Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2016 17:07:10(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello, Everyone:

I just got myself for Father's Day a Tablet that I plan to use for both work and play.

Does anyone know if I can use it to run trains even without a CS controller? I do have an MS2 now.

Thanks.

Happy Father's Day to all.

BigGrin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2016 18:07:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Hello, Everyone:

I just got myself for Father's Day a Tablet that I plan to use for both work and play.

Does anyone know if I can use it to run trains even without a CS controller? I do have an MS2 now.

Thanks.

Happy Father's Day to all.

BigGrin

Marklin have apps for both andriod and iThingy devices. All you need to use it with your CS2 is a wifi router that you can use to connect between the two.

From memory the app does have a cost, around 10 Euro IIRC.

Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2016 18:21:08(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
All you need to use it with your CS2

I only have a MS2, not the dreaded Scared and expensive CSX.

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2016 18:55:39(UTC)
H0

Hi, Silvano!
Yes, sure.
You can solder a USB to CAN adaptor to your MS2 track box. If your tablet has USB then you can connect it to the track box and write a program that controls the trains.

Stefan Krauß did it with a PC, but it can also be done with a tablet.

I think soldering and programming are not areas of your interest, so most likely there is no easy way to run trains with your tablet and your MS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#5 Posted : 20 June 2016 00:24:01(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you all for your feedback.

Is there anything at all I can do with tablet as far as Marklin is concerned without a CSx?

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 20 June 2016 02:00:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
No, apart from what Tom suggests.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2016 08:32:41(UTC)
H0

Is there anything at all I can do with tablet as far as Marklin is concerned without a CSx?
Not without some extra hardware.

Even with CS2/CS3 you would need a WLAN access point for wireless operation. And more hardware to bridge the gap between LAN and track box (the CSx contains a track box and features a LAN socket).
You also need an App on the tablet.

In the end you might find the tablet is not the most expensive part of such a setup. What's your budget for wireless tablet train control?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 30 June 2016 00:33:18(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Thank you all for your feedback.

You can use the augmented reality features of the printed catalogs/brochures if you have that Märklin AR application.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#9 Posted : 02 July 2016 21:06:28(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Have a look here for a good and easy solution: https://www.marklin-user...-Box-and-mfx-programming
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline manos.g.darkadakis  
#10 Posted : 02 July 2016 22:44:01(UTC)
manos.g.darkadakis

Another solution like the previous message but with a raspberry pi. The board can also be ordered as ready made. Still you need a router with wifi but all have one these days..
http://www.ifoedit.com/RaspiCS2En.html

Regards Manos SV1IW
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by manos.g.darkadakis
Offline baggio  
#11 Posted : 03 July 2016 00:03:11(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
The last two posts are interesting, but far too advanced for me.

Still, if the cost of putting it all together is not too high, including installation by Mike here, I could give it a thought in future.

Does anyone know what it would cost?
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#12 Posted : 03 July 2016 00:17:21(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
The solution with the Banana Pi is about 50€ for Banana Pi and the special circuit board incl. electronic parts!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline manos.g.darkadakis  
#13 Posted : 04 July 2016 00:45:11(UTC)
manos.g.darkadakis

The board for the raspi can be ordered ready made for 32 Euro. A Raspberry pi 2 model B should be around 35 euro on E-Bay. Hardware is not an issue but you have to be familiar with Linux even though instructions are clear and of the "copy-paste" type.

Regards Manos SV1IW
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by manos.g.darkadakis
Offline baggio  
#14 Posted : 04 July 2016 14:33:02(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thanks again everyone for your helpful feedback. BigGrin

I have wi fi in the house and what I was hoping to do is simply attach a simple camera to a wagon and watch the train run on the tablet. Actually RUNNING the trains via the tablet was not quite what I had in mind, but it is of interest to me for the future.

The Marklin application is described as suitable for iphones and ipads. If so, the tablet is not supported, but I have not yet tried it. When I do, I'll let you know what comes of it.

Regards.

Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 06 July 2016 01:51:07(UTC)
Minok

United States   
You should be able to view the camera footage on the tablet, as that system (camera <-> tablet app) can be completely independent of the model railroad system.
All the tablet knows is it has an application that displays live video from a camera thats on the same wifi network. The camera being on a model train is irrelevant.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline baggio  
#16 Posted : 06 July 2016 02:58:01(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you, Minok, for the clarification. Marrying the tablet to the train is of interest to me.

I did try the Marklin application, the free one. There are two that you pay a few dollars for, not sure what they do.

I downloaded and installed the free one, but it does not work.... NOTHING happens when I try to open a catalogue. Confused

Has anyone tried it with a tablet? What about an Ipad? If so, what is the app supposed to do?

While I am at it, what about the ones you pay for? What do they do?

Offline Moritz-BR365  
#17 Posted : 06 July 2016 15:15:18(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   

The Marklin application is described as suitable for iphones and ipads. If so, the tablet is not supported, but I have not yet tried it.

There are two Märklin Apps:
MobileStation (for Android Smartphones and Android Tablets, 5.99€, but You can install on all of Your Android devices)
Main Station (for Android Tablets only, more functionality, more CS2 like)

And there is a free Android App RemoteCS2, with advertising or a Pro-Version without advertising.

I tried both, Remote CS2 and MobileStation. RemoteCS2 works better than the MobileStation, especially, with RemoteCS2 You are able to drive with the volume switches of the mobile device and to change direction with the volume switch, too. So, You don't need to look onto the display to drive the loco!

RemoteCS2

Control
UserPostedImage

Zugriff auf Lokliste, Control, Keyboard, Memory und Layout
UserPostedImage

Die Lokliste
UserPostedImage

Einstellungen
UserPostedImage

Queransicht
UserPostedImage

And this is how it looks on a tablet device:

Landscape:

Märklin

UserPostedImage

RemoteCS2

UserPostedImage

Portrait:

Märklin

UserPostedImage

RemoteCS2

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline Minok  
#18 Posted : 06 July 2016 23:32:15(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Thank you, Minok, for the clarification. Marrying the tablet to the train is of interest to me.

I did try the Marklin application, the free one. There are two that you pay a few dollars for, not sure what they do.

I downloaded and installed the free one, but it does not work.... NOTHING happens when I try to open a catalogue. Confused

Has anyone tried it with a tablet? What about an Ipad? If so, what is the app supposed to do?

While I am at it, what about the ones you pay for? What do they do?

As I don't have a Central Station I've only tried the Märklin AR app (on iOS) - AR is Augmented Reality. You specify which printed catalog you are looking at and the app loads the respective augmented reality data. The app does nothing by itself - you need the printed literature/catalog to go with it. On certain specially marked pages (there is an icon in the catalog to indicate this page is active in the AR app) you will see the augmented reality content when you point your phone/tablet's camera at that catalog page. Some of the contents are: a virtual 3d model of the part (such as the CS3) or some locomotives, you can play back the sounds of the decoder on the loco).

I don't think any of the apps will allow for an integrated camera view unless there is a camera solution approved/linked to the app. I could see Märklin possibly creating a 'cab cam' solution that would display in their apps if you purchased their camera... but they have their hands full with other stuff.
---
My YouTube Channel: