Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline grahame  
#1 Posted : 19 August 2016 18:30:01(UTC)
grahame

United States   
I recently bought a Rokuhan controller (basic model) which works really nicely with American Z and Micro Trains locos. Today I tried it with my Marklin locos and immediately noticed a couple of things:

a) I needed to set the speed control further round the dial to get the same voltage to the track (as seen before)
b) One of the Marklin locos tripped out the controller. After about 30 mins it ran again..possibly got a bit warm

My suspicion is that these older locos pull a higher current and are close to the short circuit protection current threshold on the Rokuhan controller?

Do others see this?

Comments suggestions much appreciated.

I am currently running it with 8 x AAA batteries.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grahame
Offline zscalehobo  
#2 Posted : 19 August 2016 21:19:34(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Originally Posted by: grahame Go to Quoted Post
I recently bought a Rokuhan controller (basic model) which works really nicely with American Z and Micro Trains locos. Today I tried it with my Marklin locos and immediately noticed a couple of things:

a) I needed to set the speed control further round the dial to get the same voltage to the track (as seen before)
b) One of the Marklin locos tripped out the controller. After about 30 mins it ran again..possibly got a bit warm

My suspicion is that these older locos pull a higher current and are close to the short circuit protection current threshold on the Rokuhan controller?

Do others see this?

How were you measuring the voltage? Oscilloscope, right? If not, I am not sure I'd trust the measurements. Plus, the Marklin locos draw WAY more current compared to AZL/MTL. I have heard that marklin's locos are 1970's slot car technology so they run fast. Rokuhan and AZL locos are low-current motors geared very differently to run at prototype/slow speeds. They draw very low current.

Marklin locomotives regularly trip the over-current circuit. I have had customers return the RC-02 or RC-03 for this very reason.

In all honesty, this is no reason for a return, unless you are abandoning the Rokuhan controller.

What I have found is that some older locos that have build-up in the wheelsets, poor lubrication, or other binding in any moving part, it increases the current required to power the locomotive. This will trip the Rokuhan controller.

Solution? Clean your Marklin locomotives and ensure that they are in top condition. The Rokuhan controller can then be used to tell you when it is time to service them. To me, it's clearly a feature that Rokuhan trips so you can determine time to clean. Yes, the Marklin controllers or the MTL-modified MRC1300 will continue to drive the locomotives "seamlessly" even in a dirty condition, but driving at higher currents with these controllers for a long time will burn motors and melt brushes.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline grahame  
#3 Posted : 19 August 2016 22:42:49(UTC)
grahame

United States   
Thank you!!! yes I agree with all of that....I think that a Marklin Cool loco which trips the Rokuhan is ready for a bit of service indeed...BigGrin
Offline grahame  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2016 19:17:40(UTC)
grahame

United States   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post

Do others see this?

How were you measuring the voltage? Oscilloscope, right? If not, I am not sure I'd trust the measurements. Plus, the Marklin locos draw WAY more current compared to AZL/MTL. I have heard that marklin's locos are 1970's slot car technology so they run fast. Rokuhan and AZL locos are low-current motors geared very differently to run at prototype/slow speeds. They draw very low current.

Marklin locomotives regularly trip the over-current circuit. I have had customers return the RC-02 or RC-03 for this very reason.

In all honesty, this is no reason for a return, unless you are abandoning the Rokuhan controller.

What I have found is that some older locos that have build-up in the wheelsets, poor lubrication, or other binding in any moving part, it increases the current required to power the locomotive. This will trip the Rokuhan controller.

Solution? Clean your Marklin locomotives and ensure that they are in top condition. The Rokuhan controller can then be used to tell you when it is time to service them. To me, it's clearly a feature that Rokuhan trips so you can determine time to clean. Yes, the Marklin controllers or the MTL-modified MRC1300 will continue to drive the locomotives "seamlessly" even in a dirty condition, but driving at higher currents with these controllers for a long time will burn motors and melt brushes.

Do we know what current trips the Rokuhan controllers? How many mA?
Offline zscalehobo  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2016 22:58:22(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post
I recently bought a Rokuhan controller (basic model) which works really nicely with American Z and Micro Trains locos. Today I tried it with my Marklin locos ...

Do others see this? Comments suggestions much appreciated. I am currently running it with 8 x AAA batteries.

Do we know what current trips the Rokuhan controllers? How many mA?

Yes, we do.

Here is a snippet of an email conversation I had with Rokuhan a year ago regarding RC-03:
1. RC03 spec. is 0~12V Max.700mA (for train run)
One ROKUHAN Motor car is required less 100mA for run.
We can make run 5 or 6 trains by one RC03.

2. There are many Marklin Z trains.
And used several kinds of motor.
They required different current draw because motor spec. is different.
Also total train weight are different
It affect for total current draw(Max. load).
So we can’t say how many Marklin Z train can be ran by one RC03.
RC03 spec. has 0~12V Max.700mA
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline grahame  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2016 15:13:58(UTC)
grahame

United States   
Clearly a current higher than 700 mA will trip this controller. Perhaps I can ask the question another way..what is the highest current that a Marklin loco can safely draw without being in danger of damaging the motor. They do get quite warm sometimes......this is mainly due to high current draw and having a metal body. I think there would be melted bodies sometimes if they were made of plastic like American Z or MicroTrains? I am always very concerned about them heating up because I lost one due to motor burn up...fortunately it was still within the warranty period and Marklin replaced the burnt out armature.