Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Howard1975  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2011 06:56:23(UTC)
Howard1975

United States   
Hello, I just joined this forum today. I have a few questions about Marklin HO scale trains. I'm very new to Marklin trains, I'm looking for advice.

A little background about me. I have been active in this wonderful hobby for the past 25 or so years, since I was a kid. Most of my experience is with American type model trains, such as Atlas, Kato and Athearn, etc. I have also dabbled with Lionel. But I'm very new with Marklin. About a year ago, I received a couple Marklin catalogs for free (they are 1999-2000 and 2006 catalogs), which have been very helpful and informative. I have also seen the 1935-2010 catalogs available for pdf download, from this and other websites. For equipment, I have a Marklin 33043 German State Railroad Company (DRG) class 80 tank switch engine with a Delta decoder, a Delta-Control 4f (66045) controller, and a 6001 Transformer (120 Volts, 42VA), and a small amount of very old M track. I have enough track to make the proverbial oval, but that's about it. I don't have any switches (turnouts/points) or anything else.

Should I stay with my M track and acquire more pieces to make a nice layout, or switch to K or C track? I fully realize it's ultimately my decision to make, but I'm open to any and all advice. I don't earn a lot of money, but I'm also thinking long term. I don't want to make a costly mistake now, which I would regret later on. For the moment, I would like to stay with my Delta 4f controller. It works fine and serves my needs just fine, which is good enough for me.

Since I'm selling my DC powered trains to finance my Marklin purchases, I'll soon have a little bit of money to play with. Once I sell all my remaining DC powered stuff, I'll be able to buy some Marklin switches and more track, a second locomotive, and some freight cars.

My question is, should I convert to K or C track, or stay with the M track? What are the pros and cons of each? I'll be building a small layout, around 48 x 80 inches in size.

Also, I don't intend to run any analog locomotives, only Delta and the Motorola/Marklin Digital stuff (with the internal coding dip switches). But I'm also curious, do the mfx locos operate with a Delta 4f controller? When I look at the pictures in my catalogs, I can't see any coding dip switches on the mfx decoder, to modify the address. By the way, I don't have any other controllers, only the Delta 4f.

Any suggestions and/or comments? Advice?

Thank you,

Howard

Edited by user 01 October 2015 14:28:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline SINCrazee  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2011 07:31:29(UTC)
SINCrazee

Originally Posted by: Howard1975 Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I just joined this forum today. I have a few questions about Marklin HO scale trains. I'm very new to Marklin trains, I'm looking for advice.

A little background about me. I have been active in this wonderful hobby for the past 25 or so years, since I was a kid. Most of my experience is with American type model trains, such as Atlas, Kato and Athearn, etc. I have also dabbled with Lionel. But I'm very new with Marklin. About a year ago, I received a couple Marklin catalogs for free (they are 1999-2000 and 2006 catalogs), which have been very helpful and informative. I have also seen the 1935-2010 catalogs available for pdf download, from this and other websites. For equipment, I have a Marklin 33043 German State Railroad Company (DRG) class 80 tank switch engine with a Delta decoder, a Delta-Control 4f (66045) controller, and a 6001 Transformer (120 Volts, 42VA), and a small amount of very old M track. I have enough track to make the proverbial oval, but that's about it. I don't have any switches (turnouts/points) or anything else.

Should I stay with my M track and acquire more pieces to make a nice layout, or switch to K or C track? I fully realize it's ultimately my decision to make, but I'm open to any and all advice. I don't earn a lot of money, but I'm also thinking long term. I don't want to make a costly mistake now, which I would regret later on. For the moment, I would like to stay with my Delta 4f controller. It works fine and serves my needs just fine, which is good enough for me.

Since I'm selling my DC powered trains to finance my Marklin purchases, I'll soon have a little bit of money to play with. Once I sell all my remaining DC powered stuff, I'll be able to buy some Marklin switches and more track, a second locomotive, and some freight cars.

My question is, should I convert to K or C track, or stay with the M track? What are the pros and cons of each? I'll be building a small layout, around 48 x 80 inches in size.

Also, I don't intend to run any analog locomotives, only Delta and the Motorola/Marklin Digital stuff (with the internal coding dip switches). But I'm also curious, do the mfx locos operate with a Delta 4f controller? When I look at the pictures in my catalogs, I can't see any coding dip switches on the mfx decoder, to modify the address. By the way, I don't have any other controllers, only the Delta 4f.

Any suggestions and/or comments? Advice?

Thank you,

Howard

Hello..
Welcome to the forum... I suggest you convert to C-track as firstly it 's very robust , secondly , it has been coated with ballast to make it look realistic. Thirdly , you can hide the turnout decoders and all those stuff under the trackbed and also it has good electric connections..(It 's through my experiences with them) The MFX locomotives do work with Delta but unfortunately , the functions will be very much of limited and of course , another set back is that the instruction manual don't show clearly on how to operate an MFX locomotive with 6021(Control Unit) and Delta , you will have to figure it yourself. And since if you want to run both digital(With or w/o MFX) and Delta locomotives , I suggest you buy the new MS2 controller starter set . You can store up to 10 locomotives with it and it can control up to 16 functions and also gives you the opportunity to control turnouts from the controller itself. And since you want a new train and a layout as well , why not get the MS2 starter sets which are pleasing to the eye..
If you 're budget is around USD400 , you may want to consider getting this.This locomotive comes with an FX Digital decoder,which can be recognized in the database of the MS2
http://www.eurorailhobbi...amp;pr=3&stock=29450
Or you have a slightly bigger budget , you can choose to have the following items below.
The Swiss Freight train with a nice locomotive as well and a bigger track loop.(WITH MFX decoder)
http://www.eurorailhobbi...mp;ca=14&stock=29483
The High speed ICE 2 four unit with bigger track loop.
http://www.eurorailhobbi...amp;ca=14&stock=2979
And if you would like to have a advance loop with two trains at once(And all with MFX , these are the available sets for you.)
Mega Digital Start set with two MS2 and a rather big track loop..
http://www.eurorailhobbi...amp;pr=5&stock=29094
Mega start set with a central station and large track layout..
http://www.eurorailhobbi...amp;pr=5&stock=29440
http://www.eurorailhobbi...amp;pr=5&stock=29500
http://www.eurorailhobbi...amp;pr=5&stock=29814

The choices are endless!!
Cheers
Chan
C-track carpetbahn, R1 ,R2,R3 with MS2 and a CS2 plus Marklin and HAG trains..
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2011 08:53:49(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Howard,

If you have recently come from the two rail world, then you should consider the K track, as it will allow continue using flex track that you are no doubt used to having available.

The Delta 4F is a good little controller to get you going. It is only limited in the extended functions, and of course the number of loco's, but otherwise works very well.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2011 09:04:53(UTC)
H0

Hi, Howard,

The pros about M track are: nostalgia and (maybe) price (but your trains are rather modern, so nostalgia probably doesn't count here).
C track is better with respect to operation and availability (but don't buy pre-2002 C track from second hand).

Modern digital locomotives (mfx or fx without DIP switches) work fine with your Delta Control, but you won't be able to change the address. So make sure the seller sets an appropriate address for you.
The IR controller from starter sets can be used to change addresses. Just in case you see a cheap one from a split starter set and are determined to cling to your Delta Control ...

If you ever buy a loco with sound, better get an MS2 to operate your trains.

A Delta Control 4f was my start into the digital MRR world. Later I connected it to a PC and used the freeware DDW (Digital Direct for Windows, there also is DDL for Linux) to control my trains.
DDW allowed me to bypass the 5 loco limit of the DC and also allowed me to switch long-distance headlights and horn of my first C sine loco.
Eventually I got tired of booting a PC to run my trains and bought an Intellibox (MS wasn't "born" yet).

You might skip the DDW phase and go for an MS.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2011 09:38:16(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Howard,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Elukka  
#6 Posted : 27 February 2011 18:36:55(UTC)
Elukka

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
C track is better with respect to operation and availability (but don't buy pre-2002 C track from second hand).

What's the problem with pre-2002 track, and how would you tell how old it is?
Offline Ian555  
#7 Posted : 27 February 2011 18:57:22(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Howard,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

(M track layout.)
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 27 February 2011 19:21:08(UTC)
Webmaster

If you only have a little oval of M-track, maybe C is the way to go in the future.
"2-rail" wagons will probably run fine on C- or K-track too, while they might struggle a bit with M.

However, there is plenty of M-track around second hand to keep you supplied.

On the digital controller side, things have moved forward since the 6021 and Delta controller times regarding available model functions, sounds and such so maybe a more modern controller would maybe be preferred in the end.

However, you can still run the latest loks on a conventional analog layout too. Without the extra goodies as controllable functions, but they will run...

The main thing is to think a lot, to ask around a lot, and try what feels best to you...
There is no need to hurry into a decision, nor to follow the "latest" developments, it's all up to you to how you want it.

What we can do, is give our own experiences in the matter but in the end it's up to you to decide which route to follow. Some guys say "buy the best & latest" but that might not be the right thing for everyone right now due to what you already have, finances, interests and other things that may be obstacles for that "perfect" layout.

And the most important thing, you can always change your mind while you go along... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 27 February 2011 20:55:48(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Elukka Go to Quoted Post

The plastic of old track pieces can become brittle.
Under the track bed there is a marking, similar to a clock, that indicates year and month of production.

Brittle tracks are a problem if you change the layout often (e. g. a "carpetbahn"). No problem with a permanent layout.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline SINCrazee  
#10 Posted : 27 February 2011 22:43:13(UTC)
SINCrazee

Originally Posted by: Elukka Go to Quoted Post

The plastic of old track pieces can become brittle.
Under the track bed there is a marking, similar to a clock, that indicates year and month of production.

Brittle tracks are a problem if you change the layout often (e. g. a "carpetbahn"). No problem with a permanent layout.

It 's true.. My pre-2002 C-tracks are extremely brittle on the plastic , it break easily. Whatever , it is , I will still enjoy a layout with good electric connections.. Planning to replace old C-track with new C-track though...
Offline Howard1975  
#11 Posted : 28 February 2011 05:50:56(UTC)
Howard1975

United States   
Wow, I was not expecting so many replies. I have a lot to consider and think about, before I spend any more of my money. Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. I appreciate it.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, I need to consider all my options. At this time I'm busy selling my two rail collection, so for the time being, I have plenty of time to think about my choices, before I make any purchases.

In the short term, I believe staying with M track would be a little cheaper, compared to C track. But I think long term, the C track might have better electrical continuity. Plus I have read at this forum, other brands of Marklin compatible equipment operate better on C track, compared to the older M track. I'm more concerned with compatibility, reliability and durability -- compared to nostalgia or cheapest price.

If I was going to operate older analog locomotives and older accessories, I would certainly stay with M track for the nostalgic look. But since my plan is operating digital locomotives and newer accessories, would converting to C track be better for me?

I know in the long term, I would love to have sound equipped locomotives, so perhaps getting a starter set with a Mobile Station 2 will be a good investment for the future. All those extra features and functions would be very helpful, to control a sound equipped locomotive.

If I get a new set with a Mobile Station 2, should I sell my Delta 4f controller? I would naturally keep my 6001 transformer, even if I sold my delta 4f controller. Besides using it to power lights and accessories, what can I do with my 6001, if I get a Mobile Station 2 to operate the trains? Could it be used as a booster?

Regards,

Howard
Offline Ranjit  
#12 Posted : 28 February 2011 06:15:49(UTC)
Ranjit

Welcome to the foru, Howard!

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 28 February 2011 09:25:54(UTC)
H0

Could it be used as a booster?

A Delta 4f can be used as a booster.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline SINCrazee  
#14 Posted : 28 February 2011 10:13:21(UTC)
SINCrazee

Or even the transformer for powering the layout lights power supply..
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 28 February 2011 11:14:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: SINCrazee Go to Quoted Post
Or even the transformer for powering the layout lights power supply..

That's what Howard already knew, he asked about boosters ... Wink
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Howard1975  
#16 Posted : 28 February 2011 22:47:24(UTC)
Howard1975

United States   

That is good to know, the delta 4f could be used as a booster.

Thank you Tom,

Regards,

Howard
Offline hxmiesa  
#17 Posted : 01 March 2011 10:01:20(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
In your case I would start with a new starter-set; C-track and MS2 controller.
Get rid of your M-track.
Your BR80 Detla-loco will will work with the MS2 controller.
The 42VA trafo will be useful for light- and accessory power in the future.
Be prepared to pay quite a lot more for the things, than you are used to.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 01 March 2011 10:16:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Welcome to the forum Howard.

I have also seen the 1935-2010 catalogs available for pdf download, from this and other websites.

I guess I should think about uploading the 2011 catalog some time as well.
Offline gachar001  
#19 Posted : 01 March 2011 17:23:42(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Welcome to the forum Howard.
As many people suggested, the way to go would be to get a new start set with the MS2.

Many of the locos without sound can be converted to sound by adding a Loksound 3.5 decoder. For example, the loco which comes with the 29450 start set can be converted very easily. You would need to do some simple soldering though. And the decoder costs around US$120.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline Robert Davies  
#20 Posted : 01 March 2011 19:24:50(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Welcome Howard!

I am a pretty new member around here too and I asked the same quetion about C or K track. Here's the thread https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...-C-track.aspx#post264552 and I got some useful answers.

Enjoy your model railroading!
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
Offline KeithL4Marklin  
#21 Posted : 02 March 2011 17:00:21(UTC)
KeithL4Marklin

Hello Howard.

Welcome to the forum.

It is nice to get into the hobby of Marklin. Marklin is simply the best!

For a long time Marklin has had a reputation for being one of the producers of the finest model railway equipment that you can find almost anywhere - both in terms of detail and durability. As a person who is new to Marklin, there are some things that you might like to know about the different series of locomotives Marklin has to offer.

Your locomotive is of item no. 33043, so it is an item of the 33xxx-series of locomotives.

Today, Marklin has locomotives of the 36xxx, 37xxx, and 39xxx-series of locomotives. For the most part, they have metal bodies and chassis, but here are the differences:

-The 36xxx-series are for beginners and have, for the most part, plastic gearing and plastic bogie gearboxes. They also have cast-on details like the door handles, the railing next to the doors, and the grills on the roof. For the most part, these beginner models have ordinary can motors, which are available as spares.

The 37xxx-series and the 39xxx-series are of the higher-end of locomotives and, for the most part, metal gearing and metal bogie gearboxes and have separately-applied details.

The 37xxx-series have either a five-pole DCM motor or five-pole can motor, while the 39-xxx series of locomotives are of a higher premium and have the Softdrive Sine motor which is a more compact form of can motor which is advertised as "the smallest size possible", but "with the greastest performance possible".
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 02 March 2011 17:35:26(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: KeithL4Marklin Go to Quoted Post
Today, Marklin has locomotives of the 36xxx, 37xxx, and 39xxx-series of locomotives.

36xxx also includes finely detailed models such as the Glaskasten locomotive and former 37xxx models with 5-pole DCM.
37xxx also includes some models with Softdrive Sinus.

So don't just look at the number, check the description in the catalogue.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline KeithL4Marklin  
#23 Posted : 02 March 2011 17:43:24(UTC)
KeithL4Marklin

Hello Howard.

Sorry that I have to post this message again, because it as inadvertently sent when I was not finished.

But once again, welcome to the forum.

It is nice to get into the hobby of Marklin. Marklin is simply the best!

For a long time Marklin has had a reputation for being one of the producers of the finest model railway equipment that you can find almost anywhere - both in terms of detail and durability. As a person who is new to Marklin, there are some things that you might like to know about the different series of locomotives Marklin has to offer.

Your locomotive is of item no. 33043, so it is an item of the 33xxx-series of locomotives.

Today, Marklin has locomotives of the 36xxx, 37xxx, and 39xxx-series of locomotives. For the most part, they have metal bodies and chassis, but here are the differences:

-The 36xxx-series are for beginners and have, for the most part, plastic gearing and plastic bogie gearboxes. They also have cast-on details like the door handles, the railing next to the doors, and the grills on the roof. For the most part, these beginner models have ordinary can motors, which are available as spares.

-The 37xxx-series and the 39xxx-series are of the higher-end of locomotives and, for the most part, metal gearing and metal bogie gearboxes and have separately-applied details and sharper details.

-The 37xxx-series have either a five-pole DCM motor or five-pole can motor, while the 39-xxx series of locomotives are of an even higher premium and have the Softdrive Sine motor which is a more compact form of can motor which is advertised as "the smallest size possible", but "with the greastest performance possible".

The DCM motor requires maintenance in the form of changing of the brushes, but the five-pole can motor and the Softdrive Sine motor are maintenance-free. For the DCM motor, the armature is also available as a spare part. But for the five pole can motor and Softdrive Sine motor, the whole motor itself can be availabe as a spare.

There are some exceptions with regards to locomotives. Some of the 36xxx-series of locomotives will have metal gearing and metal bogie gearboxes, but with a plastic body. Some of the locomotives that come the starter sets will be of the 36xxx-series. There are starter sets that come with the 37xxx-series of locomtives, but at a higher price. The 39xxx-series can be found part of a set but without tracks or power pack - they will never be part of a starter set because they are locomotives of a higher premium.

Mind you, the beginner models of the 36xxx-series can be nice models. You might not notice it at the beginning, but these entry-level European models can have better details than the high-end North American models. I have a Marklin 36xxx-series electric locomotive of item no. 36836. It has cast-on details, like the door handles, the side hand rails, and grill on the roof. But these cast on details are more visually-defined by having silver paint neatly applied to them. Even the grills on the roof are distinctly, sharply, and neatly applied or painted on.

I also have two electric locomotives of the 37xxx-series of item nos. 37312 and 37539. They have separately-applied details like the side hand rails and other separately-applied details on the roof. But the details like the door handles are even more sharply and physically-defined than that of the 36xxx-series.

Sorry about the length of this message, but I hope this helps.

Keith Lailann - Toronto, Canada

Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 02 March 2011 21:45:21(UTC)
H0

The 39xxx-series can be found part of a set but without tracks or power pack - they will never be part of a starter set because they are locomotives of a higher premium.

They came in premium starter sets in the past (e. g. #29680 with an SDS crocodile).

Sorry that I have to post this message again, because it as inadvertently sent when I was not finished.

There is an Edit button that allows to edit posts.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TimR  
#25 Posted : 03 March 2011 03:46:13(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

I know in the long term, I would love to have sound equipped locomotives, so perhaps getting a starter set with a Mobile Station 2 will be a good investment for the future. All those extra features and functions would be very helpful, to control a sound equipped locomotive.

Just a note,
Generally, sound-equipped locomotives from Marklin are more competitively priced compared to that of other brands.

Older pre-MFX model usually only have limited sound options and/or do not have a very good sound quality - this is due to the limitations of the decoders fitted at the time. Most models can be retrofitted with modern full sound decoders.

Note also that many newer MFX electric locomotive (E-lok) models with 'Sound' symbol only comes with limited sound functions (eg: horn, and/or station announcement). MFX diesels steamers with sound symbol usually will have an outstanding sound quality.

Consult with the Marklin product database often, and if in doubt, ask here.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline Howard1975  
#26 Posted : 03 March 2011 06:10:50(UTC)
Howard1975

United States   
Hello everyone,

Thank you everyone, for all the information you have posted. It's been a huge help for me. I have also been reading many pages on this forum, and various other Marklin related websites, and pouring over Marklin literature and catalogs.

I have decided for the time being, I'm going to stay with my Delta 4f controller. Later in the future, perhaps I might purchase a starter set with a MS2, or CS2, or perhaps get a ECoS, Intellibox, or something else that will operate Marklin trains. I'll have to think about that decision, at the time. But right now, I'm sticking with my Delta 4f controller. I don't see myself purchasing more then two or three extra locomotives in the next few years anyway, since I'm building a small layout. Due to space and financial constraints, that is all I can afford. Because of that, I believe that my Delta 4f will be sufficient for my needs, for the foreseeable future.

Marklin equipment is much more expensive then the 2-rail trains I'm familiar with. I'm used to buying a HO scale freight car for between $4-15 dollars, and locomotives between $30 and $100 dollars each. I'm not complaining, I know that's the way it is with Marklin. I just need to budget my money wisely.

I have also decided to switch to C track, and get rid of my M track. It will probably be a few months before I can begin on my new layout. I have other more important projects to finish first.

Regards,

Howard

Offline jvuye  
#27 Posted : 03 March 2011 07:19:33(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hello everyone,

Thank you everyone, for all the information you have posted. It's been a huge help for me. I have also been reading many pages on this forum, and various other Marklin related websites, and pouring over Marklin literature and catalogs.

I have decided for the time being, I'm going to stay with my Delta 4f controller. Later in the future, perhaps I might purchase a starter set with a MS2, or CS2, or perhaps get a ECoS, Intellibox, or something else that will operate Marklin trains. I'll have to think about that decision, at the time. But right now, I'm sticking with my Delta 4f controller. I don't see myself purchasing more then two or three extra locomotives in the next few years anyway, since I'm building a small layout. Due to space and financial constraints, that is all I can afford. Because of that, I believe that my Delta 4f will be sufficient for my needs, for the foreseeable future.

Marklin equipment is much more expensive then the 2-rail trains I'm familiar with. I'm used to buying a HO scale freight car for between $4-15 dollars, and locomotives between $30 and $100 dollars each. I'm not complaining, I know that's the way it is with Marklin. I just need to budget my money wisely.

I have also decided to switch to C track, and get rid of my M track. It will probably be a few months before I can begin on my new layout. I have other more important projects to finish first.

Regards,

Howard

Wise!
Märklin will compensate its higher prices with better durability and usability (but you knew that already !Wink )
Knowing that, you may also consider buying second hand equipment (e.g. eBay, etc).
Maybe you could join ETE ( www.ete.org ) which has regular meetings all over the US including "swap" sessions.
The Chicagoland chapter is particularly dynamic...(I know many of these guys!)so you are in luck!
PlugSmile : When I lived in the California, ETE made my hobby just the more enjoyable, and anyone also benefited from the experience of other members!
Just a thought!
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Howard1975  
#28 Posted : 01 October 2015 14:22:46(UTC)
Howard1975

United States   
Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but it's a thread I started, from a few years ago. I have an update.

I recently ordered a Marklin / Primex HO 3196, 0-8-0, BR 81 003 type steam locomotive. I just ordered it about 24 hours ago, I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

I believe the Primex 3196 is basically the same loco as the Marklin 3031, is that true? Based on my research, I'm assuming the Primex 3196 has a regular AC analog motor and mechanical reversing unit, is equipped with Telex couplers, and is completely metal, just like it's Marklin 3031 cousin. Is that all true?

I guess I'll find out soon enough when it arrives in the mail.

In other news, I don't have my Delta equipped Marklin 33043 anymore. I sold it almost a year ago.

I have decided to go completely analog control with locomotives made mostly from the 1950's - 1980's, without any of the MM, Delta, MFX, mLD, ESU, or Uhlenbrock decoders, etc. I just want simple and reliable trains, I can cheaply and easily repair and do routine maintenance on myself, as needed. I don't want to damage or destroy an expensive and delicate digital decoder, or weld the wheels to the track, because of an overload or short circuit.

I have two analog transformers (type with blue plastic case, from the 1970s and 1980's era), which both work fine. I have a 10VA and a 30VA, plenty for my needs currently.

Due to my present living situation, all I can do is make temporary carpet bahn layouts. Because of this, and a lot of reading, I have fully decided to use C track from Marklin. I still have some M track, but it's the very old stuff from the 1950's, labeled on the bottom with the 3600 series numbers, the type made in 1956. It's not bad looking considering its age, but some pieces are rusted or bent, and many have very loose fitting rail joiners.

Time to upgrade to C track for my carpet bahn empires. I believe it will be better suited for my needs, compared to staying with M track.

Whenever I'm able to build a permanent layout, especially any medium or large layout, I'll probably go with a combination of C and K tracks. I would use K track for sweeping curves using the flex track, and in yards especially because of the 7286 turntable uses K track leads. And any C track I own can be used along with the K track.

I'm completely getting out of all other model trains (2 rail DC HO and N scale), and will focus exclusively on Marklin analog 3-rail AC trains. Using modern C or K tracks, mostly all metal body vintage analog locomotives for easy repairs and maintenance, quality, strength, durability and pulling power of those old vintage locomotives. And honestly I like the easy wiring of reverse loops, Wyes and turntables I can achieve with Marklin 3 rail, compared to typical 2 rail track. Especially when you consider using analog controls, instead of DCC / Digital.

Even though Marklin is not the cheapest, and I'm on a tight budget, I have plenty of 2 rail HO and N scale stuff to sell, even some O-27 Lionel, to finance my Marklin purchases. I will not need to spend any money, out of my wallet. At least not right now.

Regards,

Howard
Offline hxmiesa  
#29 Posted : 01 October 2015 15:53:00(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Nice to hear from you again. Glad that you are still enjoying your trains.
Good idea to go with C-track.
I am surprised that you have chosen analog! -I made the same choice, though.
You could consider using the soft 24912 curve to make sweeping curves with C-track. It would probably greatly ease the job, compared to combining C and K. Also K is not suitable for carpetbahning at all!
That way a couple of C-to-K adapter tracks and a few straight K-tracks would be enough to connect the current turntable to the layout. Or wait a little, and go with the new C-track turntable, once it comes out...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Howard1975  
#30 Posted : 02 October 2015 10:36:29(UTC)
Howard1975

United States   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Nice to hear from you again. Glad that you are still enjoying your trains.
Good idea to go with C-track.
I am surprised that you have chosen analog! -I made the same choice, though.
You could consider using the soft 24912 curve to make sweeping curves with C-track. It would probably greatly ease the job, compared to combining C and K. Also K is not suitable for carpetbahning at all!
That way a couple of C-to-K adapter tracks and a few straight K-tracks would be enough to connect the current turntable to the layout. Or wait a little, and go with the new C-track turntable, once it comes out...

Thank you,

I would not be using K track for carpet bahning, only something suitable like C track. I meant in my previous post, I would only use K track on a permanent layout, that is usually made on wooden benchwork, or thick foamboard, or shelving, etc. I would not use K track on the floor or carpet. I know C track will stay together better, compared to K track.

I have no experience with K or C tracks, I have never owned or used either one. And I don't have any turntable either. Just a small amount of very old M track, from about 1956. I have almost enough to make two ovals.

I'm only thinking about possible future purchases, what is practical and suitable for me, and within my budget. For that reason, for the time being, I'll be staying with vintage analog locomotives. They are cheaper to buy, and also cheaper to repair and maintain. And I already own two blue plastic Marklin transformers, that is cheaper then a full digital system.

I expect C track to be a little more expensive compared to M track. I have no problem with that, if I gain something from it. From what I have read, C track has better electrical continuity and reliability compared to M track, and is tighter fitting (which is good for temporary layouts on the floor). And is much harder to rust, since it's a plastic base and stainless steel rails. And I have read, there is less tendency for equipment to derail on C track, compared to M track.

And yes I know I can use the wide radius 24912 curves available in C track, to make sweeping curves. They are quite wide at 1114.6 mm / 43-7/8”, which I admit would be very nice for sweeping curves. It's something I would need to think about, when the time comes.

Howard