Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2011 06:43:24(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Now getting ready to move into another phase of the cookeebahn.

There are 8 switch tracks, each of which only has one circuit currently used in the analogue mode.

Conveniently, 8 tracks with 2 inputs just happens to equal the 16 inputs on an s88 and by monitoring those, I will hopefully be able to do some interesting manoeuvres with reverse running.

So my question is, shall I just go with the s88 which I have to admit is the only device I have experience with, or are their other options to consider? - I am sure I've heard of a Viessmann equivalent, and perhaps there's others to take into account.

Ultimately the aim is control via PC - but my primary control centre at present is my Intellibox 650 (for which I may invest in the Route control upgrade) with my older 6022 Central-Control connected at the left as an additional 4-train throttle.

I may later on look to occupancy or other detection but the existing switch tracks are the first start.

Unfortunately I already have an S88 but it's packed away back home and too hard to get to so easier just to buy another.

I want something I can get easily, if anyone has a spare 6088 they can do a good deal on I'm more than happy with a pre-loved unit - alternatively, if I go with an alternative module, what are the options, plus pros and cons??

Cheers and thanks

Cookee
Melbourne
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Fredrik  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2011 10:57:13(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi there,

for the S88-bus I would consider the LDT RM-88 (LDT-Infocenter). It has better a cable (twisted pairs instead of a flat one) and is much cheaper. Available as kit and finished module. Also a OPTO-insulated is available (and you will probably find some more useful items on their page). I have several of the non-OPTO version and they always worked fine - although now placed aside in favour of a CAN-system.

Edit: Corrected link.

Edited by user 04 July 2011 03:54:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2011 01:50:01(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Fredrik Go to Quoted Post
Hi there,

for the S88-bus I would consider the LDT RM-88 (LDT-Infocenter). It has better a cable (twisted pairs instead of a flat one) and is much cheaper. Available as kit and finished module. Also a OPTO-insulated is available (and you will probably find some more useful items on their page). I have several of the non-OPTO version and they always worked fine - although now placed aside in favour of a CAN-system.

Thanks Fredrik, much appreciated, there seems to be quite a bit of information on their website and I'll need to do a bit of reading.

But one thing that is not immediately obvious, while I do like the connection method (UTP instead of the flat cable), how does it connect to the other end? - I assume it's a special adapter cable with RJ45 one end and the 6-pin connector at the other or am I missing something?

I could not find that detail from browsing their site although I did not dig too deeply.

Thanks

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2011 01:52:51(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi there,

Oh by the way, that link you provided does not work, it's actually ...

http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/english/rm88n_e.htm

... just in case anyone else was checking it also.

Cheers

BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Fredrik  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2011 03:58:33(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Didn't check how it is now, but all the rm88:s that I have (which do not have RJ-45 connectors) are using their own twisted pair ca le with the aprioriskt connector for the S88-bus.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2011 05:19:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Cookee, besides the LDT module, you could look at the Viessmann 5217 S88 module, which is similar to the Marklin unit but somewhat cheaper.

johnvandamme has them for 47.43 euro at the momoent - http://cgi.ebay.com/Vies...&hash=item588caf8218

Viessmann also have a variant which can detect power draw from a track section, which is good for occupancy detection, but it is limited to 8 inputs. I think it is the 5218.
Offline Robert Davies  
#7 Posted : 05 July 2011 02:45:59(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Here is another one - http://www.voelkner.de/products...decoder-S88-5212-Mm.html - even cheaper although you have to buy the case separately. I have 2 of these and they work fine.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
Offline Caralain  
#8 Posted : 05 July 2011 03:18:19(UTC)
Caralain

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Cookee, besides the LDT module, you could look at the Viessmann 5217 S88 module, which is similar to the Marklin unit but somewhat cheaper.

johnvandamme has them for 47.43 euro at the momoent - http://cgi.ebay.com/Vies...&hash=item588caf8218

Viessmann also have a variant which can detect power draw from a track section, which is good for occupancy detection, but it is limited to 8 inputs. I think it is the 5218.

I believe that the number for the Viessmann decoder with track occupancy detector is 5233

Pierre
Offline Marius in Africa  
#9 Posted : 05 July 2011 06:22:51(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
...............But one thing that is not immediately obvious, while I do like the connection method (UTP instead of the flat cable), how does it connect to the other end? - I assume it's a special adapter cable with RJ45 one end and the 6-pin connector at the other or am I missing something?...........

Hi Steve

If you decide to use the LDT Opto units; the first feedback decoder (closest to the controller) is connected to your controller with the normal 8 pin "M" type cable. The remainder of the units can then be connected to each other with standard RJ45 cable. You can purchase RJ45 cable at your local computer store at very much better prices than LDT.

I installed LDT Opto units for feedback. The connection of the feedback wires are via conventional screw down terminals, IMO a better and more practical idea than those fussy pin type connectors of Marklin and Viesmann.

Regards
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline Nielsenr  
#10 Posted : 05 July 2011 06:56:00(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
If you are into soldering and building one, don't forget Huib Maaskant's site"

http://www.floodland.nl/aim/info_bmd16n_en_1.htm

He sells the bare pcb boards that include using RJ-45 connectors and ethernet cable to connect modules. In addition, he also has connector interfaces to convert the normal connections to RJ-45.

Robert