Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Darren W  
#1 Posted : 13 December 2008 19:12:34(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I have found documentation that shows how to use a Delta 6604 with a transformer as a simple booster. I also believe that this booster does not support MFX. If I was to use a Mobile Station to control my trains (some of which are MFX and some Delta) what affect would this have?

One thing I am not sure about with boosters. Do you create a new power block with the track isolated from the other areas? I understand that the booster is there to supply power and pass along the digital information that it is given. Do you have to isolate the centre rail or common rails?

I am still trying to wrap my head around the workings of a booster.

Thanks
Darren
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 13 December 2008 21:43:44(UTC)
H0

The Delta 6604 boost MM, DCC, and mfx.

But you won't have mfx feedback. This means a mfx loco must be on a track connected to the MS directly to register (so-called programming track). If on the boosted section, the mfx symbol on the MS is always flashing because there's no feedback.

Non-mfx locos work as usual.

You need center rail insulation plus center rail rocker.

See also here:
https://www.marklin-user...;SearchTerms=rocker,6604
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline frankie  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2008 00:13:49(UTC)
frankie

You may just separate the switching current, the one that activates the turnouts, from the one that powers the loco, if you have many switches and signals.
Powering this last from the 6604 and the loco from your controller, a CS I presume.
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#4 Posted : 15 December 2008 11:57:04(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
The 6604 is a bit "slow" - the signal is delayed. It is not a problem when it powers the accessories or a separate power circuit. But if you have one power circuit powered by Central Station and another by this booster, it is a bit tricky when the trains cross the line and bridges both the rails and the center conductor.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline hemau  
#5 Posted : 15 December 2008 20:12:46(UTC)
hemau

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Darren Watalla
<br />I have found documentation that shows how to use a Delta 6604 with a transformer as a simple booster. [...]If I was to use a Mobile Station to control my trains (some of which are MFX and some Delta) what affect would this have?

One thing I am not sure about with boosters. Do you create a new power block with the track isolated from the other areas? [ ...]
Do you have to isolate the centre rail or common rails?
Darren

Hi Darren
I advise you to use only the 6604 to feed the track an use the MS for a so-called program track. You connect the MS to the ugly box=program track and you feed the signal (red and brown) to the 6604. I understand you have the scheme. The 6604 feeds the track. Use separate transformers for the 6604 and the MS. In this situation you don't need isolation in your layout.
The advantage is that a 6604 has a much better power delivery than even a 1.9 A MS, at least that is my experience. If you want more boosters, I would suggest you get another 6604 or 66045 rather than using the MS for feeding the track. Then you would have to isolate the different sections of your layout (for a 6604 a simple isolation of the center rail is enough, no rockers needed). But I would at first try if one 6604 does the trick on its own.
Regards, Henk.
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline perz  
#6 Posted : 16 December 2008 00:32:42(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
If you want mfx feedback from your boostered section, I have designed a DIY circuit for that. See
https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...ult.aspx?g=posts&t=10321 and http://www.persmodelrailroad.net/mfx_boost.html. I designed it for a 6017 booster but this should work equally well with a 6604. You just don't need the level shifter with the 6604.

Edited by user 01 September 2012 20:42:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Darren W  
#7 Posted : 16 January 2009 04:49:31(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Well it works. I have set up my 6604 as a booster. My Mobile Station is just feeding a programming track on the control board. When I used just the MS I could run 2 trains and now I have been able to run 3. The only difference I have encountered without having MFX is the speed control bar on the MS flashes for my MFX locos. I also need to place my MFX locos on the programming track before the mainline so they register and the acceleration and deceleration work. I can live with those 2 minor issues. I may try building the feedback circuit as suggested by perz when I get the time.

Thanks for all your help.

Darrenbiggrin
Offline Darren W  
#8 Posted : 16 January 2010 06:52:54(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I decided to try building the MFX feedback circuit that Per designed and published. I had a hiccup finding a transformer but Per was great and sent me a photo of the transformer he used. He had to build it himself and so I did the same. I had made one mistake during construction but careful checking of the circuit revealed that I forgot the ground connection from the IC on pin 4 and so it had +5 volts but nowhere for it to go. The MFX is now working through my 6604 booster.

Here are some pictures of my test setup.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

My many thanks to Per. Now I just need to mount it in a small box with connections and labels on it. I have the parts to build another circuit and next time I will colour code the wires to make troubleshooting easier.

Cheers...
Darren

Offline GSRR  
#9 Posted : 17 January 2010 20:22:24(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Darren,

Nice job. Can you post some more close up pics of the circuit from different angles, and the underside? Where did you source your materials, and can you estimate the cost?

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 17 January 2010 22:05:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent work, Darren.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Darren W  
#11 Posted : 18 January 2010 03:54:56(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
GSRR wrote:
Darren,

Nice job. Can you post some more close up pics of the circuit from different angles, and the underside? Where did you source your materials, and can you estimate the cost?

Regards,

Thomas

I purchased the parts from a small local electronics shop in town. I paid extra for prepackaged flameproof resistors. I think you could build it for less then $15 CAD. The price is higher since you are buying such small quantities. The transformer I built using a ferrite core I scavenged from a power supply and used 24awg and 22awg wire. The straps come in a strip and are used for joining 2 circuit boards or in my case I used little circuit jumpers like you find on computer motherboards and such. This allows me to pop the jumpers in and out easy. You may be able to salvage these from an old computer board as well.

I am going to build a second unit and try to make it a little prettier. I will post pictures of that one and I will email them to you as well.

I must say that the credit for this circuit goes to Per. He is the Dr Frankenstein and I am but the lowly Igor.Scared

Cheers...
Darren