Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GSRR  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2010 20:46:23(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
I'm wondering if anyone has come across a comparison table for layout control software? Many of you are familiar with the comparison table of different Central Stations and controllers, but my search for something similar has come up empty.

Mostly interested in Railroad & Co., Rocrail, and iTrain.

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Piper  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2010 22:51:33(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
Offline GSRR  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2010 23:00:43(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Piper wrote:

Pieter,

Thank you very much. I knew I had seen this before, just could not place it.

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Piper  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2010 00:13:04(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
ThumpUp Thomas,

Pleasure, I also had to do a bit of a search. I'm trying Rocrail now, it is compatable with CS2 and the digital car system MCC from Leon van Perlo. WinDigipet is also CS2 compatable. You can get demos of WD & the real thing with Rocrail of their web pages.

I have friends who use RR&Co and they swear by it. I think it is fiddly because they use a USB dongle and Freiwald does not do anything about CS2. That makes it unusable to me.

I think you can also look at Fredrik's RailnetThumpUp http://www.railnet.se

Piper
Offline GSRR  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2010 00:55:07(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Piper wrote:
ThumpUp Thomas,

Pleasure, I also had to do a bit of a search. I'm trying Rocrail now, it is compatable with CS2 and the digital car system MCC from Leon van Perlo. WinDigipet is also CS2 compatable. You can get demos of WD & the real thing with Rocrail of their web pages.

I have friends who use RR&Co and they swear by it. I think it is fiddly because they use a USB dongle and Freiwald does not do anything about CS2. That makes it unusable to me.

I think you can also look at Fredrik's RailnetThumpUp http://www.railnet.se

Piper

Pieter,

RR&co certainly is the granddaddy, but it maybe to much for what I need, and price is a drawback. Certainly the lack of CS2 support is a major disincentive.

Rocrail, well I like the price. BigGrin Major concern is the geek factor. By that I mean I have zero hard skills with programming, and wonder how steep the learning curve may be for someone with limited computer programming skills.

What is your skill background, how do you find Rocrail to work with? I also like that they have a mobile controller application.

I find iTrain interesting, like to see some more feedback from users. Not sure it will operate to a timetable though?

Nice set of wings you got.

Regards,

Thomas

Offline Piper  
#6 Posted : 24 May 2010 01:18:13(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
Thomas,

Yes, Rocrail is cheap & I think give it a try. You do not need rocketscience as a major to run it. You must just make sure the Computer and the contoller talk to each other.Scared You will gain valuable experience in the process.BigGrin

I had major problems trying to get the iPhone app. It has mostly to do with the fact that Apple is a bit nasty with their iStore. They do not publish the iRoc app on the South African web & then they charge extortionist fees to the software developer to put it their even if the app is freeCursing Cursing Cursing I do have my way in the endLOL LOL LOL

Have fun

Pieter