Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline EDWARD MCNALLY  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2016 22:12:42(UTC)
EDWARD MCNALLY

United States   
O.K. I've asked this question quite a time ago about adjusting relex couplers. I have a 3x9 double oval layout w Inglebrook sidding on inner oval. I enjoy watching two analog trains go around but I really enjoy moving freight cars around. My relex couplers are all used an have adjusted according to instructions but half the time the loop does not stay up for pushing the crs to different sidings. These are older cars with no nem pocket but tension pulled. So should I try to get new couplers which are still available or keep fighting with adjustments to the ones on the cars now? Next question???Loco??? TM800 and 3000 units are what I have now and have adjusted the reversing units but still get the little jump. I know the 3300 to modern engines have the electronic reversing units and the 3500 and above often have the 5 pole motors or the other smoother running motors. Many of these have various digital decoders but this system is analog on M track. Need a good steamer or diesel switcher. I have read various reviews about digital locos not running well in analog mode and would appreciate any suggestions to get some sense of operting a good shunting layout w/o having to switch over to 2 rail and kadee couplers as I have on my N scale layout. Thanks
Offline analogmike  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2016 23:44:23(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello Ed,
I have been running pure analog/m-track for many years. I have never known the coupler loop to remain in the up position. After the wagons are pushed over the raised uncoupler track you will be able to push the cars into a siding. Once you back off and separate the wagons the couplers will reset and hook-up to the next wagon which is pushed against it. There is no way to keep a Relex coupler open once the cars are separated.

As for telex shunting the 3096 is my number one lok. Even in curves. I also have the 3065 telex but have not tried it out. I have read in the forum that it is also a good shunting lok.

I hope this was helpful. Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Br502362  
#3 Posted : 21 July 2016 07:35:20(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
I have 3021 steamer and 3065 diesel locos for shunting and both with telex.
Very happy with both.

3065.JPG

3021.JPG

Cheers

Åke
Offline ktsolias  
#4 Posted : 21 July 2016 08:30:56(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post
Very happy with both.

3021.JPG

Cheers

Åke

The steam loco is a 3031 BR 81 may the best switching Loco from Marklin.
If you convert to digital is unbelivable in yard work!!!!
Cheers
Costas
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline EDWARD MCNALLY  
#5 Posted : 21 July 2016 20:32:32(UTC)
EDWARD MCNALLY

United States   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Very happy with both.

3021.JPG

Cheers

Åke

Cheers
Costas

Are your freight cars newer nem with flexible relex couplers or older spring tension style? Do you use the uncoupler track for yard work? Thanks
Offline Br502362  
#6 Posted : 22 July 2016 07:25:02(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: EDWARD MCNALLY Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Very happy with both.

3021.JPG

Cheers

Åke

Cheers
Costas

Are your freight cars newer nem with flexible relex couplers or older spring tension style? Do you use the uncoupler track for yard work? Thanks

Hi,

I have both but it seems that old telex equipped locos work better with older couplers.
Uncoupler tracks are also used as all of my locos aren't equipped with telex.

Cheers
Åke
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 22 July 2016 09:36:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have several Telex locos but rarely use the Telex function as it is only useful for uncoupling the loco from the first wagon, and you need an uncoupling track to be able to uncouple other wagons within a train when shunting (or switching).

It is best to stick to the same type of couplers within a train. Old Relex, new Relex and modern close couplers all work very well with their own type but not so well with the others.

Also the newer types of Telex wont couple to older Relex couplers, and the older Telex won't work so well with the newer close couplers.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Tex  
#8 Posted : 17 August 2016 19:35:56(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I have several Telex locos but rarely use the Telex function as it is only useful for uncoupling the loco from the first wagon, and you need an uncoupling track to be able to uncouple other wagons within a train when shunting (or switching).

It is best to stick to the same type of couplers within a train. Old Relex, new Relex and modern close couplers all work very well with their own type but not so well with the others.

Also the newer types of Telex wont couple to older Relex couplers, and the older Telex won't work so well with the newer close couplers.

Ray,

Good information from you again. Shunting is performed on my layout only at the industrial sidings in Lichtenberg and local rules prohibit road engines from performing this operation. The local switcher at Lichtenberg is a V60 which is a hybrid . I purchased a 37649 Class 360 switcher to replace the V60 from my original digital starter set and it ran and coupled much better . The bright red " cargo " paint scheme , however, clashed with my other diesels so I just put the old V60 cab on it. Like you, I have a few Telex couplers on steam engines and they are used only to uncouple the engine from the train. The only exception being when I'm operating all steam and a Class 81 becomes the local switcher.

Tex
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tex