Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 17 June 2013 23:50:16(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hello,

I have got some problems with a couple of my 74490 turnout motors. They either won't work to any direction or only to one direction. Some manual switching helped temporarily, but now I think it is a good time to change all four main track turnout motors from 74490 to 74491 versions. I don't remember if many of my other 15 turnout motors are 74490 or 74491 versions... Unsure I hope that they are 74491 "improved" LOL versions... I just read that these 74491 versions also fail similarly like older 74490 did = what a huge improvement mother Märklin has done Wink .

So should I buy tomorrow four new 74491 and put my ThumpUp and praise the Lord that they will last forever RollEyes or is it better to spray some CRC (what exact product?) to these 74490 that are having problems? Where should I spray that CRC to clean/lubricate the mechanism?

PS. I read somewhere that many people who have had problems with turnout motors have got them from starter sets. These are also from starter sets (29500 and 29680) and are wide angle turnouts 24711 and 24712. No problems so far with other turnouts (I cross my fingers...). I hope that I bought 74491's to other turnouts but I'm not sure which product there is.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2013 00:07:51(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I doubt you'll be able to clean the contact, they are pretty small and basically sealed switches, I wouldn't waste time. The only one I had problems with did not come from a starter set and while sometimes starter sets have a slightly cut price version of the trains I doubt the motors would be any different to the ones you buy loose. There are other brands making motors and it'll be a good idea to try them. I think some people have used the viessmann, ask people here about them.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline Drongo  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2013 01:28:47(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Views messages in topic : 1,224
Hi Janne,

Have a look at my post regarding the repairing of the motors. Have a go at this and if it doesn't work, then buy the 74991's - if it works then you'll save some money to buy something else.. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
https://www.marklin-user...urnout-Motors-74990.aspx

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Janne75  
#4 Posted : 18 June 2013 08:47:42(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

Thanks Greg. I will buy today four 74491's anyway and put them in my mainline wide angle turnouts. They are so important turnouts that it is worth the small expense to buy them. I need to see their position from my CS2 too as they are the farest turnouts from CS2 and not easily manually operated (reachable).

So because of this I will not fix these wide angle turnout motors, but keep them as spare parts/test parts. I hope that these new 74491 will work for years. I can try to fix my old 74490 turnout motors later or use the still functioning spare ones in some less important and easily accessible place.

It is good that there is not yet any glued scenery near tracks, so no problem at this stage. It must feel very dissapointing when turnout motors fail in a layout with full scenery and not possible to remove tracks without breaking things... It will not look as good, but my layout turnouts must work and it is the top priority. I use also Memory-functions (Routes), so if some turnouts don't work there is not functioning routes Unsure .

If these turnout motors are so unreliable I will make my scenery later near the tracks so that it is possible to remove tracks. My first plan was to glue scenery stuff so that it would not be possible to do this. Even more so if these new 74491's will also fail after a while ThumbDown .

Cheers,
Janne

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 18 June 2013 17:05:18(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hello again,

I bought today four new 74491 turnout motors. Three of them works ok, but unfortunately one of these was already broken from factory. It had it's linkage loose and when I put it carefully back in place it won't work to it's other position... My dealer will give me a new 74491 and I return this to him. He sends it to Märklin.

So I had to take one of my still working 74490 and install it to this wide angle turnout. Now it works ok. Then I noticed that one other turnout had stopped working in other direction. So I had to take my last "spare part" working 74490 turnout motor and now all my turnouts work well. I hope that they will do it for a long time. I'm not in a hurry to install catenary or scenery, so I will just run my trains and use my turnouts to see if more of them will fail in the future. If after a year or so everything is still working then I will begin to install catenary and do the scenery work. My dealer told me that older 74490 version can be as reliable as "improved" 74491 version. All that is needed is good luck with these products really BigGrin . Best option would be to have open space below every turnout. This is not possible in my layout.

Now when I have three failed 74490 I will try to fix them as I have nothing to loose. If I get them fixed I will use them later.

Regards,
Janne
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#6 Posted : 18 June 2013 20:13:18(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
I find it quite remarkable that M still has not sorted out the ongoing turnout mechanism saga - be it 74490 or 74491, they both are just plain downright unreliable...I have removed all the 74491's from my two shunting yard turnouts, and re-positioned both the shunting areas nearer to hand, so that I can use the "big hand from the sky" to operate the turnouts; far easier and much more reliable.
Sadly, I still have 8 turnouts way out of reach, and need to use the 74490/1 mechs...
When my first lot of 74490's failed, I sent them back to Germany, and M replaced them; but when the next lot failed (including some of their replacements), I never bothered as the postage costs are quite horrendous from South Africa....I did, however, write to M, asking what they are doing to curb such a such a high failure rate of 74491 mechs, but never received a reply...(Like Janne, I also received a broken 74491 from M)...
Has someone used any other brand of mechanism that will work in C track with more success...?...
Joe
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline efel  
#7 Posted : 18 June 2013 20:41:05(UTC)
efel

France   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
If after a year or so everything is still working then I will begin to install catenary and do the scenery work...

Hi,
I'm sorry to tell you that I had that problem with 74490 after 2 and 3 years. (I don't have 74491, but it seems the problem is also there).
I would suggest you to short all the micro switches now.
Never read any report of electrical problems after that.
Can't understand why M continues to sell those *****!
Fred

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by efel
Offline Hoffmann  
#8 Posted : 18 June 2013 22:35:36(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hi all,

It seems Marklin is not able ( or willing ) to solve this ongoing Problems with the 74490/91 which is a real shame ( and frustrating ) for the C-Track users.

It seems that the Turnout Motors for K-track # 7549 do not have this problem. Can someone explain the difference.

Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline Janne75  
#9 Posted : 19 June 2013 10:28:40(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Thanks from all replys,

If I short micro switches is it possible to see my turnouts position (straight or side track) from CS2? This is very important for me. I read that if micro switches are shorted it is not possible to see turnouts positions anymore.

I really hope that Märklin will make a 100 % working turnout motor version. It is too late to make a layout with openings below turnouts. It would be the best solution so far and worth doing if someone is building a new layout. As this is not possible for me anymore I will make sure that it will be always possible to lift tracks up without breaking out the scenery.

If these 74490/74491 break down even after 2-3 years use, then this just shows that these products are really unreliable. Are all really big layouts done so that these parts can be changed below? If not then it must be really frustrating when they have to be replaced. ThumbDown

It is odd that Märklin can't or don't want to fix this well known issue. People buy expensive CS2's, turnouts with digital decoders and turnout motors to control their expensive trains in their layouts. Then these relatively cheap turnout motors fail and some people have to tear their nice layouts apart to be able to change these 10-15 euro turnout motors... Sad . If I could be 100 % sure that turnout motors would work forever I could pay more, say 20-30 euro for each one of them.

Best regards,

Janne
Offline Janne75  
#10 Posted : 19 June 2013 10:30:11(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Double post deleted...
Offline jørnet  
#11 Posted : 19 June 2013 12:45:26(UTC)
jørnet

You are not alone!

I have endless problems with the motors. I have made holes under the turnouts, so that I can replace them from below.
If you short the switches, you can no longer read the position and I use the position to control signals and train-stops.
I consider to use servos instead in places where I am able to fit them in.

Jørgen
I just need space, money and time - That's all
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jørnet
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 19 June 2013 13:06:45(UTC)
H0

Hi!
If I short micro switches is it possible to see my turnouts position (straight or side track) from CS2? This is very important for me. I read that if micro switches are shorted it is not possible to see turnouts positions anymore.
The CS2 doesn't get any feedback from turnouts (yet?), so it only shows the position they should have, not the position they have. So for the CS2 it makes no difference whether the micro switches are there or not.

The micro switches are required for visual feedback in the control boxes (the type with built-in LEDs) or when using ESU SwitchPilot decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline efel  
#13 Posted : 19 June 2013 13:21:05(UTC)
efel

France   

In fact, as the microswitches are SPDT, it's possible to use the 2d throw to check the turnout position. BUT that requires some dexterity (PCB to be lightly modified), and 2 more wires. I have not tested myself.
BTW, how can you see the real position of the points with the CS2? (I don't have a CS2).
There is also a special circuit that can do the job (from TAMS if I remember well).
So, nothing sraightforward, but it's worth having a look.
Fred
Offline Drongo  
#14 Posted : 19 June 2013 13:30:55(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Views messages in topic : 1,224
Hi all,

I had my first 74491 failure today. Cursing Cursing Cursing It was installed about 3 months ago and the track was glued down and scenery placed around the track etc. Cursing Cursing Cursing All this had to be ripped up and I installed a new 74491. These motors are just plain S@@* - Marklin should be ashamed of selling such a poor product. I have the problem of living on the other side of the world from Germany with the most expensive postal service in the world, so none of them will be sent back - all I can do is wait until I win the lottery and fly to Germany and return them in person.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo
#15 Posted : 19 June 2013 13:54:37(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: efel Go to Quoted Post

In fact, as the microswitches are SPDT, it's possible to use the 2d throw to check the turnout position. BUT that requires some dexterity (PCB to be lightly modified), and 2 more wires. I have not tested myself.
BTW, how can you see the real position of the points with the CS2? (I don't have a CS2).
There is also a special circuit that can do the job (from TAMS if I remember well).
So, nothing sraightforward, but it's worth having a look.
Fred

1)You'll be playing lottery with your time because if the microswitch has one of the contacts already damaged the opposite end has had the same amount of use. While it might work, it might not or it might fail soon after doing all the alterations Lets not even consider that you have fixed the scenery again. Is it worth your time?

2)I don't have the CS2 but it is probably the same as the Ecos. If the turnout is in the correct position the grphic appears normal. If it is not in the position it should be you'll get an X next to it. You also get the X while it is changing position, It is a very useful feature particularly for the turnouts that are out of sight.

#16 Posted : 19 June 2013 13:56:45(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I had my first 74491 failure today. Cursing Cursing Cursing It was installed about 3 months ago and the track was glued down and scenery placed around the track etc. Cursing Cursing Cursing All this had to be ripped up and I installed a new 74491. These motors are just plain S@@* - Marklin should be ashamed of selling such a poor product. I have the problem of living on the other side of the world from Germany with the most expensive postal service in the world, so none of them will be sent back - all I can do is wait until I win the lottery and fly to Germany and return them in person.

Regards
Greg

I suggest you make a hole on the board right under where the motor area is going to be to replace them from underneath. Alternatively try using another brand, Viesmann slow motion motor look good too.
Offline Janne75  
#17 Posted : 19 June 2013 14:02:32(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Greg,

That was not a surprise for me that the "improved" 74491's will fail aswell... and it is very sad and frustrating when you have replaced so many of 74490's with these 74491's and installed them in ready scenery Sad .

Tom and Fred,

CS2 can not see the real position of the turnouts. Only the position that turnouts should have. There is no feedback function. Thanks Tom about information. So I should be able to short the micro switches and after that the problems are gone? If it is like this I will do it to all of my turnouts. Then no more failing turnout motors, right? Wink What exactly causes these failures then? Could someone give more precise information about these faults? My dealer told me that there is only this one thing that fails in turnout motors and otherwise they are very reliable. RollEyes

Cheers,

Janne
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#18 Posted : 19 June 2013 15:06:36(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Regards
Greg

It is SO frustrating Greg!!...We also suffer with expensive postal service in South Africa, so it's useless trying to send them all back - but I will now open up all my dud 74491's and try my hand at shorting out the switches...OR its the option of replacing with Viessmann 7445....but its 3 x the price of a 74991, but I do love the "slow motion"...but it sounds very noisy on the vids I have seen posted on the Forum.
Has anyone had reliability issues with them??...3 x 74491 vs 1 x Viessmann: if the Viessmann lasts 3 times longer it may just be worthwile!! Confused
Joe
Offline efel  
#19 Posted : 19 June 2013 15:18:31(UTC)
efel

France   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post

1)You'll be playing lottery with your time because if the microswitch has one of the contacts already damaged the opposite end has had the same amount of use.

Not at all.
Only one "pair" of contacts is damaged. No current ever flow in the other "pair" . I suggested to use that "new" pair. For the current needed for the feedback is low, no spark will damage it.
May be you could have a look at the cherry site to better understand how their microswitches are built.
Fred

Offline efel  
#20 Posted : 19 June 2013 15:25:40(UTC)
efel

France   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
its the option of replacing with Viessmann 7445....but its 3 x the price of a 74991, but I do love the "slow motion"...but

The Viessmann 4554 has an integrated decoder. So, you should compare with the price of 74491+decoder.
Fred

Offline Joseph Meiring  
#21 Posted : 19 June 2013 15:34:33(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
its the option of replacing with Viessmann 7445....but its 3 x the price of a 74991, but I do love the "slow motion"...but

The Viessmann 4554 has an integrated decoder. So, you should compare with the price of 74491+decoder.
Fred

Thanks Fred - didn't realise that!...so then its about even stevens methinks!!!...If the Viessmann is utterly reliable, I will change over...have had quite enough of the frustrations of having to regularly lift track and scenery...
thanks, Joe
Offline Danlake  
#22 Posted : 19 June 2013 18:55:02(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
How are you switching the turnouts – with digital power or via a separate dedicated transformer?

During the discussion about 74490 some users said a spark was indeed required to clean the contacts and that meant enough needed to be supplied.

See old discussion in this thread:

https://www.marklin-user...rnout-motor-problem.aspx

So it would be interesting to make a comparison between failing 74491 and type of switching power used?

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#23 Posted : 19 June 2013 19:56:01(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
How are you switching the turnouts – with digital power or via a separate dedicated transformer?

During the discussion about 74490 some users said a spark was indeed required to clean the contacts and that meant enough needed to be supplied.

So it would be interesting to make a comparison between failing 74491 and type of switching power used?

Brgds - Lasse

hi Lasse - I use MS2, some with`decoders (74460), and some thru K83's...no diff, both troublesome...wondering if using control boxes 72720 would be "better"?
Joe
Offline Hoffmann  
#24 Posted : 20 June 2013 02:33:21(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hi all,

Since I know that the Marklin Turnout motors ( 74490/91 ) are prone to failure I use the Capacitor discharge Modul WP-2 from www.modellbahnwerkstatt.info/

and so far had no problems. This Item makes the Turnout Motor work much better.

I believe the real Problem why the Micro switches are failing is to much play in the plunger ( the moving Iron bar ) going through the Coil and also that the coil is not

strong enough to fire the Plunger a 100% to end position.

MARKLIN ENGINEER'S PLEASE TAKE NOTES USE A ROUND COIL AND PLUNGER AND THE PROBLEM WOULD BE SOLVED THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline clapcott  
#25 Posted : 20 June 2013 05:32:11(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Maybe now is the time to bring the 60821 into the discussion. (2013NI for 4Q delivery)

While I still want to know exactly what it is and does and HOW it does it - the NewItems blurp makes reference to ...

- ... It is for using turnout mechanisms with motors with an end shut off feature ....
?? is this referring to the 74490/1/2 C-Track motor, the K-track motors ........ or something else ??
- .... you can program the set speed as well as a slow approach to the end position ....
?? WHAT ?? - does this mean removing the spring and forgoing the "click-clack" of the existing detention mechanism ??

- Is this signalling a newer or replacement turnout mechanism ? If so will they learn from past mistakes ?? or are they giving up on the onld design all together ??
- How can you justify an additional 16euros on top of the basic controlling hardware ? On face value an assumption might be made that a 60831 is just an updated 60830 (with DCC) but the fineprint implies you need another 4x60821 if you actually want to use the new box for (4) turnouts!
Peter
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 20 June 2013 07:47:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
- ... It is for using turnout mechanisms with motors with an end shut off feature ....
?? is this referring to the 74490/1/2 C-Track motor, the K-track motors ........ or something else??
They are referring to something else. I don't know if they will also offer suitable motors and conversion sets.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline arconell  
#27 Posted : 20 June 2013 10:00:01(UTC)
arconell

Originally Posted by: Hoffmann Go to Quoted Post

Hi all,

Since I know that the Marklin Turnout motors ( 74490/91 ) are prone to failure I use the Capacitor discharge Modul WP-2 from www.modellbahnwerkstatt.info/

and so far had no problems. This Item makes the Turnout Motor work much better.

I believe the real Problem why the Micro switches are failing is to much play in the plunger ( the moving Iron bar ) going through the Coil and also that the coil is not

strong enough to fire the Plunger a 100% to end position.

MARKLIN ENGINEER'S PLEASE TAKE NOTES USE A ROUND COIL AND PLUNGER AND THE PROBLEM WOULD BE SOLVED THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

Martin

The WP2 is essentially a full wave rectifier, giving a DC pulse to switch the turnout. As mentioned earlier ( https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst14424_74490-turnout-motor-problem.aspx ) this works better in the long run. When using digital power, the turnouts see a pulsed digital current cut in half.

One of the problems for Märklin still is that the turnout motors have to be compatible with analog power, switching with regular AC directly out of a transformer and also with digital power, which is a completely different kind of switching power/current. When using analog, the power to the turnout motor remains on so long as you keep the switchboard button depressed. That is why these micro switches are needed. The WP2, in analog as well as digital switch mode, always produces a short DC pulse each time you switch the turnout, the pulse length dependent on the coil resistance.

The 74491 uses a varistor in an attempt to limit the voltage across the opening microswitch contacts thus suppressing sparks. We now indeed know that that is not really the solution either....

Regards, Robert
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by arconell
Offline Danlake  
#28 Posted : 20 June 2013 10:14:43(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   

Brgds - Lasse

hi Lasse - I use MS2, some with`decoders (74460), and some thru K83's...no diff, both troublesome...wondering if using control boxes 72720 would be "better"?
Joe

Hi Joe,

I use a separate 16VAC transformer to switch the turnout via Viessmann 5211 (so no digital power).

I only use 74491.

So far all my turnouts are working fine, but they are also relatively new...

You could always try and see if you get better result with a seperate transformer?

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline efel  
#29 Posted : 20 June 2013 14:34:05(UTC)
efel

France   
Originally Posted by: arconell Go to Quoted Post

The WP2 is essentially a full wave rectifier, giving a DC pulse to switch the turnout. As mentioned earlier ( https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst14424_74490-turnout-motor-problem.aspx ) this works better in the long run.

The WP2 is usefull when the point motor does not have end-switches, and when the control voltage is permanent, instead of pulsed. The WP2 is then necessary for not burning the coil. On the other hand, it gives a "DC" pulse, which is not as good (reliability point of view) as a time-limited AC signal, like the one delivered by a push button sending a AC (50 / 60 Hz) signal (also called 'analog" turnout switching). There are, in fact, less end-switches reliability problems reported on forums when using "analog" switching. (that does not mean NO problem).

When using digital power, the turnouts see a pulsed digital current cut in half.

No. When using a k83 for instance, the included 220uF capacitor filter, after the rectifier diode, is efficient enough for filtering the -roughly- 10 kHz digital signal, and the turnouts also see a "DC" pulse (let's rather call it a "monodirectional" pulse).

The 74491 uses a varistor in an attempt to limit the voltage across the opening microswitch contacts thus suppressing sparks.

Could you give the characteristics of that varistor? Up to now, i read on forums that it was a capacitor (but, I think, nobody had made a real check)

Fred

Offline efel  
#30 Posted : 20 June 2013 14:43:09(UTC)
efel

France   

Hi Joe,
I use a separate 16VAC transformer to switch the turnout via Viessmann 5211 (so no digital power).

Unfortunately, the 5211 rectifies and filters also the AC 50 / 60Hz , and the pulse sent to the point motor is "DC". It's not as good as "AC" pulse, but in both cases, reliability problems have been reported.

Fred

Offline arconell  
#31 Posted : 20 June 2013 18:29:23(UTC)
arconell

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately, the 5211 rectifies and filters also the AC 50 / 60Hz , and the pulse sent to the point motor is "DC". It's not as good as "AC" pulse, but in both cases, reliability problems have been reported.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Please take a look at the 74490/1 internals. You will find 2 single wound relay coils and an armature with a solid metal insert. Now please read a textbook on relays and you will find that this is typical DC relay architecture, not AC. Therefore it is better to use it on DC instead of AC, a short DC pulse is all that it needs.

On digital signal rectification: digital is a nominal 30V (+15 -15V) signal, pulsed with square/rectangular wave form. Put it thru a diode and only +15 or -15V remains. Put that (ripple is still 15V amplitude!) thru an elco and only some 8V or maybe less remains. Highly ineffective.

Regards, Robert

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by arconell
Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 20 June 2013 18:48:21(UTC)
H0

On digital signal rectification: digital is a nominal 30V (+15 -15V) signal
What is "nominal digital"?
Märklin print "22 V" onto every current loco box.
With 16 V AC you get about +22V/-22V.
With 19 V DC (CS2) you should get 17 V or more (no bridge rectifier used inside the CS2).

With MS2 and 18 V DC, passed through a bridge rectifier, you may get around 15 or 16 V.

I don't think that a capacitor will reduce this voltage by half. Even without capacitor you'd get more than 50% when MM protocol is used.

MS2 and CS2 use H bridges, so your equation "30V (+15 -15V)" make no sense for them.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline arconell  
#33 Posted : 20 June 2013 21:40:20(UTC)
arconell

Hi Tom,

Putting a sinusoidal AC of, say, 12V through a bridge rectifier the theoretically resulting DC is 20,8V (i.e without losses through the diode PN boundaries). Sinusoidal 12V AC is the effective voltage or RMS value. The voltage amplitude therefore is 20,8V or +10,4 -10,4V. A digital voltage where the wave form is rectangular cannot be treated this way, the voltage is often expressed as amplitude or peak voltage, i.e. the max. between the low and the high peaks are used to give the voltage value. But not always.

Now, using a regular multimeter to reliably measure digital voltages is therefore not possible, in DC mode the reading will vary, sometimes strongly, depending on the frequency and wave form in relation to the sampling rate of the multimeter whereas in AC mode it will return a "fictitious" RMS value based on the false assumption that it is measuring a sinusoidal AC voltage.

Frankly, I don't know what type of value the CS2 displays, be it peak voltage, "fictitious" RMS or some other value. In the digital world the only consensus is to lay down what the voltage measurement method is to make sure we and others know what we are taking about. At least so long as that is of any importance. Stated otherwise: there are several conventions for the measurement and publication of digital voltage values and unless the convention used is indicated, values cannot be compared.

Now, putting such a digital signal through a single diode rectifier which is what happens in MM turnout decoders, the peak to peak voltage is cut in half. No matter whether that voltage is expressed as 30V or +15 -15V. Or +11 -11V for a 22V amplitude, etc. A smoothing capacitor is normally used in any Graetz circuit to smooth out the ripple that comes out of the full bridge rectifier. Using a capacitor to smooth out the + or - 15V (or 11V) "ripple" after single diode rectification of the digital voltage, the loss will depend on the resulting waveform after the diode, i.e. whether the high part is longer or shorter than the low (0V) part of the signal, independent of frequency. But it will be quite considerable.

As for H bridges, they don't enter into the equation. The turnout decoder or better its output diode sees a peak to peak voltage and simply cuts it in half as every self-respecting diode should.

Regards, Robert

Regards, Robert

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by arconell
Offline H0  
#34 Posted : 20 June 2013 21:58:41(UTC)
H0

Or +11 -11V for a 22V amplitude, etc.
Well - 16 V AC gives 46 V inside the CU 6021 (+23 V/-23 V) and 44 V track voltage (+22 V / - 22 V).
With symmetrical DCC, a diode will reduce this to 11 V effective voltage. A capacitor will fill the gaps and should lift the effective voltage to 16 or more volts.
With MM, asymmetrical by nature, the voltage without capacitor should be around 15 V - even more with capacitor.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline arconell  
#35 Posted : 20 June 2013 22:43:05(UTC)
arconell

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Well - 16 V AC gives 46 V inside the CU 6021 (+23 V/-23 V) and 44 V track voltage (+22 V / - 22 V).
With symmetrical DCC, a diode will reduce this to 11 V effective voltage. A capacitor will fill the gaps and should lift the effective voltage to 16 or more volts.
With MM, asymmetrical by nature, the voltage without capacitor should be around 15 V - even more with capacitor.

Hi Tom,

I dearly wished you were right but capacitors don't rise voltages. If they really do please tell RWE, Eon and all the others, Merkel included, immediately, power prices could drop and I can finally afford running crocodile consists on my layout!

Regards, Robert
Offline H0  
#36 Posted : 20 June 2013 23:18:19(UTC)
H0

I dearly wished you were right but capacitors don't rise voltages.
They don't create energy, but they store energy and they do raise the effective voltage.
Run sine wave 16 V AC through a bridge rectifier and effective voltage is still 16 V (neglecting the voltage loss of the diodes). Add a capacitor and you get 22 V effective voltage. Or use two diodes and two capacitors to get 44 V effective voltage with a Delon circuit like the CU 6021 uses internally.
No need to explain that to an expert.

arconell wrote:
Put that (ripple is still 15V amplitude!) thru an elco and only some 8V or maybe less remains.
Capacitors don't kill voltage like that either. The voltage is not put through a capacitor, instead it is buffered in the capacitor to get an effective voltage near 15 V (to stick to your example).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
#37 Posted : 21 June 2013 00:26:58(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   

Hi Tom,

I dearly wished you were right but capacitors don't rise voltages. If they really do please tell RWE, Eon and all the others, Merkel included, immediately, power prices could drop and I can finally afford running crocodile consists on my layout!

Regards, Robert

Power is NOT equal to voltage.
H0
Offline arconell  
#38 Posted : 21 June 2013 00:54:08(UTC)
arconell

I dearly wished you were right but capacitors don't rise voltages.
They don't create energy, but they store energy and they do raise the effective voltage.
Run sine wave 16 V AC through a bridge rectifier and effective voltage is still 16 V (neglecting the voltage loss of the diodes). Add a capacitor and you get 22 V effective voltage. Or use two diodes and two capacitors to get 44 V effective voltage with a Delon circuit like the CU 6021 uses internally.
No need to explain that to an expert.

arconell wrote:
Put that (ripple is still 15V amplitude!) thru an elco and only some 8V or maybe less remains.
Capacitors don't kill voltage like that either. The voltage is not put through a capacitor, instead it is buffered in the capacitor to get an effective voltage near 15 V (to stick to your example).

Dear Tom,

16V AC (RMS) thru a bridge rectifier gives 22,6V peak = 22,6V DC. Since it is now DC, an effective RMS voltage can no longer be assigned to the rectifier output. And after passing this thru a cap it will still be 22,6V peak but with less of a ripple. All that without taking losses into account.

With a rectangular wave form as in digital that equation doesn't apply either since there is no RMS voltage. What comes out behind the diode is still a digital signal, either the top half or the bottom half of it. Here also, peak voltage doesn't change when putting it thru a cap. Except that that peak voltage isn't there all the time, in between peaks it is 0V. In order to know how much power that voltage can produce in a load you have to integrate the voltage present over the time that it is available.

All voltage doublers like Delon or others only play the old trick of putting the reference 0V in the middle and using both + and - peak values from an AC source added up. So they don't really double the voltage, they just take the 2 opposites already present in AC and add them up by pulling out the middle.

What you should remember is that
1) a voltage is always a relative value, it exists only between 2 points, never at one point only.
2) the voltage definition used and therefore the resulting numbers depend on the type of waveform, they are not interchangeable.

By the way, I am not an expert in anything, because with whatever I may know of this or any subject I also know that there is always so much more that I don't know.

Regards, Robert

Offline clapcott  
#39 Posted : 21 June 2013 02:54:54(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
?? is this referring to the 74490/1/2 C-Track motor, the K-track motors ........ or something else??
They are referring to something else. I don't know if they will also offer suitable motors and conversion sets.
Explain please.

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#40 Posted : 21 June 2013 03:22:25(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Hi guys, I am concerned that this thread is talking at cross purposes, is, at times, blinked and does not have comprehensive perspective of all the interacting issues.

All I will point out is that there are multiple issues (with these products) and SOME solutions that fix one problem will/can make another symptom worse

Some of the DIFFERENT issues that I have observed
- micro-switch not working
- micro-switch working too well
- TOO Much power (causing bounce back of armature)
- TOO Much physical load (bind in turnout mechanism - which is different for (say) a single turnout v the double switch)
- poor design of armature/casing causing a bind/snag
- stiff micro-switch affecting a detent
- incorrect seating/alignment of motor or turnout mechanism
- electrical short

If, when posting a possible solution, could I ask that you identify exactly which symptom you are addressing and post caveats about its possibly negative affect when used in a different situation.
Peter
Offline river6109  
#41 Posted : 21 June 2013 04:19:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
motors not working properly:
I've found

a.) the circuit board was faulty
b.) the micro switch no longer made contact. (when installing these micro switches at the factory, they sometimes didn't align the switches properly and secondly by soldering them onto the circuit board if you apply too much heat the switch loses its functionality, the same switches are used for the c-track switching tracks and found the same problem whereas the lever doesn't go back to its neutral position. on both items I've exchanged the switch and repaired the circuit board

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline efel  
#42 Posted : 21 June 2013 06:57:54(UTC)
efel

France   
arconell wrote:

On digital signal rectification: digital is a nominal 30V (+15 -15V) signal, pulsed with square/rectangular wave form. Put it thru a diode and only +15 or -15V remains. Put that (ripple is still 15V amplitude!) thru an elco and only some 8V or maybe less remains. Highly ineffective.

No. Neglecting the drop voltage of the diode, you will get 15V DC after the diode+capacitor circuit. No ripple if there is no load. It's basic electronic.
arconell wrote:

Sinusoidal 12V AC is the effective voltage or RMS value. The voltage amplitude therefore is 20,8V or +10,4 -10,4V.

The amplitude of a sinusoïdal voltage is 1.41 * rms value. The amplitude of a 12V rms sinusoïdal voltage is then 16.9V. It's also its peak value The peak-to-peak value is 33.8V. That is quite basic electricity.

....................And so on...There are so many mistakes in your posts that I can't comment them all. Furthermore, I am not sure it's usefull if you don't have the basic knowledges in electronic. Sure you will find them on the web.

Fred

There is no use for being rude to other members, it is better to explain properly in a positive manner. /Webmaster

Edited by moderator 22 June 2013 23:03:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

H0Chook
Offline H0  
#43 Posted : 21 June 2013 08:22:26(UTC)
H0

16V AC (RMS) thru a bridge rectifier gives 22,6V peak = 22,6V DC. Since it is now DC, an effective RMS voltage can no longer be assigned to the rectifier output. And after passing this thru a cap it will still be 22,6V peak but with less of a ripple.
Even my HiFi has an RMS output wattage - and what you hear is neither AC nor DC.
RMS voltage can be calculated for any wave form. Good true RMS meters handle frequencies of 100 kHz and more. This is needed to get the effective voltage of DC with a ripple voltage.
Pass 16 V AC through a bridge rectifier and the effective voltage is still 16 V (still neglecting the loss) and not 22.6 V. The peak voltage is 22.6 V (100 or 120 times a second), but voltage will also be 0 V (100 or 120 times a second), thus the effective voltage has to be lower than the peak voltage because the current is not flowing all the time.
Rectifiers normally don't pass the voltage through a "cap" (you cannot pass DC through a capacitor, it allows only AC to pass), they charge a capacitor to reduce the ripple and increase the effective voltage.

By the way, I am not an expert in anything, because with whatever I may know of this or any subject I also know that there is always so much more that I don't know.
No need to mention the obvious ...
At this point I'll stop discussing the electronics 101 as it is somewhat off topic.

Basic electric principles is something that should be explained if it can help the understanding of how things work.
For RMS, it is dependent on the waveform of pulses... The digital signals on the track are not truly measurable since
the square wave signal vary the pulse length and polarity. The MM protocol is a bit biased towards negative polarity
for longer pulses so true RMS is virtually impossible to measure correctly. /Webmaster
For RMS with fixed symmetrical waveforms -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square

Edited by moderator 22 June 2013 23:25:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#44 Posted : 21 June 2013 08:36:05(UTC)
H0

Explain please.
The description fits tortoise or servo motors.
When Märklin offer decoders for tortoise motors, then I also expect tortoise motors and turnout conversion kits from them.
But I'm only guessing, I don't have any insider information.

I already can buy ESU SwitchPilot decoders and tortoise motors, but I don't know how to get them going with C track turnouts. I could buy Viessmann motors as they come with instructions for Märklin tracks, too.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#45 Posted : 22 June 2013 18:15:40(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
If after a year or so everything is still working then I will begin to install catenary and do the scenery work...

Hi,
I'm sorry to tell you that I had that problem with 74490 after 2 and 3 years. (I don't have 74491, but it seems the problem is also there).
I would suggest you to short all the micro switches now.
Never read any report of electrical problems after that.
Can't understand why M continues to sell those *****!
Fred

Hello,

I have now shorted all my turnout motor micro switches. There is 18 of them in use at my layout's 17 turnouts (one is a three way turnout that has two of them). I also did the same micro switch short thing for my four spare turnout motors. So I did this also to my new 74491 ones and I don't have to return the "broken" one to my dealer. Every one of these 22 turnout motors works now! ThumpUp

While I was soldering these I noticed some interesting things. There is turnout motor versions and sometimes also production date/year on a sticker (clear one or white one) outside of turnout motor. Older ones don't have any sticker and version or manufacturing date info outside. Inside there is always turnout motor version and manufacturing month/year of the electronics. All my V1.4 are made 04/2010. I have only two older version V1.2 turnout motors (74490) from 1999. Then some of my turnout motors are version V1.3 from year 2006 (also 74490). Most of them are newest version V1.4 and from years 2010-2013 (including both 74490 and 74491 which are 100% same inside in version V1.4!!! Scared ).

So Märklin has changed already the turnout motors inside to the newest V1.4 version before they re-numbered their product to 74491 from 74490! Version V1.3 has not that small electric component? between micro switch terminals and all version V1.4 turnout motors 74490 and 74491 has it. I took carefully that electric component away with my soldering iron and after that shorted the terminals. Actually this micro switch terminal shorting is easier with versions V1.2 and V1.3 as it is only required to short the micro switch terminals with soldering. As these older versions has three terminal micro switches it is easy to solder two shorter "solderings" between the terminals. When shorting these newer V1.4 micro switch terminals first it is needed to take away carefully that very small electric component between the terminals. Give some heat with the soldering iron to both sides, but not too much as otherwise those micro switches can get loose and move accidentally. When that small component is removed succesfully then a longer "soldering" is needed between the two micro switch terminals as this newer version V1.4 has only two terminals.

I was very surprised to see that also the newer 74490 has the same V1.4 version, which is identic inside that the "new and improved" 74491... I'm glad that all of them are now fixed and I will inform immediately to this forum if some of these fixed (shorted) ones will still fail. I really hope that now they will work for many, many reliable years RollEyes .

I recommend to everybody to do this fix (short the micro switch terminals) if you use the turnout motors at digital layout with CS or MS controller (not with any control boxes). You have to be careful and have basic soldering skills. That YouTube video shows what should be done, but it is for the older versions. For version V1.4 see above. There is no real benefit to upgrade them to 74491 version (I think) as they look 100% identic inside as 74490 version V1.4 that has been in sale for years.

Cheers,

Janne
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline efel  
#46 Posted : 22 June 2013 20:52:52(UTC)
efel

France   
Thank you for your feedback.
I was not aware that the 74491 had a spst microswitch instead of a spdt.
I've just opened one of my spare 74490 whose outside sticker was 08/2010. Unfortunately, it was a V1.3 version from 04/06!!
Then it's a old 74490, without the extra component across the switch, and, then,I cannot check if that component is a capacitor or a varistor!

Fred
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by efel
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#47 Posted : 12 July 2013 14:02:02(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks Janne! You were brave to even "fix" the new ones!!
John VR very kindly took 2 of my "only working one way" 74991's and did the shorting out of the switches - and hey presto, they are both working now - both ways, all the time...so now, (don't tell John), but I have another 8 or so of 74490/74491's, and even a box of five new 74491's for him to do!!
Thanks John...:) see U this weekend?!?
Joe
Offline Janne75  
#48 Posted : 12 July 2013 15:00:24(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Thanks Janne! You were brave to even "fix" the new ones!!
John VR very kindly took 2 of my "only working one way" 74991's and did the shorting out of the switches - and hey presto, they are both working now - both ways, all the time...so now, (don't tell John), but I have another 8 or so of 74490/74491's, and even a box of five new 74491's for him to do!!
Thanks John...:) see U this weekend?!?
Joe

Hi Joe,

I'm glad that you got also your shorted ones to work as they should! Smile I have all of mine fixed by shorting the micro switches. I have done a little ballasting work to one part of my layout and really hope that those problems are left behind as it is not so easy anymore to lift those tracks. I used Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement though so it is still possible if in need for that later. Today I will dilute some white PVA glue with water 50/50 ratio and a few drops of liquid soap. I don't have WS Scenic Cement at home and want to test for the first time diluted PVA. Not near tracks, only some other scenery.

Regards,

Janne
Offline arcanjo  
#49 Posted : 12 July 2013 17:28:51(UTC)
arcanjo

Portugal   
Hi all!

Well, I had huge problems with my turnout motors 74490. Some I have replaced by the newer version, to find that after a while they basically do the same thing, and started to fail. My solution to the problem was to soak (yes you read right) them with contact cleaner (from Philips), let them rest for a while and after that I have used an air compressor to remove the excess of the contact cleaner. To this day they have not failed anymore, massive improvement. Smile

Regards!

Miguel
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by arcanjo
Offline sikardon  
#50 Posted : 13 July 2013 17:54:46(UTC)
sikardon

Indonesia   
Hi All!

I also have this problem in the past. On my thread, Joe suggesting me to use CRC-226 BigGrin, and after one-time liberal spray on 74490, until today, they are working fine Blink. Hehe, if they malfunction again in the future, then I will do Janne's way.

cheers,
Sony
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sikardon