Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GLI  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2016 07:18:30(UTC)
GLI

I acquired a set of the 42754 HO CIWL coaches second-hand some 18 months - 2 years ago. The coaches have never been used. I have decided that they have spent enough time in their packaging and need to have a run on my layout, but to do so, I need to remove the current pick-up shoes from the 2 baggage cars. I have carefully examined the cars and can find no obvious way to do this, and of course the coaches came without an instruction manual.

I have searched the forum but can find nothing to assist me, nor have I been able to find a manual on the Marklin website (I suspect these coaches were produced before 2000). I am unwilling to just apply any force in a random fashion as this could damage the coaches.

Is anyone able to assist me with this problem?
Offline Armando  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2016 04:16:48(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Originally Posted by: GLI Go to Quoted Post
I acquired a set of the 42754 HO CIWL coaches second-hand some 18 months - 2 years ago. The coaches have never been used. I have decided that they have spent enough time in their packaging and need to have a run on my layout, but to do so, I need to remove the current pick-up shoes from the 2 baggage cars. I have carefully examined the cars and can find no obvious way to do this, and of course the coaches came without an instruction manual.

I have searched the forum but can find nothing to assist me, nor have I been able to find a manual on the Marklin website (I suspect these coaches were produced before 2000). I am unwilling to just apply any force in a random fashion as this could damage the coaches.

Is anyone able to assist me with this problem?

Hi,

Just one candid question: Why would you need to remove both pickup shoes? At least one will have to be used to power up the interior lighting in the cars.

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline GLI  
#3 Posted : 23 July 2016 04:51:21(UTC)
GLI

Hi Armando

I intend to run the cars on a layout using electric locos picking up current from live catenary. There are no pick studs between the track so the pickup shoes have to be removed or they will catch when crossing turnouts.

Since posting the request, I have not had no response, nor have I had time myself to even take the cars out of their box to see if I can figure out how to remove the pickup shoes.

Geoff
Offline sjbartels  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2016 05:38:48(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: GLI Go to Quoted Post
Hi Armando

I intend to run the cars on a layout using electric locos picking up current from live catenary. There are no pick studs between the track so the pickup shoes have to be removed or they will catch when crossing turnouts.

Since posting the request, I have not had no response, nor have I had time myself to even take the cars out of their box to see if I can figure out how to remove the pickup shoes.

Geoff

Can you see the wire (red typically) coming from the pick up shoe into the carriage? If so, simply cut it and then, at worst, the pick up shoe is nothing more than drag, it wont short or anything that way
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline GlennM  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2016 19:26:53(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I don't have this set but IIRC the lights and slider are factory fitted, and if so the slider should be removable for replacement purposes. Do you have a picture showing the slider?
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2016 20:44:00(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi GLI,

The set 42755 is very similar to 42754. The manual should help and shows how to remove that slider:

Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/42755_betrieb.pdf

Copy the link and paste it to new window. Märklin does not allow direct linking to the manuals.

Regards

Markus