Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LMS800  
#1 Posted : 05 May 2012 08:58:47(UTC)
LMS800

Germany   
In 1938 Märklin came up with the overhead wire system.
“Through the combination of overhead wire and third rail, it is possible to operate two trains under fully independent control. In such a case one locomotive receive its power through the center rail while the other one picks up power through the panthographs from the overhead wire ….” (quotation from Märklin catalog)
In order to introduce this new system to the public, Märklin suggested the layout 800/216 to the dealers.

UserPostedImage

I had the space – so I started my third project – layout 800/216 !

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

To improve the “playing options”, I added the turntable 410 H to the layout.
Have a look at HS 700, HR 700, TWE 700 and HR 800 .1

“Through the combination of overhead wire and third rail, it is possible to operate two trains under fully independent control. In such a case one locomotive receive its power through the center rail while the other one picks up power through the panthographs from the overhead wire ….” (quotation from Märklin catalog)
In order to introduce this new system to the public, Märklin suggested the layout 800/216 to the dealers.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards Wolf

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by LMS800
Offline igf2  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2012 09:30:59(UTC)
igf2

Hello Wolf

Thanks for this wonderful new layout. In which catalog or document did you find the "Bild 8.7" ?

Thanks for your answer.

MfG

Jean-Pierre
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#3 Posted : 05 May 2012 10:07:22(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Hello Wolf,

With your large collection and all the years you had them for, you might be able to answer this. Have you had any of your engines -that remained perfect until the mid/late 1980's- developing zinc pest only in the last few decades? Or is it something that always started showing the problem in the 60/70?

Thank you!
Alex
Offline Ian555  
#4 Posted : 05 May 2012 10:13:31(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Wolf,

Thanks for showing your wonderful collection. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline hennabm  
#5 Posted : 05 May 2012 11:28:38(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Wolf

WOW - absolutely lovely.BigGrin

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline LMS800  
#6 Posted : 05 May 2012 16:55:22(UTC)
LMS800

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
Hello Wolf,

With your large collection and all the years you had them for, you might be able to answer this. Have you had any of your engines -that remained perfect until the mid/late 1980's- developing zinc pest only in the last few decades? Or is it something that always started showing the problem in the 60/70?

Thank you!
Alex

Hello Alex,
zinc pest were already known with Märklin gauge 00 items in the end of 1940 / early 1950...
I have only 3 locos of which I definitely know - no zinc pest !!!
In the early 1950 Märklin repaired locos - damaged by zinc pest - with spare parts of that time, eg with frame produced 1950 and not with a frame from 1938, is this repaired loco now original or not ? A very controversal discussion between German collectors!!!
I think of writing an article about this, I am new in this forum and I don't know whether this was discussed already...?
Best regards
Wolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LMS800
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#7 Posted : 09 May 2012 00:03:12(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: LMS800 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
Hello Wolf,

Thank you!
Alex

Hello Alex,
zinc pest were already known with Märklin gauge 00 items in the end of 1940 / early 1950...
I have only 3 locos of which I definitely know - no zinc pest !!!
In the early 1950 Märklin repaired locos - damaged by zinc pest - with spare parts of that time, eg with frame produced 1950 and not with a frame from 1938, is this repaired loco now original or not ? A very controversal discussion between German collectors!!!
I think of writing an article about this, I am new in this forum and I don't know whether this was discussed already...?
Best regards
Wolf

Hello Wolf

I had no idea the problem appeared as early as that. Neither about the replacement parts provided by Marklin creating this controversy about originality.

I am relatively new to this forum too but while the subject of zinc pest keeps resurfacing here regularly. However, I have not yet seen a complete historical explanation on when the problem started to appear after production, the reaction from buyers and the company and how it all evolved since the problem appeared.

The problem is very extensive and an important one that affected many companies not just Marklin. Even today you still see from time to time products that suffer from casting and alloy problems. I am sure if you are ever willing to to write what you know about it many people would be very grateful. Thank you!
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#8 Posted : 09 May 2012 00:40:25(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: igf2 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Wolf

Thanks for this wonderful new layout. In which catalog or document did you find the "Bild 8.7" ?

Thanks for your answer.

MfG

Jean-Pierre

Hello Jean-Pierre,

I believe it comes from the www.tinplatefan.ch website which is a very good resource compiled by some of the top Marklin collectors and researchers.

Best regards,

Paul