Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2016 06:09:43(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
FD and I made a deal not to buy any more "Marklin stuff" in 2016 until I had sold off 60 items from my collection. For various reasons this has not happened yet, but I did manage to convince FD to let me order the 37604 + 43114 set on the condition that I add another two items to the sale list.

Specifications
- mFx+
- length with 43114 set is just over 1.5m
- 15 functions for eCOS users and 16 for CS2 "World of Operation" users.
- LED lighting in all wagons except the two powered cars, but there are headlights/tail lights on these cars.

The very first thing you notice about the VT 11.5 is that it is heavy - very heavy. The wagons are cold to touch - that metal cold - so they are metal too. Very unusual in a railcar set - the Thalys, for example, is mostly plastic. This is a quality product - Marklin at its best. Not perfect and I will tell you why later, but a really excellent product none the less.

One of the really nice details are the fans on the roof of both powered units. They don't operate, but they look like they might work. Perhaps something for Marklin to work on when this next returns to the product line in a few years,

UserPostedImage

This train has the loudest and clearest sound of any train I have ever purchased from Marklin, which is great for me as I am almost completely deaf, but I can hear the station announcement clearly. I expect that most people will have to turn down the sound. Of the 14 functions , 12 are sound functions.

Other nice features are the inter-wagon covers, which are designed to hide the electrical connections between the wagons. In this set the are many as there are two rows of pins that connect between each wagon.

It runs beautifully at low speed and the lights do not flicker - not even over my lumpy 5207 turnout.

M-track
Another user on the forum mentioned that m-track running was poor, especially over the double switches. I am pleased to report that this is not the case for me. Below is a video of the 37604, without the 43114 wagons, running over two sets of 5207 turnouts in both the "straight" position and the "turned" position. Further, there are absolutely no problems with the curved turnouts either. Here is a short video of the testing I did on the double-switches.

I should also mention here that the first 5207 needs panel beating and is not in the best condition, but I have not repaired this on my layout as I find it is a good test for new trains. Here is a couple of images showing the problem areas on this turnout.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Things that could have been improved
I have a few if these late model railcars and all of them include an option to randomly switch the table lamps on and off. Strangely, that feature is missing from this unit. Further, only the 43114 has lamps that light up, while the lamps in car #VM 11 5404 do not light up at all.

In the promo images for this set, the powered cars show lighting, but the delivered set as no lights in the powered cars. See this youtube video from Marklin as an example - see post #3 - for some reason you can't have two youtube videos in the same post..

Do I have any regrets?
Hell no! It is a beauty. Here is a video of the complete train running through the 5207 turnouts and over my bridge.

See the video in post #4

Highly recommended
  • M-track running ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

• Finish ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

• Technical features ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp (get those table lamps blinking for that 5th star from me)

• Children test ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp (I think that this is too heavy for young children and I am not confident that they can couple and decouple wagons without doing damage)

• Slow speed running ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Edited by user 26 July 2016 04:45:08(UTC)  | Reason: Strange You Tube problem..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2016 06:31:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Adrian, can you find out what should work ? e.g. lights ? couldn't here the diesel sound, it is somewhat odd you don't have any interior lights in the powered cars one would expect this to be included when you pay Euro 800.00, nevertheless its an attractive train

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2016 06:51:16(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
This is the original Marklin promotion video, showing the lights in the two powered end cars.

Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2016 06:51:58(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Video of the whole train running across the layout..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2016 08:11:08(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Some of the 37604 sounds.

Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline GlennM  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2016 10:16:57(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Interesting review, I think with the new decoders the sound has taken a huge step forward in all the new locos, last week-end I saw Alan's new Gottardo set running and the sound was really very good.

I would be interested to know what key differences there are between this model and the others made by Märklin, sound aside and I was wondering if you had one of the others to compare? I have the 37605 version of the VT 11.5, and was very taken with this new version at Nuremberg and I am wondering if this new version is a must buy.

All the best
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Nigel Packer  
#7 Posted : 24 July 2016 11:40:18(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

I would be interested to know what key differences there are between this model and the others made by Märklin, sound aside and I was wondering if you had one of the others to compare? I have the 37605 version of the VT 11.5, and was very taken with this new version at Nuremberg and I am wondering if this new version is a must buy.

Hi Glenn,

Late decision by me, but I recently took advantage of the great offer by Hans and bought this train. It's the best version of the VT 11.5 so far!

Best wishes,

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline GlennM  
#8 Posted : 24 July 2016 12:47:25(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post

Hi Glenn,

Late decision by me, but I recently took advantage of the great offer by Hans and bought this train. It's the best version of the VT 11.5 so far!

Best wishes,

Nigel

I will pop down and have a look ThumpUp

I will bring mine for comparison
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 24 July 2016 14:18:09(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Photos would be good too.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 24 July 2016 15:01:27(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
- 14 functions for eCOS users and 15 for CS2 users.
According to the manual there are 16 functions, but the list includes one duplicate.
I expect that there are 15 different functions that can be used with either ECoS (ESU Command Station) or CS2.

Which function is unavailable for ECoS users?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mrmarklin  
#11 Posted : 25 July 2016 05:54:48(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   

Hi Glenn,

Best wishes,

Nigel

What a coincidence! I picked mine up today, and it is a magnificent train. I have the original from 10+ years ago, and I must say the sound, functions etc. are leaps above the original.

It's heavy but very powerful with motors at both ends, and sound from both as well.

Dave Pryor

From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline mrmarklin  
#12 Posted : 25 July 2016 05:59:45(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
This is the original Marklin promotion video, showing the lights in the two powered end cars.

I don't see the lights in the end cars. I think what you are seeing is a reflection of the ambient light.

Dave Pryor
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 25 July 2016 08:06:29(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
I don't see the lights in the end cars.
Here's the photo as they show it in the 2016 new items brochure:

vt11.5.jpg
Most likely the cab lights are photoshopped in.
Later they came with the photo as they show it in the video - some cab lights have been photoshopped out on the leading railcar, but not on the trailing car.

Items in the new items brochure are "handmade samples" and details may vary with the series production.
Still this photo led to some expectations with some customers ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline GlennM  
#14 Posted : 25 July 2016 10:40:30(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

Hi Glenn,

Best wishes,

Nigel

What a coincidence! I picked mine up today, and it is a magnificent train. I have the original from 10+ years ago, and I must say the sound, functions etc. are leaps above the original.

It's heavy but very powerful with motors at both ends, and sound from both as well.

Dave Pryor

Thanks Dave, it may have to go on the wish list Huh Huh

Online PJMärklin  
#15 Posted : 25 July 2016 15:53:34(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello Adrian,

FD and I made a deal not to buy any more "Marklin stuff" in 2016

I'm no lawyer, but doesn't that mean you could buy 3-rail ESU, Brawa etc to your heart's content? !!! Sneaky Wink

The very first thing you notice about the VT 11.5 is that it is heavy - very heavy. The wagons are cold to touch - that metal cold - so they are metal too. Very unusual in a railcar set - the Thalys, for example, is mostly plastic. This is a quality product - Marklin at its best.

Oh I love the VT 11.5 !!! Wub - sorry to bore those who may have seen my previous swannings about this unit.
I bought the very first HO version of this unit (by ROCO) { - please IC PC police this is correct use of capital font} in the mid 1980's.
I later acquired the 1st Märklin version (37605) when it "came out" ; it remains my favourite unit and has to me all the characteristics admired by you. Smile

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

Philip
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline mrmarklin  
#16 Posted : 25 July 2016 16:22:18(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I don't see the lights in the end cars.
Here's the photo as they show it in the 2016 new items brochure:

vt11.5.jpg
Most likely the cab lights are photoshopped in.
Later they came with the photo as they show it in the video - some cab lights have been photoshopped out on the leading railcar, but not on the trailing car.

Items in the new items brochure are "handmade samples" and details may vary with the series production.
Still this photo led to some expectations with some customers ...

I was observing the video, of course.Huh
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 25 July 2016 16:48:08(UTC)
H0

I was observing the video, of course.Huh
In the video I can see three lit compartments in the leading motor car and five lit compartment windows in the trailing motor car.

The picture in the new items brochure also has lit machine room windows.
And each lit window throws light onto a small area on the ballast - looks like they shovelled sand out of each window.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#18 Posted : 26 July 2016 04:46:59(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
- 14 functions for eCOS users and 15 for CS2 users.
According to the manual there are 16 functions, but the list includes one duplicate.
I expect that there are 15 different functions that can be used with either ECoS (ESU Command Station) or CS2.

Which function is unavailable for ECoS users?

You are correct. I keep forgetting to include F0. The manual also states that F15 is only for "World of Operation" and must not be remapped. It does show up on the eCOS display.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 28 July 2016 09:19:13(UTC)
Goofy

Nice reviews Adrian!
Märklin do present reservation for some changes of the models.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy