Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Winterblade73  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2013 22:56:43(UTC)
Winterblade73

United States   
Phil from SoCal
Member of ETE SoCal since 2011
ETE SoCal Facebook Page
Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois (CFL) Era III-VI
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2013 23:19:18(UTC)
Webmaster

Too many severe train accidents lately, this one reminds me of the Enschede ICE disaster some years ago... Crying
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2013 06:51:56(UTC)
Goofy

Eye witness are saying that train set did split very easy under the crash!! Scared
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline NS1200  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2013 08:02:18(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
According to the Dutch press this morning a Spanish government official would have stated that the train drove at 220 km/h where only 80 km/h was allowed.
Can any Spanish members confirm this statement?
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline NS1200  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2013 12:34:14(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Latest update: train drove 190 km/h,allowed 80 km/h.
77 confirmed death,130 wounded of which 20 serious.
Offline arcanjo  
#6 Posted : 25 July 2013 13:24:08(UTC)
arcanjo

Portugal   
Impressive...

A sad day...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by arcanjo
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 25 July 2013 13:32:34(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Impressive live clip of the crash.
Was this a Talgo type train?
If so,were the coaches connected by means of shared wheelsets between the coaches?
If yes,if one coach goes,it will pull the others with it,i guess.
Offline arcanjo  
#8 Posted : 25 July 2013 13:47:16(UTC)
arcanjo

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Impressive life clip of the crash.
Was this a Talgo type train?
If so,were the coaches connected by means of shared wheelsets between the coaches?
If yes,if one coach goes,it will pull the others with it,i guess.

This is the train:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvia

I think the coaches share the bogeys...
Offline petestra  
#9 Posted : 25 July 2013 14:24:04(UTC)
petestra

United States   
It seems the first coach after the Lok went off the rails and took the Lok and the other coaches

with it? Very tragic. Crying Peter
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 25 July 2013 17:00:02(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Such a tragedy.....Crying
i have read in Le Monde that the sections of the tracks where the accident took place were not constructed for the AVE, but they used the preexistent tracks, mainly to the high cost to buy the terrains to build the new line, and that they had previous troubles on that curve............so, sadly it was just a matter of time to have such a tragedy............again economic matters were putted over safety and the potentially human cost were neglectedThumbDown
A strong hug to all my friends in Spain and to the families of all the victims and wounded people
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Western Pacific  
#11 Posted : 25 July 2013 17:29:03(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
i have read in Le Monde that the sections of the tracks where the accident took place were not constructed for the AVE, but they used the preexistent tracks, mainly to the high cost to buy the terrains to build the new line, and that they had previous troubles on that curve............so, sadly it was just a matter of time to have such a tragedy............again economic matters were putted over safety and the potentially human cost were neglectedThumbDown
A strong hug to all my friends in Spain and to the families of all the victims and wounded people

I do agree that this is a sad accident.

On the other hand sometimes there is a need to accept economic realities - unfortunately some countries are in a situation where they have some difficulties finding financing, to put it mildly, and Spain is one of those where other EU countries, mainly €-zone countries, have had to bail them out. Accepting such realities then unfortunately can have consequences like this sad accident.
Offline hennabm  
#12 Posted : 25 July 2013 18:00:32(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

Very sad news and looking more like driver error from reports here in the UK.

Looking at the clip, I am surprised there are not more dead.

The clip is frightening as if we scale that down we see that sometimes in our own rail system, but thankfully with no loss of life.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline NS1200  
#13 Posted : 25 July 2013 19:24:54(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Western Pacific Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post

I do agree that this is a sad accident.

On the other hand sometimes there is a need to accept economic realities - unfortunately some countries are in a situation where they have some difficulties finding financing, to put it mildly, and Spain is one of those where other EU countries, mainly €-zone countries, have had to bail them out. Accepting such realities then unfortunately can have consequences like this sad accident.

In the Dutch press of tonight it is stated that railtraffic in Spain is much safer than for example in Holland.
The risk to die in a railaccident is some 50 percent lower in Spain,according to the European Rail Organisation.
This has of course to do with traffic/milage ratio.
The more departures,the more risk.

Again this incident is a matter of "being at the wrong place at the wrong time".
Offline Yumgui  
#14 Posted : 25 July 2013 19:32:11(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Wow, what a violent crash !

Heard on the radio today that deaths are up to 80 now ... :/
... and that, in addition to the driver going 190 km/h on a curved stretch of track with a max speed limit of 80 km/h with previous reported incidents (compared with Bretigny-sur-Orge where the speed was 137 km/h in a 150 km/h zone; small increments of speed really do kill !), the guy apparently posted several times on his Facebook-EN / Facebook-ES page how he wanted to "go fast" without getting caught ; a driver with 30 years experience, and no previous problems ?!!

So, we can imagine that the tracks are not in great shape for economic reasons, but (and if what I heard on the radio turns out to be true [can't always trust what the media says, eh ?]) when a nut is allowed behind the controls there is not much anyone can do ...
Question is, how did RENFE allow this guy to on on for so long ... ???

Sad, sad ... and tragically senseless,

Y

Edited by user 25 July 2013 23:08:36(UTC)  | Reason: ...

If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline rhtastro  
#15 Posted : 25 July 2013 23:46:17(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
Over 80 people died in a Northern Spain rail crash yesterday. It was a high speed train that crashed on a curve while doing over twice the speed allowed on that curve. The driver had boasted about his ability to go fast, on his facebook page, and it appeared that he did. So now we have speed demons driving trains and airline pilots who don't really know how to fly, manually. ie: 4 Korean pilots trying to land at San Franciso last week without using automatic controls. They crashed into the sea wall in front of the runway. Some world we have.

S-Bob
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline danmarklinman  
#16 Posted : 25 July 2013 23:53:08(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Yumgui Go to Quoted Post
Wow, what a violent crash !

Heard on the radio today that deaths are up to 80 now ... :/
... and that, in addition to the driver going 190 km/h on a curved stretch of track with a max speed limit of 80 km/h with previous reported incidents (compared with Bretigny-sur-Orge where the speed was 137 km/h in a 150 km/h zone; small increments of speed really do kill !), the guy apparently posted several times on his Facebook-EN / Facebook-ES page how he wanted to "go fast" without getting caught ; a driver with 30 years experience, and no previous p
So, we can imagine that the tracks are not in great shape for economic reasons, but (and if what I heard on the radio turns out to be true [can't always trust what the media says, eh ?]) when a nut is allowed behind the controls there is not much anyone can do ...
Question is, how did RENFE allow this guy to on on for so long ... ???

Sad, sad ... and tragically senseless,

Y

It is very tragic to see this rail crash. I can't get the thought out of my head of a child looking for there parents!
And I would not want to hang the driver before his judged!
I hope that the outcome brings about an even greater rail safety
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline petestra  
#17 Posted : 25 July 2013 23:55:29(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Yes, Bob. There are bad apples in every profession. There are thousands of flights and train trips

every day where nothing happens. Those are my kind of trips! Peter

Cheers and ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp to all those who do their jobs right!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 26 July 2013 05:18:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Video footage from a security camera shows the train going way too fast through the corner.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/w...use-of-Spain-train-crash

Offline Jay  
#19 Posted : 26 July 2013 08:00:34(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
On the news that the driver tweeted the speed of the train moments before the accident!!!
Daft I'd say if true. But lets wait for the outcome of the investigation before pronouncing on
the driver.
J
Offline Goofy  
#20 Posted : 26 July 2013 08:25:08(UTC)
Goofy

One of the locomotiv driver was member in facebook and under march month did picture a speed about 200 km/h...!!!
Same driver in this accident!!! Cursing
His membersship has now been banned in the facebook! ThumpUp
H0
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
xxupJay
Offline jeehring  
#21 Posted : 26 July 2013 11:53:55(UTC)
jeehring

I Wonder why the automatic braking system was not engaged.....
On French railways ALL locomotives -including TGVs - receive signals from balises....The alarm sounds & "says" the driver to adjust the speed. If the driver didn't react after few seconds the system engages an immediate automatic braking of the train....
I think every railways in Europe have similar system....also in Spain . So the question is : as the train was too fast why the automatic braking system didn't stop the train before the sharp curve ?....
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline biedmatt  
#22 Posted : 26 July 2013 13:43:38(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post

I think every railways in Europe have similar system....also in Spain . So the question is : as the train was too fast why the automatic braking system didn't stop the train before the sharp curve ?....

Maybe they can't afford it? I just saw an episode of Top Gear- Five lane motorways without anyone on them, a brand new airport-never opened and a city with multiple 10 story apartment buildings with no one around. At first you would think it was the Ukranian exclusion zone until you notice the structures are brand new. I knew their economic situation was bad, but this made it clear how severe it is.

http://www.bbcamerica.co...ide/season-20/episode-3/
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline NS1200  
#23 Posted : 26 July 2013 14:40:00(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Once again: the Spanish railway system is considered to be more safe than that in Holland,for example,based on departures/milage ratios,nothing to do with the severe economic crisis in Spain.
No matter how safe the system there are always idiots who sabotage the system for their own good,remember the disaster at Chernobyl.
And there is the ever present room for human error over automated systems,including people in control rooms behind panels with switches they can turn off!
Do recall the crash of a highspeed "magnet"train on a closed loop in Germany,killing several people on a workingcart,the guy in the controlroom forgot they were there!
Sometimes warning systems are simply ignored,like the Turkish 737 trying to land at Amsterdam airport and falling short of the runway,landing on autopilot and stall alarm sounding loud and clear,these were experienced pilots!

Just read that the driver has been officially accused of committing a crime and as such is being guarded by police in the hospital.
The trains black boxes have been recovered and will be examined.
Offline jeehring  
#24 Posted : 26 July 2013 15:57:47(UTC)
jeehring

.....(...)...Sometimes warning systems are simply ignored.....

...it is more than a " warning system"....: if the driver doesn't react after few seconds the train automatically brakes & stops...

What bothers me is the presence of a sharped double curve....right in the middle of a hi speed line...
On 300/350 km/h High speed lines, the radius of curves is round about 6 KM / 7 KM....
MY question is : I have read a map on which this part of the line is mentionned as a " Hi-speed line"....Confused ...so what kind of line it really is ?....is the design of this line in standards ? (the line opened on december 2011...)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline H0  
#25 Posted : 26 July 2013 17:17:33(UTC)
H0

As far as I understand, the curve is the near the place where the new high-speed line connects to previously existing lines.
They also wrote there is a transition between the new high-speed train control system and the old system.

On the high-speed line from Cologne to Frankfurt, trains have to run 25+ km at moderate speeds before they can "fly".
In Germany speeds above 160 km/h are only allowed with LZB - and with LZB the train is under permanent control and cannot exceed the permitted speed.

The older German PZB system (aka INDUSI) does not always prevent overspeed.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline biedmatt  
#26 Posted : 26 July 2013 18:47:28(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post

MY question is : I have read a map on which this part of the line is mentionned as a " Hi-speed line"....Confused ...so what kind of line it really is ?....is the design of this line in standards ? (the line opened on december 2011...)

National news here reported it as new track laid on an old right of way. Speed limit for turn was reported as 50MPH.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Goofy  
#27 Posted : 26 July 2013 18:51:58(UTC)
Goofy

It seems that is technology which are problem.
Automatic Train Control should have shut off trainset if it was in too high speed long before to curve.
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline NS1200  
#28 Posted : 26 July 2013 19:16:18(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
In tonights major Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad it is stated that on the piece of track where the crash occured the socalled ASFA safety system is in use.
This system gives warnings with lamps and sound when speed is too high,it does not control the speed.
It would seem that the driver Fransisco Jose Garzon has ignored the warnings,for whatever reason.
Four kilometres earlier on the high speed line the ERTMS system is in force,automatically breaking when speed is too high.
Garzon worked already 13 years as engine driver for Renfe and was aquainted with this particular stretch for over a year.
Apparently he put pictures on Facebook with speedometer over 200 km/h,joking he fooled the Guardia Civil,the Spanish police.
How mad can you get i wonder.
How many times did his passengers escape through the eye of a needle before this disaster took finally place?
Why was he not stopped by his fellow engine driver,was he a partner in crime?
Questions,questions.

Paul.

Edited by user 27 July 2013 08:22:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline franciscohg  
#29 Posted : 26 July 2013 19:42:22(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
http://mobile.liberation...-train-a-deraille_920689

There the driver's fault, no doubt of it, but the design was also bad, it seems

Let's hope that not only the driver gets all the blame, but everyone that had some responsability on the creation of the proper conditions for that tragedy to happen.........
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Yumgui  
#30 Posted : 26 July 2013 20:30:04(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Interesting article Francisco ... didn't know you read FRA ^^ ;)

In short, and as you have already mentioned, there is a partial explanation to jeehring's question above (paraphrased translation) :

"This is the first train accident on AVE high speed track (TGV equivalent in Spain).
Between Madrid and Ferrol, to the north of Galicia, trains travel through track sections alternating between TGV high speed and standard Spanish tracks. And precisely at the curve where the accident occurred, the track is standard for reasons explained by the RENFE as related to expropriation issues in this urban context leading to decisions not to "upgrade" the track.

High speed AVE track is subject to ERTMS (European Rail Trafic Management System) which automatically regulates speed ...
Standard track is only regulated by ASFA (Automatic Braking and Signal Announcement, a Spanish system) depending on "markers".
However, there are no markers on the section of track where the accident occurred.
In other words, when approaching the curve, no automatic system is available and vigilance is entirely human ...

The driver upon rescue manifested his worry at having possibly killed people, but has since gone silent ...
"

Agreed, looks like human error, bad design ... and political/financial impasse ... !

Yum :/
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline franciscohg  
#31 Posted : 26 July 2013 20:48:56(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: Yumgui Go to Quoted Post
Interesting article Francisco ... didn't know you read FRA ^^ ;)

Yum :/

ohhhhh.. that is due to my parents decision of made me study a L'Alliance Francaise............Cool

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline rbonet  
#32 Posted : 26 July 2013 21:46:30(UTC)
rbonet

Spain   
There is a good sumary in a Spanish newspaper:
http://elpais.com/elpais...a/1374703338_483146.html
The article is in Spanish, but most of the information is also in graphical form.

Rafael
Collecting Era I, II & III, mainly German, French & Spanish RR, some USA
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by rbonet
Offline rhtastro  
#33 Posted : 26 July 2013 21:54:07(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
The black boxes indicate the train was going 190kmph when it should have been going 80. The driver says he "really 'f----- up' and wants to die." Automatic speed controls, used in most high speed trains in Europe, were not in use at the time. Also, that piece of track was not part of the high speed rail system. Maybe he forgot where he was or worse.

S-Bob
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline Webmaster  
#34 Posted : 26 July 2013 22:01:56(UTC)
Webmaster

New topic by Bob merged into this existing topic.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline petestra  
#35 Posted : 26 July 2013 22:05:46(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Thanks, Rafael. I just learned a few more facts from the newspaper story.

PeterCool
Offline rbonet  
#36 Posted : 26 July 2013 22:11:45(UTC)
rbonet

Spain   
Originally Posted by: rhtastro Go to Quoted Post
... Automatic speed controls, used in most high speed trains in Europe, were not in use at the time. Also, that piece of track was not part of the high speed rail system. ....

S-Bob

Bob, I'm very sorry but your sentences are inaccurate. Please refer to the article in El Pais I referenced in my previous post.

This article is also interesting (this time in English): http://www.scientificame...h-high-speed-train-crash

Rafael
Collecting Era I, II & III, mainly German, French & Spanish RR, some USA
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rbonet
Offline Yumgui  
#37 Posted : 26 July 2013 22:29:00(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbonet Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rhtastro Go to Quoted Post
... Automatic speed controls, used in most high speed trains in Europe, were not in use at the time. Also, that piece of track was not part of the high speed rail system. ....
S-Bob

Bob, I'm very sorry but your sentences are inaccurate. Please refer to the article in El Pais I referenced in my previous post.
This article is also interesting (this time in English): http://www.scientificame...h-high-speed-train-crash
Rafael

I think you are both saying the same thing ... namely, if it can be resumed "in a nutshell" :

An automated high-speed straight section imposing a very short braking distance to a "manual" low speed curve ... is certainly a recipe for disaster !

Y ...

Edited by user 27 July 2013 09:45:23(UTC)  | Reason: ...

Offline NS1200  
#38 Posted : 27 July 2013 08:18:21(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
It is my firm belief that the driver is guilty and the driver only.
The driver new the stretch where he crashed,he has been there many times before.
As such he knew he should reduce speed when changing from high speed track to lower speed track.
He also new that the low speed track is not having an automatic braking system.
He knew it all!
His colleagues are saying he is actually a slow driver by nature,always turning in late.
I dare to doubt such statements made by colleagues in the same profession.
It is a common human habit between colleagues to cover each others back,if you are not part of the pack you are out as a colleague.
Perhaps they were all doing some speeding on the slow track and escaped unnoticed sofar.
I understand he had some 4,000 mtrs distance to reduce speed when leaving the high speed track,that should be adequate.
It is the same thing with traffic lights for roadtraffic,if they turn red you need to stop,still a number of people ignore them for their own good,are we to blame the trafficlights for that?!
Offline H0  
#39 Posted : 27 July 2013 08:41:21(UTC)
H0

It is my firm belief that the driver is guilty and the driver only.
He seems to be guilty, but he must be given the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know how many signs there are. I cannot judge how big his mistakes are.

When a German BR 101 crashed into a garden after derailing on a turnout at 120 km/h (only 40 km/h) allowed, the driver was found guilty. But he got a mild sentence as others had made mistakes, too. There were irritating speed limit signs at the track that should not have been there that day, the dispatcher should have warned the train drivers about an unusual route but did not.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline NS1200  
#40 Posted : 27 July 2013 09:23:12(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
H0,

As always i am expressing my personal opinion,based on what i read in the serious(!) press overhere.
When recovered from the wreckage,the first spoken words of the driver are stated to be (quote) I fu...d it up!(unquote).
He now refuses to make any statements to the police,he uses his right to remain silent.
Perhaps he is not to blame and i am wrong,could be.
In any event his life will be over.
Yesterday evening we had a very impressive photo on the frontpage of the newspaper in Rotterdam,a fireman carrying a wounded child from the train to an ambulance,she lives to tell!

In Holland,our hearts are with the relatives and loved ones of the victims,may they find the strength to overcome this tragedy.
Offline Goofy  
#41 Posted : 27 July 2013 09:50:56(UTC)
Goofy

In this train accident there is three problem:
1.Locomotiv driver
2.ATC not placement in some area of the high speed track
3.Signalman to discovering about traffic holding
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Danlake  
#42 Posted : 27 July 2013 09:57:19(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
This is indeed a tragic accident.

The immediate root cause will probably be a criminal act from train driver but as Tom pointed out, underlying root cause also need to be asked:

- What is safety culture in this company if train drivers are regularly braking the speed limits?
- Where is the external audit/verification to ensure train drivers are following correct procedures?
- Was there a external time pressure?
- Why is there no safety barriers in place to ensure you cannot use excessive speed on a transition track (budget cuts)?
- Why has it not been raised by the public or passengers previously travelling on the train (surely someone with rail knowledge would have noted if a train was performing such speeding regularly)?
- Maybe the hazard was not identified (people have different perception of danger) – we thought the track would be safe enough to go 200 km/t – the rule is just bureaucracy etc.

Similar for the incident in Canada, I am still perplexed to understand how it can ever have been approved in a risk assessment to park an oil train on a hill overnight and in case the brake fails it will roll downhill to centre of city and probably derail? But I guess a risk assessment was never done?

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Goofy  
#43 Posted : 27 July 2013 10:07:22(UTC)
Goofy

Let´s see the fact what it happens with an trainset use 200 km/t.
To slow down speed you need at least 2000 metres(2 km) to ahead 80 km/t.
For the freight train at 120 km/t and depends of heavy poundage behind of the locomotiv you need too at least 2000 metres before to reduce to accept speed.
H0
Offline H0  
#44 Posted : 27 July 2013 10:57:44(UTC)
H0

When recovered from the wreckage,the first spoken words of the driver are stated to be (quote) I fu...d it up!(unquote).
NS1200,

He said that right after the accident in a state of shock.
He has been driving trains on that route for one year and this should not have happened.

But the level of guilt is still unknown. You mentioned Chernobyl: disabled security systems are one story, insufficient security systems are another story. I read that there were two drivers on the train, but I don't know if both were in the cab at the time of the accident.

Unless he disabled the security systems, he was not the only one who could have prevented this accident - and then he would not be the only guilty person IMHO.
In order to learn from this incident and to prevent future accidents, this accident must be fully analysed. Saying it was the driver's fault "only" is too simple with the little facts we know now.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#45 Posted : 27 July 2013 11:03:17(UTC)
Goofy

Latest news in massmedia:
ATC was worked and it did about 4 km before accident!!
Locomotive driver did ignore it and keeped on use high speed!!
He is quilty but not been question out yet.
H0
Offline Brakepad  
#46 Posted : 27 July 2013 13:08:17(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
Hi,

The driver was going too fast, this is a fact, and obviously the direct responsible of going that fast was the driver.

But as stated before in the thread, it's just incredible that the decision on "how fast to go" is left solely in the driver's hand, even with signals, route plan and so on.

For me, the facebook pictures with the speedometer showing 200 km/h mean nothing- this train runs 200 km/h most of the route from Madrid to Santiago. In my opinion, people who blames the driver for showing a picture of a speedometer showing a "normal speed" for that train in most sections of that route should refrain from doing so. As press in this country is all but serious, most newspapers have shown that particular picture, thus "preparing" everybody to assume that the driver was irresponsible. Maybe he was, but facts will show, not pictures in facebook.

The ERMTS section before the tight curve is a completely straight, 80 km long track section allowing for 200 km/h top speed. Then the ERMTS monitoring/control system changes to ASFA (Signal Analysis and automatic braking) just before the curve starts. ASFA is a safety system but, other than signaling to the driver that the train is running too fast, it will only brake the train in events such as passing a red light (it will not control speed or reduce trains's speed if going faster than the speed limit).

For those who point out the condition of the track as being a possible "side responsible" in the accident: The track was laid on an old route, true, but the track was new and had no issues: the reason for the 80 km/h speed limit was not the track but the curve. The track was new and actually in the video it can be seen that it withstands the train going that fast on it particularly well. No technical issues with the track or the train, only real (and pathetic) issue concerning the outdated ASFA safety system in a particularly critical point, and a driver who obviously did not take care of that particular speed limit.

The worst thing is that in this crappy country, politicians will agree that the driver was fully responsible for the crash and will keep on filling their pockets with as much money as possible. Political decisions that may affect technical aspects which may lead to some deaths? Bah...that's not important, but please, book me a 5 star hotel and let's go lunch to the Ritz.

Some facts regarding the train: This was a special version of the Alvia train (the S730, former S130H where H stands for Hybrid). It is special because differently to the "standard" Alvia train (S130), it is hybrid: other than being able to run on electrified sections (25KV AC or 3 KV DC) it has a Diesel power generator just behind each end motor car which allows it to run on non-electrified sections. It is, actually, the first hybrid passenger train unit in the world. The passenger coaches are Talgo S7 ones (manufacturer's name for the train is Talgo 250, 250 being the train's operational top speed). It is able to run on iberian gauge (1668 mm) as well as on high speed gauge (1435mm which is the same as Euro gauge).

This hybrid configuration was choosen because, precisely on the Madrid-Ferrol route there are still some non-electrified sections.

And, as a matter of fact, it can be seen in the video that the derailment starts when the generator car (which is the heaviest one and also the one having the highest gravity center due to the presence of the 6,6 Ton diesel engine inside coupled to the generator) tilts due to the centrifugal force at the excessive speed and the inner wheels take off, dragging the coaches behind it and the front end motor car.

Edited by user 27 July 2013 21:20:46(UTC)  | Reason: orto+gram

check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Brakepad
Offline NS1200  
#47 Posted : 27 July 2013 13:24:56(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
NS1200,

He said that right after the accident in a state of shock.
He has been driving trains on that route for one year and this should not have happened.

But the level of guilt is still unknown. You mentioned Chernobyl: disabled security systems are one story, insufficient security systems are another story. I read that there were two drivers on the train, but I don't know if both were in the cab at the time of the accident.

Unless he disabled the security systems, he was not the only one who could have prevented this accident - and then he would not be the only guilty person IMHO.
In order to learn from this incident and to prevent future accidents, this accident must be fully analysed. Saying it was the driver's fault "only" is too simple with the little facts we know now.

H0,

You should become a lawyer in the USA,trying to get away with anything.
Arguments about each and everything,blablabla.
When do people start to take their own responsibility again,instead of blaming somebody else?!
The guy was at fault,period.
Or are we going to trial a signpost?

This mornings paper says he was 5 minutes late,perhaps he tried to catch in on that?
Offline biedmatt  
#48 Posted : 27 July 2013 14:38:28(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Brakepad Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

For me, the facebook pictures with the speedometer showing 200 km/h means nothing- this train runs 200 km/h most of the route from Madrid to Santiago. In my opinion, people who blames the driver for showing a picture of a speedometer showing a "normal speed" for that train in most sections of that route should refrain from doing so. As press in this country is all but serious, most newspaper have shown that particular picture, thus "preparing" everybody to assume that the driver was irresponsible. Maybe he was, but facts will show, not pictures in facebook.

Thank you! Trying to connect a seperate event that is the correct operation of the loko to this event is not only wrong, but irresponsible.

The equipment, both loko and track, were fine and not to blame for the incident. How or why the engineer screwed up is simply conjecture at this point and may never be established if he does not explain himself.
Matt
Era 3
Offline NS1200  
#49 Posted : 27 July 2013 14:45:53(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Brakepad,

Unlike you,i do not opine that Spain is a crappy country and your country is certainly not seen that way by the Dutch public in general,as many Dutchmen can testify who are now enjoying their holidays in your beautiful homeland.
Because there is a worldwide economic crisis this does not imply that given countries are crappy,forgive me for saying.

In this mornings paper it was stated that driver Garzon travelled the same stretch for 60 times!
Well,surely after driving the same route 60 times you must understand the local speed limit,or what?!
Garzon knew there were some sharp turns not fit for 200 km/h,he had been there before many times!
How many warning systems are needed to correct a nuthead i wonder.
The sound alarms and lights must have warned him and he decided to ignore them,so now we are blaming politicians that the slow speed track is not yet having an automatic stopping system,that must be a bad joke!
If we are going to automate entire railwaysystems we could do away with drivers alltogether,and just needing to trust computers blindly,are we willing to do that?
And who is going to pay the bill for extensive automation when people have empty pockets already?

Spain will survive the crisis like we will all survive it,and Spain will be as beautiful as ever!

Cheers,
Paul.

Offline H0  
#50 Posted : 27 July 2013 15:11:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Brakepad Go to Quoted Post
The ERMTS section before the tight curve is a completely straight, 80 km long track section allowing for 200 km/h top speed. Then the ERMTS monitoring/control system changes to ASFA (Signal Analysis and automatic braking) just before the curve starts.
For safety reasons ERMTS should end with a speed limit of 80 km/h at this point.
Stupid to have a highly safe control system end before a dangerous point.

Automatic train security systems have been used for more than 100 years to prevent human errors to lead to tragedies.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage