Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nitramretep  
#1 Posted : 25 August 2016 00:14:44(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Some useful items/products (no vested interest in them on my part):

1. Plastic Cleaning: Plexiglass, plastics, eye glasses, cell phone screens and pad screens are very often damaged by using an unsuitable cleaner. Apart from cleaning these products, including CS2, CS3 and MSs, are damaged by ammonia or some other chemical cleaners, in particular alcohol. These plastics are also dust magnets and very often can be damaged by UV, perhaps not your CS units. As in important as cleaning is the reduction of static on the screens to repel dust. In the Air Force plastic cockpits are always cleaned with a special product, sold to consumers as PLEXUS CLEANER. Having used this product for the last 9 years it is worth every penny and can provide great improvements in eye glasses, screens, in particular cell phone screen protectors and the CS2 & 3 screens that often are subject to wear and fingerprints etc. A small can of this stuff will keep your glasses and screens clean and importantly polished for long periods of time. It can even be used to polish and clean HO windows on locos and carriages without harming the materials. The link below is to a larger size container, smaller ones available.

https://www.amazon.com/P...xus+plastic+cleaner+13oz

2. Thin wedges, separators and tools to part to snuggly fitting parts: IFIXIT TOOLS sell a line of tools, very reasonably priced to service technicians working on cell phones and laptops. These pry tools are ideal to separate a stubborn carriage body from the frame or other tightly joined surfaces that just require a gentle pry. I have 3 types of pry tools; one plastic, one steel with a handle and another ultra thin tool. ("Jimmy". "Plastic Card #922-7172 and the ISesamo Opening Tool #IF145-130-1) Great tools for the HO community.

https://www.ifixit.com/S...display=list&filters[Prying+and+Opening]=on

Hope these might be of some use.

Edited by moderator 22 September 2016 14:30:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by nitramretep
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 25 August 2016 00:34:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Peter,
Thanks for those excellent reviews.

I too use a plastic polish, which I purchased 20 years ago in a half-litre tin.
It is really useful for finishing off plastic surfaces from which I have had to remove stickers, or paper overlays.
And then the basic cleaning of plastics that have accumulated grubbiness.
Most of the things you describe, I have not even tried yet.

The prying things sound great.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2016 22:23:39(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post

2. Thin wedges, separators and tools to part to snuggly fitting parts: IFIXIT TOOLS sell a line of tools, very reasonably priced to service technicians working on cell phones and laptops. These pry tools are ideal to separate a stubborn carriage body from the frame or other tightly joined surfaces that just require a gentle pry. I have 3 types of pry tools; one plastic, one steel with a handle and another ultra thin tool. ("Jimmy". "Plastic Card #922-7172 and the ISesamo Opening Tool #IF145-130-1) Great tools for the HO community.

https://www.ifixit.com/S...display=list&filters[Prying+and+Opening]=on

Hope these might be of some use.

The plastic wedges/separators, known as spudgers in the tech community, are a good thing. Used for opening up things held without screws, like iPods and other electronics, their application in the model train world seems like a good idea. Panel separators used on modern cars (same idea - interior panels and dashboard items held in by clips) are just scaled up versions, but the smaller varieties of those may also help in railroading.

Edited by moderator 22 September 2016 14:31:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134