Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dntower85  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2011 20:34:04(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Woot Woot Woot

more about it soonWoot

Edited by user 15 April 2011 02:42:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline dntower85  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2011 05:23:28(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying
The ECoS may have a problem or it may just need an upgrade,

I've got a short circuit error coming up about a second after hitting the go button, it then resets to stop I'm only connected to a test track at this time.

I get the error even if the track wires are disconnected.

I also have a low battery indication. I check the batteries with a volt meter and they show 1.27 V which is correct for a rechargeable battery.

I did get it running by going into the system setup and checked the "Shutdown booster segment with shortcut only (Key Go will Blink at ShortCut)" I think they mean short circuit.

When I hit go now every thing starts but I have a flashing go button and still have a short circuit indication.

In the systems current monitor it shows roughly 350mA/ 550mA at 16.4 V / 51degres C

I'm not sure what to do next/ register my serial number with ESU and try for an update to see if that will fix it or send it back in or
maybe there is another setting that can fix it.

anyone else out their with an Ecos 50200 with the same problem

Darrin

Edited by user 17 March 2011 14:55:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DT
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Caralain  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2011 06:07:03(UTC)
Caralain

United States   
Hi Darrin

I wouldn't worry about the level of the batteries. You can even use the Ecos without any. They are useful only in case of sudden shutdown.

I don't think you have a shortcut. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to start your trains. Unfortunately I cannot help you more. I have a CS1 reloaded. Even though the software is identical, the 50200 are some particularities. I would be inclined to think that the configuration is incorrect.

I would personally try first to reset the station to the factory default values. Look at p. 40 of the instructions (first edition, February 2010). Then if you have still the problem, I would register to the ESU forum. There are a lot of interesting postings. Moreover you need to be registered to download any update. Eventually, if everything fails, I would send it back.

I hope it helps a little bit.

Cheers,

Pierre
Offline dntower85  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2011 13:26:07(UTC)
dntower85

United States   

]I got it figured out, I went into the booster configuration an changed its short circuit protection time out from 0ms to 400ms. And I check the box right below it, for shutting off ]only the booster section if there is a short.
Seems like I remember reading a post about this some where. I don't know if there might still be a hardware or software problem for the booster output but with up to 4 amps I may never use one.

I now have it connected to the layout and have trains an switches running. After leaving it up and running for a while the low battery indicator is now off also.
DT
Offline dntower85  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2011 14:54:50(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Still got a problem

After the ECoS is shut down then restarted I get the same Short Circuit error. If I go back to the to the booster configuration menu, the last settings that I entered will be there, if I change the delay again to any value and apply I can then Press go and every thing works when I hit GO. Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
DT
Offline hemau  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2011 16:47:44(UTC)
hemau

Originally Posted by: dntower85 Go to Quoted Post
Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying
[...]

I get the error even if the track wires are disconnected.

[ ... ]

In the systems current monitor it shows roughly 350mA/ 550mA at 16.4 V / 51degres C

Darrin

The temperature reading is very high. I don't know what the reading in F is but 51 C I only reach in my CS1R after a long time (20 min?) of high power output (3000 mA). Room temperature (heated or AC) is around 20 C. And with no track wires connected the mA reading should be 0.
Looks like some internal short circuit :-(
Henk

Edit: 51 degrees Celsius is 124 degrees Fahrenheit.

Edited by user 17 March 2011 21:10:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 17 March 2011 20:35:52(UTC)
H0

Hi, Darrin!
I'm only connected to a test track at this time.

What kind of track?
Analogue feeder tracks with radio interference suppression must not be used for digital operation.

Henk is right: if the empty track consumes 350 mA then there is something wrong (with 20 locos standing on the track this would be an acceptable reading).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline dntower85  
#8 Posted : 17 March 2011 21:38:13(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Darrin!
I'm only connected to a test track at this time.

What kind of track?
Analogue feeder tracks with radio interference suppression must not be used for digital operation.

Henk is right: if the empty track consumes 350 mA then there is something wrong (with 20 locos standing on the track this would be an acceptable reading).

C and K-track with normal feeder wires running to the track.
I get the same results with it only connected to the programing track.

I guess its back to the dealer with it Crying wouldn't be so bad except it will most likely be another 6 months or more before it can be fixed or more shipments come in so it can be replaced.
DT
Offline Writhdar  
#9 Posted : 17 March 2011 23:37:35(UTC)
Writhdar

Darrin,

I'm not sure I understood if you have an external booster connected - if you do, have you tried disconnecting it and only using the internal booster? Basically, do you get the short circuit without any thing else (other than the power supply) being connected?

I also just received the 50200 but, so far, the gods have been kind to me. I did notice that the plugs for the Main and Programming Track slots dislodge easily. I had registered all the locos, with some minor glitches, on day 1 but when I started up on day 2, none of the locos on the main track were active - thought I had a serious problem but it was simply that the plug had dislodged. Likewise for the battery compartment cover (and the batteries when this happens!)- doubt these are factors in your situation, however.
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 18 March 2011 02:50:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Darrin,

Registering your 50200 with ESU allows you to join the forum and you can write about your problem you're experiencing (in english).

Wolfgang Leitenberger is one of the moderators and he usually helps a lot ECoS owner with their problem.
So before sending it back to the dealer again and as you said waiting another few month before you'll get it back try this option and see how you go.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline dntower85  
#11 Posted : 18 March 2011 05:03:45(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Darrin,

Registering your 50200 with ESU allows you to join the forum and you can write about your problem you're experiencing (in english).

Wolfgang Leitenberger is one of the moderators and he usually helps a lot ECoS owner with their problem.
So before sending it back to the dealer again and as you said waiting another few month before you'll get it back try this option and see how you go.

John

Thanks John that's kind of what I was thinking, as soon as the serial number is goes though the process I'll see what I can find out. And I'll update it if there is a newer software version. I still think it is more of a software bug than a hardware problem. As I can just reset the booster time out and it works, and works well. If it is a hardware problem and its going to fail it will just happen. I might as well work with it as much as I can while it is running. I'm really having fun setting it up.
DT
Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 18 March 2011 06:03:29(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
SOftware is up to 3.3.3

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 18 March 2011 06:33:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I'm really having fun setting it up.

Don't forget to save your data regular.
Sometimes the ECos does strange things therefore updating it all the time is essential, especially when you download loco pictures and even here if you download too many suddenly the ECoS stops and all your efforts are lost.
Its not a nice feeling when you've just started up.How did you go registering your locos ? or do you have all mfx locos ?
It took me a while to figure out how to use a long address.
Did get a lot of advise but couldn't figure it out myself until I've used the lokprogrammer and it does it automatically, could have saved me a lot of frustration.

John
Offline TomB  
#14 Posted : 18 March 2011 09:33:10(UTC)
TomB

Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
SOftware is up to 3.3.3

NN

Hi, ESU prepares the new version 3.4.0 before making it public.
Maybe today or tomorrow ...............
Tom Blikstad
HO, german/swiss trains, Märklin K+C, ECoS I+II,
Viessmann, Kühn, MBTronik, WinDigipet 2012, WinTrack 11
Offline nevw  
#15 Posted : 18 March 2011 10:55:30(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
I have an Ecos 2 arriving in the next few days.

Nn
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline dntower85  
#16 Posted : 22 March 2011 04:16:51(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
I just installed Firmware update 3.4.0 and it fixed the false short circuit error reported from the booster that wasn't there. BigGrin
DT
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 22 March 2011 05:07:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Nn

And I have Nev's (not so) old Ecos 1 arriving in the next few days! Laugh
Offline dntower85  
#18 Posted : 22 March 2011 13:37:15(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Nn

And I saw Nev's ECoS 2 being packed up for shipping. Laugh
DT
Offline GSRR  
#19 Posted : 22 March 2011 19:20:48(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
I just installed Firmware update 3.4.0 and it fixed the false short circuit error reported from the booster that wasn't there. BigGrin

Darrin,

congrats on fixing the problem, enjoy. If you have access to an Apple iThing then give TouchCab a try with the ECoS.

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline nevw  
#20 Posted : 22 March 2011 21:59:24(UTC)
nevw

Australia   

Nn

And I saw Nev's ECoS 2 being packed up for shipping. Laugh

Has not arrived up to now. off to the post office in a few hours. it may be there. or maybe not. LOL Confused BigGrin Crying
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 22 March 2011 22:01:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Has not arrived up to now. off to the post office in a few hours. it may be there. or maybe not. LOL Confused BigGrin Crying

Neither has the Ecos 1. Maybe tomorrow.
Offline nevw  
#22 Posted : 23 March 2011 01:26:36(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
The ECOS has landedBigGrin ThumpUp RollEyes
Offline nevw  
#23 Posted : 23 March 2011 07:22:14(UTC)
nevw

Australia   

and appears to be working well.

BigGrin RollEyes ThumpUp
Offline Marius in Africa  
#24 Posted : 23 March 2011 17:22:27(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   

and appears to be working well.

BigGrin RollEyes ThumpUp

Good to hear that you are happy with the ECoS2 Nev. It is a nice controller.
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 23 March 2011 21:00:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

There's an extra large box sitting by my desk this morning.....

Hmmm, maybe I should open it.......
Offline Webmaster  
#26 Posted : 23 March 2011 21:08:09(UTC)
Webmaster

So, is the technicolor Ecos vastly better than the old one? We expect a colorful report on this isssue... BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline nevw  
#27 Posted : 23 March 2011 22:59:30(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
So, is the technicolor Ecos vastly better than the old one? We expect a colorful report on this isssue... BigGrin

the technicolour Ecos is very colourful, more so than the Mono Version.
Some other colourful improvements are also present and visable. BigGrin RollEyes ThumpUp

More colourful news later.

NN
Offline nevw  
#28 Posted : 23 March 2011 23:01:08(UTC)
nevw

Australia   

There's an extra large box sitting by my desk this morning.....

Hmmm, maybe I should open it.......

Hope it is the correct box and that I did not get them mixed up.

NNFlapper
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#29 Posted : 24 March 2011 00:03:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Well, if you sent me the colour Ecos (52000) I ain't sending it back! Flapper Flapper Flapper
Offline nevw  
#30 Posted : 24 March 2011 00:44:15(UTC)
nevw

Australia   

Well, if you sent me the colour Ecos (52000) I ain't sending it back! Flapper Flapper Flapper

No it was a donation of Used Kitty Litter in theFlapper other parcel.

NNLOL
Offline river6109  
#31 Posted : 24 March 2011 01:32:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Nev, Dave,

I guess, in this case, it wouldn't be a colourful mixed up parcel than

John
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#32 Posted : 24 March 2011 02:16:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
No, but it would be rather smelly!

Thankfully the box did not contain used kitty litter, but an Ecos 50000. Seems to work OK, even has all of Nev's loco still defined. Might be a bit hard for me to control his layout with it from here though!

The Ecos is OK, but the manuals had a damp feel to them when I pulled them out of the box. Don't know if AusPost had the parcel in a damp area - the outer box seems dry, but there is some slight crush damage to it. The contents inside seem fine though, and the Ecos appears to be working OK (don't have a layout at work to fully test it).

I reprinted the manuals, in full colour, no less.
Offline dntower85  
#33 Posted : 24 March 2011 15:14:47(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Well now I got another problem that I just cant seem to solve
I can't seem to get any communication back form the s88
Crying

I cant find anything obvious.
I didn't attache the s88 till after the system has been updated to 3.4.0.
I went into the s88 configuration and set it up for one 16 port module.
It didn't work, I checked my ground connections because I had read that if the s88 is not grounded well it will not work.
I have turned off Railcom,didn't work, this was mentioned on the ESU forum.
I tried connecting two s88 together because I seem to remember that Tom had an update where the first s88 was not seen. didn't work.
I've backdated the firmware to 3.3.3
I've made a simple test track with one circuit track to test with. didn't work.

I took some photos of the simple test track can anyone see anything obvious, the last picture is from the manual showing the configuration page of the s88
I thought that when the circuit track is triggered that one of the squares should turn white. about once or twice a minute I see them all flash white for a split second.
dntower85 attached the following image(s):
DSC06080.JPG
DSC06083.JPG
DSC06089.JPG
DSC06090.JPG
Image12.png
DT
Offline NZMarklinist  
#34 Posted : 24 March 2011 15:20:56(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
No, but it would be rather smelly!

The Ecos is OK, but the manuals had a damp feel to them when I pulled them out of the box. Don't know if AusPost had the parcel in a damp area - the outer box seems dry, but there is some slight crush damage to it.

Maybe Nev's old moggy did get in there before he sealed it up and posted it BigGrin Flapper
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline dntower85  
#35 Posted : 24 March 2011 15:26:17(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
one more possible problem,

When I click configure ECoSniffer nothing happens. in both 3.4.0 and 3.3.3 firmware version
I don't have anything attached to it yet but I was just wondering if a menu should open.
DSC06086.JPG
DT
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#36 Posted : 24 March 2011 20:49:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Maybe Nev's old moggy did get in there before he sealed it up and posted it BigGrin Flapper

That's probably the truth!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#37 Posted : 25 March 2011 00:55:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I thought that when the circuit track is triggered that one of the squares should turn white. about once or twice a minute I see them all flash white for a split second.

I'm not sure about the Ecos 52000, but on the CS1 they go dark (black). You should definitely see some sort of change.

I can try with my Ecos 50000 (v3.3.3) and see, then also upgrade to v3.4.0 and see what happens. I only have 1 S88 module though.
Offline nevw  
#38 Posted : 25 March 2011 01:17:01(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Darrin, I had the problem that the white was on all of the time and would do nothing,

a couple of things wrong
I had the S88 connected on the wrong Plug, not the arrows pointing to the ECOS.

I took the T feed from the track, to the T on the S88. Made a contact track out of a Piece of C track by cutting the connector underneath. and connected the O to number 1 on S88. the one square remained White.
SO then I isolated the piece of track on one side using the red thingys. the number one indicator remained dark, passed a car over the track, indicator went white and route was triggered on hte screen. Is shifting the the points so all working
Offline dntower85  
#39 Posted : 25 March 2011 02:46:23(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Nev,

Take a look at these two photos
do i have the s88 connectors correct?

ecos s88 plug
s88 plug
DT
Offline dntower85  
#40 Posted : 25 March 2011 02:52:12(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
To make sure that the s88 I am using for testing is good I connected up the old 6021/6051 interface to the computer and launched LoCommander

Stillworks
DSC06093.JPG
DSC06094.JPG
DT
Offline nevw  
#41 Posted : 25 March 2011 03:47:20(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
I am using a 6088 and the cables are pointing Down but the blue stripe is on the outside. I do not know if that makes a difference BUT if you swap them end for end the Blue stripe will be on the outside. Try that.

Offline dntower85  
#42 Posted : 04 April 2011 16:18:19(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
After sever days of research I found which pins to test for Voltage on the s88 circuit.
I first tested pins 6 and 2 on my old 6051 marklin interface with my multimeter. pin 6 on the left when viewing the back.
On the 6051 the voltage read 4.79v which is close to the 5v that it should be

On the Ecos2 I did the same test and the voltage was 0v, I also tested between pin 6 Ground on main track and there was 0v
With out an oscilloscope I don't have a way to test the data and clock. But with out voltage its not going to work anyway.

I suspect that this board is the same as what in the Ecos 1 and CS 1 with long pins connecting to the main board (as seen here on Wolfgang's page PCB board which is installed in the ECoS), so I can't see how it could have a loose connection caused by shipping.

The ECoSsniffer works well so the entire s88/booster/sniffer is not dead, but I don't have a booster to test.
But it looks like the s88 is not going to work with out repairs

Can someone concur with my results.
DT
Offline dntower85  
#43 Posted : 15 April 2011 02:47:47(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
I got a replacement ECoS back from the US ESU service center today

After updating the firmware to 3.4.0, I have connected it to a test track and a s88. The feedback now works perfectly! :)
On this new unit I also did not see the strange false short circuit that was being detected in the external booster which I don't have. I guess the first one I got had a bad circuit or chip.

I think I am going to start from scratch and not restore my old config file.
That should keep me busy for a while.
DT
Offline NZMarklinist  
#44 Posted : 15 April 2011 03:02:44(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Yay good result David, ThumpUp the worrying thing is lots of people who don't have a permanent layout yet could have bought one and not tested the feedback circuit till after the warranty expires and then be out in the cold !!?? ThumbDown
I certainly haven't tested it on my CS1-R, and it is a new to me replacement after mine was sent back for a screen replacement ??Huh
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline dntower85  
#45 Posted : 15 April 2011 03:27:57(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Yay good result David, ThumpUp the worrying thing is lots of people who don't have a permanent layout yet could have bought one and not tested the feedback circuit till after the warranty expires and then be out in the cold !!?? ThumbDown
I certainly haven't tested it on my CS1-R, and it is a new to me replacement after mine was sent back for a screen replacement ??Huh

Its Darrin actuallyBigGrin

I hope to get an ESU booster and one of the ECosLink feedback detectors with RailCom as soon as I can and when it is available, to test before warranty is up. But this new one isn't acting funny like the other one did, so I'm not as worried.
I now need to connect up my 6021 to test the EcosSniffer.
DT