Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline klafleur3  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2016 02:32:55(UTC)
klafleur3

United States   
I have a Marklin control turntable (Marklin 7686) that is operating digitally with a Marklin 7687 Retrofit set. It is connected to my M track layout. The turntable turns okay, both left and right. In addition, the track indexing is working fine. However, it seems only one side of the track on the turntable is making full contact with the extension sets on the outside of the turntable. It's the end by the turntable pilot house. The opposite end of the turntable track doesn't make contact with the extension tracks unless I literally lift the turntable track up at the end when it stops inorder to make contact with the extension track I indexed too. Thus, I am unable to drive the train forward off the turntable on the extension tracks because it gets no feeder power from the turntable. However, if I back it out by the train from the turntable pilot house, it works fine. The turntable track is feeding power to the extention track I indexed too.

I believe the problem may be the rollers that ride the platform underneath the turntable track. One side may be worn down. However, since I doubt I will be able to replace them, one question I have is...

Can I connect all the tracks on the extension sets to an adapter feeder track that will supply power to the extension tracks all the time without damaging the turntable??? It seems the main feeder track into the turntable has supply power all the time. So, would it be okay to provide power to the extension tracks too?

I sure hope so... At a loss what I can do to improve the efficiency of the turntable without sending it in for repairs.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ken

Ken
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2016 15:29:39(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hi Ken,

I have the same problem and it has to do with the angled contacts at each rail at both ends of the bridge. If they are not angled high enough they do not make contact with the 7287 exit tracks. I have tried to bend them upwards but it is very finicky to do. I will try and find the previous posting regarding these contacts.

For now I have provided power feeds to the spur tracks directly and may keep it that way.

Cheers
Peter
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2016 16:38:45(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Here is the link of the previous thread. Message 5 and 12 have diagrams of the contacts.

Previous TT post
Offline klafleur3  
#4 Posted : 29 July 2016 00:05:13(UTC)
klafleur3

United States   
Peter

Thank you so much for your help and sharing information.

It sounds like if I put feeder track on each extension , I don't have to worry about bending the contacts on the turntable. I don't want to risk breaking anything.

Do I need to do anything else other than adding feeder track to each extension set?

Ken
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 29 July 2016 01:13:20(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: klafleur3 Go to Quoted Post
Peter

Thank you so much for your help and sharing information.

It sounds like if I put feeder track on each extension , I don't have to worry about bending the contacts on the turntable. I don't want to risk breaking anything.

Do I need to do anything else other than adding feeder track to each extension set?

Ken

No nothing else as long as you keep your red (B) and brown (O) properly connected for both the turntable and the extensions. The red (B) needs to be connected to the centre strip on the TT and the pukos on the track. If you are using a roundhouse I'm not sure the feeder tracks will be skinny enough to fit. I soldered all my wires to the extension connections to the next piece of track.
Offline klafleur3  
#6 Posted : 29 July 2016 02:28:50(UTC)
klafleur3

United States   
Peter,

Yes, I know there isn't much room in the roundhouse for the feeder wires for each extension track. But I figured out a solution.

I have plenty of M feeder tracks (Marklin 5111). So, all I have to do is get a K to M track (Marklin 2291) and connect that to each extension track off the turntable, then into the M feeder track inside the roundhouse. Since you won't see the M track inside the roundhouse, it will look pretty clean. And it works perfectly.

Edited by user 29 July 2016 06:15:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified