Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline KingBuick  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2012 17:38:09(UTC)
KingBuick

Hi everyone. I'm having a bit of a conundrum.

No dealers have the CS2 in stock. All the dealers I've contacted have recommended me to buy the ECOS. I don't know what to do.

For those of you who have the ECOS, is it far better than the CS2 and my 60212?

For those of you who have the CS2, is it better than the ECOS and my 60212?

And my last question, should I just stay with my 60212, or should I get a new controller?

Cheers!

Tadzio.
Permanent C-Track Layout controlled with 60215 CS2 with version 1 software. Locos and rolling stock from Eras II-IV.
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/KingBuick/ .
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KingBuick
Twitter: https://twitter.com/King_Buick
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2012 18:24:33(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I have a CS1 reloaded (CS1 with the ECoS software). It is far better than a CS1 with software 2.0.4 and much faster.
IMHO it's better than a CS2 (at least for me).

Here's my review (incl. a CS1R/CS2 comparison at the end of the review):
https://www.marklin-user...te-59990---reloaded.aspx

Others will tell you a CS2 is better. Colour, high resolution screen. But when I use it I always miss some of the cool CS1R features.
It depends on YOU which one is better for YOU.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline usbeauty  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2012 18:41:39(UTC)
usbeauty

Tadzio,
It seems you already decided on the CS2. If you did the research, you should stay with your decision and order it.

I have the ECoS but have no experience with CS2 - I did research and and read reviews and bought it based on ESU's reputation for quality. I have not been disappointed.

Good luck,
Bruce

Modeling the Bruxelles - Nord to Knokke - Heist line on my layout, complete with pommes frites stand (frituur). (Epoch IV, digital and analog)
Offline Loadmaster  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2012 19:31:34(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
Tad,

I've been considering the CS2 & Ecos.
The delay is the CS2 according to M* is they need to be compatable with North American electronics and not interfier with our TVs, radios and other electronics.
You can also purchase the CS2 out of Germany since it plugs into your transformer which is already on the market.
What I like about the CS2 is that when you place any M* engine on the track, the system knows.
With Ecos you need to program the lok.
The CS1 was manufactured by ESU but M* is producing the CS2.
Now to confuse you, Viessmann has their "Commander" which is does the same at the other two.
So, what name would you like on your train controller, Marklin, ESU or Viessmann.
You might also want to check out the prices.
I even went to the ESU & Viessmann websites and read their litature, now I'm really confused.

Rob
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2012 19:38:58(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The way I see it, Marklin will always try to make their trains compatible with their own controllers. They will not feel compelled to make them also compatible with a third party controller. In theory you should get fewer problems running with Marklin.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline rbw993  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2012 19:54:36(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Tad,
I went from 6021 to the CS2 and like the interface alot. There were some issues with early 60213 CS2's but I have had no issues with my 60214.

Now if you really want confusion you could also consider Intellibox!!!!

Roger
Offline DigitalNZ  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2012 20:12:15(UTC)
DigitalNZ

New Zealand   
Hi Tadzio,

We've got both a CS2 and a CS1u and I have not the slightest hesitation in recommending that you upgrade to the CS2. Having the "layout" view and a bright colour tough screen are quite nice and handy features.

I believe that I read earlier that you are an apple fan (like me) and another great thing is being able to use your iOS devices to run the trains. I use Main Station on my iPad 2 and it has the familiar CS 2 style interface and you can adjust what controllers (ie Keyboard or Memory etc.) that are on screen. It also allows another person to drive something (upto 8 on the same screen on the iPad) without them touching your precious CS2 - perfect for friends and siblings to use.

I'm not sure what you want to do with your CS1. Provided you have had the Märklin update installed (you can tell this if there is a plug for a s88 decoder) you can connect it to a router like I do and use a CS2 as the master and use the CS1 and iOS thing as additional controllers (better than getting a MS2 on the wallet anyway). I had the CS1 on a desk on the other side of the office which I was using to make a building so I could keep the trains running without leaving my seat!!

Perhaps I should get a connect 6021 as well BigGrin . The 6021 seemed so impressive when we upgraded from an old blue transformer. (9 years ago now)

Regards,

Daniell
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2012 20:35:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Loadmaster Go to Quoted Post
What I like about the CS2 is that when you place any M* engine on the track, the system knows.
With Ecos you need to program the lok.
No, ECoS supports mfx and the loco registers automatically - like it does on a CS2.
ECoS is more comfortable when you put a non-Märklin loco on the track, especially if it's one with an ESU decoder (easier programming and maybe even automatic registration with Railcom).

Not sure what Viessmann Commander can do. No mfx yet, possibly no Railcom either. So this is a different league.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Piggy  
#9 Posted : 10 February 2012 20:45:37(UTC)
Piggy

Australia   
Hi Tadzio,

I very happy vith reloaded upgrade to the CS1, as described by Tom in the first reply. The CS2 is very nice, and the graphics much better, but I feel it a lot of money for something that does the same. With respect to Apple products, you should be able to run touchcab on your CS1, without any changes.
Regards
Kenneth
CS1 update - K & C tracks - German Era 3B & 4, with some Swiss and Austrian visitors. - My Layout
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#10 Posted : 10 February 2012 21:05:02(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
A couple of marklin decoders may have some issues when used with the ESU unit but it is only a minority. Plastic case seems to be more sturdy on the Marklin.

Good points of the ESU, with the latest update you'll get x8 shuttle trains with four stops on top of the two end stations and it can be used in a loop just to set up stops in stations whithout changing directions.

Connects to ESU detector that detects locos on track by detecting current consumption (light years more reliable than reed switches or contact tracks).

4 AMPS power output as opposed to 3.

Good support and plenty of other accessories not available in the marklin range.

I could come up with more but I'll summarize it by saying: I bought an ESU and i'll do it again. I am Marklin mad but when it comes to the electronic parts I am happy to consider other options.
Offline jvuye  
#11 Posted : 10 February 2012 21:14:34(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi!
Difficult decision it was for me too.

But, I have finally decided for the ECos 2.

There is no "right or "wrong" here just a set of criteria but here are the reasons that influenced my choice:

1° more "universal" than the CS2, and it has a great additional feature : Railcom! which automatically recognize Railcom equipped locos,(like MfX but much faster) *and* accessory decoders. I have a very diverse fleet: everything works!

I love the automatic detection of locos Marklin, DCC, Selectix, MfX, you name it, you've got it!

2° on top of the S88 bus, it has the ECOSlink bus, which gives you access to a whole lot of great accessories, like the ECosdetector that not only detects occupancy, but can be wired to also read the name of the loco on that section (via Railcom)

4° 4 amp booster in HO, works very welle and no welding of wheels so far!

5° Cheaper (or at least "less expensive"BigGrin )

6° available

7° last but not least the information is "all there", in the same spot and "volunteered" by ESU (as opposed to Märklin where unfortunately, it's often a detective's "extraction" job to piece information together)

I am also monitoring closely the traffic on the ESU forum,. Although ESU personel doesn't intervene directly very often (long periods of silence on recognized problems like e.g.a former bug that was rendering one of the controllers inoperative after a long stand-by.
(The problemn has apparently been fixed in the meantime)

On the other hand ESU locos are apparently showing much more technical difficulties than Märklin productions.

To each his job!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 10 February 2012 21:34:16(UTC)
Goofy

Roco did presentation in Nurnberg messe a new digital system that is very interested!
Check at this first:
www.z21.eu
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline steventrain  
#13 Posted : 10 February 2012 21:39:09(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Roco did presentation in Nurnberg messe a new digital system that is very interested!
Check at this first:
www.z21.eu

Just the loco only? What about control Point/signals?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 10 February 2012 21:47:24(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Check at this first:
www.z21.eu

Just the loco only? What about control Point/signals?

Everything is there.
You can check it at youtube too.
H0
Offline AshleyH  
#15 Posted : 10 February 2012 21:59:46(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Yes I have just become aware of the Z21 earlier today.

From a Marklin viewpoint, it does not mention support for the M4 MfX protocol.

The virtual cab control looks very interesting though, with possible support for live video feeds from an inboard video camera.

The videos from the show seem to indicate that the software is in the early stages of development though.

One to watch....
Offline Chris6382chris  
#16 Posted : 10 February 2012 22:18:26(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
King Buick:

I can't comment on the Marklin Controllers as I don't have them. I have my MS1 and I had a 6021 before that. Now I have an Ecos 2 and I love it. The MS1 works with it perfectly and the ESU has done everything it promised. For me the decision was based on price (Under $800), the quality of the product, the availability, support and the internal transformer.

I have been very happy with my decision.

Chris
Offline jvuye  
#17 Posted : 10 February 2012 22:50:06(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi!
Difficult decision it was for me too.

But, I have finally decided for the ECos 2.

There is no "right or "wrong" here just a set of criteria but here are the reasons that influenced my choice:

1° more "universal" than the CS2, and it has a great additional feature : Railcom! which automatically recognize Railcom equipped locos,(like MfX but much faster) *and* accessory decoders. I have a very diverse fleet: everything works!

I love the automatic detection of locos Marklin, DCC, Selectix, MfX, you name it, you've got it!

2° on top of the S88 bus, it has the ECOSlink bus, which gives you access to a whole lot of great accessories, like the ECosdetector that not only detects occupancy, but can be wired to also read the name of the loco on that section (via Railcom)

4° 4 amp booster in HO, works very welle and no welding of wheels so far!

5° Cheaper (or at least "less expensive"BigGrin )

6° available

7° last but not least the information is "all there", in the same spot and "volunteered" by ESU (as opposed to Märklin where unfortunately, it's often a detective's "extraction" job to piece information together)

I am also monitoring closely the traffic on the ESU forum,. Although ESU personel doesn't intervene directly very often (long periods of silence on recognized problems like e.g.a former bug that was rendering one of the controllers inoperative after a long stand-by.
(The problemn has apparently been fixed in the meantime)

On the other hand ESU locos are apparently showing much more technical difficulties than Märklin productions.

To each his job!
Offline kbvrod  
#18 Posted : 10 February 2012 23:20:12(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
A walk down memory lane,...LOL

Dr D
Offline NZMarklinist  
#19 Posted : 11 February 2012 00:28:30(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

I have a CS1 reloaded (CS1 with the ECoS software). It is far better than a CS1 with software 2.0.4 and much faster.
IMHO it's better than a CS2 (at least for me).

Here's my review (incl. a CS1R/CS2 comparison at the end of the review):
https://www.marklin-user...te-59990---reloaded.aspx

Others will tell you a CS2 is better. Colour, high resolution screen. But when I use it I always miss some of the cool CS1R features.
It depends on YOU which one is better for YOU.

Tadzio,
I too have CS1-R and I can only totally agree with Tom, ThumpUp just get the CS Reload and save yourself heaps so you can spend it on more Trains or whatever BigGrin Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 11 February 2012 00:45:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've have both the CS2 and Ecos 1. The Ecos 1 is on the layout, and I like the ability to have multiple loco cabs on the screen, plus I can program and move around what screen my accessories (solenoids, signals, etc) appear on. I don't like the keyboard setup of the CS2 - it is a relic from the 6021 days, and I think Marklin should have come up with something better than that. You don't seem to be able to move turnouts/signals around - they seem to be tied to the keyboard address that controls them (at least I haven't found out if you can move them).

The CS2 has a nice colour screen, and the new ithingy apps seem quite cool.

If I were you, I would upgrade your CS1 to CS1R, which would give it the same capabilities as my Ecos 1.
Offline river6109  
#21 Posted : 11 February 2012 02:51:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
My choice was tyhe ECoS

I've waited several years and waited before I've decided which command station I'll buy.
Marklins system at the time CS 1 and than CS 2 did offer components, e.g. 6021 to be used but to me it was a spaghetti garden of wires and connecting gadgets for this to achieve.
with the ECoS you can also add 3 mobile stations and the 6020 or 6021.

There is also a whole range of light functions you can program, effects and for consists, so it doesn't just lie in which command station you buy it also was a deciding factor using ESU decoders and programming them via a lokprogrammer.
I can't see how you can compare the 2 when one is made for Maerklin & Trix products and the ECoS is made for a variety of other modeltrain manufacturers.
When I looked at the options, Maerklin and ECoS looked pretty much the same, offered pretty much the same functions but in the end it was a combination of factors.
Although I like Maerklin locos and of course the limited track system has to go with it whether you like it or not, the whole protocol system was or is untouchable, with mfx you can't select certain CV's or most of them and there are different perceptions out there what a loco and how it is used for, buy it off the shelf and play with it, don't want to program it and what ever sound is offered I'm happy with it, for me this wasn't enough.

I'm sure Maerklin will come up with something unique again in the future but it will not be a CS1, CS2 and the changing technology in the electronic business will show this.
I've drifted over the years to other modeltrain manufacturers and I'm not dissapointed with products such as Roco and ESU.
the price between the two station wasn't an issue but the price of decoders was.
Another point for me to lean towards the ECoS was the radio control unit, although I'm not completely happy with it it gives me the room to move around my layout and control locos and turnouts from this gadget.
RailComPlus decoders was introduced with the latest version 4 release and it was explained above the benefits they bring with them.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Dave Banks  
#22 Posted : 11 February 2012 03:41:55(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Had the CS1 & had it factory updated.Really enjoyed it compared to 6021. Got a CS 2 that failed on me & had to go back to Marklin factory & be replaced with a new one. Got it back & in the interim time it was away at Marklin I had a play of my friends Ecos 50200 with colour screen & loved it. So I sold the CS2 when it was returned to me & got the Ecos 50200. One thing I did like about the CS2 was the loading of info on the USB stick like updates & loco icons was a simple procedure & done in a matter of moments. The Ecos is more labour intensive & must be connected to a computer & all must be done manually & in the case of Icons a one by one process unless someone knows of a faster method. That is the only two negatives I have of the Ecos.But once you have all info loaded & backed up it is all plain sailing from there on. The rest is all positive & an exceptionally user friendly unit to use with so many more options. I now run most of my locos on DCC mode. Go give both a test drive & you decide what suits you.
D.A.Banks
Offline Winterblade73  
#23 Posted : 11 February 2012 05:03:58(UTC)
Winterblade73

United States   
Looks like the Z21 is going to have Apple and Android market apps right off the bat.
Phil from SoCal
Member of ETE SoCal since 2011
ETE SoCal Facebook Page
Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois (CFL) Era III-VI
Offline Goofy  
#24 Posted : 11 February 2012 09:18:53(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post
Yes I have just become aware of the Z21 earlier today.

From a Marklin viewpoint, it does not mention support for the M4 MfX protocol.

The virtual cab control looks very interesting though, with possible support for live video feeds from an inboard video camera.

The videos from the show seem to indicate that the software is in the early stages of development though.

One to watch....

Hi!
I think it will support M4 and mfx protocol system too,since Marklin offer customer with those system.
I know mfx is an trademark registred system for Marklin...but no big difference from using MM.
Except multifunctions in every locomotivs for ac track.
I have not found out yet if Z21 arrives out with this M4 and mfx system too.
This Z21 system can let customer control layout via PC,Ipad2 and soon 3 and mobilphone.
The only you need is an screen as cab.
In Z21 you can choise which imitation kind of cabinet,like modern electric locomotiv or an steam locomotiv cabinet.
Sounds great!

I would have been waiting to get an new system like CS2 or Ecos before Z21 arrives out under this summer 2012.
H0
Offline NZMarklinist  
#25 Posted : 11 February 2012 13:45:57(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
I don't believe that there is any way Marklin would allow another competitive MRR Manufacturer to use the MFX protocol. The only reason ESU can, is that they wrote the code for it, and were allowed, as part of their's and Marklins "divorce" settlement. It would be patented for quite a while I would think
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Western Pacific  
#26 Posted : 11 February 2012 15:38:46(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
I don't believe that there is any way Marklin would allow another competitive MRR Manufacturer to use the MFX protocol. The only reason ESU can, is that they wrote the code for it, and were allowed, as part of their's and Marklins "divorce" settlement. It would be patented for quite a while I would think

I'm not sure what Märklin would do. However if we look at the total H0 model railway market worldwide, then I believe DCC has a larger market share than mfx. In Germany there might be a different story.

What will Märklin do? In my mind it very much depends on what strategy for mfx they adopt.

One could note that all new Märklin lok decoders support mfx, MM1, MM2 and DCC. It is obvious that Märklin supports DCC for Trix models and to have all protocols in the decoders may streamline decoder supply and if there is a higher production cost, this may compensated by lower inventory and product administration costs.

This means that for new products Märklin can make a business driven decision to abandon mfx in favor of DCC. If on the other hand Märklin sees advantages to stick with mfx, then there might be a good idea to license mfx (or M4) to other control unit producers than ESU*). The reasoning being that there is always an option for Märklin users to move to DCC, at least if they have many loks with new multi protocol decoders, and such a development may mean lower after sales business for Märklin. Licensing mfx (or M4) could mean losing some of the mfx control unit business (which Märklin would have lost anyhow if the users choose to go for DCC), but it would lead to a larger group of users staying with mfx in their Märklin loks and thus kept as potential after sales customers.

______
*) This assumes that Märklin has the right to license mfx (or M4). If ESU has the right or ESU has the right to veto licensing, then it is a totally different ball game.
Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 11 February 2012 19:09:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post
Yes I have just become aware of the Z21 earlier today. [...]

I think it will support M4 and mfx protocol system too,since Marklin offer customer with those system.
Z21 is the new Roco controller - they don't mention M4 or mfx in the brochure.
They mention it's prepared for CAN bus and LocoNet - but don't mention when this will be supported and what will work with it.

The Viessmann people said years ago that their Commander could support mfx one day - they just don't say when.

Besides ESU and Märklin, so far only Tams supports a sort of mfx (but only with manual registration).

I don't think we'll see mfx/M4 in the Z21 this year (probably it'll never come). They'd have to add an mfx receiver to their hardware to be able to fully support mfx later though software updates. I don't think they'll add that receiver (why should they if they target DC/DCC users?).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jvuye  
#28 Posted : 11 February 2012 22:31:42(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

I don't think we'll see mfx/M4 in the Z21 this year (probably it'll never come). They'd have to add an mfx receiver to their hardware to be able to fully support mfx later though software updates. I don't think they'll add that receiver (why should they if they target DC/DCC users?).

Hi!
Interesting discussion!
They might very well have a good reason to add teh receiver part: it's called Railcom!
The Railcom works really well with the ECoS 2, so much so, taht after I finish my old supply of Lokpilot mfx, I'll uy DCC + railcom decoder only.
So if the Z21 incorporates Railcom, I think it would not be too hard to add mfx?
Or?

Offline H0  
#29 Posted : 11 February 2012 23:46:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
So if the Z21 incorporates Railcom, I think it would not be too hard to add mfx?
Railcom and mfx have nothing in common (except that they achieve the same goals). One receiver for Railcom, another receiver for mfx.
CS1 reloaded supports mfx, but not Railcom because it only has the receiver for mfx. You need an ECoS Booster to use Railcom with CS1 reloaded.

Is there a Railcom receiver in the CS2? I don't know - probably would help if they ever should target the DCC two-rail market with it.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Laxman  
#30 Posted : 12 February 2012 00:32:22(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Hi All

I have been following this thread with interest as I am considering a new controller as all I have now are a few MS1.

It seems that there is a lot of consensus on one of 3 different options

1. CS2

2. CS1 reload

3. ECOS

My first question is if I do not own a CS1 is the CS1 reload a good choice (I assume I would have to get a used CS1 on eBay or somewhere and take my chances) or should i really concentrate on deciding between a new CS2 and new ECOS? Also would a used CS1 reload be significantly cheaper than either a new CS2 or ECOS?

Second question is someone mentioned the ability to update the CS2 via USB stick vs. the need to connect ECOS to a computer. I only have Mac/Apple computers and do not have access to a PC--would this influence the decision between CS2and ECOS.

Thanks much

Dole
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#31 Posted : 12 February 2012 00:38:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Getting a CS1 and updating it with the Reloaded upgrade might be a bit cheaper, but unless your budget is really tight, I would suggest you go for the Ecos 2. If you did get a CS1, make sure that it has the v2.0 hardware upgrade, together with either software version 2.0.3 or 2.0.4. There are some CS1's out there with the older v1.3 hardware, which cannot be updated to the Reloaded version, without being updated to v2.0 first, for which you have to send the CS back to Marklin.
Offline nevw  
#32 Posted : 12 February 2012 02:55:47(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Mac or PC same result. the Cs1, Cs2 and ECOS are Linux Computers.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Laxman  
#33 Posted : 12 February 2012 04:47:20(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Thanks Nev and David

I suspected as much with regards to a CS1 reload.

Now I will have to decide b/t Ecos 2 or Cs2.

I do love apple products and the iPad app looks very cool.

Could you explain the part about the 4 amp vs 3 amp--does the CS2 require an additional booster?

Dole
Offline DigitalNZ  
#34 Posted : 12 February 2012 05:20:07(UTC)
DigitalNZ

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Laxman Go to Quoted Post

I do love apple products and the iPad app looks very cool.

Dole

I agree with you about apple products ThumpUp and I can say from experience that the iPad app is wonderful!

I'd go for the CS 2 if I were you, we got a 60214 and haven't regretted it for a second. Cool

Regards,

Daniell
Offline KingBuick  
#35 Posted : 12 February 2012 05:25:04(UTC)
KingBuick

Hi everyone, and thanks for your replies.

I am currently in contact with a few dealers about their availability with the CS2 and ECOS. Reynauld's told me that I should go for the ESU ECOS, and Euro Rail Hobbies told me that I should go for the CS2.

I'll let you guys know of my decision once I've finished being in contact with Micro Macro Mundo and Modellbahn Ott.

Cheers!

Tadzio.
Permanent C-Track Layout controlled with 60215 CS2 with version 1 software. Locos and rolling stock from Eras II-IV.
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/KingBuick/ .
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KingBuick
Twitter: https://twitter.com/King_Buick
Offline H0  
#36 Posted : 12 February 2012 08:40:15(UTC)
H0

Hi, Dole!
Could you explain the part about the 4 amp vs 3 amp--does the CS2 require an additional booster?
A driving loco typically consumes 0.2 A through 0.6 A, but my ICE 3 draws 1.5 A with lights on.

So sooner or later you will need a booster to run more trains at the same time. With CS2 a bit earlier, with ECoS a bit later.

CS2 60215 can provide 5 A - but Märklin say for 1 gauge only, 5 A must not be used for H0 gauge.
CS2 60213 and early 60214 provide 2.4 A only (3 A only with a trick).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TimR  
#37 Posted : 12 February 2012 12:24:36(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Hi, Dole!
A driving loco typically consumes 0.2 A through 0.6 A, but my ICE 3 draws 1.5 A with lights on.

So sooner or later you will need a booster to run more trains at the same time. With CS2 a bit earlier, with ECoS a bit later.

CS2 60215 can provide 5 A - but Märklin say for 1 gauge only, 5 A must not be used for H0 gauge.

Check out this link:
http://www.dermodellbahn...lokomotiven-maerklin.htm

If you click on the inside of each loco and check out the details of the inside,
you'll be able to see max consumption of power from each model.
The list is not complete - but gives quite a general idea for most available Marklin models.

Power consumption of loks may be quite dependant on its motor type and its relative weight.

Passenger train coaches fitted with lights will consume even more power - so LED boards are more recommended to save power.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline Laxman  
#38 Posted : 12 February 2012 16:49:24(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Thanks Tom

This may be a stupid f/u question, but does the CS2 come with a 60061? Or do you have to purchase it separately? If not, does it come with another smaller transformer/power supply like my MS1 or does the CS2 plug directly into the wall? Is the CS2 capable of running a small 4x8 or so layout with 3-5 trains and no other accessories out of the box of would I need to get the 60061 at the time of initial purchase?

Tim

That is really a great website. Loads of info. Great photos.

Dole
Offline H0  
#39 Posted : 12 February 2012 17:16:50(UTC)
H0

The CS2 comes without power supply. Different power supplies for 230 V and 120 V available (100 W for 1 gauge, 60 W for H0 gauge).
ECoS or CS1 reloaded include a power supply (90 W, for 100 through 240 V input voltages).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Laxman  
#40 Posted : 12 February 2012 20:31:30(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Thanks Tom

Dole
Offline Chris6382chris  
#41 Posted : 12 February 2012 20:56:00(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Originally Posted by: KingBuick Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone, and thanks for your replies.

I am currently in contact with a few dealers about their availability with the CS2 and ECOS. Reynauld's told me that I should go for the ESU ECOS, and Euro Rail Hobbies told me that I should go for the CS2.

I'll let you guys know of my decision once I've finished being in contact with Micro Macro Mundo and Modellbahn Ott.

Cheers!

Tadzio.

I bought my ECOS 2 from AJCKids, really have had great service from them.

Chris
Offline NZMarklinist  
#42 Posted : 13 February 2012 03:30:12(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Dole!

Check out this link:
http://www.dermodellbahn...lokomotiven-maerklin.htm

If you click on the inside of each loco and check out the details of the inside,
you'll be able to see max consumption of power from each model.
The list is not complete - but gives quite a general idea for most available Marklin models.

Power consumption of loks may be quite dependant on its motor type and its relative weight.

Passenger train coaches fitted with lights will consume even more power - so LED boards are more recommended to save power.

Excellent Link Tim !! :D
Glen
Auckland NZ