Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rinus  
#1 Posted : 26 August 2016 10:58:41(UTC)
Rinus

I was a member of the Marklin Insider Club for several years until about 5 years ago. I quit the membership because I was a bit dissapointed in Marklin and mainly bought products from other brands.

Since I started buying stuff from them again over the last few years, I was wondering if I should rejoin.

Do you think the membership is worth it? I also read the MIBA, MIBA Special and Eisenbahn Journal with much pleasure.

What is the quality of the Magazin? Has it changed over the last 5 years?

Looking forward to your opinion!

Rinus

Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2016 11:04:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I haven't been a member for many years. I look forward to comments from those who are members to see if they can tempt me back!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2016 11:19:11(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I gave up on it a long time ago.
The magazine mainly holds old news on products and seems to be leaping behind events.
It is a good glossy for the general public but too general of nature for the more experienced Marklin fan.
Insider loc's can be obtained on the market (tradefairs,internet) without problem.

Interestingly enough,the information on forthcoming tradefairs seems to be selected,have not found any announcement on the Eurospoor event in Utrecht,one of the biggest tradefairs for modeltrains in Europe,strange.
Have the impression Marklin has trouble accepting that brandnew M trains are being sold outside the Marklin shops.

Also,me being a born Dutchman,i found many spellingmistakes in the Dutch edition,something you also find in the annual catalogue.
Not a major issue,but still.

The money saved on the description I spend on buying Marklin trains.

Cheers,
Paul
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Harryv40  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2016 12:36:07(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
I became a member this year. Personally I feel it's a great start with Marklin, but it does jump around a bit and like all printed items it is out of date when you receive it.

In terms of benefits you get a catalogue (£9) and an free insiders car (£25), so the net cost is about £35.

Would I renew next year, well I don't think so, I obtain more information and help from you guys, RayF etc, than from the magazine.

I have ordered the new insider loco from Lok museum 295 euros plus postage, I may cancel it, if you would like just pm me, it will only cost you the extra postage plus the original cost.

Harry
Offline petestra  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2016 12:59:51(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I have always enjoyed the magazin even though it's geared more to Europeans as far as events are concerned. I do not mind because

I am a big Euro-train fan. I really like the now twice-a-year videos and of course the free annual car and this year coming, the free catalog.

I just renewed for $99.00 USD which is $10.00 lower than last year. I think it's worth it. PeterCool

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline GlennM  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2016 13:06:48(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Firstly I would say can you speak German, because the German Insider Magazine is 10x better than the English version with more articles and information.

Whether to join or not it depends what you are looking to get out of your membership. The magazines are fun to read, glossy, look good, but do not contain any information you could not get through the Forum or other external sources. I also quite like the posters they have started to produce for key models, but it's all shameless advertising designed to get you to buy more Marklin. For me I do a lot of travelling as well as enjoying quiet time at home in the garden, and I enjoy having something to read, (I have not gone paperless in my life nor do I think I will ever manage it 100%) and find that some of the articles can be interesting and informative. Then there is the odd DVD that comes with the magazine with some fun stuff on and access to Marklin TV and members area online for those who do not spend already too much time on line BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin. I enjoy having access to the annual wagon and to the Insider models, yes you can buy them off 'flebay' or from dealers but at least from Marklin you know they are brand new, and the certificates come in your name. Finally, if you attend any Marklin events there is usually a gift of some kind upon production of your Insider membership. I also like the free catalog and seasonal catalogs, they usually arrive around the time they are realeased elsewhere, and so I can find a quiet corner and grab a coffee, and flick through the pages looking at the new items just like I did when I was a little kid ThumpUp ThumpUp

So if the above does not interest you then I would say don't join as you may not realise any value from your membership.

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 26 August 2016 13:25:27(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I like both magazines and the little extras that they add from time to time. Like any magazine the content can be a bit up and down in terms of my interest, but overall I get at least one thing out of every edition.

Then there is the online club - pretty good has some stuff like downloads for track plans and the Marklin TV..

The annual wagon is a bit so so - nice, but not particularly rare as there are estimated to be in excess of 50,000 Insider members..

Access to the Insider models is good too.. Yes, I know that anyone can buy them off eBay these days, but I still like the certificate and the leading edge technology that is often delivered with these models. (The video doors train should have been an Insider).. I am also keen on the two Insider model program as my FD is sick of red and black locos - railcars look awesome on the layout.. That Lufthanza Donald Duck is a personal favourite..

I also really like it when we (the Aussies that is!) get the Insider package before the East Islanders.. LOL Twice so far this year! Flapper
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Rwill  
#8 Posted : 26 August 2016 14:02:39(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Dumb question

Do you name a dealer on joining the Insider Club - is it them that then supply you with the goods or does it come direct from Marklin De.

In my case naming our only UK dealer - who is totally unsupportive and excruciatingly expensive would put me off totally.

If I could deal through Lokshop or MSL and get the mags and stuff in English then I may consider.
Offline NS1200  
#9 Posted : 26 August 2016 14:16:48(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Overhere there is no need to name a dealer.
However,when you order an Insider model,it needs to be picked up from your local M dealer,with given name and address.
At least that happened to me when I ordered the Insider Big Boy (the first Big Boy) a long time ago.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline NS1200  
#10 Posted : 26 August 2016 14:22:51(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Must admit some of the photographs in the magazine are superb.
It triggered me to buy the 39010 BR 01.

I am not interested in lengthy stories about My World sets or other starter stuff,i have passed that station.
It is inevitable that a company magazine needs to cover the entire productrange at some time,i do understand.
This however may imply that not everything in the magazine is worth waiting for.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline klinge-germany  
#11 Posted : 26 August 2016 20:29:58(UTC)
klinge-germany

I would like to reduce the question to the Marklin_magazin...
I have never be an Insider, because this 'club' looked to me from the first moment as a marketing tool for which customer should pay for. Futhermore,i quit my subscription to the MM after more than i think 40 Years around 2010, starting at about 1969.
This magazine became inmy point of view more and more a marketing tool at was no more fun.
From time to time i acquire backlevel issues for just 1 Euro plus postage just ro see it again and keep may collection complete, but the last issue is now from 2013.
I read 'normally' the mentioned MIBA and Eisenbahn Journal, both of then as backlevel issues from the famous ebay....
And, after cancelling the MM after more than 40 years, no reaction from them...

Have fun with your MRR

Alfred
alfred...with M since 1960...layout under construction (in mind...)
collecting M items - but not a collector...
editing posts only for tyops...uppps...typos
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by klinge-germany
Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 26 August 2016 21:31:02(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Marklin onlineshop direct can not take discount with insider members.

But Lokshop can do 10% discount on insider model(s) order only if you are a Insider members.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Rinus  
#13 Posted : 26 August 2016 21:44:43(UTC)
Rinus

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll discuss it with my wife.

Rinus
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 26 August 2016 22:03:57(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The Insider 2017 will not be a steam - Club magazin 4/2016 page 16.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline PJMärklin  
#15 Posted : 27 August 2016 05:38:16(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Rinus Go to Quoted Post
..... I'll discuss it with my wife.

Rinus

That, Rien, is the ultimate decider and authority !!

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 27 August 2016 06:16:03(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
most of them I sold (insider) and the rest (Märklin Magazin = German) is taking up space in the wardrobe, I stopped it in 2000. so they have been with me now for 16 years, all in a protective folder(s)most people shy away from it buying them because of the high postage rate.
if you have enough storage place go for it , I rather spent the money on something else than magazines these days, need so much more rolling stock..

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Goofy  
#17 Posted : 27 August 2016 07:25:11(UTC)
Goofy

I was member of the insider club for many years ago.
In fact it was waste of money!
You can get an Märklin Magazin in the hobbystore.
With the insider magazin,it stand almost same article like Märklin Magazin,but not at the same time.
It various!
You get anyway an coupon for the insider model by order and sign on the coupon.
But you can get an insider model without to be member of the insider club too.
I´m glad to been not member of the insider club. ThumpUp
I haven´t read Märklin Magazin now for about 15 years!
I buy MIBA and MIBA special to read them.
Much more fun and today we have internet to find information about trains and how to fix the landscape.
You find better information too in the youtube.
Tons of the information there! ThumpUp
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline sjlauritsen  
#18 Posted : 27 August 2016 08:19:19(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
As with anything else in here, you will get as many opinions as there are people answering. :-) I like my membership. I suggest that you just try it out, you can always avoid renewing if you do not like it.

The membership fee is 79.95 €. That is around 6.7 € per month so it is not like you are paying for a mansion.
Last but not least, you can get a subscription for the Märklin Magazin alone. The price for that is about 33 € per year (2.75 € pr. month). So there is that option as well.

Remember that you can always have the Märklin Magazin delivered in German if you do not fancy the Dutch version. Just let them know.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 27 August 2016 08:27:50(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
As with anything else in here, you will get as many opinions as there are people answering. :-) I like my membership. I suggest that you just try it out, you can always avoid renewing if you do not like it.

The membership fee is 79.95 €. That is around 6.7 € per month so it is not like you are paying for a mansion.
Last but not least, you can get a subscription for the Märklin Magazin alone. The price for that is about 33 € per year (2.75 € pr. month). So there is that option as well.

Remember that you can always have the Märklin Magazin delivered in German if you do not fancy the Dutch version. Just let them know.

Märklin Magazin offer only 6 times per year.
Which you mean every other month?

H0
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 27 August 2016 08:32:21(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Rinus Go to Quoted Post
Has it changed over the last 5 years?
I left the club about two years ago. The MM had gotten worse short before I left.
I haven't seen an MM in the past two years, but I don't think it became worth the money in that short time.

For each membership benefit, count how much it is worth for you and then compare what you get and how much you pay.

Is the "free" Insider Car worth €20, €25, €30? Subjective estimation starts here.
How much is the MM worth? And the videos? Do you need the coupons to order insider locos?
Does the printed catalogue have any value for you?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline sjlauritsen  
#21 Posted : 27 August 2016 08:54:21(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Märklin Magazin offer only 6 times per year.
Which you mean every other month?

I mean the annual fee divided by 12. Just the way I break down costs into manageable sizes. When looking at costs on a monthly basis, they might not seem so overwhelming if one is to find room in the budget.

Nothing to do with how often the magazine is published.
Søren from Denmark
Offline sjlauritsen  
#22 Posted : 27 August 2016 09:07:58(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The MM had gotten worse short before I left.
I haven't seen an MM in the past two years, but I don't think it became worth the money in that short time.

I had a membership crisis when they showed all the LGB stuff into the magazine and the absence of the "Märklin Freunde" (Märklin Friends) articles in the international version. There simply was not enough interesting stuff in there. Luckily, with the introduction of Depesche, the LGB stuff is now gone. The Märklin Friends articles have also started to appear in the international version. I find it a lot more interesting to see what actual people have done with their layouts. IMO it raised the value of the magazine a lot.

At the end of the day, it is a Märklin customer magazine and people should think about it as that. Just as any other customer club around.
Søren from Denmark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline xxup  
#23 Posted : 27 August 2016 09:18:53(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
As much as I love poking the East Islanders, I have to say that it was great to see Marklin take the trouble to go to the other end of the earth and check out the club in the East Island. It was an interesting article too. It sends a message to readers outside Europe that they do know we exist even if they can't seem to find the money to make one simple Australian loco to pull the beer car. RollEyes

I also seem to remember a Brisbane member won one of the Marklin Insider competitions some years ago. Hey Damon! Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline GlennM  
#24 Posted : 27 August 2016 12:25:07(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Dumb question

Do you name a dealer on joining the Insider Club - is it them that then supply you with the goods or does it come direct from Marklin De.

In my case naming our only UK dealer - who is totally unsupportive and excruciatingly expensive would put me off totally.

If I could deal through Lokshop or MSL and get the mags and stuff in English then I may consider.

The magazine and catalogs and all that comes from Marklin via post.

If you want the annual car and the Insider locos you need to specify a Dealer who will receive this and ship it to you. It would be advisable to check your German dealer is happy to do this for you in the first instance, and there may be a charge for handling and shipping as I have no idea how much you buy from your dealer.

How it works for me, I name my regular dealer in Germany, he receives the Insider items and sends them on to me here in UK. The arrangement we have is that he consolidates my annual order and Insider stuff into packages and sends them in lots throughout the year, I am not the first person to usually receive items but it keeps shipping costs sensible and works for me. In addition there are several of us who us the same dealer and so all our stuff is shipped together in these packages and we share the postage, quite cost effective.
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 27 August 2016 12:45:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
......I have to say that it was great to see Marklin take the trouble to go to the other end of the earth and check out the club in the East Island........

Marklin didn't actually come and visit us, the original article was written and sent to Marklin by our Club President on the occasion of our 40th anniversary. Marklin rewrote the article in German, then translated it back to English so it reads a bit different to the original, but we are certainly appreciative of the exposure.

I also really like it when we (the Aussies that is!) get the Insider package before the East Islanders.. LOL Twice so far this year! Flapper

Actually you have yet to get the package before us, the last 2 times they arrived the same day (Glenn got 04/16 the same day as you, and 03/16 arrived the same day) Flapper

I find the English MM is not as well written as what it used to be when they published all the articles (prior to 2005), but it does contain some useful stuff. The DVD's are good to watch, and the catalog, club car are good to have. I haven't bought any Insider locos as an Insider but do have a few bought as an Outsider off ebay.
Offline xxup  
#26 Posted : 27 August 2016 13:20:32(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
...Actually you have yet to get the package before us, the last 2 times they arrived the same day (Glenn got 04/16 the same day as you, and 03/16 arrived the same day) Flapper...

If it ain't in the forum then it didn't happen.. Australia wins the Insider package race over the East Island twice this year.. Flapper

Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kiwiAlan  
#27 Posted : 27 August 2016 23:02:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Dumb question

You can certainly get UK membership items through Lokshop. That is exactly how I get mine. You need to email them to set up an account, and tell them both the membership number and the three digit number that is on the order form.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#28 Posted : 27 August 2016 23:08:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
...Actually you have yet to get the package before us, the last 2 times they arrived the same day (Glenn got 04/16 the same day as you, and 03/16 arrived the same day) Flapper...

If it ain't in the forum then it didn't happen.. Australia wins the Insider package race over the East Island twice this year.. Flapper

So we're post counting and keeping track of who got what and when are we.......?

BTW, some of us have jobs and lives outside of the forum, we can't all sit around at the gate waiting to chase the postman! Flapper

Then again, I guess you need to have something that you can say you beat us in, since your Olympic form was so crap, and the Wobblies got done by the All Blacks last night. Plus your boy has been out qualified by that Dutch lad again for tonight's race.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#29 Posted : 27 August 2016 23:13:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
As much as I love poking the East Islanders, I have to say that it was great to see Marklin take the trouble to go to the other end of the earth and check out the club in the East Island. It was an interesting article too. It sends a message to readers outside Europe that they do know we exist even if they can't seem to find the money to make one simple Australian loco to pull the beer car. RollEyes

Not only that, but the article was the only one in the magazine longer than a double page spread, which seems to be the limit of many articles in the magazine.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline xxup  
#30 Posted : 27 August 2016 23:48:09(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
... Plus your boy has been out qualified by that Dutch lad again for tonight's race.

That's makes us even - you are not in the race either! Flapper
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#31 Posted : 28 August 2016 04:37:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

13996249_10207195455824821_2487701425948622523_o.jpg

Flapper Flapper Flapper
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline boitpo  
#32 Posted : 28 August 2016 06:42:01(UTC)
boitpo

New Zealand   

13996249_10207195455824821_2487701425948622523_o.jpg

Flapper Flapper Flapper

Third Test might be worth watching now
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by boitpo
Offline xxup  
#33 Posted : 28 August 2016 06:47:57(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I would not get too cocky - that team won Gold at the Olympics.. I am not sure that the All Blanks would dare to play against THAT team!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#34 Posted : 28 August 2016 08:30:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Capture.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#35 Posted : 28 August 2016 08:34:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Apologies to Rinus, we are waaaaay off topic!
Offline xxup  
#36 Posted : 28 August 2016 09:13:37(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
UserPostedImage

Our women are better than yours... Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline xxup  
#37 Posted : 28 August 2016 09:14:06(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
And I apologise too.. Blushing Blushing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#38 Posted : 28 August 2016 10:36:48(UTC)
Goofy

When i was member of the insider club,i did noticed that delivery of the Magazine was always about two weeks later what german customer do get.
Probably post service slows... Glare
H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#39 Posted : 28 August 2016 11:42:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Our women are better than yours... Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper

Even the Aussie newspapers can't resist! Flapper Flapper Flapper

Capture.JPG
Offline Minok  
#40 Posted : 30 August 2016 00:28:24(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Capture.JPG

As a German-Yank, I don't really have a fight in the Rugby fight (we talking Association, or which version?)... but remind me who won the Gold in Rugby at the Olympics? Oh yeah, neither of you two! ;-)
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#41 Posted : 30 August 2016 04:31:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Capture.JPG

... but remind me who won the Gold in Rugby at the Olympics? Oh yeah, neither of you two! ;-)

Sevens Rugby isn't full blown Rugby, it is a cut down, shortened version of the 15 a side game (of which the All Blacks are the current World Champions).

Your statement is not quite correct, Fiji won the Men's Sevens Rugby Gold Medal at the Rio Olympics, but Australia won the Gold Medal for the Women's Sevens Rugby (NZ won Silver).
Offline NS1200  
#42 Posted : 30 August 2016 07:28:49(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I think this topic was about the Marklin Insider Club,not about funny habits of the antipodes,have i missed a station?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#43 Posted : 30 August 2016 07:34:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
I think this topic was about the Marklin Insider Club,not about funny habits of the antipodes,have i missed a station?

Apologies to Rinus, we are waaaaay off topic!

And I apologise too.. Blushing Blushing

You're not telling us anything we don't already know.....
Offline Crazy Harry  
#44 Posted : 30 August 2016 22:54:04(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Back on topic! I had a similar dilemma, see my thread here: Marklin Insider Membership Question

The US/Cdn subscription price has since dropped by $10US (not a big saving) and now they claim they are going to mail the catalogs directly to our home (had to order them before and pick them up from the Marklin dealer). I broke down and signed up for another year, let's see what happens. Delivery of the magazines is very late compared to when the on-line version of the Insider magazine shows up on Marklin's website (in German). I still feel the same way, there are a lot of things I don't really benefit from, so renewal next year is still up in the air!

Harold.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#45 Posted : 30 August 2016 23:28:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The English version of the Insider Magazine is usually posted on the Marklin website fairly quickly.
Offline dickinsonj  
#46 Posted : 31 August 2016 01:22:06(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I just became an Insider Club member again this year, after many years of not belonging to the club.

I am finding the printed material and DVDs to be very nice and I want to maintain my access to the Insider models if they are of interest to me. I live in the digital world but the high quality images in Märklin's product brochures are excellent and they are actually much nicer than anything I can see on my Mac retina display. BigGrin

Can you justify every penny? Probably not. But I am finding it a very nice extra to have and well worth the cost if you can afford it.

As Søren said, it is just for one year, why not give it a try. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline H0  
#47 Posted : 31 August 2016 08:02:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
As Søren said, it is just for one year, why not give it a try.
If you want to leave, terminate after 10 months.
Once you got the invoice for the second year you are hooked for another year.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kimballthurlow  
#48 Posted : 02 September 2016 13:08:10(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi all,
I have committed to membership for another year!

I quite like it. Maybe it is a tribal thing.
I feel I belong to something .... a common cause. Very primeval.
I surely do have something in common with other Marklin owners.
These people are spread so thinly across the globe, the Insider Club represents an intangible link.
We have in common that we spend money with a firm in Goppingen in Germany, though our likes and foibles and preferences may be different.

There are neural pleasures too.
Like the anticipation of what Maerklin will offer for the Insider models each year.
And the anticipation at the mailings 6 times a year - in some countries, they arrive sooner than others.
Which gives some an excuse for light hearted ribbing.

With apparently 50,000 members, model makers like Athearn, Atlas and BLI in the USA must look on with both wonder and envy.
50,000 x USD$100 = $5m ..... to organise some models, some magazines, and a mailing list. Not bad!
Yes the magazine and the news are blatant marketing tools, but if you were in charge at Maerklin, you would not have it any other way.

I get vicarious pleasures out of the Insider Club too.
I wonder how other members are going to use their money, and I enjoy seeing their reactions to receiving both news and models, as they share it on the User Net.
Which actually acts as an unofficial forum for the Insider Club, as well as the Outsider Club.
As I tell Juhan, a donation to the User Net is like a second fee for being a member of the Insider Club.

If you need to be careful with money for a reason, or you like being parsimonius, don't join.
It is not a necessary thing, and I am sure we have all been in those situations.
For the same amount of money, you can buy 2 or 3 new wagons, or a second hand locomotive.

But as usual, I am paying gladly for another year........ I belong.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline nitramretep  
#49 Posted : 02 September 2016 14:29:23(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I too have decided to join again after deciding against renewal last year. I feel the investment is not too steep and the publications are worth it.
Offline TEEWolf  
#50 Posted : 02 September 2016 18:59:58(UTC)
TEEWolf

I am not a member of the club. I think in Germany you get much other and better support and information possibilities. The MaerkMag I always buy in next shopping center book store. So I can compare - before buying - the themes with all the other papers and their themes. But I ordered the Maerklin newsletter for free! So I get informed about the newbies at Märklin on time, although I am still waiting for delivery of a few parts from last years fall/winter products, like the CS 3 Cursing Laugh.

But I think, living abroad - so NL or NZ or so Huh - to be a club member could be very helpful. You may get information you otherwise won't never see (except you asking in this community Cool). So I did not find the newsletter from Märklin in EnglishBigGrin - or does somebody get it?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf