Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2016 02:34:30(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I have noticed that manufactures of power tools have always had combo sets in order to lower the price of their items, granted that buying three or more costs more then one. Now they offer combo sets that you can pick what three tools you want - a custom combo set. What would be the response from Marklin if they do something similar for the starter sets? A choice of K or C track with a couple of turnouts, freight or passenger cars, steam - electric - diesel locomotives. I believe this would help the Hobby line and also push select higher end products. Any thoughts? Fred
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline stevend  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2016 03:57:47(UTC)
stevend

We already do this for our customers....we try to make it work for them and what they want.

Kind regards
D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by stevend
Offline Pmare4  
#3 Posted : 24 August 2016 05:09:30(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
That's an interesting idea - in the late 60s you could buy most of the Marklin starter sets with a choice of C or K track. You had to buy the transformer separately. This was good in three ways:

1: Marklin didn't have to make multiple versions of the set for different voltages.
2: You could add another train to your existing set cheaply as well as get a few more tracks.
3: When you bought a controller, you could choose the smaller and cheaper 16va or the larger and more powerful 30va.

I think that it would be easier for Marklin to sell an oval track set with a controller in the hobby line and then let customers buy locos and wagons separately. If you pack them all into the one box, then you will have to change the insert depending on what trains you buy.

Regards,
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 24 August 2016 05:11:29(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
...... offer combo sets that you can pick what three tools you want - a custom combo set. What would be the response from Marklin if they do something similar for the starter sets? A choice of K or C track with a couple of turnouts, freight or passenger cars, steam - electric - diesel locomotives. ....Any thoughts? Fred

Not a bad idea Fred.
The final price may show large variations depending on the "fixed" price of the locomotive, and how many accessories were required.
And in this case, the customer can work easily out what discount is being applied.

At the moment, the discount in a starter set is hidden, or is impossible to figure, because the locos or other part are a special one-time item.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 24 August 2016 10:46:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
This year Marklin are selling what is effectively a starter set with no trains. The 29000 set includes a MS2 and an oval of track. All you need to do is choose the trains you want to run on it.

I think it's an excellent idea and maybe they could produce an alternative (29001?) with K track.

There are plenty of Marklin "Start up" locos and wagons that can be used to make up the starter train set of your choice.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 24 August 2016 22:15:37(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
This year Marklin are selling what is effectively a starter set with no trains. The 29000 set includes a MS2 and an oval of track. All you need to do is choose the trains you want to run on it.

I think it's an excellent idea and maybe they could produce an alternative (29001?) with K track.

There are plenty of Marklin "Start up" locos and wagons that can be used to make up the starter train set of your choice.

The 29000 is precisely the one I purchased. My layout is specific to the 1970-93 timeframe and none of the starter sets had solution's I'd use on my layout, so it would have been a waste to purchase a starter set with locomotives and rolling stock I would not use. The 29000 is ideal. I then had the parts to test individual locomotives and cars I ordered separately from a wide variety of sources.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok