Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Collector  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2016 14:21:51(UTC)
Collector

Hello All!

Does anyone here know from what year to what year which style box was used? Some pictures if you have them would be great.
DRG/DB/SBB Epoche II/III/IV
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2016 14:55:46(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Collector  
#3 Posted : 18 August 2016 15:30:59(UTC)
Collector

Yes, thank you very much that was exactly what I was looking for.

No changes in packaging since 1986?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 18 August 2016 18:49:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Collector Go to Quoted Post
Yes, thank you very much that was exactly what I was looking for.

No changes in packaging since 1986?

Well, there have been subtle variation, like the 'Start Up' package that has somewhat garrish orange and red stripes, that has occurred over the last maybe 5 years.

The Insider locos this year come in an anthracite black windowless box.

What is not illustrated there is wagon sets and train sets without track. The picture on the box has varied a bit in that for a long time it has been a line drawing or monochrome picture of the wagons, but tis years Insider wagon set has a colour picture of the wagons. Not sure if this is happening generally across wagon sets. Sets that include a loco will (these days, as the loco is always digital now) be in the grey box denoting digital control. The G5/5 set from this years New Items has a monochrome picture on it.

Then there are special sets like the Gottardo loco set that has a picture of the Gotthard Tunnel on the box, and the Tintin Thalys set that is in a box that looks like a suitcase, and the 2014 36621 Football Weltmeister loco and Christmas Br50 that both come in appropriately decorated boxes.

And then there are the commemorative items like the 31100 Crocodile Swedish Visit two loco set and the 37578 Blue E03, and a host of other items including coaches and wagons that are being produced in blue picture boxes as shown in that link for locos from 1958 to 1968 and wagons up to 1970 ...

take your pick, there is that much commemorative and special stuff being produced now that it is hard to generalise the year a box style has been produced.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 18 August 2016 21:02:23(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Check your bod have date MM YY code like this?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Please note Brown or red box date 1958 or earlier do not have date code but found on bottom front of loco manual.

UserPostedImage
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Collector  
#6 Posted : 18 August 2016 23:34:56(UTC)
Collector

The reason I was asking is because I have been out of this for a LONG time and currently making up my mind about getting in again.

I was browsing through ebay.de and noticed that pictures did not always match the description like when they stated the item was in "Top Zustand" there was sometimes rust on railings etc Mad

So I was wondering if I could narrow down the age of the items by the box but it seems that is kind of difficult after 1986.....

Does anyone know when they stopped printing "Made in (West) Germany" on the boxes?
Offline Pmare4  
#7 Posted : 19 August 2016 00:15:39(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Does anyone know when they stopped printing "Made in (West) Germany" on the boxes?

I'd guess the late 80s or early 90s, mainly because the Berlin wall fell in 1989.

Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#8 Posted : 19 August 2016 01:23:50(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
I have a few resources on my site for some of the earlier boxes (pre-1950)

http://marklinstop.com/2...marklin-boxes-1935-1956/

or search for "boxes"

http://marklinstop.com/?s=boxes

Paul
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline Collector  
#9 Posted : 19 August 2016 03:09:21(UTC)
Collector

Originally Posted by: Pmare4 Go to Quoted Post

I'd guess the late 80s or early 90s, mainly because the Berlin wall fell in 1989.

I would have guessed once they started producing stuff outside of Germany. Any idea when that was?
Offline Pmare4  
#10 Posted : 19 August 2016 04:59:16(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   

I would have guessed once they started producing stuff outside of Germany. Any idea when that was?

Whoops... Blushing

Even today some Marklin items are made in Germany, and so some will say Made in Germany, and others will say nothing at all.

As far as I know, all designing is still done in Göppingen.
Peter
Offline Collector  
#11 Posted : 19 August 2016 06:14:14(UTC)
Collector

Whoops... Blushing

Even today some Marklin items are made in Germany, and so some will say Made in Germany, and others will say nothing at all.

So the ones made in Germany STILL say made in Germany on the box and if it is made in Hungary or China it says nothing about that on the box? I know that in the US they put stickers on it with Made in China and Made in Hungary (i.e. it is NOT printed but stickered)

When did they start production outside Germany?
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 19 August 2016 08:16:40(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

Hi all,
Marklin items made currently, simply have the word "Marklin" (or Marklin symbol or logo) embossed in the casting, extrusion or molding.
Certainly no place of manufacture.

I believe it is mandatory when retailing an item in Australia, to mark the place of manufacture on the packaging.
So as suggested, it is often just a sticker type label on the package.
The item itself, will not necessarily show any place of manufacture label.
What law of the Australian government requires this, I have no idea.

However, I do find it interesting that small importers just do not get around to it.
So if you currently purchase new Marklin items in Australia, it is likely the packaging will not show where the item was made.
I don't care, and I guess many others don't either, because once the packaging is discarded, no one would know anyway.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Pmare4  
#13 Posted : 19 August 2016 08:49:28(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Thanks for that Kimball.

I must have been looking at my vintage boxes when I wrote that. Cool

Marklin does tell us that they will shift production back to the EU a lot, but I don't think that this has happened yet. Marklin TV does show some new Locos being made in Goppingen, but maybe these are just the pre-series?

Chinese production must have started around 2002 according to this link: Stummi Forum (scroll down to post 16 to find the article)
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline Collector  
#14 Posted : 19 August 2016 22:22:16(UTC)
Collector

Thanks for that Kimball.

I must have been looking at my vintage boxes when I wrote that. Cool

Marklin does tell us that they will shift production back to the EU a lot, but I don't think that this has happened yet. Marklin TV does show some new Locos being made in Goppingen, but maybe these are just the pre-series?

Chinese production must have started around 2002 according to this link: Stummi Forum (scroll down to post 16 to find the article)

Thanks for that link. I read that whole thread and it seems Chinese production of some Marklin goods is known to have happened as early as 2001.

Unlike Kimball above, I DO care where it is/was made.

So the question then is, in 2001 were they still printing "Made in Germany" on boxes of stuff they actually made there?

It seems Marklin puts in a deliberate effort to conceal where they make their products. And I am assuming they do that because putting "Made in China" on a box does not help them.

Since I need to somehow narrow down what to collect I would like to stick to stuff made in Europe. If I could only find out what they did/do make there. Confused
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Collector
Offline kimballthurlow  
#15 Posted : 20 August 2016 02:03:56(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Since I need to somehow narrow down what to collect I would like to stick to stuff made in Europe. If I could only find out what they did/do make there. Confused

Hi Collector,
In my opinion, the only way to achieve your target collection, is to purchase ONLY those items that are physically embossed "made in Germany (or West Germany)".
Of course, that becomes difficult when doing internet or mail order.

Even items made in China, can be packaged in Germany, so there is no way of telling from the package printing codes.

Maybe a broad approach as you suggest, to buy only pre-2001 production, is safe enough. That way the box print codes are useful, albeit sometimes difficult for internet/mail orders.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Collector  
#16 Posted : 20 August 2016 07:11:53(UTC)
Collector

Hi Kimball,

I have been browsing eBay.de over the last couple of days and I DID see some of the white boxes which actually had "Made in Germany" printed on the box.

The listings did not list the year of the item though so I can so far only conclude "sometime after 1986" and before they stopped being transparent.

If I would have to guess they would have printed made in Germany on the box at least until they opened up shop in Hungary.

The good news is there is loads of stuff available from 2001 or before.

Sooner or later I WILL find out in what year they stopped printing the origin on the box. Laugh

Regards,

Mike
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Collector