Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline KingBuick  
#1 Posted : 02 March 2012 04:01:42(UTC)
KingBuick

Hi everyone. I set up my new layout with the 60215 CS2, and so far I can't register any of my mfx locos. I put them in each section on the track one at a time. Nothing happened. I calibrated and restarted the whole system multiple times. Nothing happened.

I checked the voltage and temperature of the track and CS2. It has been the same at 0 AMPS for the two main tracks and the temperature has stayed the same at 29 C.

Can you please help me fix this problem? Has anyone ever dealt with this before?

It'd be a shame to send the set back.

Cheers!

Tadzio.
Permanent C-Track Layout controlled with 60215 CS2 with version 1 software. Locos and rolling stock from Eras II-IV.
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/KingBuick/ .
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KingBuick
Twitter: https://twitter.com/King_Buick
Offline DV  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2012 04:31:22(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Tadzio,

simple explanation. You require a programming track.

On the back of your CS2 you will see two connections, one to the track where you run your trains and one to the program track.

Once you have the program track connected, place your mfx loco on the track and eventually it should register.

Remember the most important thing, if all else fails, read the instructions.......hopefully you did get an English version of the CS2 instructions.

If you don't have instructions, maybe someone on the forum can provide pictures of how you connect the programming track.BigGrin

Good luck
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline Nielsenr  
#3 Posted : 02 March 2012 05:43:17(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Make sure the wires from the connector on the CS to the track are oriented appropriately. You may have them reversed. It can be confusing. Looking at the CS from the front, the red wire is on the left side when connected. Under the track, the red connects to the pin marked "B".

As for the programming track, there have been cases of MFX locos not registering on the programming track. Dr Tom did some tests and those locos required that they be registered on the main track. I think the reason had something to do with how they were tested at the factory.

Good Luck!!

Robert
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2012 06:14:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post

No, that's nonsense! mfx locos should register just as well on the main track as they do on the programming track.

One thing to keep in mind is that the track connection cable for the CS2 is wired in reverse to what the cable for the CS1 is. Make sure you use the cable out of the starter set - it should have a black plug on it, rather than the green ones that came with the CS1.

Of course, you can use the green plugs / CS1 cables, as long as you remember to reverse the connections.

Robert's post above this one describes the correct connections. They are also listed in the CS2 manual.

And yes, I know what you are thinking! Whatever possessed Marklin to do that! The Good Lord only knows! OhMyGod
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2012 07:28:43(UTC)
H0

Yes, mfx locos should register on the main track as well as on the programming track.
And swapping red and brown should have no effect on mfx locos.

But IIRC you can force recognition of mfx locos only on the programming track.

Calibrating is for pencil and screen only and will not (should not) affect mfx recognition in any way.

Does the CS2 have software 2.0.1? Are all protocols enabled?
Are any locos running?
Is there power on the track (can be tested with e.g. a lighted coach)?
You can disable mfx and try the locos with MM protocol.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline KingBuick  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2012 16:06:32(UTC)
KingBuick

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, mfx locos should register on the main track as well as on the programming track.
And swapping red and brown should have no effect on mfx locos.

But IIRC you can force recognition of mfx locos only on the programming track.

Calibrating is for pencil and screen only and will not (should not) affect mfx recognition in any way.

Does the CS2 have software 2.0.1? Are all protocols enabled?
Are any locos running?
Is there power on the track (can be tested with e.g. a lighted coach)?
You can disable mfx and try the locos with MM protocol.

My CS2 is a 60215, but it's with version 1. something. I don't know if I can update the system because it's not hooked up to a WiFi router. Can I just update the system without one?

I don't know if all the protocols are enabled. I've only tried to test out my locomotives, but they won't register.

I haven't tested out a lighted car on the track yet. I'll do it tonight.

How can I disable mfx and try the locos with the MM protocol? Could I revert to DCC settings as well, or is that not allowed?

Cheers!

Tadzio.
Permanent C-Track Layout controlled with 60215 CS2 with version 1 software. Locos and rolling stock from Eras II-IV.
Offline KingBuick  
#7 Posted : 02 March 2012 16:09:18(UTC)
KingBuick

Tadzio,

On the back of your CS2 you will see two connections, one to the track where you run your trains and one to the program track.

Once you have the program track connected, place your mfx loco on the track and eventually it should register.

Remember the most important thing, if all else fails, read the instructions.......hopefully you did get an English version of the CS2 instructions.

If you don't have instructions, maybe someone on the forum can provide pictures of how you connect the programming track.BigGrin

Good luck

Do you mean programming track as in the feeder track? Because that's what I used with my CS1. It worked fine with that.

I will try this out tonight.

I do have instructions, but they're very confusing and badly written. They sort of detailed, but not really.

Cheers!

Tadzio.
Offline KingBuick  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2012 16:28:32(UTC)
KingBuick

Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post
Make sure the wires from the connector on the CS to the track are oriented appropriately. You may have them reversed. It can be confusing. Looking at the CS from the front, the red wire is on the left side when connected. Under the track, the red connects to the pin marked "B".

As for the programming track, there have been cases of MFX locos not registering on the programming track. Dr Tom did some tests and those locos required that they be registered on the main track. I think the reason had something to do with how they were tested at the factory.

Good Luck!!

Robert

Thank you. I'll try your method when I get home tonight. Can I reverse the red and brown cables, or should they stay the same as you say?

The main problem is connecting the track. My layout is much smaller than what the track plan depicts. I had to shorten it dramatically in order to make it fit on my layout.

Cheers!

Tadzio.
Offline KingBuick  
#9 Posted : 02 March 2012 16:30:54(UTC)
KingBuick

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

No, that's nonsense! mfx locos should register just as well on the main track as they do on the programming track.

One thing to keep in mind is that the track connection cable for the CS2 is wired in reverse to what the cable for the CS1 is. Make sure you use the cable out of the starter set - it should have a black plug on it, rather than the green ones that came with the CS1.

Of course, you can use the green plugs / CS1 cables, as long as you remember to reverse the connections.

Robert's post above this one describes the correct connections. They are also listed in the CS2 manual.

And yes, I know what you are thinking! Whatever possessed Marklin to do that! The Good Lord only knows! OhMyGod

None of my old CS1 wires can fit into the CS2. For example the main power cable. I tried it this morning and it does not fit into the CS2.

I'll try this again tonight.

Cheers!

Tadzio.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 02 March 2012 16:37:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: KingBuick Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if I can update the system because it's not hooked up to a WiFi router. Can I just update the system without one?
The CS2 doesn't support WiFi, so a WiFi router won't do any good.
A DSL router can be used to get the update directly from the Internet.
OTOH you can download the update and save it on a USB flash memory stick (root directory), stick that into the CS2 and install the update.

The track outputs of CS1 and CS2 use the same plugs (unless you used an Ugly Box™ with your CS1), but red and brown are swapped.
This only affects older MM decoders and should have no effect on mfx decoders.
Power wires won't fit (different plugs).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline KingBuick  
#11 Posted : 02 March 2012 16:55:26(UTC)
KingBuick

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: KingBuick Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if I can update the system because it's not hooked up to a WiFi router. Can I just update the system without one?
The CS2 doesn't support WiFi, so a WiFi router won't do any good.
A DSL router can be used to get the update directly from the Internet.
OTOH you can download the update and save it on a USB flash memory stick (root directory), stick that into the CS2 and install the update.

The track outputs of CS1 and CS2 use the same plugs (unless you used an Ugly Box™ with your CS1), but red and brown are swapped.
This only affects older MM decoders and should have no effect on mfx decoders.
Power wires won't fit (different plugs).

So do I put the red plug in the "B" and the brown in the "O"? Because that's what I've been doing, and my locos have not been registering. I can register my fx locos, and they work.

But the main thing for me is to register my mfx locos and the turnouts. I hope to do that by the end of the weekend.

Should I change the settings to DCC or let it stay the same on MM?

Cheers!

Tadzio.
Online rbw993  
#12 Posted : 02 March 2012 21:50:31(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Tadzio,
I could be wrong on this but I thought that once an mfx loco registered a bit is set in its decoder so that it doesn't re-register. You previously registered your mfx locos on your CS1, right?

I also thought there was a way to force registration but I don't remember how to do it. Anyone else?

Roger
Offline Webmaster  
#13 Posted : 02 March 2012 22:51:26(UTC)
Webmaster

The mfx loks will/should re-register on a CS2 even if they were registered on a CS1 earlier. The registration is maintained by the controller, not the decoder.

I have had no problems with CS2 (60215) regarding this, using the same loks I did with CS1.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 03 March 2012 03:33:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes Juhan is correct. I have loks that have registered fine both on my CS2 and Ecos.
Offline Nielsenr  
#15 Posted : 03 March 2012 04:02:44(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I'll add that sometimes I have applied and analog signal to an MFX loco and had it register after doing so.

Robert