Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Collector  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2016 07:46:33(UTC)
Collector

Does anybody have any idea where to get the main Marklin Catalogs in PDF format?

It seems that on their site you can only find new items catalogs and not the catalogs with the whole program.

I already found most catalogs from 1930 through 1999 but am still looking for 1987 through 1993 and 2000 until present.

DRG/DB/SBB Epoche II/III/IV
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2016 08:45:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Catalogs up to 2000 (including many that I scanned) can be found here:- http://www.lctm.info/Biblioteca/Catalogos/Marklin/

I did have catalogs later than 2000 on the internet some time ago but unscrupulous people were downloading them, burning them to DVD on on selling the DVD's without any credit to Marklin or myself. So I took them off the net and have never put them back on.

The Marklin Italiafan website did have some of those later catalogs available, but you would need to sign up to that forum to get them. If you do get them, please respect them in the spirit that I scanned and made them available - as a free resource for the Marklin community, not as a means to make a profit.

http://www.3rotaie.it/Cataloghi/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Collector  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2016 10:01:00(UTC)
Collector

Thanks for the very quick reply. The catalogs I got I got from the first link you posted. Of the years that I am still looking for, a few are in french and a few are not available at that link.

I will have a look at the Italian link but I don't speak any Italian so I hope I manage to get through the signup there!

No worries I am not in the business of selling pdfs on CD

Edit: I got stuck in the registration there. After hitting submit it gave a fatal error, when I tried again it told me my email and username was already in use but I got no signup email....

SOLVED!

They fixed my registration and I got them.

MANY THANKS!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Collector
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2016 18:23:48(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Side rant- marklin should offer all of them in PDF. I doubt they make money shipping and selling bulky catalogues, but I appreciate that they do it. However, i'd probably buy more new trains if I knew they existed or were still in the lineup. I haven't bought a catalogue in 10+ years. Especially since the new items onces keep coming out, so I have no idea what the "regular" lineup (if there is one anymore) is!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline grnwtrs  
#5 Posted : 18 August 2016 01:38:20(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Side rant- marklin should offer all of them in PDF. I doubt they make money shipping and selling bulky catalogues, but I appreciate that they do it. However, i'd probably buy more new trains if I knew they existed or were still in the lineup. I haven't bought a catalogue in 10+ years. Especially since the new items onces keep coming out, so I have no idea what the "regular" lineup (if there is one anymore) is!

Hey John, without this FORUM, and Steventrain we would "no(know) nothin!l, and the catalogue is harder than ever to get, here in USA. I got my last catalogue from Europe,
as a insider?Mad

As to what the regular line-up is, anybodys guess.

Sometimes, I hear of engines, cars, accessories being available in Europe, after they are sold out.

But, then again, Marklin doesn't need to pay attention to the 1% ersMellow

Regards, gene

PS Saw your dad at Eurowest, last month,and he looked especially well, maybe because
he scored some nice Maerklin items. He was beamingLaugh
Online xxup  
#6 Posted : 18 August 2016 01:47:34(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Side rant- marklin should offer all of them in PDF. I doubt they make money shipping and selling bulky catalogues, but I appreciate that they do it....

I don't know what happens in the States, but I know that my poor old dealer pays for shipping the catalogues from Germany down here.. I think that he would be happy to see them come in PDF..

Personally, I like them in my bookshelf, even if I have had to settle for the odd non-English one.. If I do use the PDFs, it is to get a translation of the Italian or German to English so I have an idea of what I am buying..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline GlennM  
#7 Posted : 18 August 2016 12:01:08(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Could we not have a Members only section here with Marklin catalogs and other useful documents in a pdf format, just for the use of members?
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 18 August 2016 12:48:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Juhan is working on that, possibly a repository that could be viewed but not downloaded.
Offline Bart  
#9 Posted : 18 August 2016 12:55:00(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
That would be brilliant!
If there is any concern about illegal downloads, you may want to consider restricting downloads to long-term (e.g., >1y) members, if technically feasible.
*Bart
Online xxup  
#10 Posted : 18 August 2016 13:29:45(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Yep.. There's an idea.. Maybe you need 800 posts to view the PDF pages? Wink
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Collector  
#11 Posted : 18 August 2016 13:40:05(UTC)
Collector

Allmost all the catalogs up to 2012 were there and in English as well as a lot of M-Magazines but they seem to be in German. A whopping 10GB total!

Also a zillion other pdfs but those were all in Italian Confused
Offline Bart  
#12 Posted : 18 August 2016 13:46:34(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

yeah, or have registered before 2003? Wink Razz
*Bart
Offline GlennM  
#13 Posted : 18 August 2016 16:37:10(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

I think pdf's can be coded with digital signatures to prevent unauthorised distribution and allows any documents that are distributed to be tracked back to the offending person.
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Jamie  
#14 Posted : 24 August 2016 01:06:14(UTC)
Jamie

Canada   
Anybody know where I could find PDF's of the Trix catalogs?

Offline nitramretep  
#15 Posted : 24 August 2016 01:52:12(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
PDF catalogues would be nice, however I believe Marklin and other manufacturers make a tidy profit off the hard print catalogue sales. I also believe some dealers do quite well in the sales of them. I would, even with my limited experience, be very surprised if Marklin or Brawa would sit still if someone digitized their current catalogues, I believe they are all copyrighted both in the US and the EU.

I must say that the dealers who cross reference Marklin products with Marklin website have often had the links disabled or changed by Marklin. I gave-up navigating the Marklin site last year after repeated efforts to find data or product information. If they decided to digitize their catalogs I wonder how functional they might be?
Offline RayF  
#16 Posted : 24 August 2016 09:00:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I think a point that needs to be made is that the Marklin catalogue is no longer the printed yearbook we are talking about. This large volume which we all like to flick through and is the subject of the thread is only a compilation of those items that have been produced during the preceding year.

The catalogue in the traditional sense of the word is now contained in the Marklin database. Just enter the filter you want under "catalogue" such as Product programme 2015/2016 for example.

http://www.maerklin.de/e...ervice/product-database/
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Collector  
#17 Posted : 24 August 2016 16:03:43(UTC)
Collector

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I think a point that needs to be made is that the Marklin catalogue is no longer the printed yearbook we are talking about. This large volume which we all like to flick through and is the subject of the thread is only a compilation of those items that have been produced during the preceding year.

The catalogue in the traditional sense of the word is now contained in the Marklin database. Just enter the filter you want under "catalogue" such as Product programme 2015/2016 for example.

Confused They still print one and has it not always been a compilation of what is in the programme?? Confused

Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 24 August 2016 17:55:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Collector Go to Quoted Post

Confused They still print one and has it not always been a compilation of what is in the programme?? Confused

A catalogue for me is something you look at to decide what is available or desirable to buy. This was true in the past. By the time the modern yearbooks come out most of the items inside are already sold out.

Nowadays we look at the new items brochures or the equivalent on the product database to see what's coming. The yearbook is a reference book to look at in years to come. This is how I see it, but perhaps I'm making too narrow a definition of "catalogue". If I caused confusion I apologise.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 24 August 2016 21:51:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The yearbook is now called the 'Full Line Catalog'.

Capture.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Collector  
#20 Posted : 25 August 2016 03:16:17(UTC)
Collector

A catalogue for me is something you look at to decide what is available or desirable to buy. This was true in the past. By the time the modern yearbooks come out most of the items inside are already sold out.

Nowadays we look at the new items brochures or the equivalent on the product database to see what's coming. The yearbook is a reference book to look at in years to come. This is how I see it, but perhaps I'm making too narrow a definition of "catalogue". If I caused confusion I apologise.

No worries Ray! This thing was one of the first things I noticed when I started looking at Marklin again. On their site is seemed the most "standard" items like an E03 /103 were "sold out at the factory", "one time series" and other nonsense like that.

It seems that someone in sales read a book on sales and marketing, came across the concept of creating (artificial) scarcity and went completely crazyThumbDown

Have been studying the New Items Catalogs from the Marklin sites and the catalogs from the Italian site listed above and some pattern appears.....

They make a hell of a lot of ALMOST identical locos/wagons etc. Different number on the loco, slightly different functionality, different colour etc etc.

If anyone wants to be "complete" they had better be prepared to spend a LOT. Oh wait maybe that was the planRollEyes

Question is how many people want to be "complete"

Takes quite some research work before hitting ebay knowing what to look for!!

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Collector
Offline ktsolias  
#21 Posted : 25 August 2016 08:57:10(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Originally Posted by: Collector Go to Quoted Post

No worries Ray! This thing was one of the first things I noticed when I started looking at Marklin again. On their site is seemed the most "standard" items like an E03 /103 were "sold out at the factory", "one time series" and other nonsense like that.

It seems that someone in sales read a book on sales and marketing, came across the concept of creating (artificial) scarcity and went completely crazyThumbDown

Have been studying the New Items Catalogs from the Marklin sites and the catalogs from the Italian site listed above and some pattern appears.....

They make a hell of a lot of ALMOST identical locos/wagons etc. Different number on the loco, slightly different functionality, different colour etc etc.

If anyone wants to be "complete" they had better be prepared to spend a LOT. Oh wait maybe that was the planRollEyes

Question is how many people want to be "complete"

Takes quite some research work before hitting ebay knowing what to look for!!

I agree with you

The new "catalogs" or any other name they give are just reference.
Most items at the moment are one time series you must pre-order, waiting some months and the only way to see a real one before you decide to buy is if your dealer has order some more than the orders!!!
Funny!!! for a firm who used to have models in production for 20-30-40 even 50 years!!!
Of course as you notice 99% of the new items are replicas of older models or exactly the same model with different painting, road No or decoder.
The reason is the general situation of our hobby, and of course the financial problems of Marklin.
The development of a new model cost more than 700.000 Euro !!!!! So that's the explanation.......
Costas

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias