Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AmericanImmigrant  
#1 Posted : 28 September 2013 23:03:03(UTC)
AmericanImmigrant

My Layout is progressing, I have a 7286 turntable, but need roundhouses to go with it.
It does not have to be made by Marklin, but has to be fairly realistic and compatible with the turntable.
I have populated 9 additional access stubs, so would need like 10 * 7.5 degree and 3 * 15 degrees roundhouse sheds (or whatever works).
Offline BrandonVA  
#2 Posted : 30 September 2013 15:00:08(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hi,

I've always like Vollmer 5758 (6 stall roundhouse) and 5754 (3 stall roundhouse). I believe you can also combine these to make a 9 stall.

Faller's current roundhouses are 120277 (3 stall, I think with motorized doors) or 120176 (3 stall with office "tower). Faller are good kits, but I perfer the red brick architectural style of Vollmer in this case.

Marklin's loco shed is 72883, but I am sure it is made by someone else.

Are you adding other locomotive service items near the roundhouse (coaling, watering, sanding, boiler cleaning, cinder removal, service sheds, etc)?

-Brandon
#3 Posted : 30 September 2013 19:23:51(UTC)
AmericanImmigrant

Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I've always like Vollmer 5758 (6 stall roundhouse) and 5754 (3 stall roundhouse). I believe you can also combine these to make a 9 stall.

Faller's current roundhouses are 120277 (3 stall, I think with motorized doors) or 120176 (3 stall with office "tower). Faller are good kits, but I perfer the red brick architectural style of Vollmer in this case.

Marklin's loco shed is 72883, but I am sure it is made by someone else.

Are you adding other locomotive service items near the roundhouse (coaling, watering, sanding, boiler cleaning, cinder removal, service sheds, etc)?

-Brandon

Thank You very much for your input, Brandon. I spent much of yesterday afternoon 'researching' the internet, and came up with a decision: It appears that one has to be careful with the angle between the spokes. I populated 9 additional access tracks, with more a possibility, and so am 'stuck' with 7.5 degree roundhouses. That took Kibri, Vollmer and Marklin out of consideration, leaving me Faller and Fleischmann. Like you, I think red brick seems more natural to Faller's putty plaster, and so 4 Fleischmann stalls are on their way to my brother in Germany.

And yes, all the other objects important as well. Just wanting to define what's 'interesting', meaning more detailed than less detailed.
So now I am looking for a gantry crane type coaling station, a coal storage facility, a water tank, a water dispenser, and all the other things you mention. In fact, you appear to already have some of this stuff, so a picture of your layout would be most welcome.
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2013 21:50:26(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: AmericanImmigrant Go to Quoted Post

Thank You very much for your input, Brandon. I spent much of yesterday afternoon 'researching' the internet, and came up with a decision: It appears that one has to be careful with the angle between the spokes. I populated 9 additional access tracks, with more a possibility, and so am 'stuck' with 7.5 degree roundhouses. That took Kibri, Vollmer and Marklin out of consideration, leaving me Faller and Fleischmann. Like you, I think red brick seems more natural to Faller's putty plaster, and so 4 Fleischmann stalls are on their way to my brother in Germany.

And yes, all the other objects important as well. Just wanting to define what's 'interesting', meaning more detailed than less detailed.
So now I am looking for a gantry crane type coaling station, a coal storage facility, a water tank, a water dispenser, and all the other things you mention. In fact, you appear to already have some of this stuff, so a picture of your layout would be most welcome.

It seems like you already have given this a lot of thought. In North America I don't think Fleischmann is very common, so your choice will be more unique.

As far as my current layout, I am sorry to say I don't really have any steam locomotive servicing/fueling facilities. I would like to add them in a future expansion, but I will not do this until I reach a more complete state with the existing layout. Even though I have no service facilities, you can see the progress of construction here. https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...own---September-3rd.aspx. I don't have any structures down yet, so it probably won't mean too much to this discussion.

Another thing you could consider is a diesel fueling facility, but just depends on what you run.

I have attached a couple of screen shots from the 0700 planning book, to give a couple of ideas of how a service depot might be planned. I have seen many other ways to do these, but perhaps this will help you come up with some ideas. The fist one explains the basic workflow, the other two are layout samples. I'm sorry I don't have an English copy.

-Brandon
BrandonVA attached the following image(s):
roundhouse1.JPG
roundhouse2.JPG
roundhouse4.JPG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
#5 Posted : 30 September 2013 22:51:56(UTC)
AmericanImmigrant

Ooh, I like the middle page best, at first glance. It could fit neatly between sections 10 - thru 13 of my layout, below:
AmericanImmigrant attached the following image(s):
Kleinkleckersdorf2.jpg
Kleinkleckersdorf3.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AmericanImmigrant
Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 01 October 2013 14:52:24(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
That's the most impressive version IMO, a lot of room for workshops and service. That particular layout is built entirely around just the service yard!

If you want to have a look a details (or other versions) you can download the 0700 track book here as a PDF:

http://www.lctm.info/Biblioteca/Libros/

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
#7 Posted : 01 October 2013 15:56:05(UTC)
AmericanImmigrant

Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
That's the most impressive version IMO, a lot of room for workshops and service. That particular layout is built entirely around just the service yard!

If you want to have a look a details (or other versions) you can download the 0700 track book here as a PDF:

http://www.lctm.info/Biblioteca/Libros/

-Brandon

Sweet! Downloaded that document... By the way, the tracks in brown are the Kleinkleckersdorf Main Station, and the Freight Station will be added later, space and material dependent... Thank You very much for your post.
#8 Posted : 28 August 2014 00:08:21(UTC)
AmericanImmigrant

I purchased four Fleischmann Roundhouses 6476, and progress on the layout tables required that it be assembled and glued and mounted. Assembly and gluing is ordinary enough, except for the installation of the doors. They are held in place by the top jamb in the form of a crossbar. It is a solid plastic piece with two holes for each set of doors. Just imagine the patience required to fiddle 6 doors into 6 longitudinal bars and into the 6 holes of the crossbar, Of course, all tabs are exactly the same size, and one just has to try and try again. Glad my kids are on their own. Their vocabulary might have been 'enriched' some.

The roof is another area of difficulty. Only after I completed the first three stalls I decided to maybe think about the roof, as there should be no way that it be as difficult as was, given the ease and fit of the rest of the building. Yup, it all fits together so nice, except for that dang roof.

It makes things much easier if one installs the skylight before any of the roof plates. So much so that I made a special effort to show what I mean. In fact, once the skylights have been glued into place (lining up with the top edge of the supporting trusses) the roof plates simply 'hooked' behind the skylight and fell right into place, neatly, perfect fits all around. All I had to do is dab a little glue at the front corners of each roof plate. Easy, once one knows this little trick.

Yup, it's All Good now. Thank You, Fleischmann.

Edited by user 28 August 2014 22:42:37(UTC)  | Reason: additional installation remarks, good to know, even if you read the instructions

AmericanImmigrant attached the following image(s):
20140827_180707[1].jpg
20140827_180707.jpg
20140828_143104.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by AmericanImmigrant