Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Thewolf  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2016 00:15:00(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
As I said on another post, I did not found the cv 38 for the change of value of this M84

In fact I'm fed up of these things which do not work

I give up my layout

Everything is going to be sold of 1st the loco in the last rail

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline SteamNut  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2016 00:59:06(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Please don't give up yet! My layout is all analog but perhaps one day after I retire I will try a small digital layout. Perhaps you can make a small layout analog or digital and go from there. I am apprehensive of trying something digital but maybe this old goat can learn something.
Offline jcrtrains  
#3 Posted : 23 July 2016 01:38:35(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
There is nothing wrong with old analogue. I am still operating mine off of Atlas Selectors. It's simple but it works. Don't give it up. It will make for a long winter!
Offline dominator  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2016 03:21:47(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I can run digital and analogue at the same time. I have 3 separate but joining circuits which are isolated from each other. I mostly run the whole system on analogue but bring out the digital on occasions. It was a small nightnmaer getting the older keyboard digital locos loaded into the ms2 but with help from Angus, we succeeded. .Sorry i dont know what cv 38 or M84 means but i run all my switches in the analogue system. Far easier for an "analogue brain'.

I have had my Marklin for 58 years so I'm never going to give up. Nor should you.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 23 July 2016 04:14:03(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
As I said on another post, I did not found the cv 38 for the change of value of this M84

I give up my layoutConfused

Thewolf

Why do you want to give up? What is your problem? Perhaps I can help you.

In the Märklin Magazin #03-2014 page 24 and 25 Maerklin wrote that with the cv 38 at the m84 you can alter the brightness of the signal light. Standard is zero. They recommend the value 7 to 9. Sorry but I do not have an English version of this article, but maybe I can translate it partially for you. Because in Märklin Magazin #04-2014 they have a complete article about the m 84.

But they also wrote that cv38 is - like cv8 - a reset command, which can be altered with a CS 2 only on a programming track.

So I think you are not the problem, it is Maerklin who does not translate very helpful articles about their new digital world into English. Cursing Do not give up - we solve your problem.Cool Mellow

You will find these articles only on Maerklin's German version of their homepage. For you, just for funHuh, and please feel free to ask me for support, if your German is not as good as mine.Mad Huh (sorry - don't worry be happy - German is my mothertongue Crying)

http://www.maerklin.de/d...men-specials-und-serien/

http://www.maerklin.de/f...4_Digital_MM_2014_03.pdf

http://www.maerklin.de/f...5_Digital_MM_2014_04.pdf

And perhaps, is here a nice guy, who knows where to find an English version of these articles?Love

You have a m84 (Art# 60841) and you want to do what? What will be your programming tool - MS2, CS2 or something else? Mellow

TEEWolf
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2016 18:07:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I agree with Thewolf's sentiment. Model railways should not be frustrating, they should be fun!

Wolf, perhaps you can reconsider when you've calmed down a bit.

I would recommend simplifying your layout. Don't use something when you find it difficult to make it work. Rearrange your layout so it does not rely on automation. It's much more fun when you drive the trains instead of letting a computer do it for you!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2016 18:08:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
BTW what's with all the wolves on this forum?
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2016 21:40:04(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
BTW what's with all the wolves on this forum?

Laugh Love Yes Ray, you are good! But please do not forget:

lupus may be dangerous Drool Confused Blink

they can bite. LOL Huh Mellow

one of the wolves - regards from the "going wolf" [Wolfgang] - Cool BigGrin

Seriously, I already offered him support, but I need some more information before an answer. But I found already some sources for the m84 - unfortuantely they are in German (you know some in English?) - see above, please.

TEE-Wolf
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Thewolf  
#9 Posted : 24 July 2016 01:49:33(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi everybodyCool

I am here. Last night I did not sleep, put under stress by the decision to give up, disappointed but my wife convinced me to continue

After the job (today of 5.30 am to 2.30 pm) and 3-4 hours of rest, me here is to tell you: I continue my layout

Thewolf

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Thewolf  
#10 Posted : 24 July 2016 01:55:07(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi SteamNut, jctrains, dominator, RayFCool

Thank you for your message

I appreciated a lot

A special thanks to TEEwolf

Thewolf
Offline Thewolf  
#11 Posted : 24 July 2016 02:05:47(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post

I give up my layoutConfused

Thewolf

Why do you want to give up? What is your problem? Perhaps I can help you.

In the Märklin Magazin #03-2014 page 24 and 25 Maerklin wrote that with the cv 38 at the m84 you can alter the brightness of the signal light. Standard is zero. They recommend the value 7 to 9. Sorry but I do not have an English version of this article, but maybe I can translate it partially for you. Because in Märklin Magazin #04-2014 they have a complete article about the m 84.

But they also wrote that cv38 is - like cv8 - a reset command, which can be altered with a CS 2 only on a programming track.

So I think you are not the problem, it is Maerklin who does not translate very helpful articles about their new digital world into English. Cursing Do not give up - we solve your problem.Cool Mellow

You will find these articles only on Maerklin's German version of their homepage. For you, just for funHuh, and please feel free to ask me for support, if your German is not as good as mine.Mad Huh (sorry - don't worry be happy - German is my mothertongue Crying)

http://www.maerklin.de/d...men-specials-und-serien/

http://www.maerklin.de/f...4_Digital_MM_2014_03.pdf

http://www.maerklin.de/f...5_Digital_MM_2014_04.pdf

And perhaps, is here a nice guy, who knows where to find an English version of these articles?Love

You have a m84 (Art# 60841) and you want to do what? What will be your programming tool - MS2, CS2 or something else? Mellow

TEEWolf

Hi Teewolf Cool

Thank you very much

I appreciate your offer

But this evening I am very tired . As I explained it in the previous comment, it was a very hard day (little slept)

I work this sunday and if I am correct, I shall explain to you after the work my great problem withe the cs2, the M84 and the 74391 which do no light

See you on Sunday or another day

Thewolf

Offline Thewolf  
#12 Posted : 25 July 2016 17:09:22(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi everybdoy

As my wife has convinced me to continue, I consider this post as closed.

But the file(case) 74391-M84 is always opened on the other thread

Thank you

Thewolf
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 27 July 2016 11:28:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
In the Märklin Magazin #03-2014...........

Because in Märklin Magazin #04-2014 they have a complete article about the m 84.

That would be me!

English versions of these articles were in the English Marklin Magazine 2014-3 and 2014-5. Copies of the articles are attached.

MM_2014-5_M84.pdf (6,110kb) downloaded 86 time(s).

MM_2014-3_M83.pdf (6,222kb) downloaded 58 time(s).
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 28 July 2016 02:12:55(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

That would be me!

English versions of these articles were in the English Marklin Magazine 2014-3 and 2014-5. Copies of the articles are attached.

MM_2014-5_M84.pdf (6,110kb) downloaded 86 time(s).

MM_2014-3_M83.pdf (6,222kb) downloaded 58 time(s).

Thank you BD-nz(nice)BigGrin. I think next time I ask you straightaway. Because "Ms Google" does not answer too much to me in English.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline baggio  
#15 Posted : 28 July 2016 02:53:49(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Ray said: " It's much more fun when you drive the trains instead of letting a computer do it for you!"

I totally agree with you, but it is also interesting to study how to put "blocks" on a layout to prevent trains from hitting each other, as per the Rocrail webinar I attended with Lucio explaining it.

At that point, it's no longer running trains, but playing with digital concepts.

As for fun, just turn the power on, move the throttle up 1/2 way and watch the train RUN... now THAT is fun, the ANALOGUE way! BigGrin ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline hxmiesa  
#16 Posted : 28 July 2016 09:17:28(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Ray said: " It's much more fun when you drive the trains instead of letting a computer do it for you!"
I totally agree with you, but it is also interesting to study how to put "blocks" on a layout to prevent trains from hitting each other, as per the Rocrail webinar I attended with Lucio explaining it.
At that point, it's no longer running trains, but playing with digital concepts.
As for fun, just turn the power on, move the throttle up 1/2 way and watch the train RUN... now THAT is fun, the ANALOGUE way! BigGrin ThumpUp

Allthough this is clearly off-topic for the original wolf-thread, I just want to add, that a big layout cant really be run by a single person, unless you add LOTS of electric/electronic "helpers". As soon as you want to run more than one train on a line, you will NEED blocks.
It is a good thing that our hobby can be enbjoyed in so many different ways. I am perfectly happy leaving most of the running to the system, while I concentrate on swtiching, rake-compositions and changing locos. Meanwhile I enjoy watching all the trains being run (randomly) by the system; that way a lot of things are going on, over a very large area.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 28 July 2016 09:40:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'd like to clear up that I'm being quoted slightly out of context here. My original post was a suggestion of an alternative to giving up the layout completely, (which is the title of the thread).

Quote:
I would recommend simplifying your layout. Don't use something when you find it difficult to make it work. Rearrange your layout so it does not rely on automation. It's much more fun when you drive the trains instead of letting a computer do it for you!

I agree that a large layout benefits from a certain amount of automation, This can be anything from simple analogue block control with signals through to a complex computer based system or anything in between.

My point is that if you find the technology daunting then you can always revert to a simpler system which is easier to understand.

Edited by user 28 July 2016 13:34:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ray
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline river6109  
#18 Posted : 28 July 2016 17:31:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Thewolf, I've been working on layouts now for over 30 years and I'm not getting any younger, I have come to stage whereas not many things work out for me anymore and I sometimes spend 2 days working on it and trying to find the problem without success, it is very frustrating and I get to the point I have to walk away from it. finally after 2 weeks I found a solution to the problem. with my experience it may be easier to carry on. one thing is for sure this forum can help you along for different reasons so stay with us until the problem is solved. there is a solution for everything one has to be patient to overcome frustration.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Thewolf  
#19 Posted : 28 July 2016 18:15:46(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Well well BigGrin

I could not imagine myself that the fact of wanting to to give up my project (it is my fourth and the second since 2012) and fact to mention it could pull a small debate between the analog and the digital.Cool

I had only a reduction in morale further to a'' calisse de tabarnak'' of problem with M84

All is ok now and thank you very much for your support

Thewolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Thewolf  
#20 Posted : 28 July 2016 18:18:01(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Thewolf, I've been working on layouts now for over 30 years and I'm not getting any younger, I have come to stage whereas not many things work out for me anymore and I sometimes spend 2 days working on it and trying to find the problem without success, it is very frustrating and I get to the point I have to walk away from it. finally after 2 weeks I found a solution to the problem. with my experience it may be easier to carry on. one thing is for sure this forum can help you along for different reasons so stay with us until the problem is solved. there is a solution for everything one has to be patient to overcome frustration.

John

you are right John Cool