thing to me is that there are so many different part numbers (as noted by Tom), I don't think any two locos in this list share the same number. I have put a * next to anything that is a new product from the last couple of years. The BR64 is obviously a special case with the soft drive and excluded from a expectation for somewhat standardized motors. If a part number doesn't work, add an E in the front. I haven't gone the extra mile like Tom and referenced the prices. I think the motors in these models will last a long time, but I fear for many a replacement will be not be available if/when they do break down.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Janne75  
#177 Posted : 02 January 2014 21:17:12(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

Thanks Tom and Brandon for further information. I think that there are not as many different can motors. There is no idea to have a different motor in each locomotive model. I think there are many different ones, but also that many models share the same type of motor regardless of their Märklin motor part numbers.

A good example is from today. I asked from my Finnish dealer if there is still a new motor available from Märklin to my Kittel 3425 as the old motor is damaged. There was no motor anymore available for 3425 Kittel's spare parts list motor number 68 9360. But there is a motor for 37256 Kittel motor part number 145536. So I will order it and it costs 29,50 euro. As I got my Kittel for free it's nice and cheap Delta loco for that 29,50 euro with perfect box and all papers included. I really hope that it's Delta decoder is not partially damaged also as then it becomes more expensive if I ever get that special decoder. It changes lights direction and also interior lights lit when they get voltage. Kittel won't run, but I have already tested it's miniature size can motor separately with a transformer (full voltage) and it's damaged. It can spin very slowly by helping it first by fingers. I already cleaned it's motor with electronic cleaner spray and put a tiny drop of oil, but it did not help. I opened the motor and one brush was in two pieces! ScaredMaybe I can just replace the possibly damaged Delta decoder with 37256 Digital decoder = a good idea! Cool First new motor and test if Delta decoder is still ok.

I want to write a short information about the 29539 BR 81 endurance test. Today I cleaned it's wheels and lubricated the worm drive. No need to oil the axles. Total running time now around 124 hours since this test began. Next short maintenance break (oiling/lubricating/greasing/cleaning) at Saturday morning around 10 AM Finnish time after around 160 hours total running time. After it without any further maintenance to that 200 hours. Actually I have to end this test at approximately 196 hours total running time at Sunday 12 PM Finnish time. I can then run the rest of this test at Monday as I will not end the test at 4 AM when I'm sleeping. It was already used for some hours before this test started, but I want to run 200 hours test to be sure.

So far everything is ok and BR 81 functions like when it was new. No problems and no odd sounds or smells, nothing ThumpUp .

Cheers,
Janne
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline biedmatt  
#178 Posted : 02 January 2014 21:35:59(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Granted, many of these are before the "new 3-pole motor", but the disappointing thing to me is that there are so many different part numbers (as noted by Tom), I don't think any two locos in this list share the same number. I have put a * next to anything that is a new product from the last couple of years. The BR64 is obviously a special case with the soft drive and excluded from a expectation for somewhat standardized motors. If a part number doesn't work, add an E in the front. I haven't gone the extra mile like Tom and referenced the prices. I think the motors in these models will last a long time, but I fear for many a replacement will be not be available if/when they do break down.

-Brandon

Exactly the same concern I voiced in post #139. How long will they support all these motors? If the new three poles are expected to last 150 hours, what do we do when it croaks and M doesn't have them available? Will we end up with some pretty static models for the shelf?
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Janne75  
#179 Posted : 02 January 2014 21:58:58(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

-Brandon

Exactly the same concern I voiced in post #139. How long will they support all these motors? If the new three poles are expected to last 150 hours, what do we do when it croaks and M doesn't have them available? Will we end up with some pretty static models for the shelf?

Matt,

See my posting above. I'm 100 % sure Märklin don't have a different can motor for each Märklin loco. There must be different versions as physical needs are different, but many locos must have the very same motor types regardless of their Märklin motor part numbers. And we will soon see if a can motor in my BR 81 will last at least for 200 hours. It's a quite long time. For me it is over normal locos total running time for the rest of my life Wink.

Cheers,
Janne

Offline kbvrod  
#180 Posted : 02 January 2014 22:20:03(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Remember the *first* BR 55 (55 5555)? a 37XXX series,bad decoder(IMHO) then the next,same decoder(?) with brass flywheel,...WoW! ThumpUp

Dirt
Offline H0  
#181 Posted : 02 January 2014 22:22:31(UTC)
H0

The different types of motor are probably much fewer: axle sticking out either on one side or on both sides. But still I think there are at least three current motor types (different sizes).
But then many variations will be created by adding smaller or larger flywheels, worm drives or pockets for cardan shafts. These variations may still be a problem for a user who needs a replacement motor.

The new plastic Kittel 37256 is a different prototype class from the old metal Kittel 3425. They may share the same motor size - but maybe they don't.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#182 Posted : 02 January 2014 22:25:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Remember the *first* BR 55 (55 5555)? a 37XXX series,bad decoder(IMHO) then the next,same decoder(?) with brass flywheel,...WoW! ThumpUp
Do you have ref. numbers?
The version with sound had an ESU LokSound decoder, the earlier version without sound probably had the mouse-piano decoder. But I think both should have flywheels.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kbvrod  
#183 Posted : 02 January 2014 22:36:14(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Do you have ref. numbers?
The version with sound had an ESU LokSound decoder, the earlier version without sound probably had the mouse-piano decoder. But I think both should have flywheels.

Hi Tom,all,
Sorry,that was at least a decade ago,... the BR 55 5555 was the road number. No sound and both had the piano decoder,... the -other- BR 55 (37XXX series) had the flywheel,....it was the brake/acceleration movement that made the difference,.....

Dirt
Offline H0  
#184 Posted : 02 January 2014 23:06:32(UTC)
H0

The 37550 (55 5555) came without load regulation (6090 decoder). Load regulation for motors with bell-shaped armatures came with the 60905. Both mouse-piano decoders.
So maybe the load regulation makes the difference. Both had adjustable acceleration/braking delay.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#185 Posted : 02 January 2014 23:15:48(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
The new plastic Kittel 37256 is a different prototype class from the old metal Kittel 3425. They may share the same motor size - but maybe they don't.

Thanks Tom,

I have to double check this one. But if 37256 has also the same small can motor it should be ok. There is then still some possible differencies if the motor itself is the same. The gear in motor output axle may be different or flywheel weight could be different. I didn't know that 37256 Kittel is a plastic body model. So are the older Delta versions only heavier metal body ones?

Janne
Offline kbvrod  
#186 Posted : 02 January 2014 23:35:10(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
The 37550 (55 5555) came without load regulation (6090 decoder). Load regulation for motors with bell-shaped armatures came with the 60905. Both mouse-piano decoders.
So maybe the load regulation makes the difference. Both had adjustable acceleration/braking delay.

Hi Tom,all,
Did not work that way and M knew it,the 60905 did.

D

as in DDC
Offline H0  
#187 Posted : 02 January 2014 23:39:40(UTC)
H0

Off topic: bad news with respect to Kittel: the new type has one worm-drive directly at the motor, the other worm-drive is powered with a cardan shaft.
The old Kittel has a cog-wheel at the motor that drives a long axle with two worm-drives at the ends.

I was only looking at the explosion diagrams.

Back to topic: bad sign if you cannot replace the motor of a railcar from the 2002/2003 catalogue. That's only 11 years.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#188 Posted : 03 January 2014 05:45:25(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Thank you Tom for Kittel motor type info. I should have been seen that myself before. So I don't order 37256 Kittel motor then for 3425 Kittel as it is a completely wrong one. I try to find a Kittel model with correct motor still available.

Sorry for the off topic. It stops now! Wink

Cheers,
Janne
Offline mbarreto  
#189 Posted : 03 January 2014 15:31:05(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I posted 2 Pictures of the 37455 inside in the 37455 thread:

https://www.marklin-user...455-BR45.aspx#post437115

Cheers
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline mjrallare  
#190 Posted : 04 January 2014 20:12:39(UTC)
mjrallare

(I'm copying my reply in the thread mentioned by Miguel above, since I think it also belongs here.)

On their homepage Märklin says; unser technologisches Know-How und unsere Qualitätsprodukte sind weltweit gefragt and zu unseren Kernkompetenzen in der Feinwerktechnik und der miniaturisierten Antriebstechnik...

To me these new motors are not in line with those quotes and with what Märklin has "taught" me in the past. I hope I'm proved wrong and that the motors in three years time will have been found to be of no inferior quality to those we have had before.

Fingers crossed!

/Torbjörn
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mjrallare
Offline Goofy  
#191 Posted : 05 January 2014 09:16:25(UTC)
Goofy

Even cheap 3 pole motors does have 5 years warranty with the locomotivs.
Because Marklin says..."5 years warranty".
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#192 Posted : 05 January 2014 10:05:32(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
That applies to MHI articles only.

Time will tell if the warranty also applies to worn motors.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#193 Posted : 05 January 2014 10:17:32(UTC)
Goofy

Like BR45 has 3 pole motor.
I didn´t wrote MHI articles,since other locomotivs have 3 pole motor too.
So if Marklin support good quality in the MHI models,so does must other locomotivs with 3 pole motor have same good quality since it´s Marklin produce it.
H0
Offline H0  
#194 Posted : 05 January 2014 10:38:17(UTC)
H0

So if Marklin support good quality in the MHI models,so does must other locomotivs with 3 pole motor have same good quality since it´s Marklin produce it.
Märklin buy different types of motors, probably from different manufacturers.
The type of motor used in the BR 45 (I don't know how many poles it has) is completely different from the motor used in BR 94.5 or Lollo/BR218 (three poles). The BR 81 has yet another completely different motor.
The motors used for BR 38.10-40 and others are yet another completely different type.

You have bought two new Märklin locos, covered by the 2-year warranty or maybe even 5-year warranty. Are you willing to do a 2000 hours endurance test with them?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#195 Posted : 05 January 2014 11:50:29(UTC)
Goofy

Märklin buy different types of motors, probably from different manufacturers.
The type of motor used in the BR 45 (I don't know how many poles it has) is completely different from the motor used in BR 94.5 or Lollo/BR218 (three poles). The BR 81 has yet another completely different motor.
The motors used for BR 38.10-40 and others are yet another completely different type.

You have bought two new Märklin locos, covered by the 2-year warranty or maybe even 5-year warranty. Are you willing to do a 2000 hours endurance test with them?

Let´s see results later when i did used them.
Somebody other can do same.
And yes Tom...there is difference type of motor.
But the problem is Marklins attitude by present difference warranty.
3 pole or 5 pole motor...the question is if Marklin decides to present 2 or 5 years warranty.
Even with Faulhaber motor too.
It smells shit from factory Marklin sometimes... Blink

H0
Offline mbarreto  
#196 Posted : 05 January 2014 19:46:56(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

5 years warranty aplies to MHI items but also applies to Insider items. Specifically for the BR58, BR45 and their wagon sets the catalog mentions the 5 years warranty.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline H0  
#197 Posted : 05 January 2014 20:13:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
5 years warranty aplies to MHI items but also applies to Insider items.
Insider items are MHI items.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#198 Posted : 05 January 2014 20:36:55(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
5 years warranty aplies to MHI items but also applies to Insider items.
Insider items are MHI items.

MHI is for everybody to get,while Insider models is for member of the Insider club.

H0
Offline H0  
#199 Posted : 05 January 2014 20:41:28(UTC)
H0

MHI is for everybody to get,while Insider models is for member of the Insider club.
Wrong. There are MHI articles for everybody and there are MHI items for club members.
Not all MHI articles are meant to be bought by Outsiders (but eBay teaches us that theory is grey - Outsiders can also buy Insider MHI models).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mbarreto  
#200 Posted : 05 January 2014 21:21:48(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

...There are MHI articles for everybody and there are MHI items for club members.
Not all MHI articles are meant to be bought by Outsiders (but eBay teaches us that theory is grey - Outsiders can also buy Insider MHI models).

In the catalog says the 5 years warranty is for MHI/Exclusive and club (Märklin and Trix) items. They specify both and that is why I posted before.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto