Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline craigericks  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2013 03:40:31(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Hello,
Recently connected 60215 CS2 with version 3.0(1) software to layout. Computer controlled with TrainController Silver 7.0 v.F8. Find that occupancy sensors do not consistently turn off when train leaves the block. Know S88 and contact tracks work properly because previous control system, Intellibox worked consistently. Noticed in CS2 setup up that S88 can be adjusted in "interval" from 220-1500 us, factory set at 330us; and in "interval query" from 100-1000ms, factory set at 150ms". What is the optimum value to get S88 feedback to work consistently?
Regards,
Craig
Marklin:CS2 and TrainController Gold v10
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2013 04:12:55(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Craig,

From version CS2 2.2.0 traincontroller does not fully support feedback pooling (see http://www.freiwald.com/pages/hardware.htm).

With the new software version there was some issues with feedback and I don't think it has been solved yet. Have a look trough the train controller forum (see http://www.freiwald.com/...Marklin+CS2+S88#p126178.

So you could try and downgrade the software on CS2 to see if it helps?

I guess you are aware that you can adjust in Traincontroller when the the contact should switch off (some contacts may have settings for 2 sec delay to avoid flickering).

I am using 2.0.1 with Train controller gold and have no issues with feedbackpolling.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline craigericks  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2013 04:34:42(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Hi Lasse,
Thank you for the quick reply. That is disappointing news. I will first try to change indicator settings for the delay to see if that works. I just purchase the CS2 with the latest software. Will it harm the CS2 to downgrade the software to a lower version?
Regards,
Craig
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2013 16:22:21(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Craig,

I don't think it should do any harm to downgrade, but other users here can confirm.

Alternative you could also use a module to connect to USB port on your PC from the S88 modules (like the LDT HSI-88 solution).

It works flawless and will give you faster fedback reporting, but you will then by by passing the CS2 so you can not use the feedback without the PC running.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline craigericks  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2013 01:12:29(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Hi Lasse,
Thank you for the recommendation. I did not plan on using the CS2 for running schedules, so feedback from S88 to CS to is not important to me.
I would ask if anyone knows what changing the CS2 S88 settings of interval and interval feedback do?
Regards,
Craig
Offline craigericks  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2013 00:52:52(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Experimented with S88 settings on CS. Found that "interval" at 1500us and "query" at 100ms works consistently. Tried maximum settings then minimum settings for both and settled on the above. Don't know why, because I am not sure what these settings do. Also tried connecting S88s to my old Intellibox and connecting to pc via serial port and adding the IB as another digital system to TrainController and changing some of the contact indicator addresses to the IB. That did not work. Only got some flickers for occupancy. Not sure why, because IB used to work great with the S88s via serial port When IB was my only digital system.
Help from anyone to help me understand this would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Craig
Offline efel  
#7 Posted : 18 November 2013 07:58:44(UTC)
efel

France   
Originally Posted by: craigericks Go to Quoted Post
...because IB used to work great with the S88s via serial port When IB was my only digital system...

Hi,
Have you connected the "T" plug of the S88 to the "ground" (brown wire of the track)? It was not necessary to do so with the intellibox, but it is mandatory with the CS2.
Fred
Offline craigericks  
#8 Posted : 19 November 2013 02:15:32(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Originally Posted by: efel Go to Quoted Post
...because IB used to work great with the S88s via serial port When IB was my only digital system...

Hi,
Have you connected the "T" plug of the S88 to the "ground" (brown wire of the track)? It was not necessary to do so with the intellibox, but it is mandatory with the CS2.

Fred,

Thank you for your help.

I connected one of the "T" plugs of the 1st S88 to the ground, but that did not seem to help.

Two questions please: 1) Must a T plug from each S88 be connected to ground (or perhaps both of the T plugs)?
2) By connecting the T plugs, will that make the IB work has the S88 monitor for TrainController while keeping the CS2 for controlling trains and turnouts?

Once again, thank you for answering my questions
Craig
Offline efel  
#9 Posted : 19 November 2013 14:07:50(UTC)
efel

France   
..1) Must a T plug from each S88 be connected to ground (or perhaps both of the T plugs)?

Only 1 connection to "ground" is needed, for all T are already connected together
..1)
2) By connecting the T plugs, will that make the IB work has the S88 monitor for TrainController while keeping the CS2 for controlling trains and turnouts?

It should work, but if I understand well your post above, it does not?

You may try a step by step check, starting with:
-CS2 and IB track outputs not connected to the track
-S88 (with T connected to ground) connected to IB
-IB connected to the PC, as the sole digital system declared to TC.

->Verify that a wagon running on a s88 detector is well detected by TC.

BTW, I assume that the IB is fed with an other transformer than the one feeding the CS2 and that the transformers have no common connection!

Fred
Offline craigericks  
#10 Posted : 20 November 2013 03:14:15(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
[It should work, but if I understand well your post above, it does not?

You may try a step by step check, starting with:
-CS2 and IB track outputs not connected to the track
-S88 (with T connected to ground) connected to IB
-IB connected to the PC, as the sole digital system declared to TC.

->Verify that a wagon running on a s88 detector is well detected by TC.

BTW, I assume that the IB is fed with an other transformer than the one feeding the CS2 and that the transformers have no common connection!

Fred,
Thank you for the help.
When I connected the S88 "t" connections, I was using only the CS2 and TC. Perhaps I will be able to test the S88 feedback using the IB tomorrow. The IB and CS2 are completely isolated from on another. The IB has its own transformer and its only connection to the layout is via the S88 cable.
Craig
Offline efel  
#11 Posted : 20 November 2013 07:49:24(UTC)
efel

France   
.... The IB has its own transformer and its only connection to the layout is via the S88 cable.
Craig

In that case, the S88 "T" must be connected to ground (=lateral rail).
It would not be not mandatory to do so if the IB were used both for track feeding and S88 detection, for the "T" is connected to the "brown" wire inside the IB, and the brown wire connected to the lateral rail.
Fred
Offline craigericks  
#12 Posted : 21 November 2013 05:11:45(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Fred,
I followed your check list and found that TC block occupancy works with both the IB and CS2. However I found that when I connect both digital systems to TC, only the one listed first works with TC. I have the CS2 connected to the layout to control the trains and turnouts, while the IB is connected to the S88s. If the CS2 is listed first, the trains and turnouts work on TC, but the S88s don't work. If the IB is listed first, then the S88s work, but the trains and turnouts don't run. Another oddity I found is that if I connect the S88s to the CS2 after it has connected to TC, then the S88s seem to work consistently. In all cases the CS2 can directly control the turnouts and the trains. Once again would appreciate any help from anyone who might know how I get both digital systems to work with TC since the issue seems to be that the latest software version on the CS2 has a S88 polling issue in regard to working with TC.
Regards,
Craig
Offline efel  
#13 Posted : 21 November 2013 13:33:19(UTC)
efel

France   
Craigh,
Sorry, I can't help, for the issue seems to be relted to train controler software, that I don't know.
You also might ask to RRTC forum.
Fred
Offline Danlake  
#14 Posted : 21 November 2013 14:51:15(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Craig,

You may get some info in this post from Traincontroller forum:

http://www.freiwald.com/...mp;hilit=using+2+systems

Brgds - Lasse
Offline craigericks  
#15 Posted : 22 November 2013 01:00:03(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Problem Solved!
Thank you Lasse and Fred for all your help with suggestions and pointing me in the right directions.
I now have TC running using both the CS2 and the IB The CS2 controls the trains and turnouts while the IB provides the S88 feedback. The solution was two list the two digital systems in TC. Default control goes to the first system listed in TC. When I had the CS2 listed first, the turnouts, trains, and contact indicators defaulted to the CS2 so the trains and turnouts would work, but had no S88 feedback because I had S88s connected to the IB. When I had the IB listed first, the S88s worked, but the trains and turnouts did not, because the IB was not connected to the track. The solution was to list the CS2 first since it is connected to the tracks to control the trains and turnouts. The IB is listed second. I had to go into TC and change the digital system for each contact indicator to the IB. Once again, thank you so much for your help and patience as I worked through this.
Best Regards,
Craig
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by craigericks