Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2016 22:42:17(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
My first Analog starter set was 2985 Diesel freight starter set with K-tracks and was from W&H models Limited in for Christmas 1991.

Then the first Digital starter set 29855 with two locos (E41 and BR18.4), mixed of rolling stock, with C-tracks and 6021 control unitfrom Christmas 2003.

What about yourself?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline katz1002  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2016 00:20:46(UTC)
katz1002

Australia   
Mine was the Marklin SET-HO S 0967 back in the 70's; M-track oval.

Very quickly extended with the E1 extension set, followed by the E2 and then...... well i guess you would understand!!

Still going strong to this day although the dump car is looking a little worse for wear over the years BigGrin

The wife tried to throw out the original packaging (for all of the sets) about 10 years ago Angry . She was very quickly educated in the perils of doing that .

Regards
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by katz1002
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2016 01:26:20(UTC)
petestra

United States   
For me it was for my 11th birthday, March 1964. Märklin set 3100, 3000 lok + 3 metal psgr coaches and a circle of track. I had to buy the trafo

separately. Peter Cool
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2016 09:14:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
My first set was the same as Peter's, the 3100 set. It was bought in 1958, the year I was born, as a Christmas present for my brother. I ended up inheriting the set when my brother lost interest.

Over the years I've bought a few other starter sets, mainly for the controllers.

I bought the 29517 set in 2003 for its Delta controller. This is a great set with a Swiss freight train and Ae3/6 loco.

A couple of years later I bought the 29185 set as I needed a new analogue controller to replace my old blue metal one. This one included a Delta Br81 and three freight wagons.

My first full digital controller, the 6021, was not part of a set, but my first MS2 was, though in that case I only bought the controller split from its set.

Recently I felt the need to have a second MS2 controller, so I bought the 29853 set, which has a DHG700 diesel in DB cargo livery and 3 matching wagons.

Edit:- My original train set running on my present layout:

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 27 July 2016 10:26:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Dimi194  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2016 10:32:43(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Mine was 29750-I was convinced the extra $50 for the light on the engine (which was the other version of the set going around at the time) wasn't worth it... so many regrets :P

However now I think I have 3 starter sets.... !
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dimi194
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 25 July 2016 11:37:38(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
My first complete set was a 3203, a very lucky find in an antique shop. As I was walking out I spotted it near the door, the guy had just walked in while I was browsing and he was trying to sell it but the shop owner was not interested.

I waited until he got outside and approached him. I only had $20 in my pocket and he was happy with that!! This was around 1980 and the set was (and still is) in excellent condition and one of my best scores.

My first new start set was one of the early Digital sets to be released, 2610. This set is quite large and the person (a workmate) who brought it back for me all the way from Germany to NZ regretted offering to bring it back - they had no idea how large it was, neither did I for that matter :-)

Then came a succession of various other start sets, including a couple of the older red sets. I'll see if I can find some images of the first two that I can add.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 25 July 2016 11:42:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have made mention of this in several previous threads, including

https://www.marklin-user...ega-Premium-Starter-Sets

https://www.marklin-user...nd-what-they-mean-to-you

https://www.marklin-user..._postsm295224_posts.aspx

But here goes again......(not that I'm complaining, because Starter Sets is one of my favourite topics).

I purchased my first starter set, a 3122 set, in 1971 at age 11. At that time my cousin worked at the NZ Marklin importers (HW Clarke), so she was able to get the set and a 30va transformer for me at a discounted price - I think the set was $40 and the transformer another $20. I had originally intended to buy a Marklin Sprint set, but a schoolmate convinced me I should buy trains instead. It was my prized possession for many years (still is), giving much enjoyment. I added to the set bit by bit by buying track and freight cars. I later added a 3000 loco (my sister now has this for her kids when they were younger), a 3085 BR 03 and a 3357 BR 103. My collection expanded rapidly when I discovered what could be brought from ebay and online German shops.

My cousins and the brother of my now brother-in-law also had Marklin, so school holidays were often spent combining our Marklin resources and making large Marklin carpetbahn's, much to the consternation of the adults, who quickly found their lounges full with trains. Somehow, I ended up with the 3005 that my brother-in-law and his brother had - that loco has sure had some running!

3122_02.jpg

3122_01.jpg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Western Pacific  
#8 Posted : 25 July 2016 14:19:20(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Mine was a set CM 805/3 that I got for Christmas 1958. It contained M-track with pukos and a CEM 800 DB BR 89 (89005) steam engine (3000) with two front bulbs. I'm not entirely sure which wagons it included, but I am pretty sure that it was one white refrigerated wagon (4508), one open with low sides (4503) and the fantasy tipping wagon (4513). The engine and the two first wagons I still have but the 4513 has been used for spare parts. I still have the box somewhere but all the partitioning inside is long gone and I use it for some of my older well used coaches and wagons for which I don't have the original boxes anymore.

Then there was also the big metal case 220V / 30 VA transformer which I believe was 6123 for the Swedish market (national approval of all electric equipment for household use meant that this transformer family had different catalogue numbers in different markets). For safety reasons it was taken to recycling for electrical equipment when my brother and his family sold and moved from the house they had bought a long time ago from our mother and in the house was the layout we built as teenagers and it had to be dismantled/scrapped when they were moving two or three years ago.

The BR 89 engine has been modified with a Seuthe smoke generator (for analogue operation) and I have planned to convert the engine to digital. That is however not a top priority and when doing so I'll have to figure out if I keep the current smoke generator and add a resistor to lower the feeding voltage or if I get a new one for digital operation. It will all have to boil down to what are the physical dimensions of the decoder I would use and how much space there is left. I actually had to do some minor modifications to the reversing relay when I installed the smoke generator.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Western Pacific
Offline gerardo960  
#9 Posted : 25 July 2016 23:49:31(UTC)
gerardo960

Argentina   
My First set is 2910Laugh Mellow BigGrin Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gerardo960
Offline Minok  
#10 Posted : 26 July 2016 02:00:32(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Heh, I've been eyeballing model trains in Germany since the 1970's and now finally decided its time to build my own layout (room mostly emptied and painting of things blue planned)... and the 29000 digital starter set just this year is it (as I've selectively stocked up on locomotives and rolling stock I actually need for my targeted layout - none of the stock digital sets had included trains that matched my need).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline PJMärklin  
#11 Posted : 26 July 2016 14:27:51(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello Märklineers,

What a delightful topic and such enchanting stories in the thread !

I became interested in Märklin in 1982 (the "excuse" was my young boys BigGrin ).
A local part-time dealer and icon of Märklin in Hobart at that time was Eric Sablowski who had great skills in landscaping, modelling and all things Märklin. He ran a display in an old railway carriage within a static "tourist train" site at Margate, not far from Hobart, which our young family often visited at weekends. Knowing I was going to Germany he suggested I get a starter set whilst there (thus he lost the first sale but in so doing knew he would secure the subsequent! Wink )

So my true "starter" set (I had no prior Märklin) was a 2980 which I bought in Münich during a visit to Germany for a professional course in 1983. Of course all analogue (not to suggest that there is any dissatisfaction with analogue in this current day and age)

Here is the image from my 1983 cattledog :

UserPostedImage

We travelled a lot by train on our trip that year to various parts of Germany and I was particularly impressed by the DB 103 InterCity locomotives so I also bought the 3357 which featured the brand new technology of electronic reversing!

UserPostedImage

And that is how it all started. Love Going by the previous posts however, I seem to be a "slow developer" !!! Blushing

I still have all the starter set pieces. I later converted the 3141 (DB 260) to telex and later still also to digital but you can see it has suffered from intense love, joy and use by our family (it has done an awful lot of shunting in 33 years!OhMyGod and young hands did tend to pick it up by the cab roof! ):

UserPostedImage

I also later converted the 3357 to digital :

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline utkan  
#12 Posted : 26 July 2016 16:19:54(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
UserPostedImage

...the most meaningful set of my collection....a present from my late mother...Wub Wub got it 1973 as second hand...ThumpUp ThumpUp

UserPostedImage

1964/65 Catalog came with the set...Love Love
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline Tom Jessop  
#13 Posted : 27 July 2016 02:54:44(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

My first set , probably brought in 1950 /1 by my father was a HR800 with passenger cars 346/2 , 346/2J & 346/4 . I was to young to remember if this was a full set including track or individual items . A few years after I was given a SK 800 for Xmas & a few years after that a G800 appeared for my birthday . I know the G800 was hidden away on top of my parents wardrobe for a few years but don't know about the SK800. A few goods wagons appeared at other times mainly 307 & 8 from that period . My father was a active horse race follower & gave my mother many items of jewellery from his winnings so I can presume that my engines were also from these winnings . When I see what other people received as their first M with a Br 3000 Marklin set I realise that my family must have been reasonably placed in the 1950's . presents remained steady with the occasional good's wagon ,track etc until I was in my mid teens when I started buying things when I started my Traineeship in Telecommunications .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 27 July 2016 10:33:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Tom,

You raise a pretty good point. A Marklin tender engine would have been an incredible luxury for the average child in the 1960s.

I was extremely jealous of one of my cousins who had a 3031/2 Br81 as all I had ever seen were my two Br89s!

Do you still have these locos?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 27 July 2016 11:38:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
You raise a pretty good point.

Agreed!

My parents could not afford to buy me Marklin, which is why I saved money up from a paper delivery run and bought it myself. I guess I sometimes looked at others enviously at some of the things they were given, but I can say that my parents certainly looked after us, we had a roof over our heads, never went hungry and they did get me some nice stuff when they could afford it (just never any Marklin!). I'm the last of five in our family.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Rwill  
#16 Posted : 27 July 2016 12:31:59(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
My first start set was a digital 2610 - comprising 3674 Br 216 , 4 freight cars , turnouts and motors, a k83, the strange central control and trafo and an oval of track. This was in 1989/90 following the gift of a swiss 3330 which scuppered the Hornby carpetbahn and a "decision" on my part that digital was the future ( so a decoder was fitted to the Re4/4). I used to travel all over the UK and occasionally abroad in connection with my work so always in the glove box of the car was the very good list of UK M dealers and I would often go AWOL during business trips for a period of time - no mobile phones - bliss!.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Tom Jessop  
#17 Posted : 27 July 2016 12:55:15(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
Hi Ray , yes those 3 engines are still rostered on my slowly expanding layout although they are not in good condition paint wise having been foolishly repainted with Humbrol black a few times when I was much younger . I agree with your comment that a tender locomotive back in the 60's would have been a dream for most children & to be given these back in the 50's would have been unbelievable . I was the first born grandchild on my Mothers side with a well off industrial chemist as a Grandfather so maybe he also gave a bit of prodding to buy these beauties .

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Br502362  
#18 Posted : 27 July 2016 13:49:44(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
You raise a pretty good point.

Agreed!

My parents could not afford to buy me Marklin, which is why I saved money up from a paper delivery run and bought it myself. I guess I sometimes looked at others enviously at some of the things they were given, but I can say that my parents certainly looked after us, we had a roof over our heads, never went hungry and they did get me some nice stuff when they could afford it (just never any Marklin!). I'm the last of five in our family.

And when you had to earn that money your self with hard work you also learned to appreciate those items.

I didn't get any starter sets as a child because my father and my uncle had a Märklin layout allready.
And I had the opportunity to play with all those lovely trains under their guidance. I inherited everything
when I was 12 years old and I still have them in good condition.

1963.JPG

Cheers

Åke
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Janne75  
#19 Posted : 27 July 2016 14:31:55(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
My first set was Märklin HO Set S 2920. I got it when I was around 5-6 years old. Steam locomotive DB 89066 without lights and two green tinplate wagons. I got also some Märklin catalogs and read them every day. I was dreaming of locomotive with lights and got a 3087 (again without lights) when I was 10 years old. Later when I was around 12 years old I bought myself 3077 Rail Zeppelin with lights. These were my only locomotives when I was a child. If I had a Märklin 3000 DB BR 89 when I was a child it would have been a dream Smile . Never ever I had back then a locomotive with metal body. That must be the reason why I nowadays have 28 Märklin 3021 DB V200´s with lights and metal body LOL .

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline sjbartels  
#20 Posted : 29 July 2016 07:13:20(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Mine was my inherited Set S (but also included E, T1 and T2) that was my Grandfathers. I as the child always ended up with Tyco for Christmas and what not. I still have all of his track and the 3085 and TEE Tin Plates now that I bought across from Australia - course that as since exploded with over 100 beer cars amongst others things. However, I'll still remember those years back home in my grandfathers garage with HIS trains
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by sjbartels