Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bengt Karlsson  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2012 21:23:48(UTC)
Bengt Karlsson

United States   
I received a Central Station 60215 last week. It was delivered with a 1.4 operating system so it must be a unit that was shipped before the official release. I have successfully coded in many engines and solenoids using the different features. The only thing that I could not make work was the memory feature. I can code memory sequences and fire them off from the Central Station without any problem. However, I want to trigger some of these series from a contact track via the S88. This has worked fine using my CS1 and I am not changing any of the operations. With the CS2 all kind of solenoids started changing stage whenever a contact track was passed. There didn't seem any reason to it.
Subsequently I upgraded the operating system, first to 1.6.4 and then to 2.0.1. That created some changes in my memory coding that I cleaned up. I am now at a point where I have the first 5 contact tracks (1-5) coded to change solenoid states. When any of the contact tracks is crossed, then all the solenoids associated with these 5 memory sequences are fired off! Is there a software error or am I doing anything wrong? The help feature is not very helpful.
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2012 21:31:29(UTC)
Webmaster

Welcome Bengt.

I have a 60215 CS2 updated to the latest sw, but I haven't tried it with s88's and routes yet, so I am of no help...

I am sure other members will be able to assist in this matter. The M logic with s88's vs routes is not the easiest thing to grasp, I haven't quite got it yet myself...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline GSRR  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2012 22:01:39(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Welcome to the forum Bengt.

What sw version is on the CS1, and is it connected as a slave to the CS2.

What booster do you have, 6017?

Are you using a common ground for track and s88, and what brand are the s88?

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline kbvrod  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2012 22:04:57(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Bengt , all,
I suggested this great forum because Bengt found no answer on the B&G. Huh If anyone could help him out it would be greatly appreciated.ThumpUp

Best,Dr Dirt
Offline Nielsenr  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2012 22:14:55(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
There is a 17th connector on the S88 module, probably with a symbol that looks like a "T". If you haven't done so, connect it to the grounded rail (i think??). Had a similar problem with a friend's CS2, I think a 60214. My 60213 doesn't need it but his did. Maybe having to with the galvanic isolation difference between CSs.

Good luck!!

Robert
Offline jeehring  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2012 00:32:26(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Welcome Bengt.

I have a 60215 CS2 updated to the latest sw, but I haven't tried it with s88's and routes yet, so I am of no help...

I am sure other members will be able to assist in this matter. The M logic with s88's vs routes is not the easiest thing to grasp, I haven't quite got it yet myself...

...that's life Laugh ...because we have to forget the old way, it's more difficult to move from a former system to another system than to start learning a new one for the first time....RollEyes Tongue Smile
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 20 March 2012 02:34:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Best to upgrade your CS2 to the latest software version, as I think there are bugs in earlier software versions with regards to S88's.

OK, I see you are at the latest version!
Offline Harvey  
#8 Posted : 20 March 2012 02:55:30(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I have 60214 and latest software. I initially struggled connecting the S88 and reeds. After experimentation I found that I should not connect anything to the upside down T. I used the normal ground. One mistake I made is programming the CS2. I would forget to assign the address on the memory screen. So, while I had all the wires connected correctly, nothing would happen. Now, no problems.

Something else to investigate.

Harvey
Offline Nielsenr  
#9 Posted : 20 March 2012 05:20:16(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Harvey,

I think I read somewhere that there were two versions of hardware in the 60214. You may have an early version. In any case, it wouldn't hurt for Bengt to try connecting the "T" connector and see if it solves his problem.

Robert
Offline clapcott  
#10 Posted : 20 March 2012 07:53:21(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bengt Karlsson Go to Quoted Post
..... When any of the contact tracks is crossed, then all the solenoids associated with these 5 memory sequences are fired off! ...

This symptom does correlate with a floating (aerial) or biased reference. Hence the references made by others to using the upside down tee.

I will throw in 2 other possibilities
1- that you damaged the s88 cable when you migrated from the CS1 to the CS2 (been there done that)
2- you plugged your layout feed directly from the CS1 to the CS2 without realizing that the Brown and Red are crossed over.

If your k83s are Marklin and still work it is unlikely to be option 2, otherwise the fact that the red (pulsing digital signal) is connected to the rail and not the stud will cause the s88 to go wild.

Peter
Offline Bengt Karlsson  
#11 Posted : 26 March 2012 17:39:54(UTC)
Bengt Karlsson

United States   
Hello,

I may have found the problem. I removed the cable between the S88 and the CS2 in order to check my connections. I then found that one of the six wires was broken by the connector. The cable is not very long and has always been stretched a bit so I guess I must have damaged it. I could try to reattach it at the connector but I think it would be better to get a new cable. I don't know if this is my problem but I have to assume so.

Thanks to everyone that has tried to help me with this. It has been frustrating.

Bengt
Offline LocoBob  
#12 Posted : 01 May 2012 21:31:02(UTC)
LocoBob

United States   
I have been playing with the S88 on a CS2.
Did you change the route mode from Manual (hand icon) to manual and auto (hand and engine icon)

With just the hand icon, you can only manually trigger the route.
With the hand and engine icon, you can trigger it manually from the CS2 or from a sensor/s88 event.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LocoBob
Offline Bengt Karlsson  
#13 Posted : 02 May 2012 12:30:25(UTC)
Bengt Karlsson

United States   
The problem is now solved for me and the combination is working fine. It was the connecting cable that had one of the wires broken.