Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CanadianKid  
#1 Posted : 27 August 2016 05:03:32(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
Hello Everyone,
I have a small question here. Now I realize one of the forum suggestions or rules is to look around on the forum for info before you ask a question, but I was confused as I bought used turnouts which were already wired, as I got them for a good deal.

Here you should be able to see all the 5 wires. (tell me if the image doesn't appear, this is my first time uploading an image) I understand that the 2 blues, along with yellow wire next to it get wired into a m83 decoder and then into a transformer(is this what it's called? Anyways, the hub where a lot of the wires meet), from there to the power box or whatever its called, and then into my ms2. (I think.)

According to my turnout, I also have another 2 wires coming from a separate spot which I know controls the lantern. Where do these go?

Also too, is there a better way of doing this or a cheaper (but still sound) way?

I personally am not too keen on putting electronics under my track- mostly because it is quiet costly for each digital decoder. ThumbDown

Thanks in advance,
Matthew
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 27 August 2016 05:40:23(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Matthew,

To get the solenoid to move, which then in turn will switch the turnout, you need to very briefly power the blue/yellow wires.

This can either be done manually via a simple push button control box that is powered by a Marklin transformer.

Or if running digital you need a decoder to very briefly (a few 100ms) send a pulse. This can be done by the K83 decoders. Different manufactures make them so you don't have to buy Marklin. E.g. Viessmann is a bit cheaper.

The K83 also need some power to to send the pulse off. Marklin's old K83 takes power from your track system. Viessmann and others can be powered separetely by e.g. a 16V Marklin transformer. The new M83 decoder from Marklin also has the ability to be powered separately + it has some new functions where advanced users can program different setting for each port on the decoder.

To wire the decoder you plug in the yellow wire in the middle of the port and on each side the blue wires (see manual of the decoder). The decoder of course also need to be wired into your control station, so when you press a button on the MS 2 the signal can be sent off to the decoder. This is done by wiring the red/brown wire from your control system to the decoder.

The yellow and brown wire on your turn out is to permantly light the turnout, if you wish to. E.g. By using a 16V Marklin transformer. Brown wire is ground/earth and yellow wire is active.

Try and download a manual from Viessmann 5211 decoder, as these explain the concept a bit more clear than some of the Marklin manuals.

Hope this help.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline CanadianKid  
#3 Posted : 27 August 2016 06:07:29(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Matthew,

To get the solenoid to move, which then in turn will switch the turnout, you need to very briefly power the blue/yellow wires.

This can either be done manually via a simple push button control box that is powered by a Marklin transformer.

Or if running digital you need a decoder to very briefly (a few 100ms) send a pulse. This can be done by the K83 decoders. Different manufactures make them so you don't have to buy Marklin. E.g. Viessmann is a bit cheaper.

The K83 also need some power to to send the pulse off. Marklin's old K83 takes power from your track system. Viessmann and others can be powered separetely by e.g. a 16V Marklin transformer. The new M83 decoder from Marklin also has the ability to be powered separately + it has some new functions where advanced users can program different setting for each port on the decoder.

To wire the decoder you plug in the yellow wire in the middle of the port and on each side the blue wires (see manual of the decoder). The decoder of course also need to be wired into your control station, so when you press a button on the MS 2 the signal can be sent off to the decoder. This is done by wiring the red/brown wire from your control system to the decoder.

The yellow and brown wire on your turn out is to permantly light the turnout, if you wish to. E.g. By using a 16V Marklin transformer. Brown wire is ground/earth and yellow wire is active.

Try and download a manual from Viessmann 5211 decoder, as these explain the concept a bit more clear than some of the Marklin manuals.

Hope this help.

Brgds Lasse

Thanks,
This helps a lot. If I buy the k83 decoder or the Viessmann equivalent, will I be able to power the turnout lantern through the same transformer or will I need at least 2? Also, it seems like the lantern turns. If I have the switch hooked up, will that turn without the power connected directly to the lantern module?
Will the Viessmann equivalent hook up to my ms2 digitally automatically once I have all the wires connected?
Also, do you have a parts number for the Viessmann equivalent?

Thanks immensely,
Matthew
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2016 11:14:31(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Matthew,

Al lot of us use the Viessmann decoder (part number 5211), as it's cheaper and very reliable.

They are pretty simple to program. Basically on the front panel there is access to some DIP switches. You look in the manual and find the address you would like to use and it will tell you how the DIP switches should be set.

On the MS2 you will then just configure the identical address.

The Viessmann uses the old type Marklin plugs also sold by Brawa now.

Remember any time you have to plug/unplug anything from the decoder to first switch off power. If you by mistake make any shortcuts you risk damaging the decoder port.

You can just use 1 marklin 16VAC transformer to power your accessories (e.g. decoder, lights etc.), unless you have a very large layout. The yellow wire will then go to "E" socket on the Viessmann decoder, as illustrated in manual.

If you have a small carpet layout etc. it may be better to just power the few turnouts from the track power instead (less wiring required).

The turnout will keep lights on - it's only the housing that will move (mechanically) when you switch the turnout.

Brgds Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake