Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#51 Posted : 19 August 2008 01:33:30(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I think I will move to China instead of Monument Valley.

Ranjit I admire your enthusiasm and its your thread so if you can raise the cash to buy M we will support you. Remember to send all the German workers to China where they can enjoy their new life and bring in some of the poor folk from the USA who will do anything to stick wheels on coaches.

On a more serious note items being made in China are not all bad but when it comes to toy trains it does seem variable. I think Brawa stuff is Chinese and as far as I know all here who own their locos are happy with the quality. It is a matter of ensuring that the firm in China are doing a good job. Brawa is more expensive than Marklin and perhaps they pay more for the manufacture of their models.
And yes I have no problem recommending Brawa or HAG as I find them to be excellent. I still buy more Marklin stuff but I enjoy model rail as a hobby and while it is 80% Marklin the other 20% is just as important as is Faller and Vollmer and Noch etc.
One thing I will never be is serious about toy trains they are for fun and relaxation and at the end of the day if they dont come from Marklin then I will happily buy elsewhere but hopefully it wont come to that.
David

PS should I add copyright to my posts to ensure they are not printed again in the forum lol OK Juhan just kidding.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Ranjit  
#52 Posted : 19 August 2008 02:01:26(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Lutz,

Just because Marklin is manufacturing in China doesn't mean that a large number of Chinese are going to buy Marklin. Future sales depends entirely on the effective positioning of the product and marketing. Is Marklin actually doing this in China or are they simply making stuff there because labor is cheap? The qustion is by manufacturing in China have the products become any cheaper?

When I was at Charles Ro Supply Co. yesterday, I did not see any effects of 'weak economy', 'excessive workforce reductions', 'banks crashing', 'houses gone' or 'low public train presence'. In fact, what I saw was a large number of people buying stuff, but unfortunately, not Marklin. Marklin was actually on its way out. In order to change this, we really need to lower prices, improve quality and increase brand awareness to make Marklin as attractive as possible so that buyers worldwide (not just in Europe) will be interested.

To acquire and operate a company such as Marklin is by no means an easy task. With the great minds in this group and with the combined experience that we all possess, I think the task of running this business will not be so hard.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline Ranjit  
#53 Posted : 19 August 2008 02:19:04(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi David,

You know very well that I can't raise the capital all by myself. If I could I won't be proposing this idea to all of you in the forum. I want all of us to be a part of this great effort.

I know a little bit about Chinese manufacturing. Unless Marklin manufactures its items exactly the same way they do in Germany and maintain the strict QC in China, I am sure the products will not be the same and it will impact the brand that has been built over a 150 years. By the looks of it, I don't think this is being done. Remember the Chinese toy recall recently? Do we want this to happen to Marklin?

I am glad that Marklin is giving you lots of fun and relaxation at the end of the day. I am sure that this has been the case with all of us. I hope that this will continue.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Offline mjrallare  
#54 Posted : 19 August 2008 02:23:44(UTC)
mjrallare

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
Low price and high quality - I hear and read this phrase every day.

It's not just a phrase Lutz! It's an ongoing process that takes place every day.wink

But when it comes to Märklin I'm willing to accept that they are in an economically strained situation, and pay a high price for a high quality. (Märklin is actually quite cheap in Sweden nowadays compared to the prices we had to pay ten years ago.)
No, I'm more worried about the quality. Or, maybe more correct, the inconsistency of the quality. Because the quality is there, it's just not evenly distributed.

So there you go Ranjit! Put that down as number one on your "to do list".biggrin

/Torbjörn
Offline Ranjit  
#55 Posted : 19 August 2008 02:33:12(UTC)
Ranjit

Thank you for your support, Torbjörn. You are a good man!

Chinese manufacturing has never been the greatest. It may be cheapest, but it is not the greatest. Some of Marklin trains are over 50 years old and as soon as I put them on a track they run flawlessly. Tell me one Chinese made product that can do that and I will shut up.

Let's see how Lutz repsonds.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline David Dewar  
#56 Posted : 19 August 2008 17:45:38(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Ranjit : I think you have to accept that nobody here will contribute to buying Marklin. Its a bit like buying an ice cream factory in the middle of the artic.
We know that the firm has to change to survive and there are a few signs that it might. The Insider Club is no longer the joke it was as it now is delivering to most people what they expect and if systems can be replaced with a better CS complete with boosters thne that is another step forward. Many will agree with you about older M products being better than those available now but the new products i have bought I find to be pretty good (wherever they are made) but I am now careful what I buy and wait until a product is on the market and found to be reliable.
Your enthusiasm is great but it takes other things to make business successful.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Ranjit  
#57 Posted : 19 August 2008 18:53:33(UTC)
Ranjit

Thank you David, Lutz, Torbjörn, Guus, Larry, Pietro, Ray, Gary, Cem, Mike C., Roland, Pat, David (bigdaddynz), Gautham, Geoff, Tony, Troy, Spitzenklasse, Goofy and Kimball for participating in this thread! Its been fun chatting with you guys.

With just a response rate of 1.1 %, I am still wondering what the remaining 98.9 % thought of this idea?

No doubt, I am sad to conclude that buyin Marklin is beyond our reach. With Juhan still in his 'pyjamas'; Goofy having only '1 Euro' to spend; Per saying that we are not 'an important category' for Marklin although we are all collectors in a way; and Lutz believing that Marklin is doing the 'right thing' and it is difficult to run a business like Marklin, I don't know what else to say except that we are missing a 'great' opportunity.

There seems to be some hope that Marklin is taking corrective action and we will see improvements in the future. Well, only time will tell. In the meantime, I will do what David does which is 'be careful what I buy and wait until a product is on the market and found to be reliable'. I have never had to do this in the past with Marklin.

Thank you all once again.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline David Dewar  
#58 Posted : 19 August 2008 19:40:26(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Ranjit sorry you did not get the response you were looking for. If Stephen (steventrain) had still been with us I am sure he would have supported your venture.

David
Offline Ranjit  
#59 Posted : 19 August 2008 19:44:51(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi David,

Where has Stephen gone to?

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Guus  
#60 Posted : 19 August 2008 19:56:28(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Ranjit,

Like David,I'm also sorry you didn't get the response you were looking for,especially from such a dedicated and enthusiastic group of Märklin afficionados i think we all are.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Ranjit  
#61 Posted : 19 August 2008 20:04:35(UTC)
Ranjit

Thank you for your kind remarks, David and Guus. I hope that the grandeur of Marklin will be back to where it was.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Ranjit  
#62 Posted : 19 August 2008 22:23:50(UTC)
Ranjit

Okay, now I know why Stephen left. Never had a word with him, but I know he was a good man.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated