Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2011 00:04:08(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
The layout I am building will have 3 loop wire. 1st feeds the passenger trains, 2nd feeds the freight and 3rd feeds power to turnouts, lights etc. At this moment I sent power through the CS2 to loop 1 and 2 but will eventually separate (maybe a MS or another booster). I use a booster and transformer to power loop 3.

I have two S88's and I connect reed switches on the passenger and freight line to either - which ever is closer. Does it matter which loop wire I use as a ground? My understanding is that the CS feeds power to the S88 and to the reeds through the ribbon of the S88. Can I use the ground on any loop? Does it make any difference on the current demand on the CS?

Just for completeness, I do not use the T on the S88. Never got the reeds to work that way. I use a distribution switch to connect all the returns and then connect the distributions strip to the loop wire.

Thanks.
Offline Nielsenr  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2011 06:42:22(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I am not sure how you have yours setup, but let me explain mine. On my floor layout I have basically two parallel tracks and a yard. The CS2 feeds on of the parallel tracks and a booster/power supply feeds the other parallel track. I did isolate the yard to run a second booster/power supply if needed but for now it is jumpered to the one of the parallel tracks. I use a second booster/power supply to run signals and K83s and K84s. I had some problems with digital signals (76XXX) and an apparent "noisy" loco when they were connected to the power from the tracks so I just ran them off of a separate booster/power supply. I use home made contact tracks to feed to the S88. I do not use the T connection on the S88. I run one wire from the "isolated" rail of the contact track back to the S88. Power drain is minimal. I do not think it should make a difference which ground you use for your reed contacts, just always use the same one. If you are using the 60173 boosters, you have to keep the grounds isolated and if you ended up tying them together for the reed switches I think you would defeat the purpose of keeping them isolated on the tracks. Maybe someone who uses reed contacts could shine some light on their setup.

Robert
Offline Harvey  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2011 20:13:29(UTC)
Harvey

United States   

>I asked this to Tom Catherall. His reply is below
>
> Tom,
>
> My questions pertain to the S88 when there are mutliple power sources.
>
> I am setting up a freight line, passenger line each having their own current feed. As an example, my CS2 (60214) (and transformer) will feed power to the passenger line and a booster (maybe the 60173) will feed power to the freight line. I will use an older booster (6017) to power switching tracks, K83 and lights. So, a total of three transformers isolated from each other. I have 2 S88's and 20 reeds. My reeds are set up as follow: 1 gray wire from reed to S88 and 2nd gray wire to distribution strip which returns via brown wire to ground. (I believe not pertainant to the question but the reeds don't work when I use the invert T on the S88). All equipment is marklin.
>
> Do I have to use a single ground (only the CS2)? That is both S88 return to the CS2 ground. Can I connect reeds from the passenger and freight to a single S88 - ie, which ever is close and not be concerned with which track it is on? I don't see how I have 1 S88 for freight and 1 for passenger (for gound) as both are connected to the CS2.

The grounjds will all be the same, just plug your s88 into the CS2 and use your track conntacts on any line.

Tom Catherall